Learn to Love Again

By sidnick22

Buckingham Nicks AU Lindsey Buckingham starts teaching at a new school and his life is drastically changed by... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
Loose Ends

14

374 13 2
By sidnick22

As school was coming to a close, Annabelle was practically counting down the days, 15 to be exact, three weeks, and she could not wait. It was the first of May when she and Graham confirmed their relationship, and though today was a Tuesday, and Stevie's birthday, Graham and the McVie family was going to come over for dinner on Friday the 29th and everyone was slightly excited, yet slightly terrified.

Lindsey had been running solely on Coffee, his girlfriend becoming slightly unbearable the further along her pregnancy got. She was showing now, big showing. She was about as big as she was with Annabelle during her seventh month of pregnancy, but now being only on month five, she was miserable. She was now 22 weeks along, five months, her legs were swelling, she couldn't fit into her platform boots anymore, and cried when Lindsey took her to the mall and she found out she went up half a shoe size, claiming that her feet didn't change when she had Annabelle. She was having the weirdest cravings in the middle of the night, Watermelon with chocolate syrup. Or tacos with ketchup on them. He was slightly disgusted when she asked for that one, and most nights were spent with her tossing and turning and throwing her pregnancy pillow around.

He still hadn't felt the babies kick or move, but Stevie was feeling them all of the time, and when she'd feel it, if Lindsey was in close enough proximity, she'd grab his hand and place it on her stomach, and Annabelle's too but they would both just look at her and shake their heads. It always made Stevie pout. Her emotions were everywhere as well, they were watching HGTV and there was s particularly ugly house and she just busted out into tears. And not to mention, sex. Sex had absolutely flown out the window after Easter when her belly expanded quite rapidly overnight.

Stevie was not motivated to do anything on her birthday. She was more than willing to lay in bed and do nothing, she woke up to Lindsey's alarm clock, and sat up with him. It was a new habit that she developed. She'd wake up for literally five minutes to kiss him good morning and wish him a good day at work, then she'd fall back asleep cuddling his pillow, her hand placed protectively over her baby bump.

"Morning baby." Lindsey smiles putting his hand on her stomach right under her breasts and leaned over to kiss her.

"Morning Linds." She said sleepily.

"Happy Birthday, do you want to do anything today?" Lindsey questions rubbing circles over her stomach.

"No, I'm sleeping my day away." Stevie states.

"Anna was thinking about going out to dinner, to that Mexican place you like." Lindsey sighs. That was going to be a touchy conversation.

"Lindsey, I don't want to leave the house." Stevie sighs.

"I understand, but people are going to start asking questions. You were supposed to go in and start working on another album this year and you haven't once stepped foot in the studio. Don't get me wrong, I love having you here at our disposal, but I know you, and I know you miss work. If you disappear for a while people are going to ask questions. If you show your face, and people see your stomach they'll probably bombard you with questions, but it'll give you a motive to not work for a while if that's what you want." Lindsey shakes his head.

"I do want to take a year off, I had Annabelle in the studio with me, when she was four days old. I don't want to do that again, I want to relish in these babies and spend the most pivotal part of their life with them." Stevie falls back into bed.

"Alright, so we'll do Mexican at seven then?" Lindsey asks hoovering over her.

"I guess." Stevie smiles as he nods and kisses her again.

"I'll make us a reservation," Lindsey states crawling out of bed and going to get ready for his day at work.

***

Anna was the first one in the door after school, and she ran right to her mother. Stevie met her halfway, the two almost immediately knocking into each other, then laughing when they exchanged looks.

Stevie was wearing a tight black tank top that showed off her baby bump, a flowy green cardigan over her shoulders and a pair of maternity jeans, her "mom" shoes on her feet. Anna was wearing a pair of vintage bell bottoms, most likely her mother's at one point, with a green blouse splattered with black polka dots on top and black closed-toe wedges.

"We didn't even see each other this morning." Stevie laughs.

"Great minds must think alike then. Happy Birthday, momma, I made this for you." Annabelle hands her the birthday bag, that she made Graham go get her at lunch.

"Thank you, baby, can I open it?" Stevie questions.

"Of Course." Annabelle smiles.

Stevie grinned and dug through the bag before pulling out an easel. Painted on it, were two yellow lilies against a soft baby pink background.

"Oh Annabelle, it's gorgeous. Can I hang it up in the nursery it would go perfectly?" Stevie questions.

"Momma, you can hang it up where ever you want to. I painted you lilies because I know they're your favorites." Annabelle shrugs.

"My gift isn't as extravagant, I'll give it to you later tonight." Lindsey smiles sweetly.

