Ditching the Demons

By chixon

Myra finds herself in the company of three men who call themselves demons. They say they need her help, so sh... More

Why Taking a Shortcut Through the Woods is a Bad Idea
Because Your Instincts are there to Protect You
Why Demon House Guests are Bad Company
Because 'Personal Space' is Just an Illusion
Why You Shouldn't Put Too Much Trust in Your Friends
Because They May Like You for All the Wrong Reasons
Why Rescues Are Not For Everyone
Because Berserkers are not Much Help
Why Good Deeds Should Be Carefully Dealt
Why Witches' Homes Should Be Approached with Caution
Because Fan-Girls Come in All Shapes and Sizes
Why You Should Never Judge a Party by Its Flier
Because Mental Instability is not Limited to Humans
Why Demons Should Never Bring Things to Life
Because They're So Much Better at Mayhem
Why You Should Always Follow the Buddy System
Because Vampires Can Actually Be Good Conversationalists
Why Most Elves Don't Like Tourists
Because Some People Just Attract Trouble
Why You Should Never Give Up Hope and Strip to Your Underwear
Because You Never Know Where You'll Find a Magic Portal
Why It is Important to Pay Attention
Because People Are Not Always Who You Think They Are
And Endings Can Be Surprising
Extra Bits

Because not everyone has the same sense of humor

438 20 0
By chixon

Because not everyone has the same sense of humor

Myra's grip on the front of Meris's shirt tightened as he hopped off the final step of the now completely stopped ghost train. Without a platform beneath them, it was quite a ways down and Myra was glad that Meris's strong arms kept her cradled snugly against him.

Sam, who had exited first, was currently in the midst of peeling off his bandages. Myra stared when she noticed that he was completely healed and his pristine skin showed no signs of scarring.

Pity, she thought. Scars add character, and Sam could certainly use some.

When he noticed her gaze, he glared back at her with a look that was so bitter and intense she thought he was trying to burn her with his retinas. And apparently that is exactly what he was trying to do because a moment later he turned to look at the pile of bandages, and set it ablaze.

Dru, who had exited from the other end of the car, now stood several paces away, waiting patiently.

He seems he is taking Sam's orders quite seriously.

Meris's warm breath tickled her skin as he spoke softly into her ear. "Do you see that mountain range, Myra? Those are the Rosetti Mountains, and just on the other side of them is where Sam's estate lays. We're probably going there next."

Myra looked up and saw a grand mountain range of snowy peaks looming in front of them. It appeared that the train had dropped the group off at the base of the rolling foothills that preceded them. "How long should it take us to get there?" she asked.

"I'm not quite sure..." he shrugged. "Sam, do you know?"

"A couple of days if the weather is fair and we find a competent guide. Otherwise it might take a few weeks."

"A few weeks!!!" Myra shrieked. "My family is probably completely bonkers with worry already! At least tell me there is a phone somewhere I can use to call home."

Sam mockingly looked around at the grassy hills. "Sorry, I don't see any." he deadpanned. "But if I notice any farmers on a cell phone while driving their tractor, you're the first person I will inform."

Myra's face grew red with anger. "I didn't mean right here! I meant—"

"Besides," he interrupted. "If Dru completed his assignment correctly, your parents should not be worried at all."

"Assignment?" Myra blinked. "What do you mean?"

⌘⌘⌘

Meanwhile, back at Myra's house, in the kitchen, on the fridge, tacked up with a magnet that looked like a bunch of bananas, was a letter. It was written in what appeared to be Myra's own handwriting (if not a bit more bubbly). It read:

Hi Mom & Dad!

 You remember those guys I came home with last night? Well, at least mom should. Dad was in bed, weren't you? Hehe... Anyway, you know the really good looking one with the long silky silver hair that you wish you could run your fingers through, and the adorable fluffy white ears that would be perfect for scratching behind while you kiss him all over? Well, we fell madly in love and are running away to some tropical island in the tropics. So don't worry about me, I'm just off enjoying myself with the love of my life.

 Love,

           Myra

P.S. I took all of the ice cream with me.

⌘⌘⌘

Myra slapped her forehead with her palm. "Please tell me you didn't actually write that!"

"What?" Dru tilted his head in confusion. "Should I not have told them about the ice cream? You won't get in trouble for that, will you?"

The corner of Sam's mouth tilted up slightly. "Dru," he said. "I am reducing your punishment to only four hours."

