Curiosity Killed more than Ju...

By bluebat31

Yato, Yukine and Hiyori are in their most difficult battle with Phantoms yet. Luckily Yato spots another Rega... More

An Introduction
Be Careful what you Wish For
Curiosity can Kill More than Just a Cat
Only Yato's Regalias Would be Stuck Doing This
No Ordinary Regalia
Even Regalias can Stand Out
But Lucky for me, I'm a Regalia
Babysitting Blues
The Best Mess Anyone could ever Ask For
A Regalia Worth Keeping
A Reality so Wonderful
Reversed Roles and Musical Memories
I'm not the Sitting-Duck Type, I'm the Curious-Kitten Type
No, Miyuki's Real Name is not Mary Sue(Author's Note)
Not all Slumbers are Peaceful
Cats and Dogs Just Don't Mix
Liars, Secrets and Promises Meant to be Broken
Emotions Spilling Over
Not Everything is Better Left Unsaid
Then Again, some things Are
The True God of Calamity
Changes and Wishes
Misfortune is an Understatement
One Less Regalia
Unrevealed Pasts and Unaswered Questions
The First Promise
Cats Know Best
Cats Don't have Just One Life
*Not really a chapter but please read!!*
A Halloween Special

Glass isn't all that Shatters

3.4K 178 54
By bluebat31

        StillwaitingonthatCaramelldansenvideo,butyaknow,whatever.
        I'm sorry for taking so long with this chapter! Once I finally settle something, something else pops up. I get an idea for the chapter, I get buckets of homework. Get through that, have to read a book. Find the book(someone moved it) and read it, people get on my nerves and break me down. Plus some other shiz, but you guys are here for the story, not a rant. People are still getting on my nerves and I'm still buried in homework and constant studying, so while I'm hoping I can go back to constant updates, I don't want to promise you anything because I'm not sure if I can keep it, but know that I am trying my best.
        Anyone know how to type the name of games? I'm going according to www.dailywritingtips.com/capitali... and I'm guessing I did it right, but it looks weird so I don't know for sure.

--------

        You woke up to the usual chaos- it was like music to your ears. A sweet symphony that you haven't heard in far too long. You opened the sliding door and sat beside a certain little blond. "Good morning, Yukine," you greeted with a cat-like yawn.
        "Good morning, Miyuki," he greeted back. You both looked at each other with giant, matching smiles.
        "Oh, the puppy and kitten sure are in a good mood this morning," Kofuku teased.
        "Aren't they?" Yato joined in.
        "I-It's not like that!" you both yelled, blushing.
        "It's just- I missed Miyuki," Yukine mumbled.
        "He yelled at Yato for releasing you and hasn't talked to him since, until last night," Kofuku told you. You looked over at Yukine, his head hung low and his cheeks growing darker. You felt the corner of your lips tug upward.
        "I missed you too."
        His head lifted up at your words and his orange eyes looked into yours. "Really?"
        "Of course!" You and Yukine smiled at each other, then you turned to see Yato and Kofuku wearing amused expressions. "I-I mean, I missed everyone. It just didn't feel like home at Bishamon's shrine," you mumbled, but their smiles remained laced on their lips.
        "Hello, everyone!" Hiyori greeted, killing the awkward silence. You felt the nice breeze slip in before she closed the sliding door.
        "We should go outside," you blurted out.
        "What do you want to do?" Yukine asked.
        "I don't know. Anything, really. I've been cooped up in Bishamon's shrine. I need some fresh air."
        "We could play kick the can," Hiyori suggested. "The game has two teams. The first team has one person guarding an empty soda can and the others searching for members of the other team. The goal of the second team is to knock down the can without getting caught. Once a person gets caught, that person has to sit out the rest of the game. If the whole team is caught, they lose. The goal of the first team is to keep the can standing and catch the other team. If the can gets knocked over, that team loses."
        "Sounds fun, but it needs a catch," you said with an intimidating smile. "Each person from the winning team gets to make one of the people on the losing team do one thing, and that person has to do it."
        "Okay!" Kofuku exclaimed overjoyed. Hesitantly everyone mumbled agreeing words and the teams were created- you, Hiyori and Yato were to guard the can while Yukine, Kofuku and Daikoku were to knock it down. Hiyori led you to a secluded forest and the teams split up. You all came up with your own plan and got in places. Hiyori stood in an open area with her foot on the can- keeping watch. You hid high in a nearby tree, waiting for someone to come into view. Meanwhile Yato was out searching for the others.
        You stayed crouched down on the high-up branch and closed your eyes. A gust of wind blew, making you lose your balance. As you regained it you began to feel dizzy. You shook your head in attempt to snap out of it but you had little success. There was a sharp pain in the back of your head but you ignored it as you heard footsteps drawing closer. Your eyes landed on Yukine as he made his way into the clearing. With just a few swift moves, you landed behind him with the only sound being that of the leaves rustling in the breeze. You opened your arms and reached out in front of you.
        "Yukine, look out!"

