The Gifted Hybrid

By gifted_nerd

BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a... More

Just A Hunch
A Long Bus Route
Camp Spirit
Protection
Powerless
I'm Sorry
First Gift
Your Special
Fast Learner
No Way In
First Attempt
Second Gift
Flashback
Full Moon
Just Try
Its You
Thank You
Book 66
A Sign
Darkness
Our Secret
The Dream
Believe Me
Bad Manners
Questions
You'll See
Relation
An Idea
Good Poison
Practice Makes Perfect
A Favor
Instinct vs Reflex
Just Talk
Triggered
Settled In
A Leader
Metal Eyes
Feelings
Visions Told Truth
Nervous Is Good
Powerful
Marked
Real Deal
A Choice
Author's Note
Next Book Reveal
ITS TIME!!!
Checking in...
THANK YOU!

See The Truth

1.2K 49 7
By gifted_nerd

This morning I woke up earlier than I've ever did since I've been here. The sun was just rising, I could feel it outside of my window even though it was closed. I sat up and looked over into Mia's bed and to my surprise, she was still sound sleep. I closed my eyes and listened, the only noise that echoed to me was her snoring from across the room.

Pushing the cover off of me, I slid out of bed and went to use the bathroom. I did my best to stay quiet while I got dressed before heading toward the door. The clock read, 7:21am, before I closed the door behind me. The hall were silent as I made my way past each door toward the steps. I had no idea where I was heading off too, but my feet knew so the rest of my body just followed.

Yesterday was crazy, I didn't expect any of what happened to happen. Or maybe I should, those High Rollers are out for me only and they will stop at nothing I'm sure just to get my blood. After our talk session, I had called Dad.

I felt this sort of guilt in me everytime I would think about him and not call him. He told me not to call as much but of course I would, he's my dad and he's the only family I have left. I always wondered about my aunts, uncles, grandparents, but I never asked Mom and Dad about them and since they had never brung it up, I thought it was best not too.

He picked up the phone after a couple rings and I was so happy to just here from him. God I worried about him so much and even though I would tell him that, he would tell me not too. I just couldn't help it.

"I miss you too Zoe sweetheart"

Just hearing his voice brought a smile to my face. I told him about what happened and I noticed his tone seem to change.

"Midnight blood Zoe? Are you sure? I've never heard of anything like that, it sounds dangerous"

"Dad it's my blood, it's not something I can just take. Plus I had a dream and in the dream Mom was there and she said it, I will never forget that"

He hadn't said anything for seconds until I heard a noise, "what's that?" I asked him.

"I just set the phone down, your on speaker. You know Zoe, I was thinking maybe I should come visit if they let me"

"Dad yess, please do!" I huge smile spreads across my face, "that would be great"

"Don't get your hopes up Zo, I have been pretty busy here lately"

I nod as if he can see me, "okay"

"Anything else you want to tell me sweetheart?" His voice sounded closer now.

"No, I just miss you that's all" I tell him.

"Okay, I love you Zoe and I'm proud of you" he tells me.

"I love you too" I take the phone away from my ear about to hang up but then he speaks again.

"Hey Zo?"

"Yeah Dad?"

"Your Mom would be proud of you too"

That was the last thing he had said before hanging up the phone and it hasn't stopped playing in my head since. I missed her too and I know she would be.

I continued along the hall toward Margaret's office. I looked up into the ceiling and I hadn't noticed the perfect design until now. The light from the chandeliers reflected off the design which gave it a gold color. My eyes scanned the entire hall ceiling, the same design all the way down in each corner and back. It looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on where I'd seen it.

I stopped at Marg room and held my ear against the door to listen. I heard the sounds of her snores coming from inside. I stood back from the door and close my eyes again focusing on the sounds that vibrated through the entire building. The quiet sounds of everyones sleep, I opened my eyes and smiled to myself.

I really liked the powers I've gained. Before I would never have imagined myself to wield such gifts but now that I have them, I wouldn't trade them for anything. The Midnight Blood has been the greatest gift of all. But even though it has helped me so much, I can't over due it. I need to learn control and focus on expanding my hearing, jumps and speeds I have obtained. I need to find some time alone to just focus.

