Ditching the Demons

By chixon

Myra finds herself in the company of three men who call themselves demons. They say they need her help, so sh... More

Why Taking a Shortcut Through the Woods is a Bad Idea
Because Your Instincts are there to Protect You
Why Demon House Guests are Bad Company
Because 'Personal Space' is Just an Illusion
Why You Shouldn't Put Too Much Trust in Your Friends
Because They May Like You for All the Wrong Reasons
Why Rescues Are Not For Everyone
Why Good Deeds Should Be Carefully Dealt
Because not everyone has the same sense of humor
Why Witches' Homes Should Be Approached with Caution
Because Fan-Girls Come in All Shapes and Sizes
Why You Should Never Judge a Party by Its Flier
Because Mental Instability is not Limited to Humans
Why Demons Should Never Bring Things to Life
Because They're So Much Better at Mayhem
Why You Should Always Follow the Buddy System
Because Vampires Can Actually Be Good Conversationalists
Why Most Elves Don't Like Tourists
Because Some People Just Attract Trouble
Why You Should Never Give Up Hope and Strip to Your Underwear
Because You Never Know Where You'll Find a Magic Portal
Why It is Important to Pay Attention
Because People Are Not Always Who You Think They Are
And Endings Can Be Surprising
Extra Bits

Because Berserkers are not Much Help

475 24 0
By chixon

Because Berserkers are not Much Help

After Dru left, Meris lead Myra over to some benches on the platform. She sat down beside him and let out a sigh. The only source of light in the area was an old oil lamp hanging on a post over by the boarding area. Its luminescence only reached around 10 feet and in its glow moths and insects danced about. Everything else was mostly black with darkness. Even Meris and herself were surrounded in thick shadows.

"This place doesn't even look like it is open." She turned a skeptical eye to the dark haired vampire-demon beside her. "Are you sure any trains will even come through here?"

He lifted his head, which had been resting in his palm, and turned toward her with a mischievous grin. "The kind of train we're taking will." She could see the faint light glimmer off of his exposed canines.

"And from the grin on your face, I'm guessing you're not going to tell me what 'kind' of train that is?"

"Correct." This time it was his eye in which she spotted a glimmer.

What is with these guys? Dru glows, Meris glimmers. What does Sam do? Light up like a Christmas tree?

"Ok then," she said. "When is this magical mystery train due to arrive?"

"Soon."

Myra rolled her eyes. Deciding to be Mr. Illusive this evening isn't he. With the way he's acting, one would think he has a surprise present somewhere for me. But what would Meris get for me? He doesn't know me very well, or what I like except for... oh! Maybe it's ice cream!

A short time later, Myra was jostled away from her ice cream day-dream by a low rumbling coming from the distance. Then out of the darkness came a sleek 1920's, deco style, streamlined passenger train.

When it came to a stop, Myra nearly squealed in anticipation and bounded over to the nearest car. Meris casually followed her with a knowing smile on his face.

"When can we get on?" She asked him hurriedly.

"A-as soon-n as the doors open." He replied between chuckles.

And as soon as the doors started to open, Myra squeezed her way onto the empty train. By the time Meris caught up with her, she was spinning in the middle aisle between the seats, looking as happy as a child in a candy store.

"So, I take it you like the magical mystery train?"

"Like it? It's absolutely AMAZING! How did you know I love old trains?"

"I kind of saw a picture of one when we were in your room," he said while staring at his feet. "I didn't know what it was at the time, but when Sam assigned me to arrange transportation for tonight; I came across it again in my research."

"I see, so this is some sort of Demon Train?" She asked as the train slowly started to move down the tracks.

"No, it's nothing that fancy, just a normal ghost train. They aren't reservable, but they keep strict schedules and are absolutely free to ride."

Myra's eyes, got even larger. "So that means that this train is probably completely authentic? What are we standing here for, then? Let's explore!" She sang while grabbing his hand and dragging him off.

⌘⌘⌘

Myra was having A LOT of fun exploring the train. Everything was set up to accommodate for passengers and crew, but no one was there.

Her little expedition came to an abrupt end however, when she discovered a soda fountain bar in the corner of the dining car.

Watching as Meris sat down next to her at the bar with his vanilla flavored soda, Myra took a sip from her fizzy lime flavored beverage.

While enjoying their drinks, Myra couldn't help but notice the many shy glances Meris was throwing in her direction.

I don't know which is odder, Myra thought. The fact that the first (and probably only) vampire I ever came across is one of the most polite and reserved people I know; or the fact that I am sipping sodas with said vampire on an abandoned ghost train heading who-knows-where. (sigh) Such is my life, it seems.

Myra found Meris's entire existence completely contradicting. He refuses to be assertive and try to steal me away from Dru's attentions, even when it is painfully obvious that he is interested in me, yet he seems to have no qualms whatsoever in sucking the life out of random humans. It is possible, I suppose, that he just doesn't have any respect for human life. But for some reason, that doesn't seem to make sense either.

At this moment, Myra realized that she knew basically nothing about any of the three demons who had fallen into her life a few days earlier. "So," she said turning toward him. "Tell me about yourse..."

