Penult (The Liminality, Part...

By ASparrow

James Moody has grown weary of the after lands, and wants nothing more than to rebuild a quiet life in the li... More

Penult (The Liminality, Part Four)
Chapter 1: Prison
Chapter 2: Belinda
Chapter 3: Excursion
Chapter 4: Together
Chapter 5: Zhang
Chapter 6: London
Chapter 7: Scotland
Chapter 8: Inverness
Chapter 9: Manchester
Chapter 10: Brynmawr
Chapter 11: Spades
Chapter 12: Wake
Chapter 13: Gone
Chapter 14: Ravaged
Chapter 15: Kitt
Chapter 16: Below
Chapter 18: The War Chamber
Chapter 19: Wings
Chapter 20: Expedition
Chapter 21: Breakthrough
Chapter 22: Awakened
Chapter 23: Search Party
Chapter 24: Flying Lessons
Chapter 25: Outside
Chapter 26: The Basin
Chapter 27: Condor
Chapter 28: New Axum
Chapter 29: Zhang
Chapter 30: The Warren
Chapter 31: The Offer
Chapter 32: Visitors
Chapter 33: The Grotto
Chapter 34: The Assault
Chapter 35: Retaliation
Chapter 36: The Pillars
Chapter 37: The Bog
Chapter 38: Dive Bombed
Chapter 39: Plasma
Chapter 40: Tigger
Chapter 41: The Cracker
Chapter 42: Treachery
Chapter 43: Expedition
Chapter 44: The Interrogation
Chapter 45: Never
Chapter 46: Replicas
Chapter 47: Bones
Chapter 48: John
Chapter 49: Retreat
Chapter 50: The Stand
Chapter 51: Decision
Chapter 52: Escape from Aberdeen
Chapter 53: Stromness
Chapter 54: Volunteers
Chapter 55: The Shore
Chapter 56: Rendezvous
Chapter 57: The Scouts Return
Chapter 58: Regrouping
Chapter 59: The Boat
Chapter 60: Stalked
Chapter 61: Flotsam
Chapter 62: Raiders
Chapter 63: Loomis
Chapter 64: Demons
Chapter 65: Replica
Chapter 66: The Parting
Chapter 67: The Black
Chapter 68: Above
Chapter 69: Falling

Chapter 17: Old Friends

97 11 0
By ASparrow

Lille leapt out of her chair and flew across the garden, trampling the roots Bern was attempting to tame. She beat her partner to the fence, smothering me in hugs and pecks across the pickets. The burn scars on her face once again evident. All of the expert flesh-weaving she had received in Frelsi had regressed.

“I’d better go,” said Kitt, backing away. “Luther expects an immediate briefing anytime someone returns from the surface.”

“Okay. Tell him I’ll drop in later.”

“Better make it sooner,” said Kitt, with something between a frown and a smile. She strode off between a pair of half-built hovels, roofless with walls of flattened and matted root.

Lille reached over and pinched my waist.

“My, you’re a skeleton! I thought you would have packed on some pounds being out of prison and all.”

“Well, we’ve been on the road a bit. Now, we’re back in Wales. The goat farm burnt down. And the owner’s nephew was killed in a motorcycle accident.”

“Oh my! So sorry to hear. A shame you’ve had no chance to enjoy your freedom.”

“Well, it was nice … for a day. We went up to the Dolomites, but then—”

“We’re at war, James,” said Bern, gripping my hand like it was an eel he didn’t want to slip away.

“I noticed.”

“Losing badly too, I must say.”

“What they did up there … it’s really awful.”

“Our life up top was too good to be true,” said Bern. “Too good to last. A paradise lost.”

“Not so fast,” said Lille. “The fat lady has yet to sing. Nor the thin lady, for that matter.”

“The will be the seventh … count them … seventh cabin I’ve built in the Liminality since before the old Burg. This time, at least, I think we have perfected the layout.”

“Yes dear. This will be the best one yet,” said Lille, wrapping an arm around Bern. “If only we can get these roots to cooperate. They’re so damned stubborn!”

“So how have you been, James?” said Bern.

“I’m … okay.”

Lille and Bern shared a glance.

“And Karla?” said Lille. “How is she?”

“She’s missing.”

“What?”

“I got up the other morning and she was gone.”

