Shattered | D'Angelo Russell

By hopesashes

It keeps shattering Nothing matters If it's no trust between these four walls And it's all built up on lies a... More

1
CAST
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
Read Me
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y o n e
t w e n t y t w o
t w e n t y t h r e e
t w e n t y f o u r
t w e n t y f i v e
t w e n t y s i x
t w e n t y s e v e n
t w e n t y e i g h t
t w e n t y n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y o n e
t h i r t y t w o
t h i r t y f o u r
t h i r t y f i v e
t h i r t y s i x
t h i r t y s e v e n
t h i r t y e i g h t
t h i r t y n i n e
f o r t y
f o r t y o n e
f o r t y t w o
f o r t y t h r e e
f o r t y f o u r
f o r t y f i v e
f o r t y s i x
e p i l o g u e

t h i r t y t h r e e

1.2K 43 59
By hopesashes

"That's daddy!"

Zolee cooed as she rocked Zaid in front of their television. The Nets were having an interview on their future and D'Angelo was speaking on his hopes for the team. The twins had only been home for a week but their routine seemed like one Zolee had been set by for ages. Some days she struggled but most of the time she had help so things ran smoothly. Today she had D'Angelo's mother who hadn't put Zaire down since she walked in the house.

"He's going to be home soon!" Zolee continued as Zaid who followed the sounds of her voice before he nuzzled into his swaddle. She enjoyed his peace, the way it settled across his tiny features. Taking his hand she marveled at the ten tiny perfect fingers before she took a seat next to Keisha.

"Are they driving you crazy yet?"

The older woman queried as she looked down at Zaire. Without a doubt he was the fussier twin , Zaire would cry at the slightest things and in doing so he would often wake his brother. It was difficult to discern their needs at first but now Zolee felt more accustomed to them. Zaid liked food and serenity , silence soothed him while Zaire liked music, preferably the sounds of J. Cole and Drake.

"Not even , I'm still in awe of them. I feel like they've changed me."

"Well , they should and they have. You and D'Angelo seem even more united , mature too. I watched him the other day with Zaire. They both were listening to rap music and he just held him until he stopped fussing then they just sat there. In fact they both fell asleep right in that spot."

Smiling fondly , Zolee thought on the few times she'd caught D'Angelo absorbed in his new permanent occupation.

"It's beautiful you know? He's so gentle with them."

"You're also a lot more vulnerable with them too" Keisha's observation took her off guard "I see the way you look at Zaid , almost as if he reminds you of someone. He seems like he's been here before. I haven't seen him cry much for anything, he's so calm. "

"Yeah , I know where he gets it from and it's definitely not me or D'Angelo. This is going to sound crazy because he's just a week old but when I look at him , his eyes , he reminds me of my dad. He's definitely developing D'Angelo's features everywhere else but I see my dad in his eyes."

Keisha observed Zolee for a moment before she squeezed her shoulder.

"D'Angelo told me about your family. I asked if they'd be coming to see the twins and he explained it to me. Zolee these babies are the biggest blessings you can get and I love what you've done to and for my son but I'm asking you to tell me the truth right now."

Turning towards her expected mother-in-law , Zolee furrowed her brows as Keisha continued.

"Are you really okay? If I lost as much as you , I'd be going through it for a long time."

"Honestly I don't think it's possible to get over it Ms. Keisha. I just accept it because there's nothing else I can really do but I'm healing. If I dwell on what's been taken from me , I can't appreciate what I've been given. I have a family now and they need me to be alright."

Keisha admired Zolee's strength. Staring into her eyes she saw nothing but resilience. The last time she'd seen that look it was in her own son as he fought for his reputation and dream to stay alive.  Zolee had grown on her , she could see the sincerity in the young woman's actions, but the brokenness was also evident. Had she healed her son while neglecting her own wounds?

"And your sister?"

The subject matter was more complicated. Zolee had reached out to Zara , spoken to her from the ward they'd placed her in at a mental health facility in Washington. Kaia had also checked in and spoken to Zara who said she wished to be left alone and that she was fine. According to Kaia , Zara looked well , her eyes were vacant but everything else looked no different than it did in January.

"She doesn't want me to come see her but she says she's fine. I told her about the twins and that softened her for a bit but she's battling. I've been so hard on her about something she can't control and I told her I was sorry. She said she forgave me but I don't know if that was the medication. I want to see her, but the boys are so young and she doesn't want me there. She told me she needs space , so for the first time in a long time I'll believe her and I'll pray for her. She's all I have left."

"You're doing the right thing Zolee."

Hearing it was what she needed because most days she wasn't certain. D'Angelo advised her time and time again, but her heart never stopped aching. It hurt to be so distant from someone that once was the center of your universe. After her father passed , Zara was her role model. When things went left , Misa occupied two roles : parent and example.

"Thank you for saying that and thank you for checking in. It means a lot to me."

