The Gifted Hybrid

By gifted_nerd

BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a... More

Just A Hunch
A Long Bus Route
Camp Spirit
Protection
Powerless
I'm Sorry
First Gift
Your Special
Fast Learner
No Way In
First Attempt
Second Gift
Flashback
Full Moon
Just Try
Its You
Thank You
Book 66
A Sign
Darkness
Our Secret
The Dream
Believe Me
Questions
See The Truth
You'll See
Relation
An Idea
Good Poison
Practice Makes Perfect
A Favor
Instinct vs Reflex
Just Talk
Triggered
Settled In
A Leader
Metal Eyes
Feelings
Visions Told Truth
Nervous Is Good
Powerful
Marked
Real Deal
A Choice
Author's Note
Next Book Reveal
ITS TIME!!!
Checking in...
THANK YOU!

Bad Manners

1.2K 53 2
By gifted_nerd

Monday

I am heading to practice with Mia right now. For the first time in a long time, she actually doesn't leave the room before I wake. I decided on some jeans, a purple tshirt and some tight sneakers since we were really starting practice. It's been while.

And now I feel as though I should carry my weapon around with me no matter where I go. I run my hand over it in my back pocket, I can feel its energy, it causes me to smile.

"I think Margaret said something about weapons today" Mia held the door open for me as we walked outside. Everyone was crowded once again in the same place out in the field only this time, Jake and John wasn't there. They had to go and get something before we started.

I looked around as we waited. Everyone was talking but somehow, I could tell someone was missing. My eyes scan the yard before I realize its Madison. I wonder where she could be. Ava on the other hand was out with everyone else, she stood to the side with Chelsea. I looked at Chels and she gave me a really small smile that she probably didn't want me to see but I saw it anyway. Then she turned away.

"Um Margaret, what is going on today?" Grace speaks up.

I hadn't even realized Margaret was standing to the side until now. I haven't really talked to her much unless it was about something I really needed, since that day. The day she didn't believe me. It had been two days since than. But it seemed like more than that.

"We are going to be using those weapons you guys keep talking about" she announces to everyone. I was glad to have brought my dagger with me. I wasn't sure she was going to let me use it though.

"That's not us" Chelsea points to all the girls and the guys stand to the other side, "they are the ones who are excited about using them" she points to the guys.

"Yes, and I'm sure you'll see that in the end it'll all be fine. You'll get the hang of it Chelsea" Margaret told her.

"Yeah Chelsea" James speaks up, "I mean I'll be happy to help you with the weapon if you can't handle it" he puts his arm around her shoulders and bites his bottom lip.

"Get off of me please" she tries pushing him away but it only makes him want her more. She does it for a while until she can't help but laugh at him for trying so hard. I shake my head.

"You think she'll give in?" Mia asks me in a low voice.

"Who knows, maybe. I'll give it a few days" I chuckle.

"I'll give it a few hours" she laughs and we continue to talk for what felt like forever. Margaret had even called John to see if he was on his way back. Its 10:50am.

"Okay, you guys can just relax for now. He should be on his way" Margaret tells everyone and I nod.

She begins to head for the building just as Madison runs through the door.

"Zoe!" She yells, running toward me. She almost fell before crashing into my arms. I look at her face and she's pale. Like she's seen a ghost.

She stands and let's go of me, "Zoe, I saw your Mom"

I swallow, "what?" I stare at her really hard. I believe her, I would never think Madison would lie to me. She said she had seen her before and maybe she's right. I'm always seeing her too. Funny how I could give off the energy to believe someone but no one would suck up the energy to believe anything about me.

"Your Mom! She-"

She doesn't finish. Theres a high pitched ringing in my ears as I bring my hands up to them. It's not strong but it's there and I can feel it only just a little.

"Madison!" I look down at the ground and she's laying there with her ears covered. She can't even move, its affecting her so much. I move her hands from her ears and I see blood coming from them. Somethings happening and I don't know what it is.

I turn around and everyone else is doing the same thing. They are all cuddled up into themselves with their eyes crossed. Then the pitch increases and the screams of everyone clouds my thoughts. I dont know what to do as I look around at everyone.