“Where did she go?” said Lille.

“I have no idea. She just … disappeared.”

“Well, that certainly explains how you got here,” said Bern. “Nothing like a bit of loss to get the roots sniffing after your tail.”

“There has to be more to this story,” said Lille. “Young women don’t simply vanish.”

“I mean, we went looking for Izzie. Maybe her dad kidnapped her. But then again, she was mad at me. She kept wanting me to come here … but I was blocked.”

“Come here? To do what?” said Bern. The row of roots he had been attempting to train was already beginning to sag.

“Exactly!”

“So you had a spat,” said Lille.

“A little disagreement. But nothing that should have made her leave me. No note. Nothing. She didn’t even take her shoes.”

“Oh. That doesn’t sound good.”

“Yeah, I know. That’s why I can’t rule out the bad stuff.”

Lille shared another glance with Bern, their bows creased.

“Are you hungry?” said Lille. “We’ve already had our dinner, but—”

“I’m fine, actually. I fixed myself some ... roots. A bit muddy but they were good.”

Lille gave me a cockeyed look.

“Well, don’t just stand there on the other side of the fence. Come and sit with us a bit.”

“I should probably go and see Luther.”

“Oh, the old man can wait. He’s busy grilling his scouts.”

***

I followed Bern and Lille onto the porch and took a seat on a sprawling wicker armchair. They hadn’t taken any pains to conceal the appearance of the raw roots that comprised the faux rattan.

Bern caught me staring out into space. “James? Are you okay?”

“I’m just … in a little bit of shock. I mean, between what happened with Karla and all that God-awful mess above.”

“It was too good to last,” said Bern. “Life was good on the surface. Luther and Yaqob had become best chums. The Frelsians were behaving themselves, staying on their mountain. The new Burg was becoming a humming metropolis before the Seraphs came with their Cherubs and dissonance engines.”

“But the new, new Burg is coming along just swell,” said Lille. “It will be like old times before you know it. Maybe even better. Luther has become almost… can you believe it? Sane.”

“True,” said Bern. “No more freak shows. He limits himself to two legs now. And his ego has shriveled to almost human proportions. It is really quite amazing to see.”

A patch of roots had come loose from the floor and were attempting to flee. Lille picked up a broom and swept them off the porch.

“Let me put on some tea. I can offer some biscuits as well, but I’m afraid you might find them a little tough. The roots around here are all terribly refractory to weaving. They’ve never been shaped, apparently. It’s all virgin territory.”

She put away the broom and slipped inside the cabin while Bern took a seat beside me on a rocker.

“She’s not the same you know,” he said, his voice hushed.

“Lille?”

“Yes. She’s changed. She’s mostly still there, but they’ve changed her. She’s a different person. She doesn’t remember everything. She carries … false memories. They changed her … her … soul.”

“But she seems like the old Lille to me.”

“She is mostly. But I see the changes. I suspect they did the same to your mum.”

“My mother was worse. Way worse. She didn’t even remember me.”

Dishes clattered and Bern stiffened and looked away. Lille brought out the tea in little china cups, chipped and cracked. Her tea was intense and delicious as ever, but clear as spring water.

“Do you guys know anything about the Friends of Penult?”

“Friends?” said Bern. “I wouldn’t have thought Penult would have had any friends,” said Bern. “Not after what they’ve done up top.”

“They’re on the other side. They … uh … they didn’t want me to come here. I wonder what they’ll once they find out I came.”

“Well, that’s bad news,” said Lille. “If they’re active on the other side. I mean, I knew Frelsi had Facilitators. I even contracted one for a time. But Penult? That’s very bad news indeed that they can meddle on both sides of the wall.”

“They’re powerful, James,” said Bern. “You saw what they did. If I didn’t know better I would have taken that power for the hand of God.”

“You’re sure it’s not?”

“Yes,” said Bern. “I’m sure. Don’t ask me how. But I’m sure.”

A wave of queasiness swept over me. I thought it was the beginning of a fade, but I help up my hand and it looked as solid as ever.

“Just so you guys know I don’t expect to be here much longer,” I said. “I could fade any minute now. I can feel it coming.”

“Not before you finish your tea, I hope. You only just got here.”

“Nah, I’ve been here a while. A lot longer than I expected.”

“You’ll visit again soon, I hope?” said Bern.

