Welcome to New York

By feverdreamhigh

โ› It's not that I don't believe in love, I'm a strong believer of it actually, I'm just deathly terrified tha... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four

Five

601 28 22
By feverdreamhigh

•• Harry ••

In my four years of experience of being a barista, in the span of those four years, the questions like 'why did I even became a barista?', 'how did I even got this job in the first place again?' and 'what's the reason why I didn't quit from this job?' have came into my mind several times already.

Those repetitive questions just keeps coming back in my head and it keeps asking me and somehow I couldn't find the answers to those questions.

I'm not gonna lie this job is a bit boring and honestly, this wasn't what I expected my future to be.

My parents always expected me to be working for a high-end company or run my own business, but look how I ended up to be.
A fucking barista, here in New York.

My parents kept asking me why I won't quit from this 'nasty and disgusting job', at least that's what they say, and I'm honestly still finding a good reason why.

My train of thoughts got interrupted when Max called me, I shook off the thoughts clouding in my head consisting of asking myself why I'm still in this job.

I was leaning against the counter, my back feeling the polished wooden counter with my arms folded and placed on my chest..

Today's a slow day at the cafe, I've already counted the number of customers that went in and out of the door and it's only been twelve customers for today. Which is a bit low compared to the number of people here during the weekends.

"Hey, Harry. Mind if you make a drink for a customer?" Max asked with his usual nonchalant tone.

Max only started working here three months ago since the old cashier whose name is Danny resigned and moved back to his hometown with his wife.

Max is only twenty-two and he's the youngest from all of us, the eldest being Henry who's twenty-eight, just two years older than me.

"That's my job, isn't it? What's the drink?" I asked while I stood up properly to prepare myself to make a drink for a customer.

Making this the thirteenth customer for today.

"One caramel latte for miss blondie over there." He said, even though I didn't even asked for who it was.

He averted his look to the cashier counter and I followed my gaze on what's he's looking at or who's he looking at rather.

And I think I've just found a good reason on why I'm not going to quit.

I met her blue eyes but she immediately turned away, it's a shame though, I wanted to see more of her.

Alright, maybe it's too soon to say that I've found my reason why I'm staying. I've barely seen this entrancing lady, let alone ever seen her.

I believe I haven't seen her in town before. But nevertheless, if she'll come here every single day, then I'm more than willing to stay in this job just to see her face.

I only got a glimpse of her pretty face but that was more than enough.

I saw her blue eyes, and god they're the bluest eyes I've ever seen on anyone. In fact, it's as blue as the ocean. Her blonde hair that falls just above her shoulders and her red lips completes her look.

She's certainly a gorgeous woman.

"Earth to Harry? You still there? You seem to be a little entranced by blondie." Max said breaking my train of thoughts for the second time for today.

I blinked back a couple of times and shifted my look on Max who has a smirk plastered on his face.

"What are you smirking at?" I said in a low voice, a bit annoyed by the look he's giving me.

I've only known Max for three months but I already know that kind of look on his face.

And unfortunately, it isn't a good one.

"Oh nothing, get started on her order, will ya? I'll be heading at the back." He said and started to walk away and I was about to start the machine to make the caramel latte when I suddenly realized what he said.

"At the back? Don't you have to give this to her?" I asked, my voice wavering a bit at the mention of this wonderful lady.

Max turned around, facing me with that ridiculous smirk still on his face.

"Give it to her, won't you? I'll just be doing a quick check at the back. Alright? Thanks." Max said cheerily and before I could even protest he already went to the door, disappearing from my sight.

I sighed and turned back to make the caramel latte, it doesn't take a genius to know that Max obviously planned and thought about this. God, I fucking hate him.

He can really be an annoying prat sometimes. I turned on the machine and it let out quiet hums to signal that the machine is already starting and turned on.

The hums seems so loud from the silence filling the whole cafe. It was the only thing that you could hear, maybe except for the man taking a phone call that's been going on for a while now.

