A Twist in Fate

authorsmakinghistory tarafından

If the going-to-be-King of Italy, Nicholas, sweeps America off her feet to never be seen again and Maxon Schr... Daha Fazla

O n e
T w o
T h r e e
F o u r
F i v e
S i x
S e v e n
E i g h t
N i n e
T e n
E l e v e n
T w e l e v e
T h i r t e e n
F o u r t e e n
F i f t e e n
S i x t e e n
S e v e n t e e n
E i g h t e e n
N i n e t e e n
T w e n t y
T w e n t y - o n e
T w e n t y - t w o
T w e n t y - t h r e e
T w e n t y - f o u r
T w e n t y - f i v e
T w e n t y - S i x
T w e n t y - S e v e n
T w e n t y - e i g h t
T w e n t y - N i n e
T h i r t y - o n e
T h i r t y - t w o
T h i r t y - t h r e e
T h i r t y - F o u r
T h i r t y - f i v e
T h i r t y - S i x
T h i r t y - s e v e n
T h i r t y - e i g h t
Epilogue
Author's Note

T h i r t y

522 15 28
authorsmakinghistory tarafından

*Three weeks ago*

Maxon's POV:

I booked the flight to Italy the second I ended the call. Her screams still ricocheting from one part of my mind to the other; the way she screeched his name, her voice filled with so much pain and-

I shook my head as I tried to focus. She was going to be alright, she was going to be alright, she was going to be alright; maybe repeating it enough times would cease my worrying, I thought sorrowfully, as I mindlessly paced the jet in agitation and frustration. Worry caused my ever-tightening fists to whiten as I grit my teeth to not let out any grunts of anxiety.

"Walking until your legs give away won't help, Maxon. I don't understand why you're worrying so much. It's not like it's the end of the world. She's just giving birth," Kriss spoke, as calmly as she could, but you could tell she was disturbed and annoyed with my behavior.

I was too far off to even look at her apologetically, as my stride only increased in distressed fervor. She sighed before getting up and coming towards me but I was too absorbed in my thoughts to notice until she put her hand on my arm, ceasing all my abrupt movements. 

She said nothing as she pointed to the chair with her other hand and looked at me expectedly with raised eyebrows. I exhaled stressfully, as I followed and dumped myself onto the chair. And even though it was probably the most comfortable seat in the air, it only made me feel worse as my thoughts yet again wondered. I really hope she's fine and nothing wrong happens.

*A few hours later*

*America's POV*

My body was sore all over, not a millimeter of it that didn't know what exhaustion meant. My muscles were all painfully cramped as my lungs protested with every breath I shakily took. Perspiration coated every inch of my skin as my eyes screamed to seal shut, but my body and mind were at war.

I had to see them at least once before sleep claimed me. I had to.

All I did was croak out two words before my beauties were in each of my arms, and though my arms trembled, my heart shook and sighed in relief and awe. Finally.

Both of "My Precious" were sleeping, bundled up with their arms and legs wrapped inside the cloth, their eyes fluttered close as they slept unaware of the tears streaming down their mother's face, as she wept in a joy that only a mother could feel. And so, finally at peace, I let sleep demand me, with only one thought in my mind... Finally, they were home!

Time existed no longer as I drifted in and out of consciousness as sleep overtook me at whatever chance it could grab. I would hear snippets of conversations as voices murmured above me yet it felt as if I were underwater; everything was blurred and nothing made sense.

Soon enough, voices started to become clearer and I regained my vision, eyes blinking rapidly, seeking protection, from the overly-bright lights of the hospital room.

"Lights," I tried to speak but nothing came out. I frowned as I groaned, trying to recover control of my limbs and scattered senses. Thankfully, this also meant that I barely felt any of the ache, yet I knew the impending pang was not far.

Trying my best to repeat myself, I croaked out something unintelligible. Fortunately, the lights dimmed to my command and I saw the blurry faces of my mother and Nicholas before I blinked and everything cleared. 

"We were starting to get worried," my mom whispered, her face showcasing clear signs of relief as she smiled encouragingly.

She looked at her arms, and I then realized that Ahren was wide awake, as he stared at his grandmother, reaching out his hand and tracing her facial features.