My feet moved again along the wooden floors toward the media room. I opened the door and stepped in, the room is completely empty but cold. It's not an unbearable cold, it just sits in the air. I close the door behind me and head over to the desk first to grab a paper and pen. Then I head over to the computers and turn one on. I didn't really like relying on the internet for information but it's the only thing I have right now.

I went to the internet and the first thing that popped in my head was Midnight Blood so I typed it in the search box hoping that it gave me some type of info. The screen showed a bunch of pictures and books but nothing that I could use. I scrolled down and still nothing so I tried another search for Hybrid with Midnight Blood.

It showed one search and I clicked on it. It brought me to a website called Haven. The website read Hyrbids at the top, underneath listing all the different types of hybrids, what they do and the power they hold. I kept scrolling until I came across the passage about a girl who willed so much power, she was killed. My eyes scanned the entire passage and one word stuck out in all black caps.

Midnight Blood

I sat back in my chair. This was the girl I read about in that book, she was killed because she couldn't handle the power she had. Would that happen to me? She was hybrid and she was given the power like me, but why? Why did I have it?

I exited the internet and turned off the computer. I got out of my seat and walked over to the shelves for the book. The same book that I haven't touched in a while, my hands ached to open it to see what I'd find. So I picked it out of the crowd of other books around and I ran my hand over the cover.

The prints. The same pattern of design that are in the halls is the same as the ones on the front of the book, that's where I remember them from. But how?

I looked toward the door, no one came in and I was still the only person in the room before I turned back toward the book I was holding and I opened it. There was nothing on the first page but then a big gust of strong wind came out of nowhere and my hair was all over the place, my eyes shut tight and the pages of the book flipped but the book stayed in my hand. The the wind just stopped. And everything went back still again as I looked around the room, nothing. The door was still shut.

I look down at the book and words started to appear. Words that I had no clue of what they mean but something told me that I would need them. So I brung the book to the table and pulled the paper and pen out of my pocket to write them down as they appeared on the paper.

Dark power seeps through her skin
Awakening the goddess within
Powerful, twisted and so dark
Pain and sorrow awakened a spark
Dangerous to the touch
Lethal in the eyes,
Every full moon
Her power grew twice in size
Midnight was in her blood
And she was the only one
When this book disappeared
She knew her time was done

After writing the words down, I stuffed the paper in my pocket. I had no idea what to do with the poem but hopefully I can figure it out. With the book in hand, I walked back over to the shelf. I placed it in the same spot and stepped back. As I stood there, I felt someone behind me. Just staring and not saying anything, I could feel the cold on my back.

I turned around slowly and there stood a girl. She was pale, about the same height as me and she had red hair. Her eyes were purple just like mine. She wore a white gown and some white shoes.

"Who are you?" I said in a low voice. I just stood there staring at her as she did the same to me. She didn't say anything.

Then she held out her hand in a fist and my heart sped up. I didn't have my dagger and I had no idea who she was, why she was here right now. She kept her eyes on me as she slowly opened her fist, inside appeared a small piece of paper. I realize it was the same paper that I just wrote the poem on.

I opened my mouth to say something but from the palm of her hand, the pale of her skin began to turn black. Everything, it was like a poison so dark making it's way all over her body. From her arms to her body, legs and face. I swallowed and stepped back but I hit the book case. The same strong wind came again and this time when I opened my eyes to look at the girl, she was no longer herself.

Her eyes were so dark, so black just like her skin. Her entire figure held a black aura around it, her hair was blonde and she wore a purple tank with white pants and some sneakers.

She was...me.

I was looking at a mirror image of myself and whatever I did she did the same. I stepped closer to her. She couldn't hurt me, she wasn't even real. She was just a fragment of my imagination. She took the same step toward me and we stood about a foot away from each other now. I tilted my head and she did the same.

She can't hurt you Zoe.

