Forest of Secrets; A Pokemon...

By FadingSpectrum

Once upon a time, there was a forgotten Champion Pokemon trainer, hidden away in a mansion somewhere off of N... More

Chapter 1, Part 1
Chapter 1 Part 2
Chapter 1 Part 3
Chapter 1, Part 4
Chapter 1, Part 5
Chapter 1, Part 6
Chapter 1, Part 7
Chapter 1, Part 8
Chapter 1 Part 9
Chapter 1, Part 10
Chapter 2, Part 1
Chapter 2, Part 2
Chapter 2, Part 3
Chapter 2, Part 4
Chapter 2, Part 5
Chapter 2, Part 6
Chapter 2, Part 7
Chapter 2, Part 8
Chapter 2, Part 9
Chapter 2, Part 10
Chapter 3, Part 1
Chapter 3, Part 2
Chapter 3, Part 3
Chapter 3, Part 4
Chapter 3, Part 5
Chapter 3, Part 6
Chapter 3, Part 7
Chapter 3, Part 8
Chapter 3, Part 9
Chapter 3, Part 10
Chapter 4 Part 1
Chapter 4 Part 2
Chapter 4, Part 3
Chapter 4, Part 4
Chapter 4, Part 5
Chapter 4, Part 6
Chapter 4, Part 7

Chapter 4, Part 8

164 8 6
By FadingSpectrum

Psycho

Sparkle and I support Dasher as we walk through the narrow passage, Montolio trotting up ahead of us. For a while we all stay pretty quiet. It takes a minute before Montolio bothers to look back at us and say anything.
"So," he says, scraping a claw on the floor measuredly, "what is it you shall do now that you are free?"
Sparkle looks slightly surprised at Montolio's question. "Go home. What else would we do?" She sighs, sending an eerie echo across the passageway. "I don't mean to be rude, but this place doesn't sit well with me."
In the dimness of the cave, I almost swear I see Montolio give a rueful smile. "I am afraid it will not work out the way you wish, for several reasons. The first is that no one here has any idea where you live, and I suspect you do not know the way back yourself. The second, is that Peaseblossom simply will not allow you outside the Hidden Woods for the next few days."
I shift my grip on Dasher, limping along pitifully. "Why won't he? That guy's rather the sourpuss, isn't he?"
Montolio bobs his head in limited agreement. "Sure, the Chancellor is dour at times, but not entirely without reason. Until the Darkened Days end, it is simply not safe to let you wander outside the safety of the Hidden Woods." He pauses, without uncertainty. "Not that Peaseblossom want to keep you three safe. Tell me, does your assertive brother make it his habit to create enemies, or is he just not in the mood to play nice?"
I almost drop Dasher in shock when he lifts his head up a little and speaks. "People seem to naturally dislike me for whatever reason. I just go with it." A couple small sparks flicker over his features before he goes limp again.
"Yet since you choose to "just go with it", you say," Montolio snorts dryly, "most of the Grass types ought hate you. They follow Peaseblossom with utter devotion. And, the Bugs already are suspicious of you for bringing a Grass type."
"Eek!" Sparkle squeals, jostling Dasher and getting a pretty sharp look in return. "I had almost forgotten about Lotus! Is he alright?"
Montolio taps his claws impatiently. "One thing at a time. We can get to your "relative" later." He flicks his tail as if to shake off a nervousness that creeps into his demeanor. "It is obvious to me that the three of you are pretty inexperienced at battling. Considering how many Pokemon are already against you, and that you shall not be able to leave until three days hence, you could be at the mercy of any of the more ruthless in the Woods."
"Isn't this place supposed to be safe?" I point out.
The Absol shakes his head forlornly. "To us. Not outsiders. And even for us, the long-running feud can take away safety in an instant." He paces up ahead, before returning to us and our careful pace. "That is why I am offering to teach you how to battle. You need skills more than most here, or you will be at the mercy of most here."

Sparkle and I share a look. There is no way any of us, especially Dasher, want to battle. I hate hurting others, and I hate getting hurt. Yet, how much other choice is there, assuming all of us want to get out alive? Not much. On the bright side, it will be nice to finally have Spark off our back for refusing to battle when we finally come home.
Both Sparkle and I nod. Dasher gives a feeble flop of his head that I hope is a nod, and rivulets of electricity run down him.
Montolio smiles back at us. "Good. With hope, you will not be utterly useless when I am through with you."