        Yukine turned around just in time and moved out of your reach. Across the clearing was Kofuku. And in between them, Hiyori. The four of you were still and exchanged glances.
        "Kofuku!" Yato emerged from the trees and charged in her direction.
        "Gotta catch me, Yatty!" Kofuku exclaimed, dodging his attack. You, Yukine and Hiyori stood there, watching as the two zigzagged around.
        "I'm getting closer!"
        "Hehehe, Yatty's chasing me!"
        "Kofuku, kick the can!" Daikoku yelled, coming into view. He leaned against a tree trunk, so you assumed he was out.
        "But this is too fun to end!"
        "I'm gaining on you, Kofuku!"
        "Not for long!" Their voices were soon unable to reach your eardrums as they vanished out of sight.
        "They're like children on a playground," you said.
        "Agreed," Yukine joined in.
        "Those two are-"
        "-absolutely crazy." You then tensed up and watched each other carefully. Watching for even the slightest movement. And he did the same. It stayed that way for quite some time. Yukine dug his feet into the ground, as did you. He spun around and bolted. You tailed him and lunged. Yukine hit the dirt, you on top of him. You felt something fall on you and turned to see Hiyori now in Phantom form. Your eyes widened in horror. You reached out, but it was too late. All you could do was lay there and stare at the can on it's side.
        "Sorry about that," Hiyori apologized.
        "We were so close, too," you mumbled, pulling yourself to your feet.
        "I'll track the other two," Daikoku said, walking out of sight. You could smell something. A familiar smell, faintly, as if from far off. But no one else was in the forest.
        "Miyuki, are  you alright?" Hiyori asked.
        "Yeah, I'm fine," you assured her. You took a few slow steps, no longer able to ignore the sharp pain in the back of your head.
        "You look out of it," Yukine joined in.
        "I just need some sleep is all," you insisted. They dismissed it for now and, when Daikoku came back with the other two, you all walked home.

(Yukine's POV)

        Miyuki was in the back room napping away and the rest of us sat in the main room. My eyes wandered to the clock.

        She's been back there for at least four hours. Is she alright? She didn't look so good earlier.

        My thoughts were interrupted by a blood-curdling scream. "Akiko-chan, Akiko-chan!" Miyuki slammed open the door screaming on the top of her lungs. Her voice was full of pain, desperation, fear. Three things I've never seen from her before. And never expected to.
        "Akiko! Akiko-chan!" She dashed across the room, making her way for the door. But she caught by Daikoku. She struggled against his grip. Thrashed her arms. Wailing and screaming. "Let me go, I need to see Akiko!" Tears streamed down her face. I rose to my feet, but there was nothing I could do.
        "There's no way you can go out in this condition. The Phantoms would consume you in this state," Daikoku told her. But she continued to flail and scream against his protests.
        "Mi-chan, what's wrong?"
        "Who's Akiko-chan?" The only one not saying anything was Yato.
        "Let go of me! She needs me!" I wanted to help, but there was nothing I could say. It took at least an hour for her to settle down, and even then she was crying. She dropped to her knees, sobbing heavily and breathing deep. After a few minutes longer Daikoku released her and backed away.
        "Miyuki, what happened?" I asked, kneeling beside her. My hand reached for her head, and slowly it pulled down. I continued to pet her and her breathing began to calm.
        "I remember," she choked out. "Akiko, my parents, the festival, everything. And glass wasn't all that shattered that night."

