To Be Different; Part One

By BeautifulWriter224

Cassie Rosen is a 15 year old girl whose best friend, Ari Simmons, had committed suicide only a month ago due... More

To Be Different; Prologue
To Be Different; Chapter 1
To Be Different; Chapter 2
To Be Different; Chapter 3
To Be Different; Chapter 4
To Be Different; Chapter 5
To Be Different; Chapter 6
To Be Different; Chapter 7
To Be Different; Chapter 8
To Be Different; Chapter 10
Author's Note

To Be Different; Chapter 9

95 2 1
By BeautifulWriter224

Chapter 9

I felt like I had just come out of a trance. Not sure what was going on, not entirely sure where I was; until I saw Kory standing there, watching me. His eyes, like Ari's were filled with interest and wondering. He catches my blue eyes, smiles a small smile and then frowns. He walks towards me and when he's close he stops, as if he's expecting me to run away and maybe I will, but I don't.

He reaches out for me, his hand open waiting for me to place mine in his, like Ari had wanted me to do but I couldn't. I hesitate, thinking about whether or not I should take his hand but instead of listening to my brain which was telling me no, I listened to my heart and was allowing myself to trust him.

I placed my hand in his and something inside me came together, something so strong I felt weak and once more I was reliving my memories again.

~

I walked to the front of the school, wondering where Ari was. He hadn't met me in front of my house like he usually did, but it made sense though. I had gotten into a fight with him and we hadn't made up. The past couple of nights I had looked from my window into his but he was never there. Sometimes though, when the window shades were closed and there was a light in his room, I'd see his silhouette at his desk, writing.

The air was cold, sending a cool breeze back and forth which passed my hair and allowed it to flow around me. Today I was going to say sorry to him, today I was going to make it all up to him. Today was the day that everything was going to change.

Almost to the school, I looked at my watch. It read seven 'o' clock. School doesn't start til seven forty-five but Ari and I always came before everyone else, to give us time to catch up and talk without being bothered.

The school insight I walked towards the back, where Ari and I had a secret meeting spot we found when we were freshmen. It was hidden behind the trees, but in view of the school and still on the grounds so we couldn't be in trouble for being off of them. Hearing a rustle of the leaves, I knew Ari was there.

I put a smile on my face and ran to our spot, hoping he'd be there, hoping he'd accept my apology. I called out, "Ari!" there was no answer. "Ari you there?" another rustle of the leaves. "Ari! Come out! I'm sorry!"

Still no answer, I kept running and finally there, I saw nothing. I sighed in frustration and yelled in anger. "Damn it, Ari." I sat below the tree, hearing the rustle of the leaves again, I reached for my bag and searched through it, trying to find my phone to text him, retrieving it, I sent Ari a text.

Where are you? Was what I sent him, seeing the little box say "message sent" made me feel a little bit better until I heard my ring tone. Back when we first got our phones, Ari and I had gotten them at the same time, we chose our ring tone. They'd been the same since middle school, never changing because it was our song.

Belle of the Boulevard started to play but I couldn't find the source. The sound was neither far or near, close to me or away so I started to listen for it, as I walked aimlessly around the area, finally coming to a stop.

The song ended and I looked up, there he was. Hanging there, clothes pressed and cleaned almost as if he wanted to look nice for the day of his death. I clenched my fist and felt the tears come to my eyes as I realized the mistake Ari had made. My legs buckled and I fell to my knees crying.

I wanted to scream and ask Ari why he did it, but it's not like he'd answer. The tree he was hung by was the weeping willow; the tree Ari loved the most. The noose that had him by the neck was made up of a blanket, one that was familiar to me and I realized that it was the one I had given him for his tenth Christmas.

Something inside of me broke, not once, not twice, but a million times over. Maybe it was my heart, maybe it was my soul or maybe it was my hope that things were finally going to be okay between us. I sat there, not realizing that people were coming to the school and instead of going to the teachers inside, so they could deal with it, I called Ari's parents and then the police.

I didn't know how I was going to explain to them what Ari had done, I just told them they needed to come here, that he needed them. By the time both calls ended, I reached up and touched Ari's hand, which was so cold and lifeless but what was there, surprised me.

A letter addressed to me, instead of reading it, I placed it into my pocket, wondering if I should read it now or later, or even rip it up into a million pieces. I could hear the police cars coming to the school; I could the Simmons calling out my names.

"Cass! Ari!" they call out. "Where are you?"

I'm tempted to run to them and bring them to where Ari was, but instead I call out so softly, "I'm here! We're here!" The tears well up in my eyes and then they begin to flow, endlessly almost as if they were a river or a waterfall. They don't stop, they can't and when Ari's parents and the officers were them finally find us, my eyes are red and they sting.

"Cassandra Rosen?" one of the officer asked me. He was a male, tall and dark, his blue suit fitted him well and his badge shined from the sunlight hitting it.

"Yes," I whisper.

"What happened here?" he asks me, he puts his hand out and pulls me up.

"I don't know," I feel so out of it. The tears are still there, flowing like there was no tomorrow and I realize that Mrs. Simmons is crying too. Crying for another son she lost, but Mr. Simmons was standing there, looking up at his son, dangling from the make shift noose.

"Ms. Rosen", the other officer, a female looks at me. "Do you know why this happened?"

I shake my head no, but it's a lie. I know why it happened but I couldn't say, I wouldn't say. Not until after everyone hears what happened, not until all of this passes. "No, I'm sorry."

She nods at me and gives me a reassuring smile then looks away and speaks into her walkie-talkie in some kind of police code, probably asking more police to come and investigate what had happened.

