Four Letter Word (Completed)

By GenHope

There's so many positive 4 letter words: Love Like Hope Care Life Then there's negative: Hate Evil Dead For o... More

Cast
- Introduction -
-1-
-2-
-3-
-4-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-8-
-9-
-10-
-11-
-12-
-13-
-14-
-15-
-16-
-17-
-18-
-19-
-20-
-21-
-22-
-23-
-24-
-25-
-26-
-27-
-28-
-29-
-30-
-31-
-32-
-33-
-34-
-35-
-36-
-37-
-38-
-39-
-40-
-41-
-42-
-43-
-44-
-45-
-46-
-47-
-48-
-49-
-51-
-52-
-53-
-54-
-55-
-56-
-57-
-58-
-59-
-60-
-61-
-62-
-63-
-64-
-65-
-66-
-67-
-68-
-69-
-70-
-71-
-72-
-73-
-74-
-75-
-76-
-77-
-78.1-
-78.2-
-79-
-80-
Epilogue
Alternate Ending

-50-

13.1K 856 1.1K
By GenHope

S5

- Chapter 50 -
Loyalty

I sit in my walk-in closet of my Manhattan penthouse staring at the designer gown hanging up contemplating if I still want to go tonight. I'm attending dinner with my father and the judge overseeing my case to see if we can work some charm on him. Maybe we can work out a deal or get the case dropped altogether. I can only hope this doesn't backfire on me.

I drop my robe to the floor grabbing the designer dress putting it on. Once I've zipped it up I put on a pair of gold YSL heels. While reapplying lip gloss I take a deep sigh. I missed being in New York City, but it just doesn't feel the same. Everything is so different. Everyone I considered to be my close friends that were apart of my daily life aren't around anymore...

They're not around because I decided to distance myself from them. Draco, Paloma, Rhea, Athena, and there's more than that. And with this distance I've had nothing but peace and no drama therefore confirming the source comes from other people. And as much as I want to reach out to these people and go on about life like it used to be I can't. Even when I did reach out to Draco to ask him about Cordelia's date to prom and if he knows the young man, he didn't answer or get back to me.

It's crazy how you go from talking to and seeing someone everyday then you don't. I look around my closet laughing to myself when I think about Christmas when Draco came over drunk and we had sex in here. From that day everything changed. We got closer and we were always together. For once in my life I lived recklessly and it backfired on me.

When my phone rings I get out of my thoughts looking at my phone seeing it's my Dad. "Hello?"

"I'm downstairs."

"I'm coming," I respond grabbing my gold clutch and phone before going downstairs. It's quiet so I can only assume that my sister, Miranda, isn't here. I ride the elevator down to the lobby walking out of the building getting into my Dad's Rolls Royce Phantom. "Hi, Dad," I greet him seeing he's wearing a black suit.

"Hello, sweetheart." He looks over at me as I put my seatbelt on. "I was hoping you would wear something more revealing," my father says bluntly looking me up and down.

I look down at my dress. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing? I'm not trying to seduce the judge. Are you crazy?"

"I'm not saying you have to sleep with him. Just flirt. Give him something to look at. A little cleavage could help. What happened to those breast implants you spent all that money on?"

"The ones you gave me a lecture on despite me being grown and paying for them myself? The ones you said made me look like a 'cheap playboy pinup whore'?" I say using his words. "I had them removed a couple years ago," I say with a scoff closing my gold clutch after putting my phone in it.

"Those weren't my better days. Well, I hope your mouth can help you out of this situation." I look at him sideways. "That came out wrong. Your mouth as in talking. You're a smart woman, so use that brain to convince the judge you're innocent."

"I am innocent," she breathes out harshly as her father puts the car in drive and pulls off.

"Not completely. You still killed a man." Desmond Garnet has always been a very straightforward, blunt, and no nonsense type of man. It's something I always hated because he never has a filter. He doesn't care who you are even his daughter. This mentality made him a successful entrepreneur worth billions, but outside of that many people don't like him.

"Self defense," I argue.

"That's debatable to the judges and the public at this current time."

"What's debatable? It was caught on camera that they were trying to kidnap me."

"Everything's debatable when you're involved in a trial where it's either guilty or innocent. You don't control that. The judge and jury does, so it is debatable. You've now been informed of the New York City laws when it comes to self-defense, so it's not a black and white situation. At this dinner you need to play up the victim side. Make them sympathize with you. Your half white, it's somewhere in there."

"What?" I ask looking at my Dad sideways.