"What the hell is going on?" I say to myself. Something tells me to look toward the building and I do just that. Than I run, I'm running in a full on sprint toward it, opening the doors and looking for Margaret or John or anyone. I have to find out what the noise is.

I round the corner to head for the front door and I see someone on the floor. Its Margaret, she has he ears covered and I can see the red liquid coming from her ears that drips slowly down her face. She's trying her best not to scream as I lean down to her. I stand and make my way toward the front door now.

I have to stop this. I'm the only one who can.

I step outside and John and Jake are also on the ground. John is trying to crawl toward something. Or someone. In front of the truck is two people and they look perfectly fine. Only, they aren't. This is none of our work. It's the Dhampyrs. Theres two to be exact and they are the ones with the device that's holding everyone back. I know they are, I can feel it as my blood boils under my skin.

I jump off the steps as fast as I could and run toward them. One of them spots me and pushes the other out of the way. I jump on them and they fall to the ground before they throw me off of them. I roll a couple feet and land on my stomach, coughing.

"Well if it isn't little miss hybrid?" One of them says. I stand to my feet and wait for them to do something but they just stand there looking at me. They were all black but this time, the faces aren't covered. I can see them clearly. The eyes, the are red and they hold so much hate.

"Turn the damn ringing off" I say through gritted teeth.

"Oh this?" One of them points to the device in their hand, "oh I'm sorry, where are my manners?" He says and the other one grins.

He doesn't turn it off though. He turns it up even more and I began to hear the cries of my friends even more. The screams overpowering the ringing in my ears.

"I'm warning you, if you don't turn it off I'll-"

"This doesn't affect you does it? But it does your little friends. That's too bad, I was hoping to kill all of you today but you'll do" he takes a step closer to me.

"Turn it off before I rip your tongue out of your mouth" I tell them.

I'm mad now. All the anger is building inside of me. I can feel the heat in my palms, and I want to kill. I want to kill them and that's exactly what I'm going to do. I reach for the dagger in my pocket but it's not there.

"That's not very good manners young lady" the one holding the device says. He leans toward his friend and tells him something in his ear. The other one smiles and starts walking toward me in slow motion.

I stand my ground. I'm not scared, they can't hurt me. No one can.

She has midnight in her blood and you know how powerful that is.

Mom's words come to my head. I do have Midnight Blood and I do know how powerful it is.

So use it Zoe.

I close my eyes and it's like everything stops. No noise, no ringing, no screams. Only quietness. The darkness is coming and its stronger this time as it courses through my veins and all over my body. Then I hear it and I can feel it. The sound of the grass and the vibrations on the ground. It's coming from him. My eyes snap open and the time unfreezes.

He takes a swing at me but I move from the left and over to the right each swing he attempts. Each time he misses, the more angrier he gets. He brings his leg up and I grab it looking into his eyes.

"What the-" his eyes widen and I smirk before throwing his entire body across the yard with my left hand. The other ones coming, I can hear him and see him even though my body is facing the other way.

Just as I turn to him he attempts a hit to the face but it goes right through me and he falls to the ground a few feet away. He stands to his feet just as quick and looks for me. I make myself visible again and start walking to the side.

Make him mad Zoe
Aim for the weak spots

The words come to me from the first time we ever practiced.

"You should fight me like a man and stop using your powers" he laughs from a few feet away still. He grabs a dagger from his pocket and the other guy comes running back up to stand next to him.

"You guys really want to do this?" I say to them.

The one I threw begins to run up to me and I grab him by the neck and put his entire body to the ground with force. He struggles to move and I get to my knees, grabbing face with both my hands and severed his head. He falls to the ground in front of me and I stand to my feet.

I look up at the other one, "my turn" he grins. He begins to walk up to me and he starts to disappear and reappear in a different spot than before. He's one of those powerful ones.

Something flashes in my peripheral and I look toward it. My dagger. I run to it and try grabbing it but he catches up to me and grabs my arm. He puts a hand around my neck and squeezes. I struggle to breathe and hit him, he only puts more pressure on my throat. I try grabbing his face but I can't.

He brings my face to his and his face is inches away from mine, "what are you?" He says, his eyes scanning my features.