"This guy is nuts," Dasher hisses softly through clenched teeth, "like everyone else on this planet!"
Perhaps that wasn't a nod after all.
The passageway begins to branch out, and we follow Montolio through the maze-like tunnels. It is not as if we have any idea of where to go in this darkness ourselves. Eventually, a thin layer of light filters through the murk of the cave.
An exit to the caves appears after the next turn. Two Ferrothorn guard it. It's hard to tell one of them from another, but I think these ones aren't Nattorei and Noacier. I let a sigh of relief. Those two were rather gruff with Dasher, not that I can blame them.

Montolio talks with the guards shortly. Afterward, they nod and scoot aside. Both Ferrothorn give us three strange looks as we pass through. The waterfall splatters us as we walk through, but I don't really care anymore.
The sky above is dusky rose in the evening light, showing omen of the impending nightfall. Tension clenches Montolio's jaw as he glances to the skyline and shakes water off his coat.
He turns to face us. "We must hurry to the infirmary, so you two can get the treatment for Darkening. I hope you do not mind staying up all night, since that is the only way to keep you out of Lord Moon's grip."
"But what about Dark Void?" I ask. "Won't he make an in-person appearance and steal us away anyway?"
The Battlemaster shakes his head and motions with his tail for us to follow. We continue through the forest after him, leaving the roaring waterfall behind.
"I am afraid Lord Moon will be too occupied with the Pokemon of your Mansion to bother out here for just two. Three, if we include your green relative." Sparkle sniffles a little to herself here, for whatever reason. "Your friends back at your home will have much to deal with tonight. See, Lord Moon returns his charges for a few hours at evening light, before he takes them again. On the eve of the third day, he takes the most of all."
I shiver at the thought of everyone back home freaking out because of more taken, right after they think they have most everyone back. It is going to be be a rough night for them.

It will be a rough night for everyone, I know.

Rascal

Time passed quickly as soon as I had my idea. Within the afternoon, everyone in the mansion, including all the Obscures (and not including Spark and Twirla), had been rounded up in the living room's ruin.
Joy-joy had finally come-to, insisting that she felt fine all the while. It is debatable whether she really is "just fine" or not, but Golly and I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt for the now. "The now" being until she collapses on us.

"Rascal, how is this going to do us any good?" Joy whispers nervously to me, taking role call yet again of the many Pokemon gathered in the living room. It is quiet to a surprising degree.
I scratch my beard, weighing my words. "Simple. Darkrai can take us on easily if we are scattered, one-on-one as he must have done to Dasher last night. If everyone is awake in the same place, ready to support each other when the time to fight him comes, he'll fall. Not even a legendary can withstand such odds against a group of determined Pokemon. If this weren't a survival situation, I'd have the mind to call it a dirty trick and insist we not try it."
She checks another name off of the list. "Nova, here. But is everyone going to fight?" Biting her lip nervously, Joy's eyes wandering the crowd of nervous Pokemon. Some look excited for the impending battle, and others just look dead-scared. "The less-experienced might flee, cause a panic, or get in the way..." she points out.
"Well," I sigh, "if it works, we should at least take out this Full Moon, and maybe even liberate the Possessed. More importantly, do you have any other bright ideas?"
Joy shakes her head and scratches off another name. "No."
I nod briskly. If there isn't anything else reasonable enough anyone can volunteer, then there is little other choice but go with my plan. With hope, we can keep that Dialga-be-darned Darkrai from taking more innocents.
At my own rambling pace, I make way through the crowd. Most make room for me to pass through. There are a plethora of notable expressions on the other Pokemon's faces at my passing; respect, adoration, envy, annoyance, dismissal. There are even a few outright ignoring me. No such thing as a bad Pokemon, forgetting Full Moon, but there is no such thing as a perfect Pokemon either.
When I have passed perhaps halfway through everyone gathering around the room, a loud knock jostles me out of my pensive mood.

"Psst," the basement door hisses, "Rascal! I see you there!"
"Oh, Spark, how delightful that you choose now to abuse your strange ability to see through walls," I scold gently as I scoot in to the door. "Have you and Twirla finally stopped bickering?"

There is dissentive muttering from behind the door, and I get the simultaneous answers "Sure, I suppose," and "Yes, yes, YES already!" from Twirla and Spark respectively.
"That does not sound very convincing," I observe to them both.
Something hits the door, but does not knock it down. It seems that Spark has a measure of self-control left after all. "Come on. We've been waiting so long, and I've gotten kinda bored." With a soft growl, Spark makes her final point. "And, uh, we both came to the conclusion that neither's heartbreak and pain hurts more than the other's. Not that being encased in ice with each other influenced that decision," she finishes dryly.
Twirla thinly pipes in her own agreement. "I don't want to fight Spark again. Or get frozen, I would say."

