The Cowboy and the Angel | βœ“

η”± moonkissedgirl

To him, she was the perfect definition of an angel. What would an angel like her want with a cowboy like him... ζ›΄ε€š

Author's Note
Character Introduction
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

1.5K 78 29
η”± moonkissedgirl

Jason couldn't seem to focus as he led a small buckskin. He may have been riding Raven back to the fixed pasture in body, but he was far from that in mind. His thoughts kept turning over the words of the note the ranch hands found pegged beside an obviously sawed in half board of the pasture's fence.

Better watch your back, Archer. This is just the beginning.

Jason was sure he knew exactly who it came from and what it meant, but that didn't matter. He was not selling, let come what may.

"Got another?" Leroy asked, opening the gate to let the new arrival in.

Leroy's voice snapped Jason from his thoughts. His eyes refocused and he realized Leroy was talking to him. "Uh, yeah. Yeah, I got another."

Leroy put his hand on the young buckskin's back, leading him back into the pasture. "That's five so far. We got three left out there somewhere."

Jason smiled with relief. "Thank the Lord!"

"You can say that again," Leroy agreed with a grin. His gaze was drawn away from Jason by the dust rising on the small trail leading to the house. "Looks like we got company."

Jason turned in his saddle, catching a glimpse of a golden horse amidst the dust. He only knew one person with a horse like that. He smiled so big Leroy was scared his face would crack.

"You may wanna watch that smile of yours," Leroy warned. "It may split your face in half."

Jason laughed, shaking his head. "Might improve my looks some."

Leroy jerked his head in the direction of the approaching rider. "She may not think so."

Jason shrugged, his smile seeming to get wider. He took of his Stetson and ran his fingers through his damp hair. "I wish Sundancer would run faster, I wanna see her."

Leroy chuckled, leaning back against the gate to the pasture. "Hold your horses, amigo. She'll be here anytime now."

Moments later, Dixie slowed Sundancer to a stop in front of them, the smile on her face rivalling Jason's. "Hey, y'all!"

"See, told ya," Leroy said quietly with triumph in his tone. He gave Dixie a smile. "Why, hello there!"

Jason rode up beside Dixie, their horses brushing sides as he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "What brings you here, Angel?"

Dixie's eyebrows twitched as she tried to hold back laughter. She couldn't keep a tiny giggle from escaping. "Can a girl not go see her man unannounced?"

"Of course!" Jason smirked. His mind was reeling at her presence. He thought she looked breathtaking, with strands of her windblown hair sprouting out of her bun and curling around her face. He stared into those gorgeous green eyes that he adored so much. "Have I told you how beautiful you are lately?"

Dixie's smile turned shy. A pink blush spread across her face, and she looked down while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Don't forget our current predicament, Jason," Leroy reminded softly, not wanting to spoil the moment.

Jason blew out a sigh, closing his eyes for a second. "Ugh, don't remind me."

"What's wrong?" Dixie asked, reaching over to touch Jason's knee.

Jason rubbed his face. "Long story short, our newest horses are loose."

Dixie's mouth opened in shock. "Oh, no! What can I do to help?"

"I'm not lettin' you help. It's too dangerous."

Leroy shot Jason a look. "Listen up, Jason, Dixie knows how this works. She helps around the Broken H a lot. And we could use all the help we can get."

Dixie lifted her chin, determination written on her face. "Leroy's right. Cowboy, I'll be fine. You just gotta trust me."

Jason knew that look on Dixie's face meant there was no changing her mind. But he had to try, he wouldn't be able to live with himself if she got hurt. "It's not that I don't trust you, I just don't want you to get hurt."

"If I do, it'll be okay." Dixie gave a confident smile. "Do you remember when you broke Stoney? I had to let you go even though I knew you would get hurt. I have a better chance of not gettin' injured than you did."

Leroy wore a sly grin on his face. He knew Dixie had achieved her goal. "Jason, she's got a point there."

