6

Lindsey made it to San Francisco around three, before he even went into the living room to greet his family he slid into what was his father's study and called the girls. As if almost in a blink of an eye he found himself sitting at the dinner table with his mom, niece, nephews, brother, and both of his sisters-in-law. They were eating lasagna, a thing that Ruth excelled at, and it was Lindsey's favorite meal. Stevie tried to bum the recipe off the older woman countless times but Ruth kept mum about it.

"So Lindsey, how's Santa Monica. I know you only took the job for the higher pay but there has to be something good about it." Claire, Greg's widow questions sipping on a glass of lemonade.

"It's actually really good." Lindsey grins widely.

"Lindsey Adams Buckingham, did you meet someone?" Kelly gasps eyeing her brother-in-law.

"Well...I, no...Yes... I don't know how to answer that." Lindsey blushes.

"What are you hiding baby brother?" Jeff asks crossing his arms.

"On my first day of school, I um met a student named Annabelle Buckingham. The thought never crossed my mind. Buckingham is a common-ish name. I just figured she was like a distant relative or something. I'll have to admit this young girl was by far my favorite student. Got her work done on time, she was polite, I had her twice a day, she was being bullied and she came to me for guidance. She got in a fight with her bully a week ago and Stevie Nicks came and picked her up after she got suspended. I know because I hauled her ass and the other girl's down to the office. Turns out, I have a kid I didn't know about for fifteen years." Lindsey explains.

"What!" Ruth gasps.

"Yeah, Annabelle Grace Buckingham born June 10th, 1981. Stevie said that she found out a couple of weeks after we broke up." Lindsey shrugs.

"Wait a minute, I'm a huge Stevie Nicks fan and she has YOUR kid. Why haven't you introduced us yet!" Claire asks.

"Because we dated in high school and in 1980 she cheated on me so I left in January and didn't turn back. She didn't tell me because she was only having sex with me and fucking Don Henley from the Eagles and she didn't know who the father was until Don demanded a paternity test and it was negative. That only leaves one option...and god this girl is so much like me. She plays guitar, she's on the swim team. We like the same food. She is my daughter I know that. I actually came here from their house we had a little makeshift Christmas together." Lindsey explains.

"My Stevie gave me a granddaughter. Please tell me you have pictures." Ruth pleads looking at her youngest son.

"I do, they're up in my luggage. Do you want me to go get them?" Lindsey asks.

"Oh yes!" Ruth cheers.

***

Christmas holiday was over, and Lindsey found himself knocking back coffee the morning of the third. He had gotten back late on the second and he did not want to be there, but he was, and he was secretly counting down the days until spring break. His classroom door opened and Annabelle walked in, the necklace he bought her around her neck and a way to jittery bounce in her step.

"What's up with you?" Lindsey asks.

"Well, I was wondering since you know...you are my dad and all, if I could store my stuff in here. Gym bag, lunch, swim stuff." Annabelle states.

"You do anyway." Lindsey points to the closet.

"Why are you grumpy?" Annabelle asks crossing her arms and plopping at her desk.