Chapter 44: The Interrogation

Olivier helped me lug the dusty saddle up the stairs to the upper terrace. We found the rim promenade bustling with a contingent of Frelsian defenders fresh from the side valley they had abandoned to the Cherubim. A heavily-scarred Reaper, its wounds still weeping, lumbered along beside them, guided by handlers wielding multiple tethers.

“I’m almost afraid to ask … what do they plan to feed that thing up here?”

“No shortage of Cherubs down below,” said Olivier.

I shuddered at the thought. We were standing at the base of the steep, cobbled lane that separated the warren from the more heavily damaged eastern sector of New Axum.

“How about we meet up on the main plaza after your lesson?” said Olivier. “Got some shit I need to do. Get a new staff for one thing. He held up the shattered stub he was still hanging onto.

We shook hands and he disappeared into the warren. I trudged up the hill and found Urszula waiting in the upper meadow with Lalibela while Tigger buzzed about overhead. Another bunch of Frelsians were digging wide trenches in the turf.

“Those look awful big for fox holes.”

“They are for Reaper pens,” said Urszula, wrinkling her nose in distaste.

“Wow. That’s gonna really stink up the place.”

“Those beasts were not allowed up here before, but now we have no choice. The western valley is no more ours.”

I watched as Tigger zoomed back and forth over head, diving down to buzz some workers repairing a rooftop, veering away abruptly at the last second.

“If he flies like that with me on him, I’m gonna have a hard time staying in the saddle.”

“That is why we train,” she said. “But … small problem.” She rolled her eyes. “I cannot get him to come down.”

“I thought you were the dragonfly whisperer.”

She shrugged. “Young bugs. They not listen so well sometimes. They no behave.”

“Okay. So what the hell do we do?” I plunked the saddle down onto the grass and used it as a stool.

“We have some time. We sit and wait. He likes to be near Lalibela. Eventually he will land. Worse comes to worse….”

“What?”

“You ride with me.” She smirked.

Tigger to cruise overhead, challenging any mantis or beetle that entered his air space, perfectly happy to remain aloft, as if he knew there was a saddle and a hundred fifty pounds of clumsy rider waiting for him on the ground.

Below the meadow, the main plaza brimmed with Dusters and Frelsians organizing battle groups, accumulating stores, getting all kinds of things done. As we watched, a procession made its way up the central lane. A dozen or so Dusters bearing slings had carried the cracker column up from the grotto.

“Why’d they bring it here?”

“The terrace is under threat,” said Urszula. “Too many attacks come now from Cherub. We don’t want them to take it back, no?

A mob had formed near the main council chambers. A group of Dusters came out of the building bearing Victoria’s litter. Several frantic and shouting Frelsians. Soldiers rushed to the scene.

“What the hell? Where are they taking her? Is that Yaqob?”

Yaqob and several Old Ones led the way down to the plaza. His guard shoved aside any Frelsian who attempted to bar their way.