Bitter Heart √

By Crystal7016

Caden Miller. Hot, cynical, and notoriously labelled the bad boy of Crestmont High. Attention-seekers flirt w... More

Bitter Heart
characters + playlist
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Forty One
Forty Two
Forty Three
Forty Four
Forty Five
Forty Six
Forty Seven
Forty Eight
Forty Nine
Fifty
Fifty One
Fifty Two
Fifty Three
Fifty Four
Fifty Five
Fifty Six
Epilogue
Other Books
Sequel & Spinoff

Forty

138K 5.1K 3.1K
By Crystal7016

Skylar's POV

When I woke up, Caden wasn't there.

Everything was right where I had left it last night. Even Chicken was still asleep. The only change around me was his absence. For a second there, it seemed like Caden wasn't even here last night.

As I looked around the empty house, trying to rub off the sleep from my face, I saw the wooden box was right where I had left it. In front of me at the coffee table.

I slumped back on the couch and rubbed my eyes this time.

Caden could've taken that box with him, I thought. Why hadn't he?

The piercing sun rays coming through the glass windows made me break out of my thoughts. At least the lights were back. Mornings already made everything seem a whole less creepy.

I had a bit of time left to kill before I needed to leave for school. So I used it to get everything together. When it came to the wooden box though, I didn't keep it back in the storeroom. I wasn't exactly planning on stepping anywhere near that door ever again, even if it was technically within this house.

Instead, I stuffed it inside my closet--somewhere deep behind my messed up pile of clothes. It wasn't the best place to keep something hidden, but I couldn't have thought of any other place at that moment, and my closet was way too messed up for anyone to come near it.

Later when I reached school, I was secretly hoping I'd see Caden there, especially since things between us seemed a little fine now (or maybe that's what I wanted to believe). But he wasn't there. He'd skipped school again.

"Hey, what's going on?" I heard Alex's voice not long after I opened my locker, stuffing my books inside.

When I glanced over at him, I tried not to think about those metal disks that I'd seen in his drawer.

"What do you mean?" I was surprised to hear myself sound so unbothered, even when I really wasn't.

He frowned at me before leaning sideways against the locker beside mine. I noticed that he hadn't even cared to tame his bedhead today; his blond hair were ruffled in almost every direction.

"Why did you ditch the ride?" He asked.

The ride. I had taken the bus to school today. Perhaps it was just the nagging at the very back of my head that had made me skip a ride from Alex. There wasn't anything wrong, I kept telling myself. But why did Alex have those metal disks then?

I just shrugged in response.

"Is everything all right?" He sounded concerned and that made me doubt my own thoughts.

Once I had closed my locker, I turned towards him and eyed his hair. "You need to take care of this." Leaning closer, I ruffled his hair a little more, but a whole lot decently. "You won't be making any moves on Hanna if you keep it this way."

He scrunched up his nose at me and leaned away from my touch. I wasn't surprised. Alex hated when I touched his hair.

"I woke up late actually," I added, answering his question. "And Mom offered to drive me here herself."

I was lying to my best friend.

His frown faded away then. "Your parents are back?" I was grateful then that I hadn't told him about Dad being at the hospital. But at the same time, I felt like a terrible person, making up lies just because of my messed up thoughts.

What if I was just overthinking this? I knew Alex. I knew he would never do any such thing to hurt me.

"Yeah. But they're going back soon so...that was the first and the last ride from my mother." I added in a short laugh which came out a bit more nervous, something Alex thankfully didn't notice.

He smiled back before shouldering his backpack. I gripped my book and we both started making our way across the hallway then.

"Hey, Sky?" He asked.

I raised my eyebrows in response.

"Is something wrong?"

"No. Why?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "I've just got a feeling."

I forced a smile on my lips. "Nothing's wrong, Alex. You know how cheerful I am in the mornings." I added, which wasn't exactly a lie. "Anyway, did you talk to Hanna?"

We were walking side by side and the hallways were almost filling up with students. Alex was quiet at first, but he spoke up eventually,

"I asked her out."

I looked at him in surprise. "Really?"

"Kinda, yeah." He looked nervous and I had to refrain from laughing out loud. Watching Alex get nervous over a girl was truly one of the rarest sights.

"That's so cool, Alex."

He smiled once again. "It won't be once I tell you all of it."

"What do you mean?" I gave him a funny look as we both exited the hallway. "I'm happy that you're finally over those temporary hookups. It's about damn time you get out of that douchebag phase."

"A double date. It's a double date."

I stopped dead in my tracks, my eyes widening. "What the fuck?"

This time his smile was more towards the sheepish side. For a moment, it felt like yesterday and me snooping through his drawer, none of it had even happened. This was the same guy who loved making my life an absolute hell.

"Are you serious?" I asked out loud in utter disbelief. Alex, on the other hand, just grinned. "I am not going on any date, Alex!"