"All White women have the ability to make black people look like the aggressor and play victim. Use that tonight," he says with a laugh. He's such a serious and intense person, I can never tell when he's joking or dead serious.

"Dad..."

"You know I'm telling the truth. I was married to a white woman for thirty plus years. Use your privilege to your advantage. Make them out to be the thugs and gangsters they really were, especially the one you killed."

"You do realize when I walk in that room with you, my father, they're going to see a Black woman."

My father immediately laughs. "Hardly. You have a lot of things working in your favor. Your skin tone, hair, features, upbringing, education, last name, and financial status. You're Desdemona Garnet. You had privilege and an advantage the minute I became the first black man in my industry and the minute I made my first eight and nine figures. If you didn't would we be going to dinner with the judge on your case in the first place?" He asks looking over at her. "You wouldn't even get the opportunity. The only place you would be seeing him is in the courtroom behind that bench."

"If I'm so privileged why do we even have to go to this dinner and convince him of my innocence? He should drop the case off our last name alone. On GP."

Desmond laughs. "They're trying to get as much press off this as they can. They might even be trying to make an example out of you simply because they never wanted to see my Black ass from the hood of Detroit make it." He pauses. "And GP? Do you even know what that means? Since when did you start talking like that?"

I shrug. "I work with a lot of rappers. That's all."

My Dad looks over at me suspiciously. "No, you never got close to your clients. Not when you have employees. You still need to explain that guy who popped up at that dinner.."

"That was months ago. I already said he's an old client. Let it go."

"No, no, don't lie to me. I know a street dude when I see one. Did you forget where I'm from?"

"I haven't, but did you? You haven't been back since you went off to college. You don't even talk to your family back in Detroit to be claiming it so hard."

"And I have my reasons for that. It's like when you dated that thug Dazmon. You started acting different. You're using slang you've never used before. First you start talking like them. Then you get in situations you otherwise wouldn't have been in. With Dazmon it was getting arrested with the gun and weed. Now it's this attempted kidnapping by a gang. You show up to court with that guy then he's showing up at your dinner when you get back acting all hostile."

"Why do you assume it was that guy?" I ask referring to Draco. "I told you me and Dazmon ran into each other. Coincidentally I almost get kidnapped the same night he's at my event. There's no new guy. It's Dazmon again."

I'm trying to keep my father as far as way as possible from the Draco topic. I don't need him using his resources to look Draco up. He won't find much except maybe all the pages and articles on Draco's family in the past, but that's enough for my father to want to dig further. Growing up I could never get anything past him. It annoyed me so much.

"If you say so," he says deciding to let it go as he drives up to the entrance of a skyscraper. Valet opens both our doors and we get out of the car going into the building of this high profile judge where he has a penthouse.

After riding the elevator the doors open to his floor. I step off first immediately being submerged into soft playing opera music and chattering voices in the background. "Champagne," a man in a suit standing by the door offers. Both my father and I gladly take a glass before the doorman leads us towards a living room.

I look around the room seeing multiple people. "We're not going to be the only ones at this dinner?" I whisper to my father.

"No, the only time he had open was a celebratory dinner he's throwing tonight. Where's Tru? Is he here yet?" I slightly roll my eyes because at the last minute my father told me to invite Tru. He said it would look good to show we have such respected and successful lawyers as friends. Plus, Tru knows the judge.

I look around the room again for Tru because he texted me on the way here that he's already here. Finally I spot him right as he gets up to make his way to me and my Dad...

He greets my father first out of respect as I stand there and they have small talk. "Shit," I mumble to myself when I see none other then Apollo and Rhea staring at me from a couch across the room.

"What was that?" My father asks looking at me in confusion.

"Nothing." What the hell are they doing here? I think to myself when Tru turns away from my father towards me. He smiles at me before putting his hand on my side hugging me. I already know he's going to try to kiss my cheek, so I say, "Don't do that."

I look over his shoulder while hugging him back seeing Apollo's hardened eyes fixed on me watching my every move. "Do what?" Tru asks pulling away from me.

"Nothing. You look nice," I compliment him smiling at him. At this point this is a I scratch your back, you scratch my back type of friendship. Now, he's doing most of the scratching by helping me with my case, but that's fine. He owes me. Finding me a new lawyer and coming to this dinner is barely scratching the surface of how he can pay me back.

Tru can want to get back together all he wants, but right now that's not even a thought. I have bigger fish to fry considering I could be in prison where any relationship won't be plausible.

"Is the judge here?" I ask my father since I don't know what he looks like.

