The Gifted Hybrid

By gifted_nerd

BOOK 1 in The Hybrid Series After the tragic lost of her mom, 17 year-old Zoe Hyland has to deal with being a... More

Just A Hunch
A Long Bus Route
Camp Spirit
Protection
Powerless
I'm Sorry
First Gift
Your Special
Fast Learner
No Way In
First Attempt
Second Gift
Flashback
Just Try
Its You
Thank You
Book 66
A Sign
Darkness
Our Secret
The Dream
Believe Me
Bad Manners
Questions
See The Truth
You'll See
Relation
An Idea
Good Poison
Practice Makes Perfect
A Favor
Instinct vs Reflex
Just Talk
Triggered
Settled In
A Leader
Metal Eyes
Feelings
Visions Told Truth
Nervous Is Good
Powerful
Marked
Real Deal
A Choice
Author's Note
Next Book Reveal
ITS TIME!!!
Checking in...
THANK YOU!

Full Moon

1.9K 57 7
By gifted_nerd

After what happened with Mia in the room with Ava and Madison, Margaret rushed up to see what was going on. I gave her a confused look as to how she managed to find out and her room was all the way downstairs and down the hall.

John had came up to the room also. It was like everywhere Margaret was, there he was following behind them. I wonder if they had a past or if there could be a future for them? Anyway, he had smelled the fire coming from the room. They just wanted to make sure everything was okay. Madison was pretty nervous about getting caught while Ava stood there against the door with her arms folded.

They didn't get in trouble which was good. Marg new they would do this sooner or later.

Mia and I had left after a couple minutes since it was getting late, we wanted to shower and head to bed.

"Come back to our room tomorrow before you guys leave for the....you know" Madison had told us. She was talking about the full moon.

Speaking of full moon, even though I am only half werewolf I am so nervous to head out with everyone tonight. Its Sunday and today the skies going to be clear and the moon will be full.

"I'm so excited for tonight" Mia smile my way and I looked at her. Her eyes were as bright as the lights we walked passed in the hall. We stopped at the door to the cafe and I held it open so she could walk through before me.

Everyone was already in the cafe and we were the last ones. I stopped in the door way and looked around.

"There's an empty table just for us" Mia tells me before grabbing my arm and pulling me toward the line to grab some food.

I wasn't really that hungry but I decided to grab something anyway. Mia on the other hand had her plate filled with two bagels, an apple, some grapes, and some cereal. I bit my lip to hide my smile and turned away.

"Don't talk about my plate please it's the full moon, I swear it"

"I believe you" I chuckled and we headed toward the empty table on the right of the cafe. 

We set down our trays and crawled into the seat.

"Okay, let me get out drinks" I rise out of my seat.

"Actually, I'll get mines-" she starts to get up but I cut her off.

"No it's fine, I'll get it for you. Water right?" I ask and she nods.

I head toward the vending first, slipped the money in and grab the water then I headed toward the coffee table section.

Theres an island near the grab and go area where we got out food. It has coffee and every different type of sugar, milk, and cream. It also has hot water. It baffles me how normal it feels to make my own drink just like I used too and also how they manage to get this stuff here over night while we all slept. I laughed thinking about it, how...human this feels. But I'm not human, I'm a hybrid.

I poured the iced coffee into a cup and grabbed some sugar packets to add in. I went in to grab the cream but it fell to its side and rolled toward the edge of the table until it rolled off the edge. It was about to hit the floor until someone sped up to me and grabbed it. My hair blew into my face as I looked down at the bottle in someone's hands.

My eyes scanned the floor....Black boots, jesus christ, its Jake. Again.

I stood up and swallowed before looking into his face.

"Hey Zoe" he shows his teeth and I can see a hint of his fangs and they look so perfect with his mouth.

"Uh hey Jake" I said and turn back to the island but then I realize he's still holding the cream. I let out a breath and turn back to him. He sits there smiling until he holds out the bottle to give to me.

"Thanks" I look into his eyes and he leans down closer, leaning on the island.

"Sure" he's staring at me I can feel it, "am I going to be doing this often?"

"Doing what?" After adding the cream, I push it back toward the other flavors so it doesn't go rolling again.

"You know...picking things up? Helping you out on a daily basis?" I turn to him and fold my arms.

