Golden Storms | #Wattys2020

By highdisdain

WINNER OF READERS CHOICE AWARDS 2020 (Historical Fiction) Stone hearts. Silver to gold. And the fierce nee... More

Golden Storms
Character Mood Boards
Prologue
1. T H E L A S T D A N C E
2. F A M I L Y
3. A J N A B E E
4. M Y T H S
5. I N T I Z A A R
6. D A W N
7. A R R I V A L
8. F I R S T L O O K
9. R E J E C T I O N
10. R O A D S
11. W O U N D
12. R E F L E X E S
13. M E R R I M E N T
14. R E S C U E M I S S I O N
15. T R A P P E D
16. A D V E N T U R E S & T R U T H S
17. T H E D E S E R T
18. P O S S E S S E D
19. D A R K N E S S
20. B U R D E N S
21. C R O S S R O A D S
22. M I S S I N G
23. D O V E
24. C H A S E - P A R T ١
25. C H A S E - P A R T ٢
26. C A U G H T
27. B R I T T L E
28. D U O
30. W A T C H D U T Y
31. I N S U R A N C E
32. B A N D I T S
33. N I G H T
34. R E T U R N
35. T H E D E A L
Sequel
Readers Choice Awards

29. S N A K E

9K 867 104
By highdisdain

A/N: Assalamualaikum Stormers! Here is another update! I hope you enjoy it ❤️ I know some of you wanted more of Amaan and Idegir but that part of the story is not quite ready in my head so I didn't try to tamper with it here. I hope you enjoy this chapter nonetheless! We've got some exciting stuff brewing!

* remember that Houssam is the seventh brother, who has been absent for most part of this book

~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wish to live this fantasy for just a little while more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~

T A I M U R
رَجَب
T H E  A R M Y

Devastating.

That was the word that came to Taimur's mind when he laid eyes on Hadeel. Her beauty was devastating. Her empty eyes were devastating. Her lack of resistance to him was devastating.

It was a poetic word really, he thought as he brushed his fingers through her brown hair, marvelling at its softness. A sigh escaped him. He could not find it in himself to regret his actions. He was a Crown Prince and she was a rare beauty. They were just meant to be.

"Sire, Khan presents himself to you" his Guard announced from outside the tent.

"Have him wait outside"

Taimur sighed once again as he propped himself up. He tilted Hadeel's chin up with one pale, slender finger, and gazed into her beautiful doe like brown eyes. She stared back without emotion, unblinking.

"You hear that, angel?" He motioned to tent entrance, "Khan. He is here to deliver good news about that wretch - Falaq Aulaad è Khalifa"

That name emitted passed his lips as a hiss. How he hated that woman. Her boldness drove him mad. Her unflinching attitude made him want to teach her where a woman belonged himself, held back only by meaningless customary standards. Of what he was expecting to find when they'd arrived in Taghrid, it was certainly not a woman who knew her worth.

Hadeel caught his attention. She was no longer gazing at him but far into the past. Those eyes were no longer empty, but filled with tears. He clasped his hands around her face gently, unable to help himself.

"What is it ya Hadeel? What makes you weep?"

He felt like a little boy entranced and desperate. But she was worth it.

"F-Falaq" Hadeel whispered, lip quivering.

Taimur released her, a hundred thoughts crossing his mind. Could it be that this woman knew the Falaq he spoke of? If that was so, had he just committed a big mistake?

Throwing on his robes, Taimur strode out into the night air. It had been several days since he dispatched Khan, and he had been eagerly awaiting his return.

Khan thumped his fist over his heart and lowered himself into a bow. He was still wearing his traveller's cloak, the hood pushed back from his head. The sight pleased Taimur - it meant that the assassin had come straight to him. He knew he could trust the man.

"Your highness" the assassin greeted him, clasping Taimur's hands and kissing them.

"Your report, Khan"

"You were correct in your assertions my Prince" Khan spoke, "the Princess lives"

Taimur's hands curled into a fist. His insides felt like they would burst in fury.

"That means..." he took in a deep breath, inhaling the cool night air, "That means Hudayfa has disobeyed my orders"

Khan said nothing. It was was wise of him.