"Where's Eadlyn?" The nurse instantly brought me water as I croaked out; I smiled appreciatively at her before I gulped down the whole thing like it was nobody's business. Had the former-queen been here, she would've shaken her head in disappointment. But I just gave birth to the most beautiful twins in the world, so I definitely deserved a more than delayed break.

"She's with me," I looked towards the voice and spotted Nicholas with his arms wrapped around a tiny baby, his smile was so full of proudness and raw awe, it was an absolute miracle he didn't burst from overjoy. 

I smiled softly at the sight. It was so dreamy.

Just then, the door burst open and a panic-stricken Maxon half-jogged, half-ran inside with a bored looking, irritated Kriss following him. 

"Where is she? How is she? How is the baby? Is everyone alright?" Question after question was released into the air until finally, he ceased his onslaught when his eyes landed on me.

You could literally see the weight lift off his shoulders as he visibly relaxed; with his shoulders sagging, lips trembling in relief, eyes almost in tears as his spine slouched over in an almost comical way before he regained control and rushed over to me, forgetting all about the audience around us.

"Hey darling," the way his voice rasped over as his eyes hid unshed tears of relief, you could've almost thought he was the one who gave birth. His hand reached out for mine and held it in such a delicate matter; it felt as if he was handling china glass.

My sudden bellow startled everyone, and I couldn't stop once I started. Maybe giving birth made women go crazy for some while, for I felt like insanity had taken a hold over me.

Though others knew not of the reason behind my laughter, they joined in after a few moments of confusion. Maxon's eyes couldn't hold it in anymore as his tears cascaded down his cheeks in rivulets as he chuckled lowly, kissing the back of my hand, lips lingering longer than necessary, eyes more intense than should be possible, yet his smile stayed playfully on those sinfully gorgeous lips of his.

I just couldn't hold it in anymore.

I fisted a hand in his collar and smashed my lips on his, my other hand tugging his hair as I brought him impossibly closer to me, my teeth tugging on his lower lip as he let out a slow moan.

Just kidding.

"Look, Maxon, look! Just look at them! Aren't they just gorgeous?! They're so perfect! Can you believe it, can you?! Cause I can't! Did you know..." Everyone had another round of laughter at my outburst as I went on and on about my beautiful baby twins.

"Wait, wait wait! Hold up... twins?" Maxon and Kriss both squealed at the same time, obviously for different reasons, yet shock remained equivalent. Nonetheless, they both looked at each other and smiled. The action bought a twist to my gut, and I think I almost tasted bile, but I forced myself to think about my dazzling twins instead, and instantly a soft grin fastened my lips.

I look towards both my babies, silently motioning mom and Nicholas to hand them over.

I bit my lips as they trembled with a promise of another heart-wrenching, emotional crying episode. Eadlyn and Ahren were both awake and stared at me in wonder. Their eyes, my god, their eyes, so full of innocence! And they were so tiny - the moment I held them, this over-protective feeling washed over me, almost possessing me. I would protect them with my life, no one would harm them until I existed, dead or alive, these magnificent newborns were going to live the life just like themselves - a perfect one, as perfect as I could make it! 

I hadn't realized my failed attempt at halting my cries until I saw a teardrop fall on Ahren's cheek. They both started wailing in distress, their limbs struggling inside their wrap. I hugged them to my chest, my over-protectiveness increasing with each passing second as I cooed sweet words until they silenced. I smiled and kissed both their foreheads.

"May I?" I smiled, albeit shakily, at Maxon, as I nodded my head. At first, I thought he would only hold one of my precious', but he stunned us all when he seized both of them and held them in such a manner, it brought tears to my eyes again as I brought a hand to my mouth to stifle any outburst; I had done enough crying for a day, even though it was of joy.

As I looked at them, my mind couldn't help but wonder. This was supposed to be my future, but he threw it all away, didn't he. If only... 

Maxon's POV

I held my breath and bit my lip as I stared at Ahren and Eadlyn, both in each of my arms. They looked so fragile and diminutive, it frightened me to even hold them in the wrong way. It felt as if even a move of my muscle would harm them. 

My mouth quivered as I felt another round of tears forming on my eyelashes. Why, I have no idea.