I take a step closer to him and look up into his blue eyes, he stands up straighter and tilts his head, "do you want too?" I ask in a low voice.

He swallows and his eyes make there way to my lips then back up to my eyes. I unfold my arms and turn back toward the table before he can see the smile playing at my lips.

"I heard what happened with Mia, I'm sure everyone knows by now. It was a good thing you were there" it was his turn to fold his arms and shift his weight to his other foot.

"Yeah I'm glad I was too, thanks. For that" I point to the cream, "and for saving me on the stairs the other day" I lift my cup, grabbed the water and look toward Mia but she was too busy eating still.

"My pleasure" he steps to the side and let's me walk past him after I send him a warm smile.

I get back to the table and I see that Mia has a bottle of water and her plate is mostly empty.

"Um where did you get that?" I point to the bottle.

"You and dhampir boy was hitting it off so I took the advantage to get it myself. I told you I was fine getting it" she shakes her head and grabs a napkin for her hands.

"Okay first, me and Jake were just talking and second I'm sorry I took so long to come back" I sit down in the seat across from her and grab my butter to spread on my raisin bread.

"Its cool" she looks at me and smiles, "what did he say? Did he confess his love?" She places a hand over her heart and bats her lashes.

I roll my eyes and take a bite of my bread, "he said everyone knows about what happened yesterday in Ava's room"

"Oh great" she throws her hands up.

I give her a confused look, when her arm lands on the table she looks down at it and takes her other hand over the spot I healed.

"You have to admit, it was pretty cool. I bet everyone only thought you could only heal yourself and you healed my arm" she holds it up and points at it.

I smile at her and grab a napkin for my hands.  I look around the cafe. Ava and Madison are sitting together in the back. I now realized Margaret and John have their own table next to them. Xander sits with Alex and James and they are playing some type of game with their hands that causes them to make loud noises as John shoots them a glare.

I was shocked to see Chelsea sitting with Grace, Emily, Will, Christian and Dylan. Although Dylan didn't seem like he wanted to be apart of the table and Christian was to busy focused on his food. Jake was nowhere to be found.

I turned back around and grabbed my coffee to take a sip, "its filled with Jake's cream" Mia looked at my drink.

I spit it out all over the table and some on Mia. She burst out laughing while I choked on the rest that made it's way down my throat, or at least tried too.

"What?!" I shout. I look around and everyone was looking at our table.

"It was a joke" she cleaned her arms with a napkin.

"Jesus Mia" I put a hand to my head for a minute.

"Although I wouldn't mind you having kids, imagine what they would be like, since your a hybrid" she looked up at the ceiling in thought.

"I don't want kids" I tell her.

She shrugs and we get up to put our things in the trash. We leave out the same doors we came in.

"Hey Mia, Zoe!" Madison came running up behind us. She had a huge smile on her face.

"Hey" I say.

"Okay, so we came up with this awesome spell to do and I'm super pumped" her face was glowing. I've never seen her so happy, I guess now that she's comfortable with everyone she can be herself.

"O-kay" Mia sent me a sideways glance.

Madison looks from me to Mia and back to me, "you guys don't wanna? Its totally fine"

"No, we do. Where's Ava?" Mia asked her running a hand through her curly brown hair.

"She'll meet us in the room"

Madison starts walking in front of us. She's wearing a plain white tshirt and some gray sweats but the blue of her eyes and the blonde of her hair stands out. She looks great.

"So how come Chelsea is never in the room when you guys do these things?" I ask her. I don't know why I'm asking about Chelsea, it's not like she would ever ask about me.

"She likes to do her own thing most of the time. Ava told me she barely says anything to her when they are in the room together"

"So why didn't you and her share a room?" Mia asked her.

"I don't know but I don't mind being with Emily" she finishes. We reach the top of the stairs and headed for their room.

She opens the door, holding it open for Mia to enter first. I took a step through but she stopped me by putting her arm in the way.

"Zoe I need to tell you something" she has a worried look and she fidgets on her feet.

She looks back at Mia who can't seem to keep her hands off of their things in the room.

"Your mom she-"

She stopped talking and looked at me for a minute or two. My mom? What about her? What did she know?

"She um...I know she visits you sometimes. I see her" she tries to smile but my emotions stay the same.