I glanced back at the lady and her face was turned back, leaving me seeing her blonde locks that's perfectly fixed. I looked back at the machine and started heating up the milk to make it foamy and airy and I did the usual procedures to make a caramel latte.

I did the usual steps but maybe I added a little bit more of caramel and milk than what the recipe really says. But it's for a lovely lady, who can possibly resist to give her little extra? And it wouldn't hurt if I give her a bit more than what usual customers will receive, would it?

While adding the caramel syrup on top, from the corner of my eyes I could see her looking at me putting the syrup on top of the foamy milk.

I could feel her eyes on me and it honestly made me tensed. I furrowed my brows and pursed my lips together, trying not my nervousness take over me.

Dammit, why does she have to stare at me like that? Why does her piercing blue eyes have to look at me like this? God, the effect of this lady has over me is quite unbelievable.

Once I was done adding the syrup on top, I placed the container back to its original position, right beside the carton of milk.

I carried the hot cup of caramel latte in my hand and sighed to myself.

Alright, here we go. I'm going to give this to her, not a big deal, right? I'm just going to hand this to her and she'll probably head out to the door and continue on with her day.

Right, it's not a big deal. There's nothing to worry about.

I walked towards the cashier counter with the steaming cup in my hand. She seemed to notice me going to her when she gave me a small smile.

God, why does she have to give me that smile of hers? Now every ounce of my confidence remaining seemed to washed off when her red lips formed into a smile. Fuck, this is way harder than what I imagined.

I continued walking towards her, my legs feeling like jelly and could fail at any minute now. But I tried my best not to make a fool out of myself, especially when she's looking at me.

I honestly tried to give her a smile in return but my lack of confidence seemed to waver, as all I did was making my lips form into a thin line.

When I got closer to her, I could smell her scent that makes me go weak even more if that's even possible since I'm already at my weakest point.

Her scent of lavender clouded my head and despite the smell of coffee surrounding the whole cafe, her scent is somehow overpowering it and it's honestly what I could only focus on.

I handed her the drink she ordered and in my four years of experience, I know what to say when I'm in a situation where I'm going to hand a customer their drinks.

And I usually use a polite tone while saying the lines, but it seemed to be missing and all I gave was a stuttering and low voice.

"Um, here's your order miss." I said, clearly that's not what I usually say to customers but the lines that were engraved in my head for the past four years seemed to be missing and faded out.

Despite my nervousness, she accepted and got the cup from my hands. Our fingers sort of brushing as she took the cup out of my hand.

I swear, I felt the butterflies in my stomach fluttering around and a sort of flutter of excitement and somehow I felt a euphoric sense of warmth going through my whole body.

And I honestly, thought that was the end of it. Normally, customers would mutter a short thank you before exiting the cafe or taking a vacant seat to mind their own business.

But fortunately, she spoke up while she held the cup in her hand.

"Thank you,-" She trailed off and I saw she squinted her eyes a bit and looked at my apron. I could already feel my palms getting sweaty as she looked at me like that.

What is this feeling anyway? The butterflies in my stomach, the nervousness, my lack of confidence and my hands being a little shaky.
All of these things happening to me are new and I honestly don't know what these are.

They're all brand new to me and I don't know how to handle it and what's it called.

"Harry." She finished her sentence and she gave me a smile which I finally returned. Only, mine's a bit smaller than hers. But who'd be able to smile when I'm feeling all of these baffling things on me?

And I honestly thought it'll end just right there. I thought she'll walk to the door and exit the cafe and walk to the streets with the steaming cup in her hand. And I thought this will be the last time I'll ever see her exquisite face again, but I was proven wrong when she took a seat near the window.

She placed down her cup on the round polished wooden table and pulled the chair for her to sit on. Giving me a clear view of her face and her entire physique.

Does she know that I'm intrigued by her and she's sitting there to tease me and play with me? God, I've barely said five words to her and she's already making me feel all of these strange things that I never felt before.

I went back to my usual position before she even notices me and probably think of me as a creep.

