Shattered | D'Angelo Russell

By hopesashes

It keeps shattering Nothing matters If it's no trust between these four walls And it's all built up on lies a... More

1
CAST
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
Read Me
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y o n e
t w e n t y t w o
t w e n t y t h r e e
t w e n t y f o u r
t w e n t y f i v e
t w e n t y s i x
t w e n t y e i g h t
t w e n t y n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y o n e
t h i r t y t w o
t h i r t y t h r e e
t h i r t y f o u r
t h i r t y f i v e
t h i r t y s i x
t h i r t y s e v e n
t h i r t y e i g h t
t h i r t y n i n e
f o r t y
f o r t y o n e
f o r t y t w o
f o r t y t h r e e
f o r t y f o u r
f o r t y f i v e
f o r t y s i x
e p i l o g u e

t w e n t y s e v e n

1.1K 48 22
By hopesashes

The moon, it was in his eyes , the reflection of it at least. Splaying her fingers over his bare chest she nuzzled her head against his neck and inhaled his scent for a few moments before she allowed herself to meet his gaze.

"Good morning beautiful." He winked at her earning an eye roll.

"Good morning babe. I probably should get out of bed before my grandmother gets up." Shaking herself from his grip , she sat on the edge of the bed and stretched while he watched her silhouette. Her four-month bump protruding , he reached over and wrapped his arm around her waist placing his hand on it. He felt a pressure against his hand alerting both he and Zolee as she soon put her hands over his searching for the feeling again.

"Did they just ..."

"Kick?" D'Angelo finished the sentence a smile on his face "Yeah I think so."

Joyous giggles filled the room before Zolee stood up.

"That's early , I mean I'm almost five months but still you know."

"My boys are just advanced you know." He smiled proudly up at her and she couldn't help but to allow the joy he was experiencing. Kissing him softly one more time , she soon ambled back to her room , careful to miss the creaky floorboard that always landed her in trouble when she was a teenager.

Settling into her sheets , she felt her stomach once more hoping to get the sensation but nothing happened.

The next morning , she arose to laughter emanating from the kitchen. Following the sound and the scent of her grandmother's famous pancakes , she walked in to see D'Angelo and Misa shuffling around. Misa was putting together plates while D'Angelo was helping her set the table. The sight was a welcome one.

Clearing her throat she garnered their attention instantly , beaming smiles radiating on both of their faces.

"Morning honey , this one is surely a good catch. I thought he wouldn't be able to hang with me in the kitchen but he knows a thing or two."

Blushing at the compliment , D'Angelo gave a nervous smile before he pulled out a chair at the table for his girlfriend. Sitting , Zolee took in her surroundings before she scratched her head as they moved plates over to the table.

"Where's Zara?"

"Oh.." Misa waved a dismissive hand "She went to go hang out with some friends of hers , she'll be back for our New Years Eve tradition though."

"Tradition?" D'Angelo's voice filled the room as Nurse Mills walked out and took her seat.

"I hope you didn't exert too much energy doing this Misa, you remember what we discussed." The nurse scolded but Misa waved a dismissive hand as she took a seat before turning to D'Angelo.

"Well , when Zolee was a little girl , she begged me to take her to the beach on New Year's Eve , Zara joined in with her so I relented. Before I knew it we were going to the beach every year and we'd wait for the fireworks , that was their favorite part. Mine was seeing their eyes light up and this New Year's Eve will be no different."

Nurse Mills let out a sigh at the story.

"That draft won't be good for you." She warned lightly to no avail once again.

Giving a stern look , Misa held up her hand "I've not lived seventy two years on this Earth for someone to tell me what I can and can't do. Now, my babies are back in town albeit one of them is carrying her own babies and brought her boyfriend with her. I'm spending time with my family, that's final."

Pursing her lips, Nurse Mills looked as if she were fighting with herself while D'Angelo gave Zolee a concerned look which she shared with him.

"Gran we can just spend it on the back porch , we'll still see fireworks."

She offered but Misa shook her head adamantly.

"Tradition is tradition , now eat your pancakes."

-

Misa proved to everyone that when she was determined things got done. At 11 PM , Zolee , D'Angelo , Zara and Nurse Mills found themselves sharing a large blanket on Rock Canyon Swim Beach. Zolee laid on D'Angelo's lap as he fed her grapes while Zara rested her head on Misa's shoulder. Nurse Mills snapped a few pictures , not bringing attention to herself.

"I can't believe we're back here." Zara breathed earning a small smile from Misa before she began to cough.

Concerned everyone sat up and stared at her as her coughing fit continued.

"It's alright , It's alright.."