Jason sighed in defeat. He aimed a grin at Dixie. "You drive a hard bargain, Angel. Alright, you can help. Just stay close to me, okay?"

Dixie smiled, her face reflecting the victory she felt. "But of course. Let's go!"

Jason urged Raven to a canter, heading around the pasture to where the boys were searching. He turned to look back at Dixie only to find her passing him up with a smile so sweet he nearly melted. Reining in his thoughts, he saw Hyde bringing back another horse. He gave his foreman a thumbs up as he passed.

Up ahead James, John, and the twins were trying to catch another horse, and Jason laughed watching them. His attention was snagged by Dixie's hand as she lifted it in a signal. He spotted the roan a second later.

Dixie slowed Sundancer, allowing Jason and Raven to catch up. When Jason pulled up beside her, she grinned. "Think we can get it?"

"Yeehaw!" Jason took off his Stetson and waved it into the air, pulling Raven up in a rear before barreling ahead to capture the horse.

Dixie cut Sundancer to the side, hoping to pin the roan between her and Jason. Her idea failed when she accidentally reached the roan first, and it took off galloping.

From out of nowhere, Jason zoomed past Dixie and tried to intercept the roan. Just when he thought he'd catch up to the runaway, Raven slowed and they lost ground.

Dixie took Raven's back-down as her cue. She asked Sundancer for more speed and easily passed Raven, galloping ahead to catch up with the roan. When she came alongside the horse, she realized she had no rope to capture it. She set her jaw.

There was only one other way to nab the escapee.

Jason's lips straightened into a grim line as he recognized what Dixie was about to do. As much as he wanted to stop her, Raven could go no faster and was quickly tiring. Lord, keep Dixie safe. Protect her.

Time seemed to slow as Dixie let go of Sundancer's reins and grabbed the saddle horn. Quickly and carefully, she slipped her other leg around to the other side. Breathing a prayer, she jumped, grabbing ahold of the roan's mane. She pulled herself up and straddled the horse with a cry of relief. "I made it!"

Jason was so grateful he threw his Stetson on the ground. He was so proud of Dixie he had no idea how to express it. When she rode up to him on the roan with Sundancer following, he laughed so hard he nearly fell from his saddle. "Oh my goodness, baby! That was amazin'!"

Dixie beamed at him, stroking the roan's neck as Jason retrieved his hat. "Just doin' my job."

"Your job?" Jason chuckled. "It's my job. But just to see you do that. . . . You trusted Sundancer completely."

Dixie giggled as Sundancer snorted and tossed his mane behind them. Her eyes were vivid with excitement. "I can't believe I did it!"

"But you did!" Jason insisted, his face glowing with happiness. "I'm so proud of you. Now let's go put that lil' rascal up!"

Just as Jason and Dixie rode up to the pasture, Terry and the twins were putting up one of the last two horses.

"That was incredible out there, Dixie!" Leroy hailed, his face a picture of pure awe.

Hyde smiled from up on his steed. "It really was. All of us were sittin' here watchin' y'all, and just about forgot to put the other horse back where he belonged."

"Jason, if you don't marry Dixie I will," Terry informed with a serious face. "What a woman!"

Jason tipped his hat, flashing a handsome smirk at Dixie. "Good luck with that, partner. I aim to make that lil' lady mine."

"He should," Cohen piped up. "Because he kisses her way too much."

The ranch hands and the Archer boys burst out laughing. John, James, and Terry were holding their stomachs while Hyde and Leroy leaned over the fence with red faces. Laramie and Cohen were the only guys not teary-eyed with laughter.

"What can I say?" Jason shrugged, not embarrassed in the least. "I'm guilty as charged."

Terry slapped his hat against his thigh with a chuckle. "No one ever doubted that."

If Dixie wasn't red before, she was now. She hid her florid cheeks behind her hands. "Don't y'all have somethin' better to do?" she asked, her words suppressed by her hands.

