Race Of His Life

By WinterFury10

"You, mister, are gonna be punished for the destruction you've caused," she said. "Pfft, like I even care." H... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
Epilogue 2

Chapter 17

193 13 4
By WinterFury10

"Done at last!" Astrid stretched her hands above her head, finally relieved that the meeting was over.

"Are you really that exhausted?" Elsa asked, seeing the dark circles below her eyes.

"Yup. Hiccup's been having a tight schedule, what with attending interviews and shooting advertisements while also finding time to practice with Toothless. From when I took up the role of being his manager after I was disqualified, I've been stuck dealing with the enormous number of requests for his appearance in TV shows and radio programmes and I have to keep up with Hiccup's and my part of the work in the company. I had to take three all-nighters to finish all the work for this meeting." Astrid explained as they walked together towards the canteen.

Elsa wrapped an arm around her best friend's shoulder, giving her a reassuring squeeze. "I know its hard for you, Astrid. So how about this? I'll take care of your work in the company and you can concentrate on Hiccup? The President will definitely not force his own son to sit in the office while he has a race to compete in so you won't have any company work to deal with. Besides, its the practice stage for the competitors so Hiccup won't be having any interviews until the last three or four days. So rather than doing any work at all, you should focus on your own health."

"What? Don't be ridiculous Elsa. It's my job. I can't dump it all on you." Astrid rubbed her forehead.

"And I'm your friend. And friends do this for each other all the time. And even you know that you need to focus on your health. I can always take your help later. Sound good?" Elsa smiled.

Astrid thought about it for a few minutes before sighing. "Yup." She looked up and smiled at her. "Thanks, Els."

"Good girl." Elsa smiled and led Astrid towards the table, pulled out a chair, and made her sit. "Now sit tight while I get our food."

Elsa walked away, returning with one normal looking tray of food and one especially filled with healthy salads and fruits. She placed the second tray in front of Astrid -who raised an eyebrow suspiciously when she saw the food selection in her own tray- and sat opposite to her.

"What's with all the greens on my plate?" Astrid asked before taking her first bite.

"You need them. Especially now." Elsa shrugged.

"What do you mean by that?" Astrid blinked.

"You do look terribly tired, you know," Elsa cast her a pointed glance, "And besides, I've been having other doubts about your health," she secretly glanced at Astrid's tummy, which did not go unnoticed by her.

"...How did you know..?" Astrid asked, shocked.

"So it is true! I noticed how you've been behaving since I came here and I'm sorry for assuming on my own but I felt it was too rude to just ask you about it," Elsa smiled. "Congrats."

Astrid sighed, rubbing her forehead. "It's that obvious, huh?"

"Nah, I'd say you're doing a good job so far. Does Hiccup know?" Elsa asked.

"...I took up his side of work so that he could focus on his race... If he knew I was pregnant, he'd stop me from working too much and might not focus on his race. This is something he's been dreaming of for years and I don't want to be the cause of his downfall..."

Elsa reached across the table and held her hand, giving a small smile as she spoke. "I'm not gonna advise you on what you should and shouldn't do. They're your decisions and yours alone. Take your time and tell him when you feel is the right time. I support you in every way."

Astrid smiled back, gripping her hand tightly in her own. "Only the Gods know what I did in my previous life to receive you as a friend."

Elsa grinned, placing her other hand on her heart as she spoke dramatically, "Am I really that bad of a friend, Milady?"

Astrid laughed, reaching across and punching her lightly on her shoulder.

The two women conversed as they ate, catching up on each other's lives while also reminiscing their days at the Magic Academy. While Elsa had been in the Magical Abilities section, Astrid had been studying in the Magical Animals section where she trained her dragon, Stormfly. The two didn't hang out a lot, mainly because they were in different sections and because Elsa spent all of her free time studying in the library while Astrid spent her time with her other friends, including Hiccup. But they were roommates for a long time and they would sometimes grab a cup of coffee or eat lunch together as they explained their adventures and progress in the Academy.

Elsa treasured Astrid's friendship a lot, especially since it was because of her support during the first few races that Elsa was able to stay sane even after the immense amount of pressure. And Astrid had mutual feelings about her friendship with Elsa because she could confide her problems to Elsa, knowing she wouldn't judge or tease her, or tell about her problems to anyone else.

After a lengthy conversation, they finally decided to call it a day and head to bed. Astrid walked Elsa to her room and after sharing a hug, with Elsa requesting Astrid to pass on her best wishes to Hiccup for his race, Astrid returned to her own room.

