A Worthy Villainess

By FairoNeko

A simple story ≠ A simple life. My name is Mercury Caduceus. If you recognise this name, then you would know... More

1. Divergence
2. Investment
3. Equanimity
4. Quarantine
5. Promenade
6. Redolent
7. Convene
8. Anecdote
9. Humility
10. Solace
11. Bliss
12. Zone
13. Venerate
14. Trend
15. Fickle
16. Order
17. Lark
18. Yearn
19. Karma
20. Joy
21. Xanadu
22. Ubiquitous
23. Guise
24. Mayhem
25. Niche
26. Wordage
27. Aberrant
28. Rendezvous
29. Veracity
30. Calamity
31. Think
32. Interest
33. Manifold
34. Phantasm
35. Familiarity
36. Expiate
37. Lucent
39. Beloved
40. Secure
41. Occasion
42. Zest
43. Xylitol
44. Domain
BONUS

38. Quote

1.1K 72 15
By FairoNeko

Space is frighteningly formidable; if he is your enemy.

🦋

The noon event concludes peacefully. After having lunch together, additional guest included, Dad allows me to choose whether to stay or return to Universe Boarding House. I am thinking of checking the building, so I tell Dad I will go for now and then come back at night.

Dad is concerned about me moving between places like this, but the rest assure him that they will watch over me.

The 1st to leave is the guest, Nova Pollux. She has her driver come to pick her up. Before her carriage arrives, Miss Pollux drifts to my side and voices a question, "Are you not curious about me, at all?"

I look at her. Examining her in person like this does let me see some similarities she has with Galaxy Pollux. However, to her question, I reply, "It's not worth to be curious about you,"

So. It seems like my manner of speech is really fixed when talking to strangers. As in, it can no longer be changed. Even though I want to be cordial, I don't have a grudge or anything like that with her, it still comes out as arrogance.

Only when I am talking to family and friends that I don't sound this bad. Or so I think.

The results from my manner of speech: Nova Pollux drops her head in sadness.

The little things I heard about her from Scopus Rasalhague were mostly about her relations with Galaxy, she is the Daughter of Galaxy's Uncle, plus her health. Apparently, she has a Heart Disease. Because of this disease she was born with, she spent almost all her life in the Hospital.

Which is why Nova Pollux can be seen as weak or meek. Even though she is 1 or 2 years older than us.

When I recall the family portrait Galaxy once showed me years ago, I recall not seeing Nova Pollux in the picture. Perhaps, she was hospitalised at that time? In any case, to me, her existence and appearance is not something to be curious about.

She and I will not have anything to do with each other, is what I believe.

"I have heard a lot about you," Miss Pollux repeats suddenly, of what she said to me before, without raising her head, "Everyone who knows you seems to like you a lot,"

"It's because they are my friends," I respond casually, "If you heard from my enemies, it will be a different story,"

"Isn't that right?" Miss Pollux raises her head to giggle. Then, she sighs, sounding envious, "To have so many friends who genuinely like you..."

It is natural for her to be envious, because of her health problem. I doubt she manages to befriend a lot of people; or have the chance to do that. Even so, I do not offer her my friendship.

Not yet.

Whilst she chatters on, I halfheartedly respond to her. My attention is drawn towards my friends who are scattered inside the living room. They aren't talking. Not to each other.

It reminds me of what Scopus mentioned. Friends being unfriendly.

I close my eyes, knowing that my decision on finally letting them know my choice will worsen their relationship further. Yet, I have delayed them long enough. Even if we truly break apart... I will not turn my back on them.

They will still be my friends, even if one-sidedly.

🦋

After returning to find Universe Boarding House intact, and before I leave for Caduceus Mansion again, Space pulls me aside, to the study room, and lock us in there.

It is to keep out the eavesdroppers, he claims.

As I walk to the couch, I marvel at the fact that I don't need the help of crutch to walk anymore. What a majestic feeling.

"I have something to show you, Mercury," following me to the couch, Space sits beside me and takes out 1 of his smartphones

I wait for him to open a video recording and shows me what he intends. It is a recording from the angle of a CCTV on the rooftop of Universe Boarding House. Well, Space did install a lot of hidden cameras around the building under my permission. I never know the sound is also recorded though.

I look at the hidden camera inside the study room, not seeing the video recording in Space's smartphone, and ask him, "A month ago, did you watch when I talked with Galaxy?"

Space chooses silence.