She stopped when she saw the obvious flinch on Meris's face. Could it be that he was uncomfortable discussing his personal life? Without missing a beat, Myra changed the subject, "Dru. Tell me about Dru." The relief that was shown throughout Meris's entire body nearly made Myra grin.

"Well, Dru," Meris said, brightening up. "He's quite the interesting fellow." He then went on to explain how, since he was ridiculed and shunned as a child because of his heritage, Dru developed (what Sam called) "The extreme need for social approval."

"I guess that would explain a few things." Myra stated as she thought back to Dru's rather odd behavior.

"He's actually mellowed out quite a bit since we first met him. At the time, he was very intent on seeking the praise of potential friends, especially with Sam, because of his high status. Back then, Dru would have chewed his own arm off if Sam said it would please him.

"Wow," Myra gasped, "that's some pretty self-destructive behavior."

"Yeah, if Sam wasn't there to help him, who knows how terrible Dru's life would have turned out."

Alright, enough stalling. I don't care if it makes him uncomfortable. I have to know.

"Kind of like you?"

A pause, Meris's face fell, and his eyes glistened with unshed tears. "No, not like me. I know exactly how I would have ended up. A violent creature whose only waking thoughts would be of destruction and blood. I truly wonder though, if this existence is much better." He inhaled a shaky breath and looked at her straight in the eye. "Do you know Myra, what the real difference is between normal and demonic vampires?" She shook her head to the negative. "Normal vampires take human blood to extend their own life. It is a selfish act, but one that is necessary if they wish to live.

"Demons already have a much longer lifespan, and so extending it is not really needed. For demonic vampires it is not so much the need for blood that drives them, as it is the desire to feel the life of their victim draining from its body. They kill only for the love of death, and suck only for the lust of blood. That heinous beast resides within me, constantly telling me to give into its dark desires and live my life without thought or regret."

Myra was shocked at this revelation. Who would have known he's suffering so much? "Is there no way to rid yourself of this 'beast' as you call it?"

"This curse is with me until death. And believe me, I have entertained the thought of ending my existence more than a few times."

"What persuades you not to do it?"

Meris gave a slightly audible chuckle. "There is no persuading about it. Sam blatantly refuses to let me consider it as an option. Apparently he is highly offended when someone disregards a life he has saved."

"Both you and Dru," she started, "you really admire Sam, don't you?"

"Love him like a brother... no, it goes deeper than that. Both of us would do anything for him, and we know he would do the same."

"Then why did Dru not let you help him and Sam battle those Zipzu things?"

"Well, you see..." he said while scratching the back of his head. "Chances are, there would have probably been a lot of damage done already. And I tend to, erm, lose myself in those type of situations. That is, I lose control of my inner-vampire and he goes on a nasty little killing spree; not being able to differentiate between friend and foe. That's why I need Sam and Dru with me when I 'go out'. They help me stay under control so I can satisfy the beast without getting too excited... I really don't deserve friends like them."

Without warning, Myra leaped from her seat and wrapped her arms around Meris. "Believe me," she said while her cheek rested against his shoulder. "You more than deserve all the friends you can get."

It was a heartfelt hug, full of genuine concern, warmth, and compassion. When they started to pull away from each other, Meris lifted her chin and stared into her eyes. "Thank you, Myra" he whispered as his lips brushed against hers.

(FWOOP)

The car door of the train slid open and an exhausted looking Dru entered carrying a rather bloody, unconscious Sam on his back.

Observing the scene before him, the side of Dru's mouth curved into a smirk. "Meris, were you just making-out with my darling Myra?" he asked while wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"N-no! you've got it all wrong!" Meris waved his hands in front of himself in a placating manner. "We were just talking, you see, and then... Is Sam.all...right...?"

Nice save fang-boy. Myra thought with a mental snort Way to avert the attention away from yourself.

But Myra was soon unsure if this was his true intent when she noticed his quickly changing behavior. Meris appeared to be twitching and swaying at the same time. His eyes began to glow and his gaze was locked solely on Sam's body as Dru gently set him down on a bench seat by the windows. Myra cringed when she noticed the many bloody cuts and festering wounds that covered Sam's body.

"Myra?"

She looked up and noticed that Dru was now standing behind Meris and had a hand on Meris's shoulder. "Will you watch over Sam while I take Meris out for a while?"

"Watch over him?" she asked as she looked back at the wounded strawberry-blonde. "The guy needs medical attention if you ask me. He's covered in blood and burns. Just look at him!" Myra pointed her finger at Sam to emphasize her exasperation as she yelled the last sentence while turning to face the other two demons.

But they had already gone. The only evidence of their retreat was the door as it slid the final inch and a half before it closed with a click.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
530K 47.9K 34
๐™๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™– ๐™ ๐™–๐™ง ๐™™๐™–๐™ก๐™– , ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ง ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ƒ๐™ค ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž...... โ™ก ๐™๐™€๐™๐™„ ๐˜ฟ๐™€๐™€๐™’๐˜ผ๐™‰๐™„ โ™ก Shashwat Rajva...
226M 6.9M 92
Officially now a series! Watch it for free on MediaCorp's Youtube Channel- MediaCorp Drama. ...
623K 7.6K 31
The bad boy's life changes when he suddenly becomes the teacher's baby...