Closing the door, Elsa sighed, wishing she could have had more time with Astrid before she shook her head and flopped down on her bed. She looked up when she heard her phone ring, notifying her about a message.

'Anna: Take good rest. We have a surprise for you XD'

Breathing out one last sigh, Elsa rolled over and pulled the blankets over herself, drifting into a dreamless slumber.

.....

"Okay, let's check through the list one last time. Elsa's house?" 

Jack lifted his notepad with a pen in his other hand, looking at the others expectantly.

"Check." Rapunzel nodded.

"All of your houses?"

"Check."

"Lights?"

"Check."

"Rink and Snacks?"

"Check."

"The shops?"

"Check, I guess." She looked warily at Merida's shop decorated with swords.

"Bessie?"

"As clean as ever." Flynn interrupted, smudges of grease and dirt all over his face and hands.

"Go take a goddamn shower." Jack glared at him. "You're the only one who's not ready."

"Wait," Merida stepped forward and crossed her arms, wearing an emerald green dress, "you're telling me you're gonna surprise her while wearing that?" She gestured to his whole appearance.

"Excuse me?" Jack furrowed his eyebrows, slightly offended. "What's wrong with this?"

"You do realise that you're decked in black from neck to toe, right?" She raised an eyebrow.

"So?"

"What she's trying to tell," Rapunzel stepped between them before they could start pulling each other's hair out, "is that you look the exact same when you crashed the rink, Jack. And I gotta admit, Elsa isn't the type to fall for the 'bad boy' types." She smiled hesitantly.

Jack took her words into consideration and looked at himself in the mirror. He hadn't even realised it when he had dressed up in the morning but as they had stated, he was indeed wearing all black. He pursed his lips in thought before he turned to Anna.

"What do you recommend?" He asked, knowing that Anna would know Elsa's interests better than anyone else.

Anna gave it some thought before shrugging. "Knowing Elsa, she'd want you to be yourself and choose what you want rather than what she or anyone else wants."

Jack looked at himself again and he remembered that he had mentioned to Elsa how he used to look before he became obsessed with the race, and she had advised him to change just the aspects that he didn't like.

"Um, Anna?" He called out, still looking at himself in the mirror, "Do you happen to have a blue hoodie?"

.....

Elsa smiled and waved when she saw Kristoff waiting for her near the forest. She thanked the cab driver before stepping out and getting on Kristoff's motorbike.

"Don't you look like you stepped out of the salon," Kristoff grinned, starting the motorbike.

"Yeah, there's this new type of make-up process called 'exhaustion with a tint of misery'. Didn't you know?" Elsa rolled her eyes. "What is this surprise that I heard about, by the way?" She asked, eyeing his outfit consisting of a burgundy sash tied around his waist, a dark blue long-sleeved undershirt, and thick dark trousers.

She noticed Kristoff tense up as he came up with an answer, "Just a dinner hosted by Anna and Rapunzel, showing their gratitude for your hard work."

Elsa raised an eyebrow, suspicion coursing through her brain but she decided not to prod anymore.

They drove in silence after that, with Elsa trying to figure out what they could be plotting while Kristoff pleaded the Gods to not let another question come from Elsa. It was way past sunset by the time they reached the rink and Elsa's eyebrows furrowed in confusion when Kristoff stopped the motorbike at a little distance from the rink. He requested that she walked to the rink from there on, saying that it was part of the surprise.

Elsa agreed and walked down the road, noticing just then that the path seemed clear and easy to walk on. Her eyes widened when, after walking a bit more closer to the rink, lights on both sides of the path were suddenly switched on. She wondered where the lights even came from as she slowly and cautiously continued walking.

Her breath got caught in her lungs the minute she stepped out of the forest and into the rink. Instead of being covered by snow completely, the trees around the rink were cleared of all snow except for a light dusting of snow and frost which made the trees shimmer. The houses looked clean and bright, a thin layer of snow coating the roofs of the houses. And just as she turned around in wonder, string lights lining the houses and the trees blinked to life and tiny snowflakes floated gently towards the ground, making Elsa wonder if she was in a beautiful snow globe.

"Good evening, Your Highness."

Elsa stopped, tensing up as she recognised the owner of the voice. She slowly turned around and saw Jack Frost standing behind her, holding a bouquet of the most beautiful roses that she had ever seen. Upon closer inspection, she realised that they were made of ice with a few snowflakes added for decoration.

"...Jack?" She called out in confusion and disbelief. Just as much as her heart was elated at seeing him, another major part of her heart reminded her that he didn't like her so she shouldn't get her hopes high.