"Really? How?" I ask

"I can see spirits or ghost or whatever you want to call it. I see her sometimes and other people too but its only for a second and then she disappears" she finishes.

"So...is that a good thing?" I ask her unsure of what to think at this point. I wondered if it was something she really wanted to tell me but she couldn't because I can't communicate with her.

"Yeah I think, I mean she brings good energy when she's around. But don't worry, I'll let you know if something serious comes up okay?"

She looks at me for reassurance. I step closer to her and she flinches, "thank you" I pull her in for a quick hug. She goes still at first but then she lightens up.

"Okay, what's going on?" We broke the hug and Ava came walking up to us.

"Are you ready? Took you long enough" Madison tells her. Ava rolls her eyes and walks into the room, pushing us to the side.

Madison and I head into the room and she shuts the door behind us. Ava clicks on a light but leaves the curtains closed.

"Woah it's like, pitch black in here" Mia speaks moving closer to the lamp.

"Yeah, just the way I like it" Ava flashed her mischievous grin, she sits on the bed.

I'm standing by the door when Madison grabs my arm and pulls me toward the center of the room to sit on the floor again. She grabs Mia's arm and pulls her in the same direction, making her sit in the center of the room also.

"This is supposed to be fun" she makes her way over to Ava and grabs the items she's gathered in her hands.

"Oh it's going to be"

They both join Mia and I in the center of the room and sit down. We all sit across from each other again like yesterday.

"Okay, this is going to be quick. Although I'm not sure its going to work since the full moon isn't out yet" Ava tells us. She places the candles in a circle and the rest of the items in the center of the circle.

"Then why are we doing it then?" I look at Mia and she folds her arms.

"You can bail if you want" Ava tells her. It wasn't in a mean way, she was just letting her know it was her decision.

"No, no ones leaving" Madison tells them.

Ava shrugs and places her hands in the air while she closes her eyes. She does a hand motion in front of us and all the candles light up again just like yesterday.

"Okay so these crystals here" she points to purple one and a pink one that sparkles from the candle lights, "they hold the good energy"

"The names are amethyst and rose quartz" Madison speaks up. Even though she's reading a paper, she doesn't have to look up to know what Ava is talking about.

"Also this, it's called sage" she burns a bunch of miniature trees with a lighter, "this protects us from the bad energy"

"So we're dealing with bad energy?" I ask her, hoping she doesn't spit out her words like she did on Mia.

"Black magic is bad energy, we only do white" she wipes her hands on her pants and holds them out to her side, "sometimes" Ava smiles and closes her eyes.

"Okay, do what shes doing but one of your hands has to go on top of Ava's and the other has to go under mine. Same goes for you" Madison lifts her head at Mia.

We do what she says and close our eyes. We sit there and wait for what felt like forever, no one said anything.

"Ok open your eyes but don't let go" Ava says.

We opened our eyes. Nothing happened though.

"Now Mads try to lift the crystal with your powers" Ava tells Madison, we all look at her.

"I've never done that before, I'm a hand person"

"But you can't let go" Ava sends her a glare.

"Fine" Madison starts to focus on the crystal. Her eyes never leaving the object. She let's out a frustrated breath but then she goes back to trying again.

The crystal starts moving, never in a million years would I ever thought I'd be sitting here with them doing spells.  It still surprises me everyday I wake up how much power we all hold.

"I'm doing it!" Madison says in a shout whisper but Ava shakes her head signaling for her to be quiet.

She lifts the crystal until it's in the air at head level with all of ours. We stay like that for a couple seconds until Ava starts speaking in another language.

I think she's saying something in Greek and my eyes go wide at her. I recognized the language though I had no clue what she was saying.

"Holy shit look" that was Mia. We all look closely at the crystal in the air without letting go. There was a purple light inside, it expanded within seconds to the outer part of the crystal and went still against it.

"Woah" someone said, I didn't know who said it. My eyes were glued to the light.

I felt Ava's hand lifting from mine but thankfully nothing happened.

"What are you doing?" Madison snapped aloud.

"Nothing. I just wanna see-" she stops midsentence and reaches out for the crystal. I've never seen Ava the least bit of scared since I've known her but right now she was hesitant on touching the crystal.