"Alright, Lindsey, get your hammer you're hanging this up before we go. Right between the two cribs." Stevie demands making her way up the stairs.

The nursery was completed last week, Stevie had a spurt of energy while Lindsey and Annabelle were at school, called Karen and they went on a shopping spree, her bump covered by layers of clothing. She bought countless dresses for the girls and some onesies and sleepers. But most importantly she bought furniture and paint and put Lindsey to work over the weekend.

The walls were a deep grey, complimenting the white trimmings of the window. The cribs were beautiful white wood, as was the changing table and the dresser pushed in the corner. One of the cribs was adorned with yellow sheets, with a grey elephant sitting in the corner a yellow and gray blanket Stevie had crocheted draped over the side of the crib, one of the drawers of the six-drawer dresser filled with white, yellow, and grey baby towels, and blankets. A fuzzy grey blanket draped over one arm of the white rocking chair. The other crib adorned with baby pink sheets, a grey owl perched in the corner, a white and grey crocheted blanket draped over the side. A second drawer completely devoted to grey, white, and pink blankets, and towels. A fuzzy pink blanket sitting on the other arm of the rocking chair.

"Is that good Angel?" Lindsey asks showing her the painting now perched between the two cribs.

"That's perfect Linds." Stevie smiles grabbing his arm and lifting it over her shoulder. She intertwined their fingers and leaned into his side.

"Can you believe it's happening Linds. We're having twins." Stevie smiles.

"No, I can't. But it's great isn't it." Lindsey beams.

"You're right. It's really great." Stevie laughs.

***

After they went out for dinner, they came back with Stevie's favorite cake, and then Annabelle retreated to her room to either call Graham or to study. Hopefully to study. She had to work on her math grade. It wasn't looking the best.

Stevie was sitting on the couch, writing. Sulamith was perched on the back of the couch by her mom's head, and Max was laying on her feet with his head on her thighs. Lindsey was doing the small amount of dishes they had. Stevie tried to do it, but her back was hurting and he could see that. Just by the way she was standing and the fact that for most of the night, she had one hand on the small of her back. In actuality, he needed to think about his action plan, and he needed to think fast. He had two gifts stored in his toolbelt for her Birthday. The first being a bottle of her favorite perfume, and her favorite chocolates. The other was a ring that he only had for about three months, but he was scared it was going to be taken out of context.

Lindsey wanted to propose, not because they were having twins, but because he was scared to lose her again. However, he knew her stance on marriage. He had proposed back in 1973 after their album flopped with a cheap drug store ring he got for ten bucks. She turned him down flat, saying Marriage just wasn't her thing. His mom gave him her ring in 1978, and he was going to propose but then they lost the baby and things just didn't feel right about proposing after that. But now, she's already called her self Mrs. Buckingham and she is having two more of his babies.

"Angel, do you want my gift?" Lindsey asks going over to his briefcase and pulling out the small bag.

Stevie abruptly sat up disturbing Max, who instead of getting down just changed positions to the other end of the couch. "Yes." She smiles.

"Okay, I hope you like it." Lindsey hands her the bag.

"Lindsey...it's chocolate and perfume," Stevie said after a while.

"I know, it's your favorite perfume." He rubs the nape of his neck.

"Perfume Lindsey...Really?" Stevie's getting defensive.

"I...no, I don't want to give you the other thing I have." Lindsey blushes.

"And why not?" Stevie asks standing up off of the couch and walking around to face him.

"Because I'm scared." Lindsey blurts.

"Scared.... scared of what?" Stevie questions crossing her arms over her chest.

Lindsey huffs and digs in his briefcase giving her the other small box. She opens it and her mouth falls open.

Staring up at her, was a gorgeous silver ring. The diamond wasn't anything too big, but it was a perfect size, and it was adorned by silver smaller diamonds along the top of the band.

"Lindsey, is that...an...engagement ring?" Stevie questions.

"Yeah...yeah, it is." Lindsey looks down sheepishly.

"Well, why are you scared?" Stevie asks taking the ring out of the box, rolling it between her fingers.

"Because I tried before...twice, the first time in 1973 and I was literally about to ask you to marry me in 1978 when you put your hands on your belly and screamed in pain...I just....I don't' know." Lindsey sighs.

"Lindsey, ask me." Stevie hands him the ring.

"Steph..." Lindsey trails off.

"Ask me," Stevie demands.

"Stephanie, will you marry me?" Lindsey asks getting on his knee in the space between the couch and the kitchen island.

"Yes Lindsey, I will marry you." Stevie smiles.