"Come on, Sky. Hanna felt more at ease when I mentioned you were coming along."

"I could hang out with you guys without a date." I objected.

"And be the third wheel?"

I frowned in response. What was wrong with being the third wheel?

"Can you even remember the last time you went on an actual date?" He nudged my shoulder. "I'm just helping you out with your social life."

I didn't even keep myself from cringing at that horrifying thought. "Who's the guy?"

"Totally up to you."

"Are you serious? I don't like any of your guy-dudes." I whisper-hissed this time when I realized we were closer to the classroom now.

"I can ask Ben." He suggested.

I cringed again at the thought of going out with a total stranger. I didn't even know who Ben was.

"Do it for me, please?" He asked, and I truly hated him for looking so expectant at that moment.

Sighing, I pushed open the classroom door. "You're the worst, Alex."

•••••

For the next few days, I didn't see Caden at all, not even at school. I tried contacting him again, but he didn't respond at all this time.

Did he do this disappearing act often? I wondered.

When I coincidentally came across Adrian at the bus station to Philadelphia, he told me they all were still as clueless about Caden's whereabouts as they were days ago. I grew a little more worried then. And a part of me hoped Caden would call me back.

When I visited Dad at the hospital, despite Mom's refusal, I felt much better to see him with my own eyes. I got to see him and I got to talk to him. He looked so much better than the sick picture my mind had made me believe in.

Mom, on the other hand, thankfully didn't seem angry with me. I think she was kind of glad that I visited. And that, for once, didn't make me feel so unwanted.

We didn't talk about the locker or even the wooden box that I found inside it. I didn't get the time to corner her with those questions. And when I did, the doctor called her up to sign some paperwork. Then I had to leave.

"I'll be picking you up at seven," Alex announced over the phone.

"That's so early!" I whined in response. Every inch of me was screaming to not go to this specific date. I hated the thought of going on dates with total strangers. Not that I could actually remember the last date I had gone to (what Alex had mentioned--I had no social life when it came to dates).

"And Sky?" He totally ignored my whining. "Wear something nice."

"What do you mean nice?" I asked defensively. Was he criticizing my sense of fashion?

"A dress, perhaps?"

"Be serious, perhaps?"

"I am serious, Sky. It's supposed to be a dinner, not a frolic around the park." He replied.

I tried not to laugh at that. "Alex, I've got all dirty, old fashioned dresses in my closet. They won't do. Unless you're taking me to the mall, like, right now?"

"It's not really your date. No one's gonna care if you look like a dirty, old hag, Sky."

I gasped.

"See you at seven." He laughed and ended the call.

•••••

"Woah, don't you look dirty and old fashioned." Alex passed me a cheeky grin. "I almost didn't recognise you."

I rolled my eyes at his dramatics before glaring at him. It was entirely his fault that I wasn't chilling inside my home right now, in my extra-soft pyjamas, watching a really nice movie.

"I'll take that as a compliment, Alex."

He kept on grinning while I turned around and locked the front door behind me. "I was just kidding. You look lovely, Sky."

I sighed. "And I'll wait for Ben to say that too."

Alex laughed at my misery as I followed him to his car, the cool air caressing my bare legs. The dress wasn't mine though. It was one of Mom's--a royal blue off-shoulder dress, which mind you, barely reached past my knees.

"Come on. We're already late." He said the moment I slipped inside the car, closing the door.

Straightening the soft blue fabric over my knees, I gave out a tired sigh. "I'm tired, Alex." And I wasn't even lying. I didn't know how normal girls, unlike me, did this all the time.

He just muttered something inaudible under his breath which I clearly didn't wish to hear.

"Where's Hanna?" I asked him, turning my head to look over at the backseats.

"We're picking her up next."

The next few minutes went by in total silence as Alex drove past busy streets. I tried my best not to get too nervous over this date. Like I said, I couldn't even remember the last date I'd gone to, and I was never the one to go along well with the rest of Alex's friends. This was surely going to get a bit awkward since I didn't even know what Ben looked like.

I was brought out of my thoughts, however, when Alex stopped the car near one corner of a familiar street.

"Stay here. I'll be back in a minute." He told me before opening his door.

"Where are you going?"

He looked back at me. "Roses or chocolates?"

I felt my tensed posture relaxing a little. I shouldn't, I realised, just doubt him on everything. Everything was fine. "Roses. Go ahead, I'll be waiting." I replied with a small smile, leaning back in my seat as I watched him leave.

I saw his black button-up disappearing amongst the people. It was a bit hard to keep track of him.

Inhaling slowly, I told myself to calm down. Things were fine. I didn't have to overthink everything and let paranoia ruin this big night for Alex. It wasn't really necessary for me to fuck things up every single time.

I'll try to enjoy this date. I'll try to do my best for Alex.

I looked up at my reflection in the rearview mirror. I did look a little different, now that I thought about it. I guess, I barely ever wore dresses (unless it was Mom dragging me to one charity event or another). Or perhaps it was just that I almost never wore makeup or had my hair out of a ponytail.