Her hand hovered in the air for a minute, she let out a breath and touched the crystal. The light around the crystal went away so fast, we  all jumped back. Ava placed her hand back in the spot on top of mine.

Silence.

"What did you-" Madison started to shout at Ava.

She stopped when the light in the crystal formed again but this time it came fast making a whoosh! sound, the circle went so big it pushed us back a couple feet. We all went flying is a different direction.

My back hit the door.
Ava hits the bed.
Madison crashed into a chair and Mia hits the wall.

The crystal falls to the floor with a thud.

"Oopsies" Ava had a look of pain on her face as she tried to get up from the floor.

"Oopsies?! What the fucking oopsies was that?!" Madison yells, lifting her body from the floor to fix the chair she knocked into. I bet it was Chelsea's.

"It was hilarious, that's what it was" Mia walks over to help me up off the floor. She had a smile on her face like what just happened didn't even happen.

"See, bright eyes even thinks it was cool" Ava tries to smile, she put a hand on her back and flinched from the pain she felt.

I walked over to her and placed my left hand on her shoulder and my right on her back. The healing took a little time to come to me but it was quick and easy on Ava. My skin heated for a minute over her, she relaxed and let out a breath.

"Thanks" she glances my way. I nod and the heat goes away from my palm.

"You told us not to touch it and you touch it anyway? What was that?!" Madison is still yelling.

"Oh my god" Ava sits her head in her palm for a minute like she's trying to make the headache go away herself.

"Oh my god is right. You could at least warn me next time before you do that" I look at Ava and she just shakes her head and lays back on her bed.

Madison is going to be doing this all night but Mia and I have to go.

"You guys can leave" Ava forces a smile reading my thoughts.

Mia shrugs and grabs my arm rushing toward the door.

We close the door behind us and Ava let's out a frustrating sigh while Madison still goes on about what just happened.

•••••

Mia and I headed back to our room after leaving Ava's. Mia changed her outfit to something more comfortable like shorts and a tshirt while I stuck with the regular jeans and shirt.

We walked down the stairs and saw that all the werewolves, John and Margaret were gathered waiting for us.

"Ok, now that everyone is here" Margaret nodded toward me, "go out, do whatever you have to do. Stretch you fur, go hunt, and have fun...but not to much fun. You guys need to return and John will make sure of that"

Xander, Mia, James and Alex started talking amongst each other. I don't belong here, I don't want to be here. But Margaret wants me to go.

"You okay Zoe?" She walked over to me and stood to my left side.

"Yeah I guess, beside the fact that I'm freaking out a little I mean...this should be fine right?" I fidget on my feet and entwine my fingers.

"Yes, it'll be fine. Trust me once your out there, everything else will come to you" she tells me.

I nod.

"Come on Zoe" Mia rushes to me and pulls at my arm.

We head outside, the guys walking in front of us while John walks behind us all.

"I'm so ready, I can feel my skin crawling already" Mia says and I smile at her.

We keep walking in silence until we get to the woods. The leaves flattening under our feet are the loudest noises that cut through every thought that comes to mind about what could happen tonight.

"Alright" John speaks up and everyone stops walking, "you guys go further in and I'll stay here"

Mia nods a yes and out of the corner of my eye I can see Xander making his way over to me.

"You good Zo?" I look at him closely. His face glistens in the moonlight which I now realized was so big in the sky and so bright. It calmed me down.

"Yeah" I let out a breath, my mom came to mind at this moment. I wish she was here but with the moon shining down so bright and the darkness surrounding us more and more, I felt like she was watching over me. 'Your my moon child' she'd say every night.

Xander went back over to his friends and Mia stood there with a smile on her face.

"I love you" she told me and I chuckled. She kissed my head and jumped up and down.

"Mia come on!" One of the guys shouted and I saw they were father away from where I stood. Mia ran to them and jumped on Alex's back, he carried her while him and James were play fighting.

"Hey Zoe?" I turned to John, he stood his ground. I felt even more protected with him here.

"I honestly think your very unique, you'll be okay. Your special and I won't let anything happen to you okay?" He put a hand to my back, "I'm gonna take a quick look around, will you be okay right here?"

"Yup" I look to the sky.

He started walking to the right and the sounds of his footsteps against the leaves was the only noise as it drifted away further.