“Bern, don’t wish the boy ill.”

“I’m just thinking, with Miss Karla gone and all, maybe….”

“Perhaps she’s already returned and waiting for James at home.”

“Do you think?” I said.

“Of course!” said Lille.

“I can’t help wondering if maybe she ran off to make me think something bad happened to her, I mean just to get me here.”

“We can only hope that’s the case,” said Lille. “Though I don’t understand why she would want you here.”

“She’s done with life, she says. She wants us to be Freesouls.”

“What? A healthy young couple like you with your whole life ahead and everything left to live for? I don’t understand. Root is meant for damaged souls who want to go on living, or experience some reasonable facsimile thereof. It’s an upgrade for folks like me and Bern and … Luther. You and Karla? I just don’t see the attraction.”

“It’s the Weaving,” said Bern. “The magic. That’s not something you get much of on the other side.”

“But James can weave in both worlds, if I understand that right. I heard he can parquet floors into timber monsters.”

“Who told you that?”

Lille cocked her head at me and smiled. “A little bird. Before Penult attacked, while you were still in prison, Karla used to come by fairly often. She used to roam the tunnels checking every pod for Isobel. She would stay with us up top, until she faded back.”

“She came back just the other day,” I said. “Before she disappeared. Did you happen to see her?”

Bern and Lille looked at each other and shook their heads.

“No,” said Lille. “She probably doesn’t know we’ve retreated below the surface, dear. We didn’t exactly leave any forwarding address. I’m surprised you found us.”

“Thanks to Kitt,” I said.

A man and a dog came appeared on the lane that led from the denser part of the settlement and approached the picket fence.

The man waved. Bern waved back. The man removed a loose picket and they slipped through the gap, trampling the roots Bern had attempted to transform, which now lay flat against the dense mat that formed the base and walls of the bubble.

The German shepherd had a stiff and jerky gait. He was clearly one of Luther’s automatons.

“Be on your best behavior, Bern,” said Lille. “Remember, this one is sensitive.”

“I’ll give him sensitive.”

“No Bern. You don’t want to get on Luther’s bad side again.”

“Who is this guy?” I whispered.

“He’s a member of Luther’s war council,” said Lille.

“Luther has an army now?”

“A squad of thugs is a more apt description. They pose no threat to Penult, I assure you that.”

“Hello!” said the man. “Mind if I join you?” He was neatly groomed. He wore a cardigan over a plaid shirt, and olive green cargo pants with pockets on the knees.

“So long as you take care not to trample my zinnias, thank you.”

“Zinnias?” He looked down at the matted roots under his feet.

“Never mind Bern. Those zinnias are merely wishful thinking on his part.”

The man and his dog came to the table. The dog stared at me. Its eyes looked dead, yet it panted and wagged like a real dog. I crouched down and scratched him behind his ears. “Does this one talk?”

“Only in emergencies,” said the man. “Mr. Luther has taken to keeping them muted. Some of the community found their speech capabilities a little off-putting.”

“Count me among them,” said Bern.

Lille gave up her chair and went inside to fetch another. “Care for some tea, councilor?”

“No, thank you,” he said. “I’m actually here to see Mr. Moody.”

Lille paused. “Oh?”

“Hello, I’m Alec Meredith,” he said, extending his hand for me to shake. “I’ve heard a lot about you. Mr. Luther is requesting the honor of your presence in his war chamber.”

“Honor?”

“I’m afraid it’s urgent that you accompany me to the war chamber.”

“You’d best go, James,” said Lille. “We don’t want Master Luther to throw another tantrum.”

“Patience is not the man’s best attribute,” agreed Bern.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.6K 1.4K 38
"I no longer want you." Emperor Richard de Tristaine fumed as he looked upon the woman he was ready to abandon just a few weeks ago. "You don't mea...
45.2K 69 10
Adult content 🔞⚠️ , smut...😍 read ur own rick ❌‼️
47.7K 3.6K 48
In their previous life, taehyung had been overweight. His face was covered in acne. Yet jungkook still forcefully ate him up. Exactly how much did h...
1.4M 59.4K 95
!!ORIGINAL STORY!! Chae-hee, a Korean woman that escaped her past pains by moving to America. Enjoying her life working hard in a cafe, if she wasn't...