Chapter 5: Zhang

“What’s wrong?” said Karla, reading the panic on my face. Before I could get out a word, her hand beat me to the knife and she burst to her feet, almost knocking over the table, brandishing the dull blade.

“Easy, easy!” Wendell opened his coat to reveal an ugly, blocky looking weapon—a high tech cross between an assault rifle and a machine pistol. “Sit down, both of you.”

The lady with the Chihuahua grabbed her dog and beat a hasty exit into the lobby.

“Didn’t think guns were your style, Wendell.”

“I carry them for deterrence. Listen. I’m not here to hurt anybody … so take it easy. I just want to have a chat with you all.”

“I ain’t ever gonna work for you, Wendell. Can’t you take a hint?”

“This isn’t about me. My offer’s off the table. I’m here as a favor for a friend. He’s not looking for Facilitators. He’s looking for soldiers. His name is Zhang. Ring a bell?”

My face remained blank.

“He’s the current head honcho of Frelsi.”

“What does he want with me?”

“They need you. They’re under attack and getting hit hard.”

“Why the fuck would I want to help Frelsi?”

“It’s not just them getting whacked. It’s everybody. Your friends, the Dusters? All surface dwellers.”

“Who’s attacking them?”

“Penult. Cherubim mostly. Under the supervision of Hashmallim and Seraphim.”

“Cherubim?”

“It’s not what you think. They’re not babies with wings. They’re a bunch of cold-blooded, soul-less warriors.”

“Why are they attacking?”

“Who knows? Righteousness? Jealousy? Pick a motivation. The first wave hit hard. The alliance held them off but they’re regrouping for another attack. Zhang's already lost Victoria and a couple unit commanders. I’ve been tasked with rounding up every master Weaver I can find.”

“Why me? Why don’t you go?”

He slitted his eyes at me. “Kid. I’m not in your league. Not even close.”

“Really?”

“Really. That was a neat trick you played on me over in Hanover. Turning the tables. Trapping me inside that tree. You almost had me.”

“That wasn’t me. That was Urszula.”

“The little Duster bitch? No way. She had to have help.”

“Nope. It was all her.”

He narrowed his eyes. “I’m sure she had help. But … whatever. The point is … my spell craft is thin soup compared to yours. I’m better off working for them on this side, and they know that. Besides, I’ve never been to the other side. Everything I know about the Liminality is what people tell me. Guess I have too rosy a perspective on life.”

“How’d you end up working for Frelsi?”

“I don’t know.” He shrugged. “Somehow they found out about me when I was just a cat burglar. I had the skills they wanted. So now I’m an independent contractor specializing in Facilitation. I don’t do the whole Hemisoul/Freesoul thing.”

“I’m not sure how I can help. I haven’t made the crossing in months. I’m not even sure I’m capable anymore.” I glanced over at Karla, who was still holding onto that knife. “Did you hear anything about a war?”