I turn to him, with heavy judgemental eyes.

Space pouts, not repentant, "I only watched the day after though,"

I release a big sigh. That's still no good. While I don't mind having a record for future references, I do mind having other people witnessing the record, unless given permission. With Space in control of surveillance cameras' recordings...

Well. As long as Space keeps quiet about what he sees and hears, it should be fine.

Space is delighted. Grinning, he leans on me, "Thank you for your trust in me, Mercury~"

Trust? Is it? If Space thinks so.

I finally turn my attention to his smartphone, witnessing a scene of Horo and Scopus Rasalhague on the roof, talking to a woman who is...their relative?

"When you were in a coma, some people came to visit or check on us. Not unexpected, since there was an invasion and then your case," Space explains, referring to Jupiter Io's case also, "She is their Mother, coming to inspect Universe Boarding House,"

"Seeing as they are still here, Universe Boarding House passed her inspection?" I absentmindedly turn up the volume to listen to what they discussed, to see how important it is, for Space to show it to me

[The 2 of you have been unruly ever since you were mere babies,] for a Mother to say that to her Sons, the twins must really be a handful, [I still love you, nevertheless,]

The twins did not reply to her. Because their backs were to the camera, I can't see what kind of expressions were on their faces.

[I accept and try to support you on your choices without interfering,] their Mother said, [There are a lot of examples, but we will only recall several relevant ones,]

[If you don't mind, just get to the point already,] Horo didn't sound impatient or rude even though he talked like that

A Mother who was too used to her Son's too informal way of speech can only sigh, [Very well. I don't mind you 2 befriending Sir Caduceus's Daughter, because I know to not blame the Child for a Mother's misconduct,]

[So, it is about Mercury, after all...] Scopus sounded upset

[It is about her, yes,] finally, the Mother did not hide her intention and nodded, [I know you 2 have been missing her since we moved away in the past. I am glad that you 3 are back to being friends again. Those, I don't mind,]

[However,] sounding stern, the Mother looked at her Sons, [You 2 are not allowed to like the same person, regardless of who she is,]

[Why not?] Scopus asked, [We are being peaceful about it, aren't we?]

[This is not only about you,] the Mother shook her head, [It is about society. Even if you are not who you are, nobody will approve of such a relationship,]

[How fair is the world when a man who has many wives is envied whilst a woman who has a lot of suitors is frowned upon?] Horo snarked

[We don't really need society's approval though,] Scopus pointed out the truth in his view

[If you are not my Sons, I would not care about this,] feeling a headache, seeing as she held her head in exasperation, the Mother sighed again, [Okay. Ignore society. The Rasalhague Household will not let you 2 off because of this. Brother-in-law's case is bad enough,]

This shut the twins up. It makes me curious to know about the internal predicament in Rasalhague Household. How bad is it, to have the ex-Wife intrudes on them like that?

I feel slightly sorry towards the twins because of this.

[And I,] continuing, the Mother looked at her Sons sharply, [I will never accept the 2 of you to be with Mercury Caduceus. Even if you don't mind 'sharing',]

I wince at that. Somehow, hearing such a thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I never thought of doing anything remotely like that. Sharing? What a joke. I am someone who only likes 1 person and never will accept even the thought of sharing that person with anyone.

That said, I will not let them share me either.

I suppose the time for me to make things clear with them is getting nearer, from the already tight schedule.

[Don't make it sound like we are doing something indecent,] Horo complained at his Mother

[Our feelings are pure,] so said Scopus, sounding like he was sulking

[That's even worse,] their Mother shook her head again, [Once Miss Caduceus has chosen someone as her lover, and it's not you, what will you do?]

The twins couldn't give an answer, because they were busy imagining it. And were pretty occupied with whatever they imagined.

[I haven't met Miss Caduceus; but from what I heard from you 2, she has been putting every suitor at a distance, right?] their Mother crossed her arms as she stared down her Sons, [I am hoping she is more sensible than you 2, and the suitors, to know not to do something foolish,]

A brief silence for them to gather their thoughts. The twins' Mother then asked, [Tell me honestly, Miss Caduceus, is she someone who will purposefully hang her suitors?]

[Not at all!] Horo quickly came to my defence

[Mercury is not like that,] Scopus also tried to explain for me, [Truthfully, Mercury just thinks of us highly as her friends and do not wish to change our current dynamic,]

[What if she already has someone she likes, but unable to confess because of the pressure you put on her to choose you?] Mother Rasalhague gave a very...understanding inquiry

It's as if she knew what a person in my position experienced or expected.