"Has he...?"

"I'm afraid he has"

A smirk replace Taimur's grimace.

"How very interesting" He murmured, "this may work after all"

T H E T R I O
رَجَب
H I J A A Z

"I absolutely refuse!"

The shrill voice reverberated around the small clearing, causing nearby birds to take flight. They spread their brown wings and soared over the trees, the heavy sunbeams of Arabia casting their feathers a transparent coppery gold.

The voice belonged to a certain golden-eyed traveller, who was currently standing with her feet planted firmly on the ground, hands balled into fists. Though most of her features were covered, it was an easy guess as to how they were arranged – she was no short of furious.

Her companions stared at her. One looked mildly amused. The other was not quite so impressed. A muscle ticked in his jaw.

"Well, I am quiet overwhelmed with fatigue" Hudayfa shrugged his shoulders, turning his back on the fiery woman.

Falaq's jaw dropped. How dare he! The man slept with one eye open – he did not know fatigue!

"Surely you do not agree with him?" She rounded on Nuh. The amused Right Hand threw up his hands and backed away, trying not to smile.

Falaq wanted to scream.

The two assassins had formulated the wonderful idea that since she was adept with weaponry and combat, she should hunt for them tonight. As ironic as it seemed, the truth was Falaq had never hunted an animal before – they didn't need to in Taghrid where there were butchers and meat traders. The idea of shooting an innocent creature made her stomach churn – they were far purer than humans, she had no quarrel with birds and hooved animals! Besides, it was a man's job in Islam, she countered desperately.

The sun was well on its way to setting, and she was running out of time. Hudayfa was being infuriatingly patient with her tantrum, and for the first time an outburst did not move him. He seemed to have understood nonchalance countered everything.

Taking in a deep breath, Falaq prepared herself. She would simply disappear into the trees for a few hours and then return empty handed. She didn't find any prey – who could dispute that? She'd never claimed to be a huntress.

"Your bow" she snapped at Nuh, who was still smirking. He handed it to her, and she snatched it out of his hands before turning her heels and stomping away.

Hudayfa watched Falaq disappear into the trees, a small smile touching his lips.

Well into the trees, Falaq finally came to a stop. It was dark all around, with sunlight filtering softly through the leaves. The air was cooler here, cleansed by the many leaves. She found the forest calming. Glancing around, she removed the veil from her face, inhaling freely. A soft breeze tickled her exposed cheeks, and she almost smiled. It reminded her of the forests around Taghrid, where her brothers and she used to ride. Her heart felt heavy thinking about them. She had never been away from them for so long. She felt guilty for being so preoccupied with the two assassins who meant far little to her than her oldest companions. How was Ustadh, she wondered. Had he made it back to the Army with Houssam? At the very least she would be happy to see him. And Ishtar?

Do not think about this right now

Her mind chastised her. She could only pray God would bring them together.

A cracking noise caught her attention. Slowly turning her head, she could not believe her eyes. It was a small cluster of gazelle, not ten feet away, roaming through the forest in search of food. Their seemed not to have spotted her yet, and her heart began to pound. Those creatures were beautiful. Their eyes were huge and doe-like, a deep dark brown that reminded her of Ishtar. The white streaks on their faces melded perfectly with the smokey brown pigmentation around the mouth. Bodies rippling with coarse, healthy coats, and dainty legs ready to spring into flight.

SubhanAllah.

Placing an arrow ever so quietly onto the bow, Falaq strung it into place. She raised the bow with perfect form, golden eyes unflinchingly fixed on the nearest gazelle. A handsome male, the protector of his clan.

Why was it so difficult to release the arrow?

They'd been eating countless hunted creatures for the duration of their journey. Why was it so much easier to do so when she wasn't the one committing the kill?

Do it.

She had to. This was sustenance.

Taking a deep breath, she stretched the bowstring back. The arrow was poised perfectly, her aim was unquestionable. She just had to let it go.

"Do it"

Falaq did not move, even though her heart skipped a beat. She should have known he followed. Every fibre in her body was now aware of his presence, short of having eyes at the back of her head.