I swallowed and folded my arms, there was no other sound but the animals and the littlest rustle of the trees in the small breeze. I was here alone and yet the feeling of being watched ached and itched at my figure. So I started walking.

I know in my heart I didn't want to leave this spot until John came back, or for the matter anyone but I couldn't just stand there either.

I started walking the opposing direction of where John went. My footsteps making noises that bounced off the quietness. I looked up at the sky and realized where I had walked held no trees around. The air was clear and so was the sky, but the moon. It was the brightest I've ever seen it and so close. It seemed as if it was moving closer. I squinted, looking straight at it.

I heard something, like someone stepped on a branch. My head turned toward the sound. Then I heard them. The wolves. They howled aloud but it wasn't close, it was distance and it lingered on for a couple seconds as an echo.

Something weird starts to happen.

My head starts ringing. It's not a soft ring, its loud and it bothers my ears as I crouch down on the ground. It's too much to bare. I bring both my hands to my ears and cover them, I close my eyes and try to take the pain away with my powers but it doesn't work. I can't focus, the pain is growing. My hands start to grow hot, I look down at them. The veins in them turn black and the color shoots up my arms and I can feel it going through my body. I turn my body to sit on the ground and I can see the black running through my legs now. It's cold. Not from the wind that suddenly started picking up, but from the darkness running through me. It's cold but it doesn't hurt. It feels...good. It feels natural. I realize the pain in my head has gone away.

Then my eyes, I can feel the darkness in them. I can feel the ground moving and the wind pick up even more.

Howl! The howls start again but they sound closer. I look around but all I see is darkness. Darkness, its beautiful. I want it, I want the power that comes from it.

I'm on my knees again, trying to stand but the ground is moving too much. I fall back down and hold out my arms. Everything is black and I love it. I look up in front of me and I can see someone, they aren't real. They flash in and out of my vision.

"Mom?" I whisper but the wind picks up my word and carries it away like the leaves on the ground.

She's standing there, in front of me. She looks alive and so real. But she isn't. She still flashes in a bright light.

She starts smiling at me, "Zoe" she reaches out her hand to me. My eyes began to water, I'm on the verge of tears but they don't fall. I close my eyes as her hand touches my head.

A big gust of wind blows everything away and I open my eyes again. Theres nothing.

I stand up, my arms and legs are no longer black. My head no longer holds pain. The ground isn't moving and the wind isn't blowing. And my mom...she's gone. Like there was no sign of her in the first place.

I look up at the moon, still in its spot. The only sound I hear now is someone walking up behind me. I turn on my heels. Its John.

"Zoe!" He spots me and his face is no longer pale, "I was looking for you, did you feel that?"

"Feel what?" I ask him. I thought I was the only one who felt it. I thought I was going crazy for a minute. Was I doing that?

"The ground was shaking and the wind was blowing hard, you didn't feel anything?" He gives me a worried look.

"No" I lie.

He nods. We both turn when we hear walking toward us.

The guys and Mia are back.

"Zoeeee" Mia throws her arm around my shoulder. We all start walking toward the building but I turn back toward the woods for a second. There wasn't any trees in the spot I saw mom in when I was there but now that I could see from a distance, the trees stood tall like no one had even though about touching them.

Hello readers!

I hope you guys are doing okay♡
Thank you for reading, almost 400 reads! I love you guys. Here's another chapter, and I promise to update more often.

Please vote, comment! Xox

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.8K 864 41
Welcome to the universe of The Underworlds! Meet Amelia Ray, a troubled 16 year old trying to make it through life on her own. She has been bouncing...
2.1K 143 17
Zoe Sawyer lived her entire life in Mystic Falls well from what she remembers that is. Zoe was adopted out of New Orleans and didn't even know about...
31.7K 1.5K 24
"Keith and I watched in awe and joy as the inexplicable happened. Nikki was alive! My mate was back! Then suddenly, those brown eyes I loved so much...
145K 4K 32
▌ ·˚ ༘ ミ 𝒐𝑖𝑣. ┊ ❪ 𝓜𝙴𝚁𝙲𝚈! ❫   ↳ 慈悲 ❛ 𝖿𝗂𝗅𝗅 𝗆𝖾 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝖻𝗅𝖾𝖾𝖽 𝗆𝖾 𝖽𝗋�...