The Gifted Hybrid

بواسطة gifted_nerd

BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a... المزيد

Just A Hunch
A Long Bus Route
Camp Spirit
Protection
Powerless
I'm Sorry
First Gift
Your Special
Fast Learner
No Way In
First Attempt
Second Gift
Flashback
Full Moon
Just Try
Its You
Thank You
Book 66
Darkness
Our Secret
The Dream
Believe Me
Bad Manners
Questions
See The Truth
You'll See
Relation
An Idea
Good Poison
Practice Makes Perfect
A Favor
Instinct vs Reflex
Just Talk
Triggered
Settled In
A Leader
Metal Eyes
Feelings
Visions Told Truth
Nervous Is Good
Powerful
Marked
Real Deal
A Choice
Author's Note
Next Book Reveal
ITS TIME!!!
Checking in...
THANK YOU!

A Sign

1.4K 49 5
بواسطة gifted_nerd

Theres something about that certain book that I couldn't quite put my finger on yet. Something good and bad. I suddenly wondered if anyone picked up the book, looked inside and experienced the same things I'm experiencing. I doubt they did, my mind was saying everything that's happening is supposed to happen only for me.

I couldn't sleep. It was 11:01pm right now and I just wasn't sleeping. The room was silent, I could hear Mia's quiet snoring. I looked up at the blank ceiling and nothing appeared. I wasn't expecting anything too, I just wish I could figure out if someone was really trying to tell me something. I closed my eyes tight, my vision going from colors to and expanding blank circle until I opened them again.

Nothing.

I tossed and turned and ended up on my right side for the third time. The window was open just the slightest but the moon was father and the light it gave off wasn't as brilliant as it had been before. That didn't matter to me though. I've always loved the moon no matter how close or far it had been and Mom did too.

Your my moon child Zoe, whenever I see the moon I think of you she used to tell me and I did the same. I thought about her and I always will everytime I see the moon.

I removed the cover from my lower body and pushed myself to the edge of the bed. It made the smallest noise and I looked over at Mia, she didn't move. I stood on my two feet and moved to the window opening it the slightest bit more so I could see the moon. It's light small but just bright enough that I could make out my reflection in the windows mirror.

"Mom please here me. If theres something...anything you want to tell me just please give me a sign or something" I whispered into thin air looking up at the oversize light. My words floated away but I had no idea where they would end up. Would she hear me?

When I looked down into the back yard of the camp, I saw something. Or someone. They were standing on the edge just beyond the woods and the wore all black. I didn't know who it was or what they were doing but then they looked up at me. In the window and I froze. They held a blank expression, no emotion just a regular face that seemed to stare right through my soul. I swallowed.

"Zoe?" I heard Mia say. I turn to her and she's just looking at me with a sleepy face.

"Are you okay?" She asked me.

I open my mouth to answer but then I turn back to the window. I look out into the distance and whoever was standing at the end of the trees, is gone. I turn back to Mia.

"Yeah I'm okay, just couldn't sleep" I tell her and forced a small smile.

"You want me to stay up with you?" she mumbles and I give her a real smile than. No matter what happens, I'll always love her. She'll always be my best friend and I hope she feels the same way about me.

"No, it's okay. I'm going to step out for a bit and let you sleep. Don't worry" I walk to the edge of her bed and she nods.

"Okay" she lays back down and snuggles under the cover. The only thing I can see is her hair.

I head toward the door and turn to her before I step out into the hall way and shut it behind me. It's too quiet and I hate the feel of it, the silence around me ready to capture any noise that threatens to disturb it. So I head silently for the stairs and glide down them. I walk toward the front door and look down the hall to make sure no one is up then I look up at the balcony on the second floor. No one. I unlock the door in the quietest way and step out into the night.

I leave the door open behind me and walk toward the steps. I sit down and wrap my arms around my body. It's not cold but it feels as if the darkness around me is closing in trying to swallow me whole. I look out into the distance at the trees and I see no one. Who could have been out this late? My heart drops as I think about the last accounter I had with a Dhampir. How I managed to fight one off but then I think about why they haven't tried to attack again. I don't want it to happen but its been a while since then and I would've figured they'd try again. But they didn't.

Stupid Dhampirs and their stupid cravings for my blood

Out of the corner of my left eye, I saw movement. Someone walking and heading straight this way, to where I was sitting. I stand up and get ready for an attack as they approach. I didn't know who it was or what they wanted or if it was the same person that was standing outside of my window. All I knew was that I had to do something, if it's a Dhampir than I can't let them hurt me. I was stupid enough to come out so late and now whatever happens, it's my fault.