"I don't think so. I don't see him," Desmond replies doing his own scam of the room. "Probably wants to be fashionably late to his own dinner." I nod my head sipping from my glass trying to avoid eye contact with Apollo and Thea again. "Tru, come with me to get a cigar. Do you smoke?" He asks putting his hand on Tru's shoulder before guiding him away.

Desmond hates Tru for what he did to his daughter, but right now he's suppressing that hate because they need him.

I watch them walk away groaning that they left me alone. That created the perfect opportunity for Apollo to approach her and he did just that. I let out a deep sigh as he comes my way with a smirk.

"If it ain't Miss One Body, One Case. How you been? Ain't seen you in a minute? You good?" Apollo asks.

"I'm fine," I say dryly not asking back.

"I've been good too. Shit, better than you cause I didn't have to go to jail. Thanks for asking by the way," he says making himself laugh. "You still got that ankle monitor?" I squint my eyes wondering how he knows about that.

I lift up my dress sticking my ankle out. "Only thing on this ankle is Yves Saint Laurent," I say referring to my heels.

"Maybe so, but those toes screaming in that Yves Saint Laurent," He says mocking the way I said the designer.

"What do you want?" I ask letting a breath out.

"When's your first hearing?"

I knew he was going to ask about that. "A week."

Apollo nods his head. "I'll be there. We'll be there."

"Who's we? No. Your lawyer Dalton said I need to create distance between me and your family. I can't talk or be seen around you, which includes not coming to my first hearing or even talking to me now," I say looking around.

"I know what he said and I said we'll be there," he says sternly. "I need to know what's going on with your case. At least for the first court date."

"What? You don't trust me."

"Never have and never will. One little thing can have you cracking and pointing out everybody we know. Him, him, him," he says pointing as demonstration.

"I'm not talking even if it gets me a plea deal. I can promise you that." I pause, "at least when it comes to you and your brothers," I say lowly.

"No, you're not talking at all. You stick by the fact it was a kidnap for ransom that went wrong no matter what they push or show you. They're working overtime to figure out what you have to do with C.A.S., but they ain't gonna find shit. It'll be all good. Your case will be dropped or it'll be something light."

"And how are you so sure? Look, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you guys had a hard upbringing and you felt like you had no other choice in what you do for a living, but why should I be dragged down with you?"

"Just as much as we made a choice to be in this life you made a choice as well. You made a choice to be hypnotized by Draco's dick to the point you were willing to stay with him knowing what we got going on. Now you're in it 'til this shit is over with."

"You're so damn bitter," I say looking up and shaking my head. "Instead of you projecting all your trauma on me how about you go to some damn counseling so you can heal and leave me the hell alone!"

"Trauma? You got me fucked up. Ain't shit traumatized over here. I'm good. I don't have an incurable disease. You should feel lucky my brother even gave you the time of day cause ain't nobody else gonna want ya ass. Our family let you in. You had no business being with my little brother no way with your overgrown ass!"

"Is it really wise to insult the person who knows everything? The person with a trial that can be ended if I just tell them why someone wanted to kidnap me?" Apollo clenches his jaw. "Baby, keep living in denial. That trauma runs deep. You think it doesn't when you grew up with no father because he was locked up and a drug addicted mother? All this time I've been wondering why you hate me so much because I didn't do shit to you. Now it makes sense. I didn't force Draco to be with me. He's not a little boy. I didn't force myself on him, so let that hurt go."

I put my champagne glass to my lips swallowing the rest of it with a gulp. It was at that moment that this glass and the glasses I drank back at home to ease my nerves had kicked in. I didn't mean to say that. It doesn't take Apollo long to figure out what I'm talking about.

Apollo steps towards me aggressively, but I don't flinch or budge. I just smile at him. Apollo looks down at me shifting his eyes back and forth. "You're letting what you did turn you cold and heartless. Soon you'll be just like me and my brothers then you won't be able to look down on us. You'll be one in the same."

"I already am. Like you said I'm in this shit until it's over with. All this time you've been wanting me to show I'm not some bougie, rich girl, right? Here I am," I say spreading my arms before dropping them. "Anything else, Apollo?"

"Why are you here? A dinner hosted by a judge... I hope you're not pulling anything funny."

"My father knows the judge and I'm gonna try and persuade him to help me out." I keep my voice low even though everybody is too preoccupied to care about me and Apollo. "What are you doing here?" I ask tilting my head to the side. We have a stare off as he avoids answering the question.

"They said the judge will be here soon," My Dad says walking up to me. He stops beside me then looks at Apollo. "Oh, my apologies for interrupting. Who is this, Desdemona?"