She soothed the crowd but D'Angelo was already wrapping his jacket around her shoulder's earning himself an appreciative nod and a grateful smile from Zolee.

"When you get my age that's a side effect. I brought you guys back here because I've been so happy to have you. I look at you two and still see my babies."

She sighed before she ran her fingers through Zara's hair while D'Angelo wrapped his arms around Zolee to keep her warm.

"I'm so proud of all you two have accomplished. Zara, remember that you're never alone and I never loved Zolee more than you , she just needed me more but still never question how much I love you."

Nodding Zara sighed before she clung to her grandmother more tightly. Misa was now looking at the couple behind her.

"D'Angelo you take care of my baby and your babies. Those boys have beautiful parents and I'm sure you two will be great for Zaid and Zaire."

Zolee smiled at the comment before she shook her head "You two are so sure they're boys."

Waving her off Misa went on with her speech.

"I told you to find yourself a man and for once in your life you listened to me Zolee" Misa chuckled while Zolee groaned in embarrassment at the shock that covered D'Angelo's face before amusement came to it.

"She didn't seek you out D'Angelo , but I'm glad you found her. She can be a bit tough , I know but she loves you and you love her. You two remind me so much of Ernest and I. You know every New Years , he'd make me go to church with him and I'd watch him pray , he always prayed. When he died I started to pray too. The first time we brought you girls to the beach , he looked at me and he said 'how are we going to do this Mis?'"

Sighing the older lady looked out at the sea while her audience sat enraptured by her storytelling.

"I rested my hand on his shoulder and smiled 'I don't know how old man but we will' , he nodded and then he went over and helped you two pick out seashells. You girls brought him so much joy , the last thing he told me was I would never be alone and he was right. I had you two and even when you left , you checked in every day Zolee , your spirit was always here Zara. Both of you , you were all over my house. I could still hear Zolee tripping over that creaky floorboard when she snuck in. I could still smell the perfume Zara would bathe herself in from middle school to high school. I'd hear your laughter and you two brought so much life to me when I'd lost so much. When your father died , you two kept me going and when Ernest died it was no different."

Looking at the ground , she looked back up and took Zara's hand in hers before she reached over for Zolee's. Zolee clasped her hand in hers. Nurse Mills rested a hand on Misa's shoulder in support.

"I'm glad you two have the support systems you do , you'll need them in this life. Never push them away okay?"

"Yes ma'am" Zara replied while Zolee simply nodded. They sat in silence for a few moments before Misa spoke up again.

"ten, nine , eight , seven , six , five, four , three , two.. one."

Almost on cue , fireworks filled the sky and mesmerized , Zolee felt D'Angelo gently turn her face towards his before he kissed her lips slowly , passionately. When they separated she gazed at him and he smirked at her.

"Happy New Year beautiful."

"Happy New Year babe."

Turning back to her family , she took in the serenity on Misa's face, the peace that exuded from Zara and even Nurse Mills who sat back and enjoyed the show.

"Just like I remember, Ernest loved this..." Misa sighed earning an encouraging squeeze of the hand from Zara.

"You miss him don't you?" She asked and Misa nodded sadly before she let out another three coughs.

"He was the only man I ever loved, I miss him every single day but at my age I know that we'll be together again at some point."

"That's beautiful gran." Zara affirmed quietly before she sighed lightly "I miss my husband too."

"Yes well , you'll see him soon enough. Zolee and D'Angelo have you stopped kissing now so I can look back at you?"

Embarrassed Zolee buried her head in D'Angelo's chest while he chuckled.

"It's safe Mrs. Washington."

"Good , I think we should probably head in , I'm not feeling very well."

A series of coughs came from her again and everyone immediately sprung into action. Packing up their set up and getting Misa to the car. Nurse Mills took over when they got back to the house , quelling all concerns from Zolee and Zara who she ushered to bed.

That night D'Angelo found himself in Zolee's childhood bedroom. Pacing , he took in her calm expression as he took in her childhood photos before one stopped him. Picking it up , he held it between his fingers before he looked at the inscription on the dresser under it 'A+Z forever'.

"Whose A?"

He queried , something different in his voice. Furrowing her eyebrows Zolee replayed his question in her mind before she chuckled.

"Amari and that was years ago."

"Amari Underwood as in Aya's brother?"

Surprised she gave him a questioning look.

"I visited Devin a lot in Phoenix and Aya's his girl , Amari's around from time to time so yeah I kind of know who he was. Aya teased him about dating one of her friends , I guess that's you. You two were together a long time, I hear."

"We were but we were kids and he cheated so kind of very dead."

"I guess you're right."