I went back but instead of pressing my back against the counter like what I did earlier, I leaned in instead. I placed my elbows on top of the counter, feeling the cold that made me slightly shiver.

Although, I could feel the cold touch on my forearms, all I could look and focus on is the lady sitting a few meters away from the counter.
Not too far and not too close, just enough to let me see a full view of her and she doesn't seem to notice as she's too preoccupied with her drink.

And I somehow couldn't take my eyes off her.

I took this as my chance to let my eyes aimlessly wander around her frame, she's certainly fit. Her black dress pants that's covering her legs really brings out her curves nicely, matching with a long-sleeved v-neck blouse and some black heels that isn't much taller than one inch or two. She looks professional, I'll tell you that.

And honestly, she isn't like those other girls who wears crop tops that shows too much of their skin and cleavage and wears shorts that barely even covers their legs and I've encounter some girls like that more than once in my lifetime.

Everything about her is certainly perfect, her clothing, her physique, her looks, her warm personality, her scent, her presence, her voice. God, her voice. The way she said my name sent shivers through my whole body. Her sweet angelic voice saying my name and honestly I've never appreciated or liked a customer saying my name like that.

She rested her chin on her hand that's placed on the table and she looked at the streets and passersby outside the window. Her bright blue eyes looking around the signs and people passing by the cafe, the way that her blue eyes scan the scene outside honestly made me weaker than I am right now.

God, what's happening with me? Why am I suddenly eager and keen to know more about this stunning lady? It's not like I haven't seen any good looking ladies before but her beauty and look is just different from what I've encountered and seen before. Fuck, do I need to see a doctor for this?

"You know what I smell? Apart from her lavender scent, I smell love in the air." Max said behind me, breaking my thoughts about this lady for the third time today and making me a bit startled by his sudden voice.

"Stop scaring me like that and what do you mean by love in the air?" I asked with a hint of annoyance in my tone and turned my face to look at him with that smirk still on his face. God, won't he take off that stupid smirk on his face?

He just chuckled and shook his head while walking towards me and stopping beside me to rest his forearms on the counter just like what I'm doing and looked at the same direction to where I was looking earlier before he intervened with my thoughts.

"Oh Harry, you never thought that I'd notice, did you? It's pretty obvious that you're in love at first sight."

I never really believed in the phrase 'love at first sight' and with all honesty, I think it's just absolutely ridiculous.

I've never really believed in any sayings and phrases in my whole life and if I get to decide which phrase is the most pathetic one that's ever been said by a human being, then it has to be that one.

I mean, who just magically falls in love with someone in just one look? What is this? Some kind of fairytale that a man or a woman surprisingly falls in love when they look at someone? It's just absurd and honestly, I could just laugh thinking about it.

I just never understood the concept of falling in love with someone within in a blink of an eye. How could they be so sure that you're in love and you're not just imagining things up and getting mixed feelings?

And how could Max say that I'm 'in love'? How could he be sure and how did he even noticed? God, I'm really naive when it comes to the topic of love.

And I've got to admit, I've never really fell in love before. Well, I did had a girlfriend once but I never really thought and believed what we had was called love. For me, our entire year of relationship was called and labeled as lust.

"Love at first sight? Really?" I asked sarcastically and turned my attention back to the lady who's sipping on her cup of latte while looking at the window with a handful of orange dried leaves scattered on the streets.

"Yes, really. What I'm seeing right now is definitely love at first sight, there's no denying that." He said confidentially, looking at me as if he's an expertise in love when in reality, he never had a girlfriend before.

I shifted my gaze at him and let out a small scoff while he placed a hand on his chest, covering his name tag and looking offended.

"Hey, I may not have a girlfriend but it doesn't take a genius to know that you're in love, Harold." He replied using my full name and rolled his eyes, I furrowed my brows at him, completely annoyed by him.

Why can't he just leave me alone while I do my own thing (which is admiring this lady) while he does his own thing.

"It's not love, Max. It's called being, intrigued."