Space, also watching the recording beside me, furrows his eyebrows and whispers, "This is why I wanted to show it to you, Mercury. Are we unknowingly putting pressure on you?"

"Yes," I answer truthfully; because that's the fact. Everyone wants me to choose them, but...

I don't want to lose my friendship with them by finally choosing someone who has been on my mind for a long time. Which is not them, as they expected. That has been my dilemma for a very long time.

Hearing my words, Space widens his eyes, caught off guard. He asked, but he is not ready for the answer. How foolish.

I can see that Space is feeling conflicted. He is not sorry for his confession, but he is distressed to know that I feel pressured because of it. No matter which, Space cares about me. I understand that much.

To know that each of them truly cares about me in their own ways; which is why I have been hesitant to reject them, to hurt them with my rejection. But, seriously, putting off my response to their confessions is not good either.

Sighing, I firm my resolve. I really, really, can't and shouldn't hold back anymore.

As if knowing what is coming, Space looks scared for a second. Then, he looks away from me.

The twins inside the video recording were not talking either, as if they were aware of what their Mother meant.

[I wish Miss Caduceus a quick recovery,] Mother Rasalhague finally said this, as if she had reached her goal of imparting wisdom to her Sons, [Leave a way for yourself. Don't just put your everything on Miss Caduceus and hope to be chosen If you really care about her as you claimed, you should know why she hasn't been letting down her guard,]

While sending their Mother down the stairs, the video recording changes to other cameras following their way, Horo spoke up, [Mom, even though you haven't met Mercury yet, you do care about her, don't you?]

[Naturally. I am not a heartless person,] Mother Rasalhague responded casually, [Even though it wasn't full of pleasant interactions, I know her Parents. In the past, I did have several chances to hold her when she was a baby too,]

[Mom,] Scopus sounded like a spoiled child with the way he called his Mother, [Do you think we should tell Mercury what you made us realise?]

[It is up to you,] Mother Rasalhague turned to look at her Sons, [It is unclear to me who Miss Caduceus truly holds dear. However, even if she does like you, either Horo or Scopus; know that I will not consent to your relationship,]

Horo and Scopus dropped their heads, not responding to their Mother's words. Before leaving the Universe Boarding House, at the door, Mother Rasalhague reminded her Sons, [Don't forget, even if you have the freedom to stay here, you still have responsibilities and fiancées,]

[Ugh,] Horo finally reacted, unhappily

Scopus sighed, [Let's leave that for other years. Now, I only want Mercury to wake up and for us to be happy again,]

Mother Rasalhague looked thoughtful, [Once she wakes up, I would like to have time to chat with her. Please arrange it for me, Horo, Scopus,]

[We will see, Mom,] Horo didn't immediately agree

Mother Rasalhague smiled briefly at her Sons, feeling somewhat amused, then turned away and left the sight of the camera.

I close the video recording and return the smartphone back to Space, who seems to be lost in thought. Standing up, I remember something and ask him, "Are you in a good shape to drive me back home?"

The ones with cars are me and Space. I have just recovered, Dad doesn't feel it's safe for me to drive alone. If Space can't drive me there, then I would have to ask someone else, driving my car, maybe? Cosmos Altarf is free, isn't he?

"Hm?" Space barely snaps out from his thought, "Oh. That. I don't think I can drive you back without accident this time,"

I feel slightly amused by Space's honest admission, "I see," I give a nod, "Then, go to rest 1st. I will ask others to drive me back,"

Space nods, standing up and following me out from the study room. Seeing how dazed he is, Nebula Spica is very worried as he follows Space up the stairs. Having the experience of seeing Space in a life-or-death situation has made Nebula becomes more sticky and overprotective of his only living relative.

I scan the living room, trying to find Cosmos to no avail. Through a call, I easily summon him.

Horo, who is still in the living room, asks me with apprehension, "What happened to Space?"

"I don't know how to say it," I respond with an honest expression on my face

My words make Horo feels more confused. Just what exactly happened in there?

"I'm here~ Do you miss me?" from wherever he was, Cosmos is here now

"I told you, I need you to drive me back because Space is...not in a good shape," I am rather vague when describing Space's state

"I know," Cosmos nods at me, "I have your car's key with me too," showing the evidence, Cosmos then hurries me, "Let's go~"

"Bye," I wave at Horo whilst following Cosmos leaving Universe Boarding House

Before arriving at Caduceus Mansion, when passing a street with a Pharmacy, I ask Cosmos to stop. Entering the Pharmacy alone, I buy what I need for my plan and then board the car again.