"It still doesn't sound completely sincere," I admonish, "but I would rather have the two of you with me when we next have to face this Darkrai." To Spark's obnoxious cheers, I flip the lock and ease open the door.
Chaos instantly ensues, as is usual of late. "FREEDOM!" Spark roars as she leaps through the open doorway and inevitably knocks me to the floor. With no large measure of sincerity, she squeaks out a "Sorry Rascal!" and tears through the crowd towards Joy. Joy herself appears to be mildly surprised, and starts chatting with Spark. What is more shocking, is that I had the idea that this would happen beforehand.

With much more dignity, Twirla sweeps in through the basement door. "Good to be out," she quips with a slight and recognizable smile on her face. It is similar to the way Dasher looks when he is put-out. One could almost believe the two were really related for a moment.
For that same moment, the two of us stand in silence, and amusement at Spark's ways. I swear by Mew, if she ever changed everyone would be off of their toes and bored fast. Why-
"A-hem." A very small voice rises up to my side. "Rascal."
I turn to see the source; Golly. The Gothitelle tugs nervously at my wing and gives a pointed look at both me and Twirla. "Can we talk for a minute? Sure? Alright," she blusters, pulling me aside and motioning for Twirla to follow. Golly guides us to the broken window - which is starting to make the room uncomfortably cool, what with the sun setting - and gives a twitchy glance outside.
"Golly, just tell us what is wrong here," Twirla whispers into the evening air.
Shivering a little, Golly bites her lip. The words fall out of her mouth soon after. "Alright, I'm sorry, but this is starting to freak me out." She peeks back outside. "Look, I was standing here, watching for that Darkrai, and I swear I saw a Gallade creeping in the forest. I put it off as nervous paranoia for a bit, until I caught glimpse of Gli in the trees. It scared me half to death, and I thought maybe we were being invaded or something." That said, Golly shivers again and glides away from the window.

Both Twirla and I proceed to scan the backyard and surrounding trees for movement. Everything is still to point of suspicion. Not even the wind stirs. Chills run up my spine simply thinking about what may be going on, unbeknownst to us.
After scanning thoroughly, Twirla looks back at Golly. "Nothing. I see nothing. Are you sure this isn't overreaction? It is very common when stress levels are high in any individual subject," she says softly, wringing her hands just slightly. "Stress levels" indeed. I certain know that Twirla has high "stress levels" herself.
Golly shakes her head. "I am positive something is happening. It's a gut feeling, you know?"
I sigh and stroke my beard as both argue quietly back and forth in the issue. A breeze blows from the window, prompting me to turn back to the yard. My heart nearly bursts in my chest as a shadow appears on the lawn where it was empty not seconds before.
Slowly, every-so slowly, the patch of darkness rises from the grass and assumes the form of Darkrai. In all my long life, I have not yet seen one so near. Blue eyes stare at me, as hollow and emotionless as those of the Possessed.
Twirla and Golly must have seen my shock, as both come over and shake me just a little. Both also freeze before they get a word out and as they glance over the windowsill.
Golly whimpers and clings to me. "Oh my Giratina, kill me now. That's Full Moon, isn't it?"
Others near the windows start realizing what has just materialized outside. Some Pokemon scream, and others still stand frozen in place. I note Joy and Spark come to stand by me.
"What does he want now?" Spark mutters in a low growl.
Trembling, Golly squeaks out, "To Possess the rest of us, perhaps?"
"Anything is possible," I whisper back.

Full Moon turns a sharp glare to the broken window, making no sound as he does. He waves a hand airily to the forest. Several Pokemon creep and fly out, all of them Possessed abducted earlier by him.
One steps forward from the others. As they step out from the shadows if the trees, they resolve to be Roku. At my side, I can feel Spark clench up and bristle in indignant anger. She must still be upset over Full Moon taking him under our nose. Spark has never been fond of sneaky tricks.

Roku strides up to the mansion with complete confidence. He stops a few feet from our window, staring from Joy, to me, to Golly and Twirla, then lastly to Spark.
"You... cannot stop me," he says in dry monotone more akin to wind on the leaves than his voice. "My search must... continue... It will." He reaches over and runs a paw down the window sill. Golly presses up against me and shrinks back from the scene.
"But first they rest."
His paw lingers before lifting to gesture at the last rays of sunlight leaving the sky, and the half-moon shedding it's own. "I will be back... As the moon... lifts to the center of they sky. At what you call midnight... I will be back."