"Nope, I'm pretty sure it's called love. You can even ask Henry about it and you know he has a lot of experience within love." Max said making Henry's head turn to our direction and stopping what he was doing earlier which was grinding the coffee beans.

I couldn't blame Max for that one, Henry really has some experience when it comes to love.

He already had nine girlfriends in total and some of the stories he shared a day ago includes of him getting cheated on by his girlfriend with his own cousin, a girl once robbed him when he was just going out to run some errands but for me I think the worse thing that happened to Henry when there was one he said the girl admitted to him that she was lesbian when Henry was going to propose to her the very next day.

He was heartbroken and shattered that he almost ended his life right there. So Henry really has a handful of experiences when it comes to love and now he's currently single and he said he's going to find someone who's serious and the right one who won't fuck up his heart like the rest of his girlfriends did.

"I heard my name being mentioned in your conversation. What is it Max?" Henry asked as he washed his hands in the sink just right beside him, making the sound of water coming out from the faucet hitting his hands and the sink slightly making it audible in the whole cafe.

"Well Harold here, doesn't believe he's gotten love in first sight with miss blondie over there. He says he's just, 'intrigued'" Max said while making those air quotations with his fingers as he said it and Henry dried his hands with a towel that's hanging on a small rack.

He nods his head and sighed while leaning against the counter, with his back slightly slouching on the counter.

"Do you mean that blonde over there?" He said but quiet not to attract any attention from the other customers, especially her.

God, if she hears this conversation then it's going to be the most embarrassing moment of my life.

Henry directed his attention to the lady that's sitting near the window with the cup still in her hand and her head facing sideways, that she's looking out the window.
Max nodded to answer Henry's question and he pursed his lips and crossed his arms.

"Well, from the look you gave her a while ago and from the way you acted, then I could assure you Harry that it's definitely love at first sight." Henry said while Max smiled triumphantly leaving me with my brows still furrowed.

"How can you be so sure Henry? Plus, I didn't know that you saw me looking at her like that." I muttered while Max still has his smile on his face saying 'I told you so'.

"Let me ask you this, Harry. How did it felt when you were giving miss blondie over there, her order?" Henry asked while raising a brow and Max suddenly wiped the smile off his face, looking interested in the question that Henry gave me.

I honestly couldn't believe that we're having this conversation right now. They're both saying that I'm in love when I'm just honestly intrigued by her, well that's at least what I keep telling myself.

Nevertheless how could they be so sure and certain that I'm in love? I've barely met this woman, let alone know her name and how could I develop sudden feelings for her?

Because, when someone says love, I define that as spending some time with the other person while developing feelings for that person. That's how I describe love.

Since I've barely spent some time with this lady, then I don't call it love. I just think it's just me being intrigued.

"Honestly?" I asked and took a glance at her. She's on her phone, talking to someone while the cup of latte that she ordered earlier is in her free hand with the steam wavering.

I'm honestly glad that she's not hearing any of this and of course, I'm not planning letting her know either. I averted my gaze back to Max and Henry and they both nodded.

I sighed, I guess I really have to be truthful about this.

"Well, when I first laid my eyes on her my first impression was she's definitely a good looking lady. What's the most eye catching about her, is her eyes. Have you guys seen her eyes? It's seriously the most bluest thing I've ever seen. And her personality, I don't know but somehow I just felt all warm inside and I get nervous all of a sudden. And when I handed her the cup, our fingers brushed slightly and I think I almost passed out." I sighed while reminiscing the memory not less than thirty minutes ago.

"See?" Max said while eyeing me with his hazel eyes while Henry just shook his head with a smirk on his face.

"See what?" I asked and Max rolled his eyes at me while placing his palm of his forehead.

"Are you really this oblivious and naive, Harry? God, don't you see it?" Max asked with a bit of irratation quite obvious in his tone. He crossed both of his arms and placed them on his chest.

"See-?"

"See that you're definitely in love Harry." Henry said, cutting and interrupting what I was about to say.