~

I sat there at my desk, looking at the note in one hand and the necklace in the other. I had unclasped the necklace and took it off, which I hadn't done, ever since Ari had given it to me the day he returned home from New York.

The note was more of a letter, I was guessing. It felt heavier to be only one piece of paper, but then again everything now seemed heavier. My confused thoughts, my feelings, everything. Mrs. Simmons had stopped by earlier, in tears without Mr. Simmons by her side. I was guessing that he had left town and gone to some local bar to drink and figure out his next move.

Mrs. Simmons had come to my house and handed me a book, something I had seen once or twice in Ari's room not only a few weeks before. She told me written in the front was dedication of some sort, it read: If found please give to Cassandra Rosen; my best friend forever and always.

She told me she hadn't read it, felt wrong if she did. When she gave me the journal, she also gave me Ari's bracelet, the one that he had worn since his brother's death. There was this one time he told me a story about it, the story doesn't come to mind now but it'll come. His stories always do. 

I had taken the journal from her and rushed up the stairs to read it, but didn't. Not yet anyway. So here, I was sitting there, a journal in front of me, a letter in my hand and a necklace in the other. Not entirely sure what to do with any of them, I took the necklace and read the inscription once more.

Forever my friend. I love you. That's what was inscribed on the back and I wonder if he loved me so much, why did he leave me to think about his death, alone. I slipped the necklace back on and touched it with my hand, remembering the moment he had given it to me.

 I reached for the note and opened it slowly, reading the words carefully.

 Cassandra,

Over the summer I had wrote these poems and I thought of you as I wrote them. The poems written here may fill you in on why I did this. Why I killed myself. I know you'll hate me for doing it, taking away my life because I know taking my life away is like taking yours and I'm sorry but I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't pretend that I was okay and I knew that you were here to talk to but I couldn't hurt you anymore.

I didn't deserve you as a friend, I didn't deserve anyone. You were the best, someone I could go to when I needed help and I guess I took that for granted and I feel so bad. I loved you, you were like a sister to me and I know you wish it was more. I tried so hard to try to make that happen but I couldn't. Just think about it, how could a boy like me not love a girl like you?

I guess we were different, but you accepted me anyway. Thank you for being my friend, thank you for loving me and thank you for being my safety net but now you're free of a burden.

 Forever and Never

There are words that people say

That they don't always mean

Like the words forever and never

Because words aren't as they seem

People who say forever don't know the meaning

Forever means the end of time

And forever is just a word

That's just a lie in disguise 

As is never

A word that people use

They say, "I'll never do this"

But in truth they always do

I could no longer stay here

I no longer believed

I used to look forward to forever

But now I guess I can't

Being who I am

I'll never

Be like the others

Because forever I know what I am

And what I am is a sin

Nothing More

I look at myself

Holding a mirror in my hand

Looking at my reflection

And wonder who I am

There's something I've never told anyone

Something no one should know

I know what it's like to be afraid

I know what it's like to be alone

There's someone staring at me

Their eyes filled with pain

They look like they're dying

And I can tell that it's me

I'm dying inside

Every time I look into the mirror

I see my face and know I'm a disgrace

To those around me

So I have to end this

End this all

Go away

So nothing falls

Out of place

That's where I am

I'm nothing more

And that's what I'll be

Until it's time for me to say

Goodbye

A Smile

When someone smiles

You never know

What's behind that smile

Because a smile is a mask

A lot of people think

Smiles are a sign of happiness

But sometimes they can't be

Because smiles represent so much more

A smile is a mask

Something a person hides behind

A smile is a façade

An act, a lie

A smile is what someone does

When they are not only happy

But in pain

And in sorrow

People use a smile all the time

To keep things hidden

From those around them

They use it as an excuse

They take advantage of it

The abuse it

And they use it over and over again

But it never gets old

A smile is forever

And never

Smiles are true

And are lies

Smiles can be happiness

But my smile is the disguise

Of pain

She Is...

She's the one I go to

Someone I could talk to

She's the girl I lean on

The one who is my shoulder to cry on

She's everything to me

She helps me up when I fall

She's there to pick up the pieces

No matter how small

She's like a pocketful of sunshine

Smiling like there's no tomorrow

Giving me a reason to be happy

Giving me a reason to live

She's the reason why I laughed

The reason why I stayed

She's the reason why I did this 

To make all the bad things go away

She loved me for who I was

She loved me for I am

She loved me after everything

She's what kept me up to stand

She stood by my side

Every day since we were small

She's like the wind

Strong and fierce

But calm and soothing to all

She's like a lullaby

Something sweet and something soft

She's the one thing I had

The one thing I could keep

The one thing I could love

The one thing I could hold

The one thing I took for granted

She was my safety net

She was what caught me when I fell

She was what kept alive in this living Hell

She was my safety net

Something to keep me going

The thing is though

Safety nets break

And I broke this

I broke her

And I broke myself

She was all I had

And now I'm gone

So now it's over

And now she can move on

 ~

Putting down the last poem, I feel the tears come back. They aren't for sorrow though, they are for my anger and my stupidity. I cry for the longest time, my thoughts an incomplete puzzle. The poems are heartbreaking but they seem so full of truth. Is that what I was to him? A safety net? Am I reason the reason why he killed himself? So I no longer needed a burden. Inside I feel so guilty, inside I feel so alone. I wonder if I should give the poems to his mother, let her read them but something tells me don't.

I look at myself in the mirror, the day washing over me and the tears flowing like a waterfall. And in my eyes I saw something, probably the truth of it all; This wasn't the end, it was only the beginning of something more.  

Written by Christina aka BeautifulWriter224

©

Copyright November 9, 2010

All Rights Reserved.

Continue Reading