Cosmos is curious, but he doesn't ask much.

Once he drops me off at Caduceus Mansion, Cosmos drives away after wishing me a Good Night.

I look at my car, without me as the driver, as it gets smaller the further it goes. 1 by 1. It seems like, after I woke up, I am not the only 1 who has changed. In the past, wouldn't Cosmos take this chance to play with me?

This should be something I am grateful for; because it fits my plan. However, I do feel somewhat lonely as well.

What is the state we would be left after I execute my plan?

Knowing the timing is not right, should I still insist on doing it?

Of course.

Now, I should consult with Dad about the plan before implementation...

🦋

The next day, when I check my smartphone's notifications, I see a piece of surprising news.

Venus [Asterism is admitted to Hospital]

The cause? A fever. It's not a serious fever, but because it's Asterism, basing on previous experience, they decide to just send the young man to Hospital without delay.

When I saw him yesterday, he didn't look like he had a fever. However, recalling the evening, I didn't check on his condition... Perhaps, he caught a fever by then?

In February, the air is still cold. Not unexpected for Asterism to catch a fever because of it. However, to have the tenants of Universe Boarding House entering the Hospital in succession... I wonder if I need to have someone check our Feng Shui?

En.

This thought reminds me of Intan Wijaya. She loved fortune-telling, didn't she?

I get ready for the day and ask Dad to drive me to the Hospital when he goes to work. Dad is somewhat surprised to hear Asterism got hospitalised. Without trouble, Dad drops me at the Hospital's entrance and I arrive at Asterism's ward by myself, with the oral assistance by the receptionist.

Inside the room, Asterism is slumbering and I see nobody else in here.

Standing at the bedside, I look at Asterism's face. His face is a little red and he has sweats on his forehead. I look up at the AC, then down at Asterism's face. To sweat in this cold room, Asterism's sickness can be considered serious, in my humble opinion.

I look around, finding a piece of cloth and wet it to wipe the sweats. Done with that, not afraid of getting sick by staying in the same room with a patient, I take a seat on the foldable chair and take out my smartphone to relax.

Currently, I am waiting for next week to resume classes. Since I have missed 1 month of classes, losing 1 more week is not a problem. It will be a problem if there are projects which I missed, however. How do I collect credits?

Thinking of this, I check my mails, reading the ones Venus sent about Management Department. There are a couple of projects to be done, with the due dates nearing. If I rush it, I might be able to finish them on time.

Rushing University projects... Why not? I am experienced in those things as Rika Wulandari.

Somewhat amused by those thoughts, I start to plan out my schedules.

As Mercury Caduceus, I previously regarded Rika Wulandari as the Narrator. However, that's not exactly right. The Narrator was just pieces of memory about the otome game which I recollected.

Once I know my schedules, I start to think of implementing them. However, I lack a laptop. It will be better if it's my own laptop. That said, I left my laptop at my room in Universe Boarding House.

Glancing at the slumbering Asterism, I decide to leave. It's time to go back.

As for how? Contacting the drivers to let them know I am in the Hospital? Nah. I will just take a Taxi.

Going down the floors, I somehow end up meeting Nova Pollux. It seems like she is here for a check-up after feeling slightly unwell yesterday. She is here alone, without anybody accompanying her.

"Miss Caduceus!" Miss Pollux appears delighted to see me

"Miss Pollux," I return the greeting cordially

"Are you on your way back?" approaching me, Miss Pollux smiles

"Yes," I give a simple nod in respond

Looking around, Miss Pollux tilts her head and questions, "Why are you here alone?"

"Visit," I do not give a clear answer

"Oh. Isn't that right?" Miss Pollux draws the conclusion herself, "You must be here for a check-up after discharged... Like me," at this point, Miss Pollux looks helpless, "I am also here for a check-up. However, I am done now,"

I blink at her, not sure how she wants me to respond.

Opening and closing her mouth, Miss Pollux then asks, "Do you have anyone to drive you back? May I tag along? That way, I won't need to trouble my driver,"

"You don't mind troubling mine then?" I examine her reaction, seeing her feeling a little sheepish, before allowing, "I plan to take a Taxi,"

"Taxi," Miss Pollux seems to be astonished, "You know how to take a Taxi?"