Noticing the sadness in her eyes, Jack took a deep breath as he just gave her a smile and held out the bouquet. "For you." He added with a gentle voice.

Elsa felt heat creep up her face all the way to her ears and accepted the flowers, looking around as everyone else stepped out. They weren't dressed in their usual attire and Elsa realised that all of them were wearing medieval-style clothes, matching their tastes and style. Everyone smiled at her before starting to skate as the music started playing from somewhere.

Elsa turned back to Jack, her heart pounding in her ribcage as Jack held his hand out. "Can I have this dance?"

She stared at him, still having a hundred questions in her head but she nodded nonetheless as she decided that she'll voice her confusion while they dance. With that thought in her mind, Elsa placed her shivering hand in his, feeling too conflicted to even look him in the eye.

Though he noticed this, Jack just smiled and gave her hand a gentle squeeze. He made her a pair of ice skates that fit her feet perfectly before the skated to the centre of the rink.

Seeing the main couple finally enter the rink, Merida changed the music to a slow waltz as per their plan.

As they swayed to the music, Elsa noticed everyone pairing up as well.

On one hand, Kristoff and Anna were giggling as they danced clumsily and Rapunzel led Flynn round the rink, softly muttering instructions on what he should do. Whereas on the other hand, Mr and Mrs Corona skated elegantly, followed by Mrs Dunbroach who made sure her husband skated properly. The triplets seemed to think that dancing was boring as they stuffed their faces at the snacks table.

Finally turning her eyes to Jack, Elsa's heart skipped a beat when she saw Jack's complete attention on her, his hands soft and gentle on her hand and waist. She continued staring into his eyes, captivated, as he led the dance. Not realising their growing proximity, Elsa suddenly remembered all the questions she wanted to ask.

"Can I ask you something?" She asked softly.

"Go ahead," He replied with a soft and deep voice that had wondrous effects on her heart.

Elsa took a deep breath, looking down as she asked, "Why did you come back?"

He gave her waist a gentle and pleasant squeeze which made Elsa look up at his apologetic yet genuine expression. He leaned closer and she held her breath as he whispered, "To see you and apologize to you."

Elsa struggled to keep her breathing calm. Noticing this, Jack gently squeezed her hand and smiled encouragingly.

Time slowed down for Elsa as they gazed at each other, faces so close that she could feel his warm breath on her face. "A-Apologize?" She stammered.

Jack's downcast eyes were filled with guilt, his hair brushing against her forehead as whatever romantic mood they had slowly dimmed by his sadness.

"Yes." He confirmed. "I wanted to apologize that I never meant to hurt you when I said that I didn't like you. I..." He chuckled nervously, "I didn't even mean that, to be honest. The girls were teasing me that I'm in love with you and I got too flustered so I kept denying it... They continued teasing me and- I guess I got too frustrated and screamed that I didn't like you and that you weren't worthy of my affection... And to my amazing luck, you happened to be right behind me and I swear to God Elsa, if there's anyone who has my complete affection, it's definitely you! And I didn't mean to tell something as horrible as saying you're not worthy 'cause, obviously, you're way more worthy an-"

Jack stopped rambling and blinked in surprise as Elsa smiled, warm tingles spreading throughout her arm from her finger, which was pressed against his lips. "I understand." She whispered.

Jack just blinked a few more times in disbelief before he held her hand that was on his lips, pulling it back before intertwining their hands. "Do you mean it? Do you really forgive me?" He asked, looking at her through his eyelashes.

Elsa smiled and nodded again. "I forgive you." She whispered, gently squeezing his hand.

Jack smiled, bowing his head over their hands as he pulled her closer by her waist. "That's all I need." He pressed his lips on her hand, sending electric shock waves from the spot he kissed, all the way to her heart. He looked up and Elsa bit her lip to avoid grinning too much when she saw the cheeky smile he gave.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.1K 238 28
[( COMPLETED)] "Elsa you mistake get out here right now" My stepmother yelled out, these past few years have been and nightmare my mum died in a car...
84.6K 3K 41
Elsa Winters could be easily described as perfect. She has a great family, awesome friends, a secured future, beautiful looks, and above it all, she...
6.4K 380 29
- ˏˋ 𝐵𝑜𝑜𝑘 𝑇𝑤𝑜 ˊˎ - 𝑬𝒍𝒔𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝑯𝒐𝒈𝒘𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓, 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒔 𝒋𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝒉�...
1.8K 111 21
"You must discover life on your own. What you'll experience can't be taught with words, it can only be lived." My mentors' words rang softly in my ea...