Hyde smiled. "Yes, ma'am, we do," he said before addressing Jason, "Boss, can we get back to work?"

Jason nodded. "Sure you can. Laramie, Cohen, y'all can go with them if y'all want."

"Woohoo!" the twins cheered together, spinning their identical mounts around and cantering off.

"I'm gonna go work with them, Jase," Leroy stated. He mounted his brown mustang, waving in farewell before heading out with the rest of the boys.

Jason watched them go for a moment. He looked over at Dixie with a smirk. "Welp, looks like it's just us."

Dixie gave a small smile before her expression turned serious. "Cowboy?"

Jason's face mirrored the concern in his eyes. He wanted to take her in his arms, but there was no possible way to do that since they were both on horses. "What's the matter?"

"I need to talk to you."

Jason watched her for a few seconds. Did she wanna say she was done with him? He shook his head, shoving the thought from his mind. "Okay, darlin'. Let's go put the horses up first."

Jason hopped down from Raven and assisted Dixie in dismounting Sundancer. He grabbed Raven's reins and began walking. "We can untack them in the barn, and then let them loose in the small pasture."

Dixie smiled as she walked beside Jason. She didn't even have to lead Sundancer by his reins, he followed behind her willingly. Reaching up, she untied the leather strap that held up what was left of her bun, her wavy tresses falling loosely down her back.

A deep groan rumbled in Jason's throat, and he rubbed his face. "Don't do that."

Dixie looked over her shoulder at him, running her fingers through her hair to straighten it. "Do what?"

"That," he breathed. "It drives me crazy."

Dixie's eyebrows lowered in a frown. "I'm sorry. Let me put it up so it won't bother you."

"No it's fine. Leave it," Jason pleaded. He closed his eyes, trying to still his heart and keep his thoughts in check. Her hair was so long, so pretty, so. . . Lord, help me.

Entering the barn brought a welcome distraction to Jason. He led Raven farther to the back where the open back door cast sunlight on the floor.

Dixie stopped Sundancer beside Raven, uncinching the saddle. "Where do I need to put this?"

"I'll get it." Jason walked over to Sundancer and picked up the saddle with the ease of one who'd done it too many times to count. He carried the saddle over to an empty stall and sat it on the door.

Dixie watched Jason as he returned, accepting the brush he held out to her. She ran it lightly over Sundancer's damp body, secretly admiring Jason as he brushed Raven's shiny black coat. Was there anything she didn't love about him?

Jason could take the silence any longer. He tossed the brush aside, walking to stand by Dixie. He put his hand on hers, gliding the brush over Sundancer with her. "You needed to talk to me 'bout somethin'?"

Dixie carefully pulled a small piece of paper from her waistband. The look on her face told Jason all he needed to know.

"Lemme see that, sweetie," he urged, taking the paper from her hands. He unfolded it, his eyes widening as he read its contents. He looked at Dixie, a mixture of emotions playing on his face as he wrapped his arms around her. "I'm so sorry, Angel. This is my fault."

"How?" Dixie sobbed into his shirt.

Jason related his visit to the Crooked M, the sabotaged pasture, and his own threatening note. His eyes were full of regret as he looked down at Dixie. "I didn't realize I'd drag you into this. Have you told Charles or Tavin about it?"

Dixie shook her head. "No, they had things to do and I just couldn't interrupt their plans."

Jason grabbed Dixie's face gently. "Listen up, darlin'. They needed to know as soon as you found this, no matter what they were doin'. They would've stopped their plans for you."

Dixie blinked back tears. "I should've told Pa."

"Yes, you should've. But don't worry about that, we'll go tell him now." Jason left Dixie to retrieve the saddles. He made quick work of tacking up the horses. He helped Dixie mount up, giving her a kiss before hopping astride Raven.