They were breathtaking with their minuscule hands and feet, and large, gentle eyes that stared up at me in wonder.

Curiosity got the best of me as I bend my head down slightly and lightly pressed my lips against Ahren's nose. I was shocked when he let out a delighted giggle and smiled, causing two dimples to form at the corners of his mouth.

Everyone in the room 'awwed' as I chuckled silently and did the same to Eadlyn, who had the same reaction.

Grinning, I let America's mother take hold of Eadlyn for a while as I started playing with Ahren causing his cover to unwrap. The nurse took away the wrap as I brushed my fingers lightly on top of the blond fuzz on top of his head and eyes that seemed strikingly familiar and struck a chord within me. I shook off the feeling as I pressed a tender kiss to his irresistible cheeks. The uncontrollable urge to keep him in my arms, safe and protected from the dangers of the world was so persistent, I didn't know what came over me.

I gulped as I reminded myself whose child this was... My America's.

And Nicholas'.

Looking up at her, I find her staring at me with unreadable emotions flickering in her eyes as her lips, too, shuddered. I made sure to keep my eyes undecipherable as I looked down and realized just how much my mistake had cost me.

Not only America but a chance at building a loving family with her.

As I raised my head again, a smug smile was fitted upon those mesmerizing lips of hers. Frowning, I looked in the direction of her gaze and found a red-faced, Kriss with furious, envious eyes staring at me. 

I blinked.

"Seems like the green-eyed monster is upon someone," America muttered under her breath but it appeared no one heard her.

Confused, I shrugged and returned my gaze back at Ahren when both his hands landed sharply on my cheeks. I nuzzled my nose with his, resulting in another fit of childish giggles.

The door stole his attention as it opened elegantly. I realized who it was before I saw her. My mother was the only person who could make even the opening of doors look elegant.

My mom and Nicholas' walked side by side, looking every bit deemed royal. 

"Queen Amberley," America shot up from her bed, before groaning and laying back down. 

She was every bit shocked that I was.

America's mom and Queen Amberley rushed to her side. 

"Please dear, stay seated. No need for greetings at such an occasion," America smiled with gratitude, "And a very big congratulations for the healthy twins."

During their light conversation, I learned that mother had too, booked a flight, when the Queen of Italy had called her.

Deep in my thoughts, I hadn't realized my mom was in front of me until she tapped me on the shoulders and looked at Ahren.

I bit my tongue as I reluctantly gave him to her. The sudden loss of contact along with his welcoming warmth and heavenly comfort sent a pang to my chest as I stood there, confused about my own feelings and emotions.

She stared at Ahren, her smile growing as he reached out with his chubby, tiny fingers and touched her chin. Her smile froze as she looked intently in his eyes and her fingers grazed the golden fuzz. Her head snapped up as she stared at me with an unusual intensity before going back to gawking at Ahren. She repeated the process - irking me to no ends - until I had had enough and went to America who was holding Eadlyn and played with them. 

The door opened for the umpteenth time, revealing it's content as Mr. Singer along with May and Gerald, came in, holding a variety of snacks and coffee.

The whole atmosphere radiated euphoria and jubilant; lightheartedness in every corner you glanced and glimpsed. 

They say it's funny how much one mistake can cost you. As I looked around at all the rapturous and triumph faces, it wasn't funny at all.

I wished I had looked closer though. Maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have missed it. And maybe, just maybe, nobody would've been hurt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: We apologize if the changing of the point of views was bothersome to some of you all, but it was needed to be done. Hope everyone liked the chapter as much as we enjoyed writing it. And if you did enjoy it, don't mind pressing that little star button in the corner. Have a good day/night ahead y'all!

~P&N~

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

166K 3.3K 97
What if in a parallel universe America never got picked for the Selection? She never went to the palace to win Maxon's heart? If they never met that...
81.1K 1.5K 63
What if Maxon chose Kriss? Will America find her happily ever after? Will Maxon get her back? This is the same story as ChameleonsForever's aka me. T...
9.5K 146 11
Not finished. Very sporadic updates. Hi! This is a book of what the Selection would look like if America told Maxon that she loved him that night in...
135K 2.4K 27
With America and Maxon finally married they can start a life together, the Southern rebels have taken a break from attacking the new King and Queen o...