I finally take my eyes off Apollo and look at my father. "This is–" I start until Apollo cuts me off.

"Apollo. We've met before," he says giving my father a look before extending his hand.

I furrow my eyebrows. Desmond shakes his hand. "I don't think we have. I would remember you," he says referring to Apollo's height and distinctive face and neck tattoos. "Maybe we have. Can you tell me how or where?"

"Does the last name De Carlo sound familiar?"

"Not at all," Desmond responds shaking his head again.

Apollo laughs running his hand over his beard. "You sure? You telling me you don't remember Ar'mon De Carlo? It's cool, it was a long time ago. That's my Pop's. I remember you from Miami."

Desmond gets quiet putting his glass to his lips drinking some of his whiskey. "Never heard that name in my life."

"Maybe I got you mixed up with someone else, but you ain't a forgettable name or face. Nahh, how could I forget yo face when it's all over billboards? Or ya name when it rings bells from  Detroit to Miami Beach to Dubai? Too bad you don't remember my Pops because he's coming in town soon and he would've loved to talk to you."

Isn't his father in jail? I think to myself. And how does he know my Dad's originally from Detroit. I mean, he could find that on the internet.

"What do you do again?" Desmond asks tilting his head to the side. He's trying to figure out why a guy like this is at a dinner being held by a judge. Obviously the judge can be swayed, but he doesn't think he's the type to go as far as having obvious criminals at his home. In Desmond's eyes all he can see when he looks at Apollo is a street guy. Either that or an athlete or rapper.

"Businessman. Ask ya daughter, we've worked together before. She's gotten me a few brand deals and business opportunities. Right, Mona?" He uses her nickname to make it clear he's familiar with her.

"Really? Interesting. Well, it's too bad I don't remember your father. If he's really sure he knows me I'm sure he can find me. I have an office here in New York City, so he can schedule an appointment to see me."

"I'll tell him that," Apollo says nodding his head. "Have a nice evening Mr. and Miss Garnet," He says looking from Desmond to me before walking away. My father squints his eyes. He's thinking this is the second time he's seen a sketchy individual having an extensive conversation with his daughter.

"I'm going to use the ladies room," I say before my Dad can ask me any questions.

"Hurry back before the judge comes," My Dad says. I nod my head before walking away.

I go into the bathroom taking a deep sigh and when I turn the corner the first person I see is Rhea...

"Shit," I breathe out startled a bit. "I just can't escape this family," I mumble under my breath.

"Why are you so nervous? It's just me," she says with a smile following behind me as I go to the sink. Both our heels click against the tile as we walk.

"I don't want any problems, Rhea," I say beginning to wash my hands. When I look into the mirror she's directly behind me. I already know Rhea isn't an enemy I want to have, so I can only imagine what the brothers are like as enemies.

"Problems? Who do you think I am? We were friends... up until two months ago. If I knew you being with Draco would cost our friendship–"

"Look, I still want a friendship with you. We've known each other almost a decade now. You've been styling me since I came on the scene."

"But?"

"I need space right now."

"Understandable."

"And do you know a boy named Geron?" I ask remembering my sister Cordelia's prom date and boyfriend's name. Rhea immediately makes a face indicating that's a yes. "What the hell? Why is he around my sister?" I ask before she can say anything.

"I told Apollo not to send him. Apollo knows your close to your younger sister and communicate with her often. He figured you would tell her stuff and sometimes Cordelia would tell Geron who would tell him."

"So he's in a relationship with my sister just to use her?"

"Apollo needed some way to get information. You haven't been communicating with us. I know Geron very well. He's like our nephew. He's a nice, young man. He used to work with us until he got discovered by a modeling agent on the train and he's been out ever since. And from what Geron told me, he does actually like Cordelia."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better? If I don't want to be around your family, why would I want my little sister dating a boy who used to work for you?"

"Look, I'll tell Apollo to make Geron back off when it comes to getting information. On one condition though. Promise to at least communicate with me..."

"Fine," I agree. I rather talk to her then have to talk to Apollo or Draco.

Rhea reaches into her clutch pulling out an envelope. "Jordy told me to give this to you."

"What's this?" I ask taking it from her.

"An invitation to her baby shower."

"Oh, wow. Her due date must be coming up."

"Almost ready to pop," Rhea says with a smile.

As much as I want to distance myself I did build friendships with these people. "Tell her I'll definitely be there." 