Hudayfa moved closer, and Falaq felt her heart could not beat faster. She felt like the gazelle, instead of the huntress. One calloused hand closed around the bow, arm stretching out over hers, the other lightly touched her elbow. His proximity was causing nerves to explode in her stomach.

"You cannot become a warrior if you cannot finish what you started"

"You mean what you started" Falaq snapped angrily, finally finding her voice.

The noise caused the gazelles heads' to shoot up. Their heads turned in unison, unblinking eyes fixated on the two humans. In an instant the male bolted, leading the rest with him.

"NOW!" Hudayfa growled, pulling her elbow back. Squeezing her eyes shut, Falaq let the arrow go.

A crash and a thump indicated she hit her target. The squealing animal writhed on the ground as his peers disappeared through the trees, their hooves pattering over the forest ground.

Falaq gasped as blood stained that beautiful coat. Her eyes were wide with horror. She felt sick inside. Hudayfa watched her with an unreadable expression. His gaze was soft. He was not angry at her, but she was angry at herself for listening to him.

"Finish what you started" she said to him coldly, throwing Nuh's bow onto the ground.

"And your Highness?" she turned to the assassin, "a warrior is not a killer"

A ghost of a smile graced Hudayfa's features.

"Sometimes Falaq," he said gently, "they are one and the same".

T H E B R O T H E R S
رَجَب
T H E  A R M Y

Dawn spread over the encampment, slowly flourishing the dusty skies of Hijaaz. The assassin army was sprawled over a tumultuous spread of land, filled with potholes and crevices. It was perfect for both assassins and snakes, and in his short time with the army Ali was not sure if he knew the difference anymore.

Zain held a pot of water, tipping it gently for Ali to preform wudhu. The two performed this ritual before the fajr prayer every single day, just as Marwan and Raza, and Ehsaan and Ibrahim did. As Ali wet his hair, he let the water cool him down. Having to pray in hiding was at the very least frustrating. His blood boiled every time he thought of what had transpired against Marwan the last time they prayed in naivety. That snake, Zuhair, had tried to kill his brother.

No, Zuhair was but following orders.

The Crown Prince had tried to kill his brother.

It was something Ali and Zain could not digest, no matter how many times their brothers told them to let it go. The two were dangerously alike, and put together their minds were working hard on how to take recompense. It was all a work in progress – they had waited months for the right opportunity but it never seemed to present itself.

"My turn" Zain muttered once Ali had cleansed his feet. He passed the pot to his brother and began to wet his hands.

"Make haste you two" Raza called from inside the tent quietly.

Zain nodded once he was finished. The two dabbed a stray cloth over their faces and headed inside the tent. Inside, the warm glow of lamps bathed their faces in soft golden light, accenting their jet black hair and eyebrows. Where Ali was more square-jawed and stockier in build, Zain was taller and slender. Ali had amber brown eyes that swirled with the fire of a short temper, whilst Zain's were a dark, cool green. The two of them had been inseparable since before they could walk.

Ibrahim took the front, whilst Ehsaan quietly recited the iqama.

Shoulder to shoulder. Feet to feet. The brothers prayed to their Lord.

As the sun rose, Ali headed back to his tent, Zain and Ibrahim in step.

"When do you think Houssam is going to find us?" Ali asked, worry lining his brow.

Ibrahim shook his head with a sigh, "I thought he would have found us a long time ago. He was due to return from Constantinople soon after we left"

"And Ustadh? It has been too long" Ali's fists clenched, "I am worried for him"

"He killed him" Zain hissed, his dark green eyes narrowing in contempt as he glanced at Taimur's tent.

"You cannot be sure" Ibrahim replied sharply

"He left assassins in Taghrid" Zain shot back, "what do you think that means?"

"Brother" Ali placed a hand on Ibrahim's shoulder, "You are looking for that venomous man's salvation. I admire that – but there is nothing to find"

"You believe I am defending him, ya Ali?" Ibrahim hissed incredulously, "I am trying to protect your behind-"

"Did you hear that?" Zain cut across the two as Ali opened his mouth to respond. The three turned their heads toward Ali's tent. The scuffling inside suddenly ceased. They exchanged looks. As if by some sort of unspoken language, they fanned out around the tent, ready to ambush their prey. Ali took a deep breath, before heading inside, highly aware he was not armed at this moment.