When the duo rode up to the house, Jason slid off Raven. "I'll be right back. I'm just gonna let Annalyn know where I'm headin'."

Dixie acknowledged his words with a nod. As she watched him go, the realization of the notes hit her hard. The Double A was standing firm against a cattle ranch that would do whatever it took to get the land. She knew quite a few families who had suddenly disappeared just before their land became part of the Crooked M. She didn't need to have a very big imagination to guess what happened to them.

Jason jumped off the porch, the fringe on his chaps shimmying as he returned to his horse. He looked over at Dixie with a impish grin. "Wanna race?"

Dixie laughed, a winning smile on her face as Sundancer pranced in place. "So I can beat you?"

"Sure, baby." Jason gave a small eye roll. "The first one to reach town wins. Startin'. . .now!"

"Hey! You started early!" Dixie called after Jason. She shook her head with a laugh, urging Sundancer to catch up. It didn't take long for them to cruise on by. Dixie blowed a kiss as they passed.

Jason took the kiss like an arrow to his heart. He grabbed his chest, falling back in the saddle as limp as a dead man.

When Dixie looked back to see how far ahead she was, she saw Jason slumped in the saddle. Her smile turned into a look of horror. She quickly reined in Sundancer, preparing to turn around.

Before she had the chance to turn, Jason and Raven came speeding past them. He laughed, grinning like a chimpanzee as he planted his Stetson on Dixie's head in his rush to win.

Dixie was furious. What a dirty trick! she fumed to herself. She spun Sundancer around and took off after Jason, pressing the hat down with a hand to keep it from flying off her head. She didn't even look to see how far ahead Jason was. She just pressed her body as close as she could to Sundancer's, whispering in his ear, "Come on, boy. Let's win this."

A horse and rider coursing over the ground as one, the horse's mane flowing freely like a flag in the wind. That was what Jason saw as Dixie and Sundancer galloped by like he was standing still. He couldn't believe the speed of the gelding, whose gold coat was glittering in the sunlight.

***

When Jason came cantering into the edge of town, he found Dixie waiting for him. He laughed, shaking his head. "Angel, you gave me a run for my money."

Dixie beamed, leaning over in her saddle with joy. "Told ya I'd beat you!"

"You sure did," Jason admitted as the two plodded along through Abilene, passing the blacksmith, inn, and mercantile.

Dixie's face scrunched into a look of disgust when they neared the Silver Spur Saloon.

The raucous laughter and out-of-tune music vibrating from the piano inside the saloon-and-brothel-combo was enough to discourage any moral person from entering. Out on the porch, a few scantily dressed women flaunted their wares and rubbed on the men standing with them.

The sight stirred something up in Jason he didn't want resurfacing. He closed his eyes, willing himself to breathe and forget those memories. Praying mentally, he nudged Raven to a faster clip and soon the saloon was out of sight.

It wasn't much longer after passing the rowdy house that the two made it to the end of town. They strayed off the dusty main road to a slim path in the grass so hard to see that, if they didn't know where they were going, could easily be passed up.

Jason and Dixie urged their horses into a gallop and, within moments, were dismounting in front of Dixie's home.

Tavin walked out of the house, a look of curiosity on his face. "What're y'all doin' here?"

Dixie shared a look with Jason. "I  need to talk you and Pa."

Jason grabbed Dixie's hand, giving it a squeeze. "As do I."

Tavin smiled, his mind going in a different direction than the actual reason they needed to talk to them. "Good thing y'all came when you did. I was fixin' to head out to your place, Jason."

The three of them entered the house, each with different emotions. Dixie was a little apprehensive, Jason was resolute, and Tavin was expecting a wedding to come soon.

Charles walked from the kitchen with a cup of coffee. He stopped in his tracks when he saw Jason and Dixie holding hands beside Tavin. "Welcome home, sweetheart. Howdy, son. What brings ya'll here?"

Jason gave Dixie's hand another squeeze. "We need to talk to you and Tavin."