"It's easy," I tell her, not quite sighing at the typical Missy trope, "You want to follow along? I don't guarantee a comfortable ride,"

"Then, I will trouble you," slightly bowing her head, Miss Pollux accepts my offer

It seems like she is starting to filter my words, "Suit yourself,"

There is already a Taxi service at the Hospital. I only need to give the address provided by Miss Pollux and drop her to her residence before going back to Universe Boarding House.

Inviting Miss Pollux to Universe Boarding House then ask somebody to drive her home? Nope. Never thought of doing that.

Personally, I don't want other people intruding Universe Boarding House. When I wasn't there to stop them, it is hopeless. However, when I can, I will delay the inevitable.

On the way to Miss Pollux's residence, she leans closer to me and whispers, "So, this is what it feels like to sit in a Taxi. The interior is cleaner than I thought,"

I find it odd that Miss Pollux's concern about Taxi is on that point. However, thinking about it, she probably was told a lot of bad things about public transportations, to deter her curiosity and raising the chance for kidnapping.

Being the Granddaughter of the great Gravity Pollux and all.

Even though I sort-of extended an invitation for her to tag along, I don't guarantee her safety. If something were to happen to her, then too bad.

"I feel a little embarrassed," Miss Pollux suddenly says, in a normal volume, "To have you send me back... I was the one to hold you back from going home right away," turning to me, Miss Pollux gives a suggestion, "Why don't we send you back 1st?"

"No need to concern yourself with that," I wave off her suggestion, "It's more important to send you back in 1 piece. Your family should be worried because you didn't tell them you go home with me, did you?"

I didn't see her contacting anyone. Perhaps, hearing no news from her, they would think Miss Pollux is kidnapped. And the kidnapper is me.

"Oh," Miss Pollux sounds, "You are right. I was too excited about taking a Taxi that I have totally forgotten it,"

Giving me an embarrassed look, Miss Pollux takes out her smartphone and sends a message relaying her safety.

I look out the windows, seeing Miss Pollux's silhouette through the glass's reflection.

It's official. It is not just a hunch. Nova Pollux does not like me.

Unlike Neptune Larissa, Jupiter Io, or even Saturn Enceladus who sincerely regard me as a bother, a hated person, and a rival respectively. Towards this Nova Pollux, the way she gently smiled at me and the kind words she said to me...

I perceive no sincerity.

What is the reason for her to communicate with me? An attempt to make her seems like an open-minded person to the twins?

Also, even though I only interact with her 2 times at most, I already find her unpleasant.

She is just...too calculative, perhaps?

Fake is the word, but why do I think she is more the calculative type?

Unlike Sir Gravity Pollux, Miss Pollux's calculative disposition gives me a bad feeling. Towards Sir Gravity, I only felt exasperation. I never felt threatened.

Oh. I understand it now. The difference is in the intention behind the calculation. Sir Gravity only used me to motivate Galaxy. He didn't mean to harm me.

Now then, what is Miss Pollux's intention for approaching me?

My expressions do not change at all even though my thoughts have been running nonstop. Once the Taxi drops off Miss Pollux at the gate of her residence, I watch as her maids welcome her back in a flurry. They look relieved to see her in 1 piece.

And they also look towards the Taxi driver and me with unfavourable gazes.

I turn my gaze away from this bunch of people, asking the Taxi driver to drive away. Wanting to quickly leave, the Taxi driver agrees. I give the address of the street near Universe Boarding House, letting him drop me off there instead of in front of my destination.

I think, before I resume school, I will let the young men know who I want as my boyfriend. That is the person I like...

A sudden text message notification snaps me out from thought. Checking my smartphone, I blink at the words.

Saturn [May I rent a room in your Universe Boarding House?]

Mercury [Sure. When will you be moving in?]

Saturn [This April]

Mercury [All right. See you later]

Saturn [Thank you very much]

I smile slightly, thinking this Junior to be cute. Using polite speech to request something, not bad. I guess I will let the tenants know we will be getting a new member soon.

En. How many people will continue staying at Universe Boarding House once I let them know my choice?

We will see.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

570K 35.5K 48
𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐞𝐛𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐮𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬, 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠 �...
611K 31K 32
1ST BOOK OF BRIDE SERIES✨✨ Don't do this, leave my parents, don't ruin my life, I will die. She was begging infront of him joining her both hands. Th...
953K 61.1K 32
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
2.5M 208K 94
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...