"Yes well , you're important to my son so you're important to me. Also I felt like this was a conversation we should have before Alicia arrives."

Stunned , Zolee gaped at Keisha who nodded grimly.

"She called Antonio and he asked D'Angelo when would be best. Seeing as he has to travel for an away game soon he decided he wanted her to come when he would be home. He told me about what happened concerning her too."

"So do you think I'm paranoid?"

"No , I think you're smart to protect your family , even from other members of the family."

Nodding at the response , Zolee got up and looked at Zaid who was sound asleep before walking him to a cot they'd placed in the living room. Keisha placed Zaire in it as well before they placed a blanket over the sleeping twins.

Just as Zolee finished tucking them in the door opened revealing D'Angelo who was closely followed by his aunt. Striding over to his girlfriend he wrapped an arm around her waist before he kissed her cheek.

"Looks like they weren't much trouble today."

"An absolute breeze, unlike their father." Keisha teased before she looked at her former sister in law who was sharply surveying D'Angelo and Zolee's interactions "Come to see the two stars , Alicia?"

Grinning , Alicia stepped forward and surveyed the babies.

"Of course, Keisha , you know my nephew and I have always been close. I couldn't possibly not pay a visit to babies this cute, Zolee you only carried them they look just like my D'Angelo."

Smirking , Zolee picked up on the sharpness of her tone as the older woman turned to her and held out a hand which she shook. D'Angelo squeezed Zolee's waist subtly in support.

"Nice to finally meet you, amazing how it takes a baby or rather babies for people to introduce themselves to their partner's family."

Puckering her lips , Keisha bit back her words and stared at Zolee who was still composed. D'Angelo inwardly rolled his eyes at his aunt's baits before he pulled Zolee to sit down with him.

"I'm here , don't let her get to you." He whispered softly into her ear earning a nod before Zolee returned her focus to his aunt.

"D'Angelo and I took things at a different pace , that's true but based on the past years I had I'm sure you can imagine how difficult it would've been to meet extended members of his family."

Furrowing her brow at 'extended' , Alicia crossed her legs before she spoke up.

"And what could be so important that you would neglect getting to know the people that raised D'Angelo to be the man you claim to love?"

"Well , I did meet and speak with Ms. Keisha multiple times before these twins were born and I have a great relationship with his father , brothers and his little sisters who've facetimed me incessantly to meet their nephews. However, I also was dealing with my sister who was very ill and is currently still in hospital as well as the death of my grandmother who raised me after both of my parents died when I was very young."

Alicia was unnerved by Zolee's response. It was evident in the way she gaped that she felt slightly ashamed.

"Oh I wasn't aware that my family knew you so well or that your family was going through so much. Nonetheless , I just want to be assured that D'Angelo is not making the mistake I think he is."

"AUNTIE!" D'Angelo warned sternly , however Aunt Alicia carried on.

"I had someone check you out when D'Angelo first expressed interest. You don't seem like you know what you want out of life. You haven't held a job steadily , you moved to New York here with him on a whim and you put him through all of your emotional turmoil according to a very close source of mine. What is it that you bring to the table besides your uterus?"

"ALICIA THAT'S ENOUGH!" Keisha admonished sternly while D'Angelo stood.

"You're not going to talk to her like that Aunt Alicia , not in my home."

"Oh" Alicia scoffed before she looked at her family as she also stood up "You mean the home she contributes nothing to , not a single bill or pay cheque.

"Just because I don't doesn't mean I can't. Your nephew is adamant on handling things and taking care of his family , I won't challenge him on that. I make my own money and I have held a steady job since I came here at Buzzfeed as well as through photography which pays me very well and is flexible to my schedule. If you're trying to insinuate that you think I'm just here for his money , with all respect I'd advise you to tread lightly."

Standing up , Zolee stood in between D'Angelo and Alicia.

"And if your coveted source was that so-called assistant you sent here to break us up , I would double check those facts and stories she managed to whip up in her mind. I've gone through too much this year to endure your foolishness as well."

Holding her chest , Alicia chuckled at Zolee before pushing her aside so that she was in front of her nephew.

"I was trying to save you from yourself. Monica was much better for you, Zolee getting pregnant was a mistake , you don't have to build your life on that."

The ball was in D'Angelo's hands. His mother had pulled Zolee away seeing that her anger was bubbling and now they were both staring at him. The twins , oblivious to the tension of their surroundings were still sleeping peacefully.

"No , Zolee getting pregnant was unplanned but it was the greatest thing that could've happened for me because it cemented us. You don't have to agree with my choices auntie but you will respect them."

"Or what?"  Venom hung off the two words as Alicia said it.

"Or you won't be welcome anymore. Zolee is the mother of my children , if you can't respect her then you don't respect me and you don't deserve to be in my life or the lives of my sons because she's an intricate part of both. Also don't ever interfere in my life the way you did through Monica ever again."