I lifted my right hand and she did the same lifting her left. I reached out, this feels wrong. Don't touch her Zoe, stop! But I couldn't, I reached out to her hand with a finger and she used the same finger of her left hand. My finger touched hers and the dark aura around her turned to wind and blew my body back a couple feet as she disappeared. The darkness whooshed around me causing my hair to fly up with it. It made it's way up toward the ceiling like a tornado of black smoke. The darkness of the room began to fade back to it's natural light as the cloud screamed it's way through the ceiling until there was nothing left.

I continued to stare at the empty ceiling like I was waiting for whatever just happened to come back any moment. But it didn't, and as I stood there I began to feel sick. My hand went to my stomach and the other went to my mouth. I rushed toward the door and into the hallway to the nearest trashcan. I leaned over the edge and threw up some type of liquid. It wasn't food at all, it was dark and it was as thick as blood.

"Zoe?"

I looked over at Margaret as she stood in front of her door. She had a very confused look on her face.

"You okay? Where have you been?" She asked 

"Yeah I'm fine, I- wait what did you say?" I wiped my mouth and stood up straight.

"We've been looking for you Zoe, we thought you were out in the woods or something happened to you-"

"What are you talking about Marg? I was in the media room the entire morning"

Her eyebrows came together, "no, I sent Mia to the media room and she said you weren't there at all"

I looked at her and she stared at me. The book. Its that book.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"What?"

"What time is it Marg?!" I bum rush the words out my mouth.

She checked the watch on her wrist and looked up at me, "its 3pm"

"Your kidding"

"Zoe what's going on?" I hear her say. The blood has rushed to my ears and I have no idea whats happening right now. I feel sick, the bile in my throat is coming up again but I swallow it back down. I looked into the trash and the black liquid that came up earlier is no longer there.

"I'm heading up to my room, I need to lay down" I tell her.

"Okay, let me know if you need anything" she smiles and I nod.

I head toward the steps slowly and look up at the ceiling, at the same design on the book. It makes my head feel dizzy so I turn away and notice everyone scattered by the door in the lobby. I don't stop to talk to anyone, I head for the stairs and ascend up them until I get to the top. I walked pass the rooms to my left  but then one of the doors open and out comes Madison.

"Hey Zoe, where ya headed?" She smiles.

"Just to my room to lay down" I force a smile and put my hands in my pocket. My heart drops at the note I forgot was in there so I pull it out and look at Madison. I know I shouldn't but I do it anyway, I show her it and ask her if she knows what it could mean.

"Do you have any idea?"

She reads the poem over and over with a confused expression on her face but nothing comes to her head, I can see that clearly.

"Zoe where did you get this?"

"I just found it" I lie, I feel like if I tell her the truth it'll only lead to something else. Something I won't be able to get out of.

"Well, I have no idea what it means but I'm sure there may be something in the media room that you can look at to help you find out what it means" she hands me the paper back.

I nod, "thanks" she smiles and heads for the stairs.

I head toward the room and open the door. Mia isn't in here and the room is dark even though its the middle of the day. I don't do anything to bring in the light, lately the darkness has been my bestest friend and I want to keep it that way. I don't try to go and find Mia either, I move the covers, remove my shoes and climb into the bed hoping this little nap will ease the tension in my body.

A/N: guys I know I took forever to write this, I'm sorry :( here's another chapter for you. I will write the next chapter 2morrow. Thank you guys for almost 700 reads! ILY x
Please vote by clicking the star at the bottom of the page <☆>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.8K 864 41
Welcome to the universe of The Underworlds! Meet Amelia Ray, a troubled 16 year old trying to make it through life on her own. She has been bouncing...
28.3K 1.6K 93
I opened my mouth, feeling saliva fill around my tongue and I sunk my fangs in. His pulse hammered against my teeth and tongue and I bit down. Doctor...
220K 8.3K 60
[COMPLETED] BOOK ONE of the LACKING HUMANITY SERIES * * * In a cold and damped cell lies a young she-wolf whose life is controlled by scientists. All...
4.5K 253 34
Quirky, Ricky Vera is unexpectedly sent to Durango, Colorado to spend the summer with his uncle. The fourteen-year-old's last-minute trip does nothi...