Rhea nods her head still smiling. You still have a gun?" She asks touching the dangling earring from my ear. She looks up at me batting her long lash extensions.

"The one used on that guy? No, the police took it."

"I know that. I know how this goes. I'm talking in general... Another one or a new one?" I shake my head. "You might wanna get one. Take care," she says staring at me for a few seconds before exiting the bathroom.

Once the dinner is over I let Tru take me home at the advisement of my father. I didn't want to, but he said he had somewhere else to go and Tru offered. The car ride is quiet as I don't have much to say to him. It's been awkward ever since he made the suggestion that we try and get back together. I don't want to send him the wrong message, so I've been keeping my distance.

I had a pretty long conversation with the judge who seemed open to hearing what I had to say. Hopefully I said enough to make him want to get my case dropped. Apollo also had a lengthy conversation with the judge from what I saw across the room. I know Draco says they pay judges and governors off, but why were Apollo and Rhea at that dinner?

"How do you know those people?" Tru asks breaking the silence.

I know he's talking about Apollo and Rhea, but I act like I don't. "Who?"

"The couple at the dinner."

"The woman used to be my stylist. You don't remember Rhea?" I ask because he met her a few times when we were together, but that was awhile ago.

"That's her. Damn, she looks different. Clearly got her bread up."

"Well, she is a stylist to some big names including me. She's not new to this like when you met her." Her husband is also the leader of a drug organization and takes well care of her.

"What about her husband? What does he do?"

"Businessman."

"Hm." I don't know what that means, but I don't want to know. It's quiet for awhile then he asks, "Have you thought about us giving our relationship another try?"

"No," I says honestly.

"Why not?"

"I told you I have enough on my plate right now. And you know me Tru... I don't like being pressured so please lay off it for awhile."

"Okay."

"I did think about one thing you said though.."

"What?"

"That HIV/AIDS meeting you told me about. I actually got in contact with the people who put them together to help me with having an HIV/AIDS awareness dinner I've been thinking about doing for months. We decided to work on it together and it's going to be this weekend. Last minute, but I think we'll pull it off. I think you should come."

"I'll definitely be there."

I nod my head as a thanks. "And Tru, thanks for coming tonight. My Dad wanted me to invite you so I did. I'm sure you could've been doing something else."

"It's no problem. I wouldn't say I agree with basically bribing the judge, but whatever keeps you out of jail. Right?"

"It wasn't bribery," I say with a chuckle. "He made a nice donation," I say with a laugh because that's rich people talk for bribery.

"I was talking to your lawyer and she has a strong case built for you. If this doesn't work, I'm sure she can work something out."

"Good. Once again thank you for suggesting her." When he stops in front of my building I turn towards Tru. "Thanks for the ride."

"Can I come up?"

I look at him with furrowed eyebrows. "It's late. I just want to go to bed."

"I understand. You live in the penthouse, right?" He asks looking out of the window at the building. Why is he asking that?

"One of them," I say to indicate there's more than one and mine isn't the only one. I'm the very top floor and have the biggest penthouse in the building, but he doesn't need to know that.

"Nice. I'm glad to see you doing so well."

"You too." There's an awkward pause. "Goodnight," I say getting out of his car and walking towards my building. I shake my head thinking this was such a weird night.

I sit in the backseat of the car with Rhea as our driver for the night maneuvers through the New York City streets. I think about tonight trying to piece everything together like a puzzle. The streets made me paranoid, but it's never failed me. Anytime I have a suspicion I'm usually right and something was off about tonight at that dinner with the judge.

"Who was that dude that was with Desdemona?" I ask Rhea whose legs lay on top of mine.

"Who? The older man? That's her father, Desmond Garnet," she says as I lock my phone after sending Ares a text asking where he's at.

"No, not him. I know who he is. Who doesn't? I'm talking about the guy who was hanging around Desdemona all night. The one who had his hand on her back and waist at some points. I told Draco that bitch ain't worth it if she already got a new man."

"Let's not be hypocritical like Draco isn't already in a relationship with Saweetie," Rhea says defending Desdemona for whatever reason. "And that was her ex, Tru Slater. They dated for years and were even engaged at one point."

"I don't trust him. The way he was sneaking and lurking around. Every time I turned my head he was looking at me, especially when I was talking to Desdemona. What does he do?"

"He's a lawyer." I look over at Rhea immediately thinking that's not good. "He's not a criminal lawyer. He's the type on Wall Street that work with money and stocks. That type of shit. He's not even her lawyer either. I saw on the news it's some woman she got after firing Graziano. I don't know why she's running around with Tru because last I checked he cheated on her."