Grinning Keisha took satisfaction in the way her son was taking on his role of being a father. He was doing what was right and she couldn't be prouder of him. Zolee was also in awe of him.

"So you would choose her over your family?"

Shrugging , D'Angelo gave his aunt a sad look before he began to walk away from her towards the door.

"You made the choice for me auntie."

Keisha could see the war going on in D'Angelo's mind. Alicia was his favorite aunt so she knew that this was tearing him up inside. Looking toward her stunned sister in law, Keisha decided to finish what D'Angelo had bravely started.

"I think you've worn out your welcome Alicia, seems it's time to get back to your hotel."

Gathering her purse , Alicia pushed past Zolee violently bumping the young woman out of the way as she marched toward her nephew.

"You never turn your back on family D'Angelo."

"You should take your own advice auntie. Zo is family."

With that said , Alicia stormed through the door and D'Angelo closed it behind her quickly. The silence that clouded the room allowed the auras of every person that occupied it to be amplified. Keisha was peaceful , Zolee was shocked and D'Angelo was many things. Walking towards his girlfriend , he kissed her forehead tenderly and then he hugged his mother before retreating upstairs.

"Give him time Zolee."

Keisha knew D'Angelo better than anyone, so she knew that what he needed most at the moment was space.

-

Reaching out for him , Zolee felt only the satin of their sheets before her eyes opened. Grabbing her phone she took in the time , 4 AM. There was only one place he could possibly be.

Sliding on a dark blue silk robe over her negligee she ambled towards the twin's nursery where she found him. His back to her , she stared as he rocked Zaire while his phone lightly played the instrumental to J. Cole's  She's Mine Pt. 2.

"One day when you gon' want to get your way
Yeah I'll have fun with that
Reminisce when you came out the womb
Tears of joy I think filled up the room
You are now the reason that I fight
I ain't never did nothing that's right in my whole life
Got me thinking...

Am I worthy of this gift
Am I strong enough to lift, into a place that I can see
Someone more important than me."

D'Angelo rapped the words to their son who calmed with each line from his father's mouth before his eyes began to flutter again. Holding his son close as he eventually stopped reciting the lyrics , D'Angelo closed his eyes for a moment. Zolee stood arrested by the sight in the doorway , her heart full.

Walking lightly , Zolee placed a hand on his back as she kissed Zaire's forehead and then his father's shoulder.

"That was beautiful D."

D'Angelo smirked before he placed a now sleeping Zaire back in his crib and secured his swaddle then turned back to Zolee. Placing her hands on his chest , she stared into his eyes and sighed at the emotion she saw in them. He was still at war.

"Let's talk about it."

Nodding , he simply took her hands and walked them back to their bedroom. It took no time for him to pull her onto his lap as he sat back while he took in her features.

"I'm sorry that things have to be this way between you and your aunt."

"They didn't have to be , she chose this and I chose you. I'm not sorry about that Zolee because I know what I want. I'm just disappointed in her and I'm pissed at the lengths she went to, you were right baby."

A knot formed in Zolee's stomach as she fiddled with her fingers.

"I wish I weren't baby but thank you for defending me and our family."

"That's my job Zolee , I didn't think twice about it because I know that I love you. There's no chapter I have planned for my life that does not include you and our sons."

She'd never get tired of hearing that because that was what was keeping her going. Love was something she'd never received in the traditional ways. Her mother was a vague memory and her dad a bittersweet one. Misa embraced her and showed her what it was and so did Zara until things shifted with her health. D'Angelo was different than Amari , he'd seen her in every state, and he hadn't run, they'd been tested and thrown but they always stayed together.

Placing her hands on either side of his face , she kissed him passionately as she felt the extent of her feelings for him erupt inside of her.

"I'm so happy you annoyed me that night in the club."

"I'm glad you didn't give in. You made me earn you."

Snorting, Zolee waved her hand before she motioned to outside their room.

"We had sex pretty quickly."

D'Angelo waved the comment off with a roll of his eyes.

"Nah , I mean sex is easy to get. You didn't give it to me until I was already hooked by who you were. That might have been the first time you opened up to me but you shared so much of yourself a connection between us was instantly formed. When we had sex , it only made it deeper because I knew the you that other people didn't get to see. You also saw me in a way I didn't show anyone else hardly and that's why I got stuck on you. You saw me and you let me see you. The more you opened up to me , the more you let me help you , the greater my love for you grew. I had to earn your trust step by step."

"I didn't realize you looked at it that deeply."

Chuckling at her dazed expression , D'Angelo caressed her face before kissing her lips softly.

"I look at you like that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 81 22
Try to read this and one thing is for sure. The word D.R.0.W.N.€.D...... is understatement. A: Gracias Kabibies! Thank you for always supporting me...
109K 2.6K 14
Viewer Discretion Advised.
9.2K 513 30
It's harder then it seems
257K 4.7K 18
in which she could've sworn that he wanted her friend first or in which an affair was bound to happen