"What?" Lindsey asks.

"Yes Lindsey, I will marry you. I'm ready to become a Buckingham. Honestly. In 73 I wasn't and in 78, we were in no shape to even discuss marriage. But I'm ready now." Stevie smiles, as Lindsey beams and slides the ring onto her finger.

"Now this is a good birthday present." Stevie smiles wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her stomach closely to his, her baby bump not leaving any gap.

"It's gorgeous Lindsey." Stevie coos in his ear.

"Anna helped me pick it out. She said you'd like it." Lindsey shrugs.

"She was right." Stevie chuckles.

As they were embracing, both Lindsey and Stevie felt a kick.

"Jesus Steph..." Lindsey pulls away.

"You felt that?" Stevie questions, eyes filling up with tears.

"I felt it. We've got a soccer player in there." Lindsey laughs placing his hands on her stomach where he was greeted with more feisty kicks.

"No, we've got a Buckingham." Stevie smiles leaning up and kissing him.

***

Friday rolled around, and Stevie was clued to the stove. She didn't know why but she wanted to make a good impression. She had already met the McVie's during that stupid robot baby assignment, and not to mention Anna's suspension. But tonight, they were seeing her in her natural habitat. She wasn't Stevie Nicks. For all purposes, she was five months pregnant Stephanie Buckingham, and she was making dinner for her daughter's boyfriend and his family. That's a lot of pressure, not to mention the added pressure of the babies rolling around inside of her. The twins have taken to already hating each other. They fight in the womb all the time and Stevie feels it most at night.

"Mom we're home!" Anna calls as Stevie bends over to get the chicken breast out of the oven. It was around five-thirty, Christine and Lindsey had a staff meeting after school until five and then John picked the two McVie's up and they followed Lindsey home.

Stevie winced as she stood up and Christine immediately rushed over to her.

"Let me do it," Christine demands grabbing the towel off of the counter and taking the pan from her.

"Thanks, this bending over thing is getting harder by the minute." Stevie chuckles rubbing her back.

"I bet. Lindsey told me it was twins. How exciting!" Christine cheers.

"It is exciting but it's terrifying all at the same time." Stevie laughs.

"When we had our daughter Molly we were absolutely clueless. She's a senior in college now and boy how time does fly." Christine reminisces.

"I know. It was like just yesterday I was bringing Annabelle home from the hospital, in her little pink sleeper. Then she graduated to pink overalls and then pink tennis shoes and now look at her." Stevie smiles as Annabelle blushes.

"I'm just excited to meet my little sisters, I think real babies would be better than Toby was." Annabelle exhales taking a seat at the dining room table.

"Toby was awful." Graham expresses in his British accent that Stevie was not aware of until that moment, but then it clicked, Both John and Christine had British accents.

"He really was." Annabelle nods laying her head on his shoulder. Stevie cooed at the sight but then her babies kicked and brought her back to reality. They were hungry, and they wanted food now.

Stevie turned towards the stove and started warming up some asparagus and stirring the baby reds she was currently cooking in olive oil and parsley.

"Is there anything I can help with?" Christine questions.

"Actually yes, I make a simple cheese sauce for the asparagus. Anna and I can't eat it without cheese, but I always make it with this meal, it adds a little something extra. If you could, by the microwave there's a bowl with several kinds of cheese and cheese soup, if you could mix everything together and pop in the microwave for three minutes that would be great." Stevie smiles as Christine nods and goes over to her designated spot.

As they were sitting around the table it was nice. It wasn't awkward or anything, it simply felt natural. But then, Christine brought something up that neither Stevie nor Lindsey thought about.

"So, twins, that's a lot of work. When are you due?" Christine asks.

"Around September...29th, Lindsey what are you going to do about work?" Stevie looks towards him.

"You caught on to my question." Christine laughs.

"Well, I mean it's twins, and with your age...The doctor said that they could be born anywhere between the end of August and your actual due date. I might just take September and October off and come back in November." Lindsey sighs.

"I can work with that." Christine smiles.

"Then it's settled." Lindsey states.

"But I take it that I still have to go to school." Anna pouts.

"I'm afraid so." Stevie laughs, her belly jiggling. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.6K 879 19
One accident causes Stevie's life to change completely. 1997-...
34.7K 2K 62
AU; Stevie, a painter and Lindsey, an architect, are divorced, co-parenting their pre-teen twins in Phoenix, Arizona. Buckingham Nicks.
47.2K 1.7K 40
Life comes in cycles
Baby By sidnick22

Fanfiction

10.7K 285 31
Stevie really wants to become a mother so she does everything in her power to make it happen.