"A business lawyer? You sure?"

"Yeah, that type of lawyer. I'm sure. At least that's the type of lawyer he was when he was with her. That was years ago. Lawyers usually don't change what they specialize in, especially if you've established yourself and make good money like him. He was like the youngest guy at his firm."

"I don't know about him. Something is off. Even if he's not on her case he could be helping. Maybe getting information. He could be working with cops, investigators, district attorneys. Who knows. There's never coincidences with anything around here."

"You know what? He's actually pretty close friends with John," she says referring to her son's father. He hasn't been mentioned or seen since him and I got into that altercation at Desdemona's fashion show months ago.

He clearly didn't care about being in Ravi's life as much as he claimed because that was enough to make him go ghost again.

"And how the fuck is that going to help us?" I ask looking at her.

She shakes her head. "You always get defensive as soon as his name is mentioned. We both know John wants me back so we can be a family with Ravi..."

"I know what you're gettin' at and I'm not fuckin' with it. Plus, that nigga disappeared again. You said he hasn't called or texted since I told him he's not seeing Ravi again after he threatened my daughter. The man didn't even argue or fight to see his son again. Why do you think he'll answer your call?"

"All I have to do is say that me and you are split up, so now he can see Ravi again. Since he's such close friends with Tru, I'm sure he knows stuff about him. Get information on him through John."

"I'll think about it. If I can't get my own intel that'll be the last resort." I lean forward towards the driver saying, "Change of plans. I still want you to go to the address I gave you, but make a stop first." I give him the address Ares sent in a text before leaning back.

"Where are we going?" Rhea asks in confusion.

"We aren't going anywhere. He's taking you home, but I'm meeting with Ares. I finally got in contact with Gunz, so we're going to pay him a visit."

"After all this time? I still think he's working with C.A.S.," she says shaking her head.

"Me too. That's why we're going to talk to him."

It only takes the driver five minutes to get there. When the driver gets to the location Ares sent I pat Rhea's thigh. She moves her legs off mine and I grab my phone. "I should be home by midnight," I say kissing her before getting out of the car.

I walk around the car seeing Ares waiting for me...

I dap and we pull into a hug as he says, "Where you been, nigga?"

"I can ask you the same thing," I say as we pull apart. He only shrugs. It's been really distant between us brothers, but it's not out of the ordinary. Sometimes we need breaks from each other to focus on our own shit then we eventually come back together and work as a unit.

When Rhea rolls the window down Ares says, "Wassup, sis?" He smiles at her then walks up to the car sticking his hand out, so she sticks her hand out of the window and they give each other a fold up.

"Hey, Ares. Haven't seen you in a minute. Busy preparing for this baby, huh?"

"You know it. Stacking this bread up. I know you know babies ain't cheap."

"Of course I know. I don't want to hold you two up. Just make sure you get my husband home on time and in one piece. Be safe. Love you both." She blows a kiss before rolling the window up as the car rolls away down the street.

"So what we doing?" Ares asks while I walk around his car getting in the passenger side and he gets in the driver's seat.

"Meeting with Franco and some of the Moretti's. It's supposed to be a talk, but this can go down any type of way. I'm sure he knows we think he's been work with C.A.S."

"Coo. Dude didn't sit right with me after the shooting at grannies. How you security, but nowhere in sight during a drive by at her house when you're literally supposed to be parked outside and watching?"

"Exactly, makes no sense."

...

When we get to the address I tell Ares to drive to the very top of the parking garage. He parks the car and we both still sit in the car as I look around. "Are they here yet?" Ares asks as I look at my phone for the time.

"I don't think so," I say a bit unsure looking around. I swear I'm seeing shadows move around the car so it causes my head to move in a swivel trying to see. "Turn the headlights back on." He does as I say, but nothing grabs my attention.

"Something isn't right," I say looking around. I pull out the gun that I had in my jacket, "Get that piece out of the glove compartment." I check to make sure it's fully loaded while Ares gets his gun.

Right as I'm taking the safety off my gun something rams into the back of Ares' car making us both her forward. It causes me to hit my head on the dashboard. I hold my forehead that's wet from blood beginning to drip out.

Even though the airbag in the steering wheel is dispelled it doesn't affect Ares at all because of his size. He opens the door and gets out of the car shooting at the car that hit us from behind.

I raise my head turning around shooting out the back window. Once it completely shatters and breaks I can see a bunch of men in black running up. I begin aiming and shooting. Ares and I get some of them down, while some run back to a black van. As the van reverses Ares runs towards shooting at it.