This was one of those rare occasions.

Scrutinizing at my reflection, I realized how a fleck of mascara was messed up on one of my eyelids. Clearly, someone was a professional. Looking around for a tissue, I opened up the glove compartment, only to recoil back in surprise. Way beyond surprise.

Right in front of me was a gun. A real pistol.

I blinked. Then blinked again. It was almost like my thoughts had been brought to an abrupt halt since I couldn't really think.

Exhaling sharply, my eyes widened. Was it fake? Why did Alex have a gun in his car? I was pressed back on the seat, and actually cowering away from that thing.

Alex had a gun.

Very cautiously, I forced myself to inch closer and pick it up. My eyes kept darting out of the window just to make sure Alex wasn't coming back, or anyone at all. I didn't know what to think, not when I had a heavy metallic gun in my hand.

It was a normal pistol, just like the one I had seen with Caden. The only difference was its back. I refrained myself from tracing my fingertips over its back, over what looked like the dried-up remains of something--a substance. And when I looked closer, I noticed it was dark red, coating the back of the gun.

Blood.

I felt bile rising up my throat then. As if on cue, Alex seemed to be crossing the street and coming right back. My heart started pounding within my chest as I stuffed the gun back inside the glove compartment, closing it shut.

I gripped the edges of my seat just as he opened the door.

And it felt like I might throw up any given second now.

"There were no roses, so I bought tulips. I think--" He stopped abruptly as his gaze flew over to my face, probably registering my freaked out state. I must've gone pale. I still couldn't think straight.

"What happened?" He asked, a small crease forming in between his brows. He looked concerned for a second there, and I was scared.

I was scared and confused and so much terrified.

"Just start the car." I tried speaking loudly but my voice fell to a whisper.

"What?"

"Drive." I blinked. "We're getting late. We need to pick up Hanna."

I was panicking. My knuckles had gone white by the way I was gripping onto my seat, and I didn't notice it until Alex's gaze trailed towards it. Instead of starting the car, he faced me with a frown.

"What's going on with you?" He asked me. "Did something happen?"

"N-No."

"You look like you just saw a ghost."

I gulped and looked away from him. What would he say if I asked him about that gun? Would he lie? But why would he lie? Why was this happening?

"The...glove compartment," I whispered, my heart still hammering inside my chest. My eyes were stuck on his face, wide and searching.

He raised his brow in question.

"There's a gun in there," I added.

Don't lie. Please.

It took just a single second for the confusion on his face to morph into something that made my stomach knot horribly.

"And there's blood." I heard my voice quivering with nerves. Was I wrong about him all this time?

No, I thought. Alex would never do that to me.

"Alex?"

"Were you the one who rummaged through my drawer too?" He asked and the frown came back. However this time, I saw the cold look in his eyes.

"What?" I whispered.

"Was that the reason why you left so abruptly?"

I backed away against the door, my hand fumbling against the handle. "I-I think I don't want to go to that date anymore--"

"Of course, you don't." He cut me off as he closed all the locks, trapping me inside the car. My eyes widened at the action before I turned around, trying to open the door. It didn't budge at all.

"Alex." I hated the way my voice trembled. "Alex, why--please let me go."

He frowned at me before dragging a hand through his perfectly combed hair. "I will, once you stop panicking."

I didn't know how. I was freaking out and he wasn't helping. I was confused and my thoughts were spiraling. It felt like I didn't know who he was, and that hurt. Because he was my best friend and I was supposed to know him no matter what.

"You're the one scaring me," I said. "Please don't do this."

"Don't do what?" He asked, his voice raising an octave higher. "I'm not even doing anything!"

I flinched. "Why aren't you letting me go?"

"You make rash decisions when you're panicking, Skylar. Just stop freaking out and I'll tell you everything." He gritted out the words, his gaze still fixated on me.

"I can't." I shook my head, again and again. I was still trying to open the door somehow, even when I knew it wouldn't be possible--unless I screamed for help and banged on the car window. That wasn't really possible when he started the car despite my complaining.

"We'll talk. That's the only way for you to get out."

_______

Make sure to click the below ↓ if you liked this chapter.

Xoxo,
Crystal 🌿

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 662 38
You all know the bad boy good girl story, you don't know the one where a cliché story turns into a brutal murder mystery. Luke's parents have had eno...
190K 5.6K 26
I, Skylar was accidentally sent to a Hot Boys Camp I mean ALL BOYS CAMP . At first I hated it but then I met the boys in my Cabin. They were the sex...
85.5K 3.5K 31
Grayson Taylor. A lawyer that can't commit to anything more than a one night stand. But then there's the one night stand that changed his perspectiv...
106K 3.2K 53
Nathan Howland. Not your average everyday student. Unless having the title of 'The Demon' is average. An aggressive nerd is not one you'd meet any d...