Then someone else emerged. And another from them. There were three and they were heading right for me. I closed my eyes and tried my best to imagine myself invisible. Anything to get out of here in silence. I tried, and I tried but the more I waited the more I heard the footsteps come closer. I couldn't focus on making my myself disappear. So I opened my eyes and I stood my ground. They were coming and I don't think I'd have enough time to run for it or call someone to help. They might all have knives and I could be drained and going through an infinite death forever never to see my dad again. Dad, I'm sorry.

There was only one light in front of the building and I had to wait for them to step into it so I could see who it was. They seem to have noticed me but they didn't react in the way I thought they would.

"Zoe?" One of them said.

Here they come Zoe. Get ready.

"Zoe its Alex, Xan and James" they stepped into the light and I could see them now. I put my hands down and swallowed. You would've killed your own friends, good going Zo.

"What the hell are you guys doing out here so late?" I yell at them in a whisper.

"We could ask you the same thing, going for a late night stroll?" James asks, then his eyes scan my body, "or were you looking for me?"

I look down at myself. I knew I should've at least grabbed a robe or jacket or something. I fold my arms over my chest. I wore a tank and some shorts that matched and some fluffy slippers.

"No I was not looking for you. What were you guys doing?" I look at Xander and he looks from my chest to my eyes and tilts his head to the side.

"We were just hanging out" he answers.

"Really? At twelve am?" I raise my eyebrows at them.

"Yeah, what were you doing?" Alex chimes in. He looks behind me as if he's expecting someone to appear.

"Nothing just....I couldn't sleep" I said in a low tone.

"Is that so?" James steps closer and I nod.

I look up at him and he just stares down into my eyes.

"What?" I say.

I take a step back. I should leave, I should turn around and head inside the building before I become the next meal on their werewolf list. How could James act like this when he was just flirting with Chelsea this morning?

"Alright stop. Let's go in before someone catches us out here" Xander speaks up.

"Fine" James glides past me and puts an arm around Alex's shoulders. They head into the door. Xander let's out a breath and looks up at me. I force a smile.

He steps closer to me, "come on, I don't trust you being out here alone...ever"

I chuckle, "I'm sure I can handle myself just fine" or can I?

"I bet you can" he smiles and I can see his perfect teeth, "sorry about James, I'll try to keep him and Alex on a leash. I know how they can get sometimes"

Oh I know, "it's okay. And you don't have to apologize for him, he can try me if he wants too but I'm not holding back"

Xander closed the door and locked it. I wait for him to walk up to me before I start walking again.

"And he knows that, I told him your not the girl to play with. And trust me when I say that whatever you do to him, I will not jump in the middle of because he deserves it" we both laugh at his response.

We walked up the stairs and stop at his room. I can hear James and Alex in their room down the hall.

I give Xander a smile before I turn and head to my room but then I feel him grab my hand. I turn to him and his eyes are filled with the most magnificent green and such passion. He could take someone's breath away with one glance. His fingers entwine with mine and the heat that radiates from his sends shock wave through my palm and up my arm. I want to let go but then I don't.

He pulls me to him so that his face is inches away from mine, "are you going to be okay? I mean you know, trying to sleep and all?"

I smile and my head falls for a slight minute, "I'm sure I can manage" I look back up into his eyes. He looks down at my lips then back to my eyes again.

"Zoe..." I can feel the warmth of his breath on my face. His lips are so close to mine yet so far away and this feels so right but so wrong. Why?

I swallow, "Xan-"

"I know" he says in a low voice, "I just- I won't do it" he lets go of my hand but doesn't move his body away from me.

"Not unless you want me too"

I bite my lip and for a second I did. I did want him to kiss me. I wanted to feel his soft lips on mine for as long as I wanted while I ran my fingers through his black hair but I didn't let him.

He smiled and moved away but I grabbed his arm and pulled him to me. I kissed his cheek and look him in the eyes.

"Goodnight Xander" I told him and I left him standing their smiling while I headed to my room. I closed the door behind me, I didn't want him to see the blush that made it's way to my cheeks.

•••••

The next morning Margaret made everyone get up at the same time. Something about all of us meeting someone that's coming to the camp today.

This is the second morning I found Mia's bed empty. After I brushed my teeth, washed my face and dressed myself in a pair of jeans and tshirt, I grabbed some shoes, tied my hair up in a ball and headed out our room door. I started walking down the hall when I heard Mia's voice. I smiled and walked toward the sound.