Inside, a pair of bloodshot brown eyes gazed back up at him.

His breath caught in his throat.

It took everything in his being to avert his eyes. For the sight before him shocked him to his core.

"Ali" Ishtar breathed.

"What-how-how did you-" he spluttered, unable to form words. Footsteps sounded behind him as Zain and Ibrahim entered the tent, flanking him. Both of them took a sharp breath as they realised who the intruder was.

"Ishtar" Ibrahim whispered, moving forward. Ishtar took a shaky step back, holding her arms out defensively in front of her body.

"Do not come near" she said sharply, even though her whole body trembled.

"What-how did you find us?"

Ishtar shook her head, a choked sound escaping her. Her heart was pounding. He had placed her here. Which meant he wanted her to find the brothers. Something was not right.

"What happened to you?" Zain asked quietly. His gaze flickered over her, studying her features acutely. She looked to be in perfect condition. Her hair flowed behind her beautifully, adorned with flowers. She wore royal Tridarian robes. Her milky white skin was as clear as a new born. But something was terribly wrong, and Zain had surmised that as his brothers gaged their shock.

"Look at me" he murmured, trying to calm the quaking woman.

Slowly, she lowered her arms, letting her hands fall loosely to her side. Those brown eyes fixated on Zain's dark green ones swirling with the darkness of a storm.

"He keeps me captive" she whispered, "He-he- I-"

"Who?" Zain pressed coldly. Ibrahim pulled his brother back, warning him with his gaze. Do not push her. Zain's jaw tightened but he nodded nonetheless, turning his back on the terrified girl. He exchanged glances with Ali. His counterpart had put two and two together, and a vein was becoming prominent on his forehead.

"You need rest" Ibrahim offered Ishtar, "We can talk later"

"No!" she burst out, "he will come for you! And he will kill me!"

"No one will hurt you" Ali snarled, something snapping inside him, "We won't let him. You are safe now Ishtar"

"No" Zain sighed, turning around, "she isn't"

Ibrahim said nothing, bowing his head in defeat.

"Wh-what do you m-mean?" Ishtar asked, her head turning to each of them for an answer. Those huge brown eyes, filled with unshed tears, were huge. Zain looked straight passed her as he spoke his next words, unable to watch those tears fall.

"His name is Taimur. He is the Crown Prince of Tridari"

"He will kill me" Ishtar whispered.

"He sent you here, didn't he?"

She nodded slowly. Behind him, Ali cursed.

To everyone's surprise Ibrahim smiled and shook his head.

"You think this is amusing?" Zain asked, anger barely reined in.

Ibrahim stood up, his blue-green eyes steady and calm.

"I was wrong to dissuade you two from seeking revenge" he conceded, the smile disappearing from his face, "forgive me"

"There was nothing to forgive" Ali clasped Ibrahim's shoulders.

"What now?" Zain muttered, running a hand through his hair.

"I have a plan" Ibrahim said. Turning to Ishtar he kneeled down once more, "I need you to trust me, can you do this?"

Ishtar nodded slowly.

"I need to return you to Taimur"

WHAT DO WE RECKON??? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Empire of Dreams By Jonoyuk

Historical Fiction

154K 10.1K 32
Set in the Golden Age of the Islamic Empire under the Abbasid Caliphate comes an epic love story! Ali and Laila are two headstrong individuals who've...
214K 13.5K 48
Most impressive ranking till date, #1 in spiritual out of 26.7k stories Date: 7/01/2021 ---- A muslim love story- "𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒂 𝒉𝒂𝒃𝒊𝒕 𝒇𝒓𝒐...
116K 7.2K 26
#1 in spiritual in Emerald Gem Awards 2020 #3 in spiritual section in Starlight Awards 2020 It is a story of a girl who love the life. Who was a liv...
4.4K 628 26
[Pride Awards 2023, hosted by official lgbtq , Romance Category Winner and 5th Place Grandwinner] The foster son of a former cupbearer marries the cu...