The Darkrai lowers his hand ominously. The sun disappears from the treetops as he sinks back into the shadow, and into the forest. At the same moment, all of the Possessed collapse.
Many shriek belatedly at this frightening display. Several of us pour out of the mansion, mostly just Spark dragging Twirla, Joy and I. Golly follows close behind.
I nearly have yet another heart attack as a window with a flowerbox from the top floor slams open. Loppily leaps from it and onto the ground. After recovering from the shock, she bounds over to the limp form of Bright and starts sobbing and shaking him.
While the others gather around the unconscious Possessed, I take tally. Bright. Roku. Gli. Cosmo. Gallant. And- I blink and rub my eyes at the last figure, before it hits me that Gust must have somehow evolved into Drifblim during the day. Not the best way to evolve, I would say.
There is no-one else here. I mentally add up the missing; Sparkle, Dasher, Psycho, and Lotus. I would expect Sparkle to still be lost, but why didn't Full Moon still have Lotus and the other obnoxious ones under control? Was he still "searching" with them, or whatever he said? It could be assumed they annoyed him to horribly even subdued as such, and he cast them away, but then Psycho would have at least found way home. The whole thing looks grim from any perspective.

Lopy and Twirla help Gallant and Bright limp inside the mansion. Both look utterly exhausted, and out of it to boot. Bright and Lopy whisper back and forth as she props him up by the shoulder. On their other side, Twirla supports Gallant. They share a silence that needs no explaining.
I step in to walk beside them. Gallant turns slightly to look at me. "Where," he coughs out, "where are the kids? Twirla said the boys were taken, and that Sparkle followed them. Why aren't they here?"
"I wouldn't know," I sigh. "They just aren't here. It can't be pretty."
Tears roll down Twirla's cheeks. "You don't think they could be... Dead? None of them were strong in the first place. That Darkrai could have very well pushed them past their limit." She shudders. "If he did-"
"I don't think he did," Spark spits out from behind, dragging unconscious Roku in with his tail in her mouth. "If Full Moon did kill them, who would Arceus send to make my life miserable? Nah, they have to be alive."
"Just because you are out to get them doesn't mean the universe kept them alive for you to torture later on!" Twirla snaps back at her. With no explanation, her face softens. "But I'm glad you think they aren't dead."
"What else are sisters fo'," Spark mutters disconsolately.
I open the door for everyone, and we troop in. Joy-joy carries Gli and Cosmo in. Both are too tired to fly, and rest in her arms. Gli repeatedly insists he had a nightmare about chasing Sparkle. The little Staravia just quivers uncontrollably.
Lastly, Gust drifts in. He still seems alright, at least to the extent of floating unaided.
Everyone is going about in a state of panic, running about and asking questions. Most seem to be centered on three things; why not everyone was returned, what will happen to those who werereturned, and whether Darkrai will come back.
The noise level is unbearable, and nothing seems to be getting done. By way of calming down the crowd, I clamber onto a cast-aside couch.
"SILENCE!" I yell. My wish is instantly granted as all calm down except for those trying to fix up the Possessed.
"I have about as much idea as you do on what is happening," I tell them. This doesn't seem to make anyone more comfortable. All prick ears at my next sentiment.
"But there is one thing I know; by Mew, we are all in for one heck of a night."

...To be continued in River of Divides.

Thank you guys for sticking with me here! This is the first writing project I have ever actually finished, and I am pleased to say that it will continue in the next installment, River of Divides. For the moment, I am going to wait to come out with that until I have written down enough of it's beginning, have caught up on my schoolwork, and polished up Forest of Secrets. You might have even noticed that I already redid the battle scene with Possessed Bright. I looked back at it, and realized just how much I have improved over the months. So, feel free to comment, and thanks again!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.8K 102 12
All rights goes to Micheal Bay and the Producers of Transformers A Cross Ange fan-fiction story No harem and lemon
23.4K 408 8
Hate...It drives people to do things they should never do. As for me it was all I knew being abused, neglected, and alone. I never hated anyone for a...
1.1M 48.5K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
35K 1K 33
Arthur, our resident Earthian suddenly gets reincarnated in Overlord's Earth 2138 1 year after the release of Yggdrassil the best VRMMORPG. Knowing t...