Why do they keep assuming and telling me that I'm in love? God, they can really be annoying sometimes.

"I'm telling you, I'm not in love. Do I need to spell it out for you? I'm just intrigued, alright? It's not a big deal." I said, adding a scoff at the end of my sentence while rolling my eyes.

I turned back to face her and she's sitting calmly in her seat while occasionally tapping her fingertips on the table.

"Why are you even denying it Harry? What's wrong with that?" Max asked but I didn't glanced at him, I just kept staring at her aimlessly and I'm honestly glad she doesn't even have a single idea about this.

"Because I'm not. What makes even makes you say and think that I'm in love?" I replied while I could see Max from the corner of my eye shaking his head is disapproval.

"Harry, by just the way you talk about her you sound like you're in love with her." Henry stated.

"Whatever, I'm not in love and that's final."

"Fine, you're not in love.. yet." Max said while I turned to face him with my brows furrowed and I could feel a line forming at my crease.

"Excuse me-?" I didn't even got the chance to finish what I was about to retort when the entrance door of the cafe bursted wide open.

The door was opened rather harshly than what we expected, attracting a few attentions and looks from the people inside but soon turned away to mind their own business.

The door opened to reveal a girl with hazelnut wavy locks that ends just above her waistline. Her dirty white sweater has a few leaves sticking on them as the wind blew her whole body but she quickly dusted them off and she slightly panted, catching her breath as if she ran a hundred miles.

I thought she was about to go to the cashier counter, as that's what people normally do when they enter, but I was proven wrong when she approached her.

"Oh God, Taylor. I'm sorry I'm late! My boss kept ranting about the sales and shit that I didn't even understand. I'm-" She was cut off by the blonde girl who I'm assuming her name is Taylor as what her friend just mentioned.

I know eavesdropping isn't the best behavior but you couldn't honestly blame me when the girl just bursted out and didn't even bother to keep her voice down.
I mean, if you're in a cafe that's quiet and is filled with silence, anyone could honestly hear someone's conversation if they don't keep their tone in a minimum.

"Selena, it's fine. Don't worry about it. I haven't ordered anything for you yet since I don't know what would you like but let's just eat lunch, shall we?" Taylor said in a more quieter tone compared to Selena's but unfortunately I still heard her since the cafe is completely silent and anyone could hear a needle drop at this point.

"It's fine, I packed my lunch. So, any luck on finding a job?" Selena asked as she pulled the chair across from Taylor and sat on it and took out a sandwich from her bag.

While I was intently listening to their conversation, I felt someone nudged me at my chest rather harshly than what I expected. I turned to face at Max while he had a grin plastered on his face and he wiggled his brows at me, giving me a mischievous look.

"What?" I whispered at him with annoyance quite evident in my tone.

"Why the fuck are you just standing here and listening to their conversation? For God's sake Harry, go to Miss Blondie and talk to her. Make a move!" He said in a somewhat whisper yell tone. I rolled my eyes at him turned to face back at them to see them having their own conversation.

"Sorry, making a move isn't my forte. It isn't that easy as it looks, Max. And why don't you do it?" I asked in bored tone while I placed my elbow on the counter and rested my chin on my hand.

"That sounds like a challenge. Are you challenging me, Styles?"

"And what if I am?" I asked him and I've got to admit, he already piqued my interest.

"Fine, then consider it as challenge accepted." He said rather proud and confidently.

He walked passed by me and I could feel my heart racing. I honestly thought he was just kidding around and messing with me. I never thought he'd take it seriously.

I grabbed his arm before he could walk away from my reach and go to Taylor and actually make a move. He turned around and raised his left brow at me and a smirk was forming on his lips.

"Wait, you're actually going to do it?"

"It's a challenge, isn't? And don't worry Harry, I won't make a move on Taylor. Maybe just a bit but I'll be more focused on that brunnte. She looks rather hot." He stated and pulled his arm away from my grasp.

Before I could even utter a single word, he already walked away from the counter and walked towards to their table.