I turn back around making sure no one's coming from the other direction. I wipe blood out of my eye and sure enough I can see someone moving in the distance. I lower my head acting like I've been hurt. When I can see the person is close enough out of my peripheral I put my hand on the door handle to get ready.

As soon as the person runs up on the car I swing my door open knocking them back. I climb out of the car aiming my gun down at them as they lay on the ground. I don't hesitate to pull the trigger sending two to the chest and one to the head killing them instantly.

I look around breathing in and out trying to catch my breath when Ares runs back from trying to chase that van. "You good?" He asks breathing just as hard as me.

"Yeah," I say wiping my head that's still bleeding.

I walk over to the body that's right by my feet. The person wears all black clothing and is covered in blood. I kick the person's foot, but they don't move at all before I walk closer. They have a mask on, so I kneel then pull it up. I was expecting it to be Gunz, a Moretti, Casanova, or one of the few C.A.S. members left but instead it's an Asian guy.

It takes me a second then I suck my teeth. "Who is it?" Ares asks walking over to me.

"It's Kohh's younger brother, Riku. That was Yakuza. Shit!" I say rubbing my hand down my beard slamming my hands into the top of Ares' car.

That let's me know the Moretti's have been working for the Yakuza to take us out and not C.A.S. I knew none of the shit happening was a coincidence. Everything I thought is confirmed. Gunz purposely missed when shooting at Casanova in the club and he was purposely having his men leave my people vulnerable to get hurt.

Maybe they wanted to give us a false sense of security with the Moretti's 'watching' over us then they figured C.A.S. would kill us and they wouldn't have to.

"You killed Riku?" Ares asks as if he's not staring down at his body himself.

"I just said that!" I yell out of frustration.

"What the fuck is Riku doing with the Yakuza?"

"Because his ass couldn't help but go snooping to find out what really happened to his brother. He couldn't just except that we said it was a robbery gone wrong. He joined the Yakuza so they could help him find out who did it and get payback. They've been watching us. That's why those three Yakuza members were at Desdemona's fashion show. They know I killed Kohh."

"Fuck," Ares says looking at Riku again before wiping his bleeding nose from the airbag hitting it.

"Kohh wasn't involved with Draco getting jumped and robbed or his nail shop getting robbed. I planted that watch, so I could have a reason to kill him because I knew Draco wouldn't do it. Now I've killed his fucking little brother too."

"What the fuck did Kohh ever do to you?"

"He was tellin' Draco a bunch of bullshit. I couldn't let him get in his ear trying to infiltrate what we have going on. He was telling him a bunch of shit that had Draco thinking, so I walked in and shot his ass." Ares shakes his head looking at me in shame. "You know Draco has always been too trusting. Trust no mutha fuckin' body in this business. You know that."

"And now we have the fucking Yakuza after us?! After all we did to get rid of C.A.S. We get rid of one enemy to get another?" Ares asks slapping one hand into the other.

"The Yakuza ain't after us."

"Then what was that then? Sure looked like it to me."

"They were only trying to help Riku. Now that he's dead they'll leave us alone."

"Do you hear yourself? Since when any crew with any type of loyalty ever left somebody alone when someone killed their people? If he was an official member they're going to come after us again to avenge his death. This is the Yakuza we're talking about."

"Let's just go," I say to Ares shaking my head.

"My car!" Ares says looking at the back that they rear ended and the shattered back window. He smacks his lips walking around the car getting in the driver's seat as I get in the passenger. "Can this bitch even still drive?" He asks putting the key in the ignition. He turns it and the engine starts up.

It's quiet for the first few minutes of him driving until he stops at a red light. The person in the car over looks at our car crazy seeing the bullet holes. I give her a look to mind her business making her turn straight forward again.

"Ares, don't tell Draco or Glock what went down tonight."

"Why? They need to know we got fucking attacked by the Yakuza so they can be prepared as well."

"I said don't tell them," I say with more firmness. "Especially not Draco. You know he is. Always investing his emotions into shit where they shouldn't be. If he finds out both Kohh and Riku are dead, he's going to lose his fucking mind."

"I don't like all this keeping secrets shit," Ares says shaking his head.

"Look at me, Ares. Pops is about to get out of jail. It ain't gonna be like how it used to be. Draco and Glock were never supposed to be at the top of the ranks with me and you. We're real De Carlo's. It's our blood right to be at the top of the organization. Not them."

"What the fuck are you saying right now, Apollo? They're our brothers."