"None of your damn business"

"That's too bad" he chuckles lightly, "I wanted to have some fun with you"

I bring my leg up into his crotch and he cries out loud before dropping me. I fall with a thud and go for my dagger but he grabs my hair, pulling me back. I hit the floor on my back and he climbs on top of me to wrap his hands around my throat.

"You bitch!" He tightens his hold. My hands reach out and I can feel the dagger but I can't grab it.

"Stupid just like your Mom, she was a selfish whore" he says through his teeth. I grab at the dagger again and bring it up to his chest. It goes through his skin but he doesn't let go of my neck. My vision is going blurry but that doesn't stop me from bringing the power back.

You know how powerful that is

My eyes shoot open and I grab his hands from around my neck pushing his body back onto the ground. The dagger is still in his chest and I grab at it, pull it out and push it back in even more. He turns pale and looks into my eyes.

"You will pay for this"

I pull the dagger out and slice his throat with it. His eyes widen and he struggles to breath.

"That's bad manners" I tell him before standing to my feet. The red liquid flows down his neck onto the grass before his body swells up and bursts into thin air right in front of me. All that's left is the darkness that made it's way into his body from the dagger, it floats into the air and disappears.

I hold out the dagger and examine it. There are no stains, no redness, no blood. Only black. I look at my hands and arms, they aren't black at all. They are my normal skin color. The ringing starts to come back to my ears and I forgot about the device. I made my way over to John's van and I see it as I approach. It's on the ground so I pick it up and switch off the dial. The red light turns to black to signal off.

All the ringing goes away but I can still hear it just a little in my ears. Its going to be like that for a while. I can feel it.

"Zoe.." someone calls my name and I'm sure its Jake. I put the device in my other pocket and head over to help them. John already standing with a pained expression while Jake is on all fours.

"That was crazy" I go to him and help him stand. He grabs my hand and wraps his other arm around my shoulders. After he stands, he let's go but stays close to me looking into my eyes. I smile.

"Am I going to be doing this alot?" I say.

"Doing what?" He asks.

"You know, helping you on a daily basis?" I bite my lip to keep from smiling.

He chuckles, "don't use the same words I did"

I chuckle and shrug.

"Can you guys flirt sometime later on? I want to know what the hell that was? And how come you weren't so much as affected by it Zoe?" John swallows and sticks his finger in his ear.

"I would like to know too" Margaret makes her way down the steps when I look up at her.

Xander follows behind with everyone else but Chelsea, Ava and Christian stay back by the door. Xander eyes go to Jake and how close he is but he just looks away. I step out of his embrace and walk toward the crowd.

"I have no idea what that was or how they could even have such a device but I have it" I pull it out of my pocket and hold it out in front of me.

"Let's burn it" Emily says and Mia laughs.

"No, we need to figure out what it is first just- don't turn it on. I have a major headache now" Margaret tells me. She looks mad, just like she does any other time when she can't figure something out.

"But that doesn't explain why if doesn't affect you Zoe" Will says and everyone looks at me, "that was some serious shit, I couldn't even move. No one could. How the hell could you?"

"I don't know" I say folding my arms. I look up at Mia and she forces a smile before my eyes fall on Marg. She wants to say something, maybe something about what I told her that day. About my new powers but she still doesn't believe me.

A/N: Please vote by clicking the star at the bottom of the page! :)) ♡♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.6K 3.9K 38
Not knowing who she was...what she was, caused; lets say, problems for Kaliska. Kaliska life changed dramatically when she discovered she was more t...
145K 4K 32
▌ ·˚ ༘ ミ 𝒐𝑖𝑣. ┊ ❪ 𝓜𝙴𝚁𝙲𝚈! ❫   ↳ 慈悲 ❛ 𝖿𝗂𝗅𝗅 𝗆𝖾 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝖻𝗅𝖾𝖾𝖽 𝗆𝖾 𝖽𝗋�...
26.8K 864 41
Welcome to the universe of The Underworlds! Meet Amelia Ray, a troubled 16 year old trying to make it through life on her own. She has been bouncing...
217 18 11
"You will beg for mercy pup! And when you do I'll ensure it is not granted!" His gold eyes flashed at me. "Mercy is for the weak." My canines extend...