I walked to Ava and Chelsea's door and put my ear to it, but there was nothing. I walked down father and the next door was Xander's and as I got closer I could hear her voice getting louder. Than I heard his.

I stopped at his door and looked in. My smile faded as I saw them. They were sitting on the floor talking, they had their knees folded and they were really close. Xander whispered something in her ear and she put her hand to his chest and pushed him away. They both started laughing. I don't know why I felt jealous. It's not like he was mine and Mia was nothing but my best friend, so why did it bother me so much that they were just talking and hanging out? Were they?

I knocked on the door that was open. They looked up and I forced a smile.

"What's up?" Mia said, her smile as wide as her head.

"Nothing, I just thought we could get something to eat before class starts" I told her. please say yes please say yes.

"Actually Xander and I are going to talk a little more, he's just telling me some stuff about becoming a werewolf and stuff" she smiled and looked at him. And stuff??

"Okay" I nodded and forced a smile.

"I'll be down in a minute" she waved.

"Hey Zoe" Xander said and I waved before I headed toward the stairs.

I walked toward the cafeteria and went in to grab a seat. I grabbed something to eat and something for Mia but she didn't make it downstairs in time to eat. I knew it, she'd said she'd be right down in a minute and it has passed twenty minutes. So I got rid of her stuff and I left by myself.

I stepped into the classroom and no one else was there just yet. I took my seat and waited. Ava and Madison came in the room behind Will and Grace who couldn't seem to stop laughing. Emily came in shortly after. She noticed me by myself and her mouth widened as she made her way over to my table.

"Hey"

"Hey" I said.

"Where is Mia?" Why is everyone looking for Mia? I thought I was the one getting all the attention, not that it bothers me.

"She's upstairs with Xander still" I sat up in my seat and leaned on the table.

"Really?" Her eyes widen in surprise and she looks toward the door.

"Yeah" my eyebrows furrow in confusion, "why what's up?"

"Nothing, just wanted to see how she was doing. She told me she had a hard time trying to turn again" her eyes went from the door to me.

"What?"

"Yeah, she didn't tell you?" She says and I shake my head no. What friend she is. She never said anything about her not being able to turn. My jealousy subsides a bit, just a bit. Now I know why she's upstairs talking to Xander.

Emily shrugs and stands up out of Mia's seat. She heads toward the table with Grace and Will. Christian and Dylan sat at a table in the middle of the right side of the room, I hadn't even see them come in. The door to the room swung open and hit the wall.

"James stop slamming doors please" Margaret walks in behind him and Alex. Then I see Jake and John but no Xander and Mia. Somethings up, maybe it's because I made her tell me who she really liked but it was just a joke and I had no intentions of hurting her feelings. I had no idea she even liked me like that.

"Alright everyone, Xander and Mia should be down in a second and we'll get started" Marg announces, she looks over at me and sends me a reassuring smile. She calls Jake to her side and she pulls him in the whisper something in his ear.

I had no idea what she said but he looked at me and his eyes widened. I swallowed, what the hell did Margaret tell him and why was he making his way over to my table? My eyes shot to the door and Xander and Mia came in talking. I smiled, hoping she would confess once she sat down but Jake sat in her seat.

"Hey Zoe" his bright blue eyes tore through mine and I couldn't look away. Not until I saw Mia, she looked at me but Xander grabbed her arm and pulled her to sit in the seat next to him. What the hell is happening? What did I do? Xander just tried to kiss me yesterday but now he wants Mia?

A/N: hey readers!

I just wanna say thank you for almost 500 reads! It means alot. Here's another chapter and please vote by clicking the star at the bottom of the page. I love you guys!

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

1.1M 30.4K 33
A secret hybrid. A charming Alpha. Mates. What could go wrong? ************************************** Brooklyn Jones is a hybrid. Her mother was the...
Venus بواسطة Sid ;)

المستذئب

217 18 11
"You will beg for mercy pup! And when you do I'll ensure it is not granted!" His gold eyes flashed at me. "Mercy is for the weak." My canines extend...
2.1K 143 17
Zoe Sawyer lived her entire life in Mystic Falls well from what she remembers that is. Zoe was adopted out of New Orleans and didn't even know about...
The Underworlds بواسطة Rhean.Therese

الخيال (فانتازيا)

26.8K 864 41
Welcome to the universe of The Underworlds! Meet Amelia Ray, a troubled 16 year old trying to make it through life on her own. She has been bouncing...