He placed the photo back before he sat on the edge of her bed. Curious as to the exchange , Zolee crawled over to him and kissed the side of his face.

"What's up with the third degree?"

"I don't know , I guess I just don't like thinking of you with other people. Your grandmother said your grandfather was the only man she loved and the way she looks when she talks about him, you know she's telling the truth."

Resting her head in the crook of his neck , she let out another sigh.

"Babe , if you want me to sit here and tell you you're the only man I've ever loved , I'd be lying just like you would if you told me that."

Shrugging her off , he ran his hands over his face before he turned to her.

"That's the thing Zolee , I wouldn't be. The way I was drawn to you , the way I would do anything for you from the moment we met practically. I've never been like that and if I thought I loved girls before you proved to me that I didn't , half of the things I did to them , I'd never do to you. Half of the things I do for you , I'd never do for them. I love you more than you love me."

Stunned she stared at him before she sat back.

"Is that what you think?"

"It's what I know Zolee , I moved you out to New York with no hesitation, I made plans for all of us for Christmas and even when you came here I still found my way here to spend the holidays with you, leaving my own family behind. I'm still here and I always will be."

"D'Angelo , look sharing emotions has never been my thing, or opening up. I opened up to you and that's what made me fall for you. I've never shared myself with someone the way I share myself with you , not even Amari. I loved him , but the way I love you is different, more real , more potent and honestly sometimes it scares me. I love you more than I love myself and I love our babies even more than that so don't ever question my feelings like that again."

Opening up her arms to him , D'Angelo crawled into her embrace and kissed her arm lightly.

"I'm sorry Zo I just , whatever your grandparents had , I want that for us."

"Yeah well , I want us to be us and that's perfect for me. Okay?"

Pulling the blanket over them , D'Angelo nodded before he wrapped his arms around Zolee's waist. Resting her head on top of his , she felt his breathing slow and saw his eyes fluttering. Smirking , she closed her eyes as well and soon enough they fell asleep.

Red and blue lights woke her up the next day , dazed she tapped D'Angelo's shoulders causing him to stir before she shielded her eyes from the intensity of the colors. Zara's scream echoed next immediately making both of them jump up just in time to see Misa Washington being carried out of their home on a stretcher. Panicked Zolee turned to Nurse Mills who was trailing behind the EMT's , concerned etched into her features.

"What's going on?" Zolee questioned but Nurse Mills was jumping into the ambulance. Looking at both girls she shouted one thing to them before the doors shut.

"Meet me at the hospital."

It took them less than fifteen minutes with D'Angelo's quick driving and thinking. As they both leapt from their seats , he gave Zolee an encouraging smile before he went off to find a parking spot. He had to work quickly, as he roamed the area , he found on close to the entrance and parked. Rushing back , he'd only just busted in when he heard a sound that made his heart drop , Zolee's screaming.

Rushing toward the noise , he caught her in his arms just as she'd begun to fall to the floor , tears streaming down her face. Curling into his chest he looked around frantically only to see Nurse Mills holding Zara who was reacting no better.

"She's gone D" Zolee cried into his chest before she became a mess again "Just like that , she's gone"

Rubbing soothing circles into her back he felt himself crying too. Wiping the tears off on his shoulder , he mustered up enough strength to swoop Zolee up into his arms and move them to a chair where she continued to cry into his shoulder.

"I got you Zolee, I always will."

That was all he could say , in this situation he knew nothing would make her feel any better. After twenty minutes or so her cries subsided into sniffles.

"Zo baby you have to try, for the twins you have to stay healthy."

He whispered to her initiating a sorrowful look which spread over her features as tears began to well in her eyes.

"She'll never meet the twins."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.8K 408 25
Aurora has had her heart broken enough that she built walls to protect it, but what happens when Paige breaks them? "Aurora, I'm hoping you know thi...
25.3K 2.1K 33
Wildin' || NBA YB By:4๐–™๐–๐–Š๐–˜๐–†๐–๐–Š๐–”๐–‹๐–‘๐–š๐–›โฆ You won't regret it Read to find out... โ–ช๏ธComment pleaseee โ–ช๏ธVote โ–ช๏ธFollow me ยฉ Mature Content Stro...
44.8K 1.9K 35
Everything was spinning out of control, until he met her She'd never understood her power, until she met him
170K 8K 35
๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜ฏ, ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ช๐˜ต ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ช ๐˜จ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ข ๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ยฉ ๐Ÿค๐Ÿข๐Ÿค๐Ÿฅ๏ผŒ ๐Š๐ˆ๐‚๐Š๐˜๐€๐ƒ๏ฟฝ...