"Really?" Dru hopped over to Sam's side. "Why is that? And how can get you to do it again?"

"It is because you amuse me, my friend" he said while patting Dru's head. "But don't get your hopes up, because I will not be reducing it any more."

Secretly, Myra suspected that Sam's amusement was simply because of her discomfort. But she was unable to address the matter further, since Sam abruptly started walking down a path that was conveniently located directly in front of them.

Throughout the morning they walked over hill and dale. Well, the boys walked. Myra was still being carried by Meris. When she saw some three horned cows, Meris explained that they were demon bovine. When she saw fields of giant four leafed clovers, he told her that it was natural to the area. And when she pointed out the brown colored sheep, he said that they were just extremely dirty.

The sun was high in the sky, and Myra was feeling faint with hunger when they finally came across a tiny village.

"Hey, look at that," Dru pointed to the town as if no one else had seen it. "We found Waterhouse Village! It sure looks bigger than the last time I saw it."

Bigger? Myra thought. I can't imagine it any smaller!

"I wonder if the Morris Inn is still around?" he went on. "They used to have the best food."

Yes! FOOOOD!! Myra mentally screamed.

Meris started snickering. "Myra, are you hungry?"

"Uh... did I just say that out loud?" she asked.

"Very." said Sam while rubbing his ear.

About an hour later the group was sitting around a table at the Morris Inn; wiping their mouths and rubbing their full stomachs.

Myra smiled contently as she leaned back in her char. "Wow... that was hands-down the best barbeque I have ever eaten! And the meat was so succulent and tender. What kind of meat was it anyway?"

"Uh..." Dru and Meris looked at each other. It was obvious by their facial expressions that they were carrying on some sort of silent conversation. But Myra couldn't figure out what they were trying to communicate. Meris suddenly broke eye contact and began to stare intently at his empty plate.

After Dru threw a slight scowl at his red-eyed companion, he turned back to Myra. "I, uh, really don't think you want to know."

"It wasn't human was it?" Myra, the-ever-blunt-one asked.

"No. Humans own this place. They wouldn't serve their own kind." Then he added quietly, "I don't think."

"Then what was it? I can handle it if it's something strange. Just tell me."

"Well, er, um..." he looked around frantically. "Hey, what's that thing over there?" Then he got up and ran away.

Two seconds later he returned and shoved a blue piece of paper in Myra's face. "Look Myra! There's going to be a big party tonight, and the whole town is invited!" He squeezed between Myra and Meris's seats (apparently his punishment was over because Sam didn't object). "Do you want to go with me?"

"A Japanese style festival..." said Myra as she read the flier "There's going to be booths and games, with fireworks at night. They even want everyone to wear Japanese kimono. Sounds interesting. Sure, I'll go."

"Yay!" he pulled her up and hugged her. "Let's go now and see if there are any games set up yet! Where is it?"

Does this guy ever run out of energy?

"Um..." She scanned the flier "Looks like it's at the home of someone called 'Silversin' and there's a map too."

"WHAT?" Meris and Dru yelled as they snatched the blue flier and held it between themselves.

"Silversin lives in this town, now!" shrieked an angry Meris. "Let's torch the house of that double crossing witch!"

Dru gave a determined nod and together they started to storm off with flames already blazing in their eyes.

I wonder what this person could have done to anger them so much? Myra asked herself.

Before the murderous duo could get five steps away however, Sam suddenly appeared behind them and grabbed the back of their shirt collars. "We should probably talk to her first and hear her explanation," he said calmly.

Good for you, Sam, Myra thought. I'm glad someone's being rational.

"...Then we'll kill her."

Never mind.

With that he let go of their shirts and allowed them to continue their previous stomping in the direction of hill just outside of town where Silversin's house was located. Meris and Dru lead with Sam and Myra immediately behind. Myra was actually quite surprised that Sam let the others walk in front of him since he always seemed so high and mighty. But it was obvious that he had some soft spots in his block-of-ice heart for his companions.

Along the way Myra eventually mustered up enough courage to ask the boys what their problem was with this 'Silversin.'

There was a slight pause, and then Sam spoke. "She's the one who sealed us in the boulder."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

909K 20.8K 48
Luciana Roman was blamed for her mother's death at the age of four by her family. She was called a murderer until she was shipped onto a plane for Ne...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
3.8M 158K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...