I could feel my palms getting sweaty and my breath getting shaky. I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to calm myself and ease this nerve-wracking sense that I'm feeling.

"Good afternoon ladies, how are you enjoying the ambience of the cafe so far?" Max started making me mentally face-palming myself. Oh God, this isn't going to be good.

"It's great, thanks for asking." Selena replied with a smile etched on her lips while Taylor looked at Max and back at Selena while taking a sip from her cup.

"I couldn't help but eavesdrop in your conversation and I must say, Taylor and Selena are wonderful names." Max said and I saw Selena's cheeks turned into a shade of pink while Taylor's red lips formed into a small smile.

"And my name is Max. Max Carson. It's nice to meet you Selena and Taylor." Max extended his hand out for them to shake. Selena took it first, shaking his hand while looking at his eyes looking as if she's swooning and was swept by Max. Taylor shook his hand after Selena did and she gave him a warm smile.

A smile that I could honestly get used to.

"Alright, so um.. I actually a friend of mine and I thought about that maybe we should all hang out sometime." He said as nonchalantly as possible and I cursed under my breath as he mentioned his 'friend'.

Dammit, does he really have to drag me into this. And plus, he just said that 'we' thought about hanging out with them.

When in reality, we never even touched the subject of hanging out with them, we didn't even thought about it for God's sake.

I have to admit though, we sounded genuine and sincere and it actually sounded as if we planned this. And I've got to give him credits for his convincing tone.

"Your friend? Who?" Selena asked as she slightly raised a brow at him.

"He's just at the back of the counter. He's right there." Max said and he stepped aside to give Selena a better look at me. At the corner of my eye, I saw Taylor looked at me with her lovely sapphire-like eyes.

My heart started racing as she stared at me. I would've backed out and went to the back door but I thought that it wouldn't be a nice impression for them and she would probably consider me as rude.

So, instead of hiding and avoiding their gazes, I gave them a small smile. Selena returned the gesture, as well as Taylor.

But maybe I might have liked Taylor's smile better.

"His name is Harry." Max introduced while I gave them a small wave, not bothering to go to their table because I didn't want to embarrass myself by awkwardly standing there and being the nervous wreck I am.

"So, about the little hang out I mentioned. Are you two alright with it?" Max asked and Selena turned to face Max while Taylor checked me, with her blue eyes wandering around my figure.

Oh God, I could feel heart racing faster if that's even possible as she looked at me.

But I guess it was fair enough for the both of us, as I checked her out a while ago.

"That sounds like a great idea. Is Saturday night good for you?" Selena asked and a smile formed on Max's lips.

"Of course, that'd be perfect. And what about you Taylor? Is it okay for you to hang out with us?" Max asked and Selena turned to face Selena, the look on her face was urging her say yes.

But she looked quite hesitant and unsure, as if what she's about to get into is a whole lot of trouble.

After debating and thinking about whether or not if this is a good idea, she finally answered.

"Um.. Yeah. It's alright."

I swear, I just felt my heart skipped a beat when she looked at me again.

This upcoming Saturday is going to be more exciting and maybe a bit more fun than what I've gotten used to.

God, I bet Saturday is going to be one hell of ride.

••

Just a little heads up, this is going to be the start of the switching of pov's. Meaning, in chapters it could be Harry's pov or Taylor's pov, or maybe it could even be both.

Anyways, that's all and I'll see you guys in the next!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7K 1K 52
Taylor Swift is living her life too peacefully, she didn't think anything was wrong with it. . . Until she received a box full of things she never th...
23K 985 36
โ Well find another one because she belongs to me. โž โ”โ” Taylor Swift is living a 'boring' life as what others have told her. She has no drama, no par...
29.2K 1.3K 63
Taylor is a beautiful naรฏve and very smart girl. She is organized and sweet. She aces her classes and doesn't care if the cool kids in their school h...
28.7K 1.9K 41
After moving on from their past, two people from different worlds slowly fall in love unexpectedly. Taylor, who used to lead an ordinary life in Penn...