Charles smiled as he took a sip of coffee. He sat down in the old armchair, waving the others to sit down. "If it's our blessin' you need, Jason, you already have it."

"The thing is . . ." Jason trailed off as he processed what Charles just said. "Blessin'?"

"Yes, blessin'. You know, our blessin' for you to marry Dixie," Charles explained, his eyebrows arched. "That is what you're askin' for, right?"

"N-no sir," Jason stuttered, his ears turning a bright pink. "Not yet."

Charles nearly strangled on his coffee. He swallowed with an audible gulp. "I'm sorry, son. What have y'all come to talk about?"

Dixie took the note from Jason when he pulled it out of his pocket. She unfolded it and handed it to Charles. "This. I found it on the table by my bed when I woke up this mornin'."

"Good gracious!" Charles exclaimed. "Why didn't you tell me this mornin'?"

"Or me?" Tavin asked, mixed emotions playing across his face as he stared at the note.

Dixie was on the verge of tears. "I didn't because y'all were so busy and I--"

Charles held the note up. "Baby girl, I'm never too busy for you or somethin' like this."

Jason nodded. "I told her that after she showed the note to me."

"You were right." Tavin shook his head. He looked over at Dixie. "That means it wasn't you we heard go to and from the porch last night, doesn't it?"

"Yes, it wasn't me," Dixie answered. She mentally kicked herself for not saying anything earlier. "I'm sorry I didn't tell y'all."

Charles got up from his chair, handing Tavin his cup as he sat beside Dixie and wrapped her up in a hug. "It's okay, don't worry about it. Just next time tell me, alright?"

Jason pulled another note from his pocket as Charles comforted Dixie. He raised it up for them to see. "I got one as well. This mornin' we found the back side of one of our pastures sawed down and all the horses gone. I found this note on one of the boards."

Charles looked at Jason with concern. "Why would both of you get these notes?"

Tavin turned to Jason. "There's rumor around town that you challenged Thomas McGuire."

"I went out yesterday to the Crooked M and told Thomas that the Double A was not for sale," Jason corrected, his tone solemn. "I also found Slick there. He's one of the cowpunchers there and claimed he's never been on our land."

Charles frowned, his features harboring an unreadable expression. "So the guy who rigged Matthew's saddle works for them and denied workin' for you? And you and Dixie got these notes today. . . . Seems to me that the Crooked M is out to get what they want, the Double A."

Jason sighed, looking up at the ceiling. "It's seems that way. I have news for them, they ain't gettin' it. What about y'all? How are we gonna keep Dixie safe?"

"Well," Charles drawled. "Besides havin' a night watch and lockin' the doors, I don't have any other ideas."

"We could get a dog," Tavin spoke up with a small grin.

Dixie wiped her face, staring at Tavin like he had lost his mind. "What good is a dog gonna do?"

Jason grinned at Tavin. He knew exactly what he was talking about. "Not just any dog, Dixie, but a guard dog."

Charles jumped up from his seat on the couch. "What a splendid idea! There's just one problem, I don't know where to find one."

"Leave that to me," Jason smiled, the gears of his mind working non-stop. "I know just the place."

η»§η»­ι˜…θ―»

You'll Also Like

136K 5.9K 35
"Dance with me." While I knew it wasn't a demand, it wasn't a question either. I hesitated and he noticed. "Come on Grace, give this gentleman the...
307K 12.8K 22
Jonathan Woods is upset when his late grandfather throws in a last minute stipulation into his will that either him or his sister must get married an...
7.1K 559 40
When a hunky cowboy saves city-bred Adelaide McCarthy from drowning in the icy cold Bear Head Creek, she feels strangely attracted to him. Recipe for...
895K 33K 41
Wade smiled at her, and their eyes met. Aubrey held her breath as she studied his sapphire eyes, so deep and so bold. If only they didn't look as if...