"Same mothers, different fathers," I make it clear. "Their father was adopted. Ajax wasn't running shit in the organization when he was alive, so why should his kids?"

"So why even bring Glock and Draco in? You made that call."

"Because they kept begging. If somebody wants to do something you let them and watch them self-destruct."

"Naw, I'm not feeling this," Ares says shaking his head. "We've been through everything together. I can't and I won't switch up on them."

"I didn't say switch up. I'm being realistic. Why should we let Draco talk us out of giving up our organization like he was supposed to be a major player anyway? He doesn't call any shots."

"Bruh, Draco is right and you know it. We have legit shit lined up. We don't have to do this for the rest of our lives. We could've been dead tonight leaving two women to raise kids by themselves. I haven't even met my son yet. I'm not doing this shit for the rest of my life when I gotta child on the way."

"Listen to me, Ares, you don't know Pops like I know him. You were still mad young when he went in. Shit, won't be the same when he gets out. You think I'm controlling and ruthless wait 'til you meet that nigga. This is selling crack in the 80's with no technology type'a ruthless. Papa Dante and Abuela only had kids for one reason and that was to take over. Imagine being born to run a drug organization. That's programming that you can't be or do anything else from the day you can walk and talk. Ar'mon breathes this street shit. Whole time he's been in he's been selling drugs underground to the other prisoners. He's never going to stop because it's all he knows."

"Like he did to you?" I nod my head. "Does that mean that's the only thing we have to know? We can change his mind. We can show him we have other ways to make money."

"It's programming you can't be undone. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. You simply pretend to be entertained by them doing the same shit for years and years. There's no changing Ar'mon."

"Why you so scared of that man? Your grown. You've been running the organization for a decade plus. It's yours. He doesn't call the shots anymore."

I immediately laugh. "You really don't know Ar'mon. Our Dad was God and since I couldn't fight God, I'd fight everybody else," I say looking out of the window. "Ar'mon was made into a monster and he did worse with me."

"What do you mean?"

"We're not monsters under people's bed. We're created like Frankenstein out of abuse and hatred. Our parents are mad scientist who creat life and are horrified by what they made. I should've been Adam, but I'm rather the fallen angel. Lucifer. We terrify normal humans. We just want happiness and to get out the hood, but people think we're evil. They tell us to seek happiness in tranquillity and avoid ambition. But there's no peace for niggas like us, instead crime has left us completely alone," I ramble staring at the skyscrapers we pass by.

"We drift and get lost in darkness never to be seen again. From early on our souls leave and we become zombies of the streets. We become cold and heartless early on," I go on flexing my fist. "Ares, trust me. There's no amount of businesses we start or success we achieve that can erase what we've already done. Generations of demons."

Anytime I talk about my father it's like I turn into that scared kid again. The kid he yells and berates because I lost count of the money or I forgot the steps to cooking up crack. The kid who would have to 'hold it down' when he would be in hide out during a street war, on the run, or locked up. The kid who wanted to hoop all day and night, but couldn't because he wanted me to learn the ropes of this drug game. He told me it was a game and as a kid it made it seem fun. Then I grew up and those games got childish, old, and boring. Now I just want my piece off the board...for good.

"He's coming back any day now and we all need to be prepared..scared even," I say falling silent.

Reason I haven't updated? Dealing with death in my family & didn't like how biased you guys became towards Desdemona. Every story of mine you switch up on the female character.

Let's not act like you'd still be head over heels for a guy after almost getting kidnapped, having to kill someone, or potentially having to serve jail time. Esp. if this could've been prevented if that said man fulfilled his promises. Let's not even act like you would be the same person who's usually nice to everyone.

Everything she does she's 'extra', but let's pls remember who tf Des is from the 1st chapter. She's always been observant & is usually right. You can like Apollo bc you think he's fine, but he's the same nigga from ch. 1. You can like Draco bc he's cute he's the same mf from ch. 1. Everything they've done isn't erased.

Comment / Vote4️⃣❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70K 2.7K 13
[WARNING- This is a stud for stud story.. If you are not interested or have anything against it please don't read the book because hate is not being...
7 1 7
More you love! More you live! People often look forward to get rid of fusty lifestyle. Everyone becomes bored when you stop telling Minutiae...
100 12 42
It's been four bloody years since this fuckin virus came about. It's been kind of quiet, with just me, Chris, Liliana, and welp. Life so far has been...
122K 3.7K 30
There's a thin line between hate and Love. That's what the saying says. But for the two individuals who grown to hate each other is just a silly joke...