(Your POV)

        "Alright, that's enough for today!" you announced. Your fellow students dispersed from the cleaned up classroom, everyone dressed up in cafe uniforms. By your side was Akiko, now at the age of nine. Her hair was neatly pulled back into a ponytail, like every other day. She wore a matching uniform and helped Dai greet the costumers at the door. Your class has been preparing for your festivity in the cultural festival. You were in charge of pulling everything together. While it was a lot of work, it seemingly paid off. You had many more customers than expected, all of which seemed to enjoy themselves. Everyone working received tons of compliments and you were surprisingly only given positive feedback. Then again, you were always one to make sure everything was perfect and then some.
        All that was left to do was go home. Akiko's had grasped onto yours and the two of you wore grins from ear to ear. The past few days had been peaceful and full of fun. Neither of you had been home as much- you were too busy working together at your school, helping out with the cafe. But when you got home, everything changed.

        You closed the front door and walked into the living room, laughing with Akiko, but your laughter ceased as you spot your drunken father swaying back and forth. A pile of empty bottles laid on the floor, and one in his hand. You looked over at Akiko, as if to tell her to go to your room as she usually had. You then looked up at your father who staggered in your direction. "Where have you girls been this late?" he asked, slowly creeping closer.
        "We've been at the school helping out. I told you that we would be this morning," you answered, careful with your tone.
        "At school? You shoulda been home! School ended hours 'go!" his voice was slurred and all you could smell was the stench of alcohol.
        "We had to help with the cultural festival." You felt a tug at your side, your eyes widening at the sight of Akiko still there. "Akiko, go to our room!"
        "I don't want to leave you this time!" she choked out.
        "Akik-" You were interrupted by a slug to the face.
        "You girls shoulda been home hours 'go! And where were ya both? School. School!" You took another swing to the face. Akiko's grip tightened and you raised your arms to defend yourself.
        "Akiko, get out of here!" She merely whimpered and shrunk back, but didn't dare to leave.
        "Like you don't waste enough time in school? Like ya don't waste enough a money-
our money- on school?" Your father thrashed his fists at your arms, backing you against the wall. And Akiko followed.
        "Stop!" you pleaded.
        "Stop? You wan' me ta stop? You's the one that shoulda stopped. Shoulda stopped going ta school, that what ya shoulda stopped!"
        "Akiko's not leaving! No, she can't watch this! Dad, stop!" But nothing stopped. Not your father's soaring fists, not your pleas and not Akiko's screams. It all continued. He went to swing at Akiko a few times, but you blocked them. There was one last thing you heard.

        Crash!

        "Finally something stopped. It wasn't the tears streaking down my or my sister's face. It wasn't the screams. It was my breathing. My life was taken by my father in front of my little sister's eyes. I saw her fear. I smelt the alcohol. I heard the shouting. I felt the burning sensation in my arms and face. And I remember- I remember the bottle my father held in his hand smashing against the back of my head. And that was it. Glass wasn't all that shattered that night. Our family. The promises I made. And the last bit of innocence Akiko had left. It all shattered. I tried to hold it all together. I made Akiko promise me to tell no one of our family's situation. I didn't want to get taken away from my parents. They're good people. Good people with lousy ways of handling stress. But others wouldn't know how they were before. They wouldn't know the sweet, caring parents that I knew. They wouldn't know of the laughs we shared, the smiles we had, the time we spent together. We would have been pried away,
        "I tried to be the glue. To deal with everything on my own. I told Akiko to leave whenever my father was like this. I would comfort her every night and do the best I could to make her have as nice of a childhood as she could. My father would never remember the beatings he gave and my mother was never there to witness them. They weren't aware of their bad habits. And I kept it that way. Each morning they would be the same parents I knew, and they would be shattered if they knew what happened. So I covered my bruises with make-up and kept quiet. I didn't want everything to shatter. I didn't want us to shatter. But we did. Long ago. And I should've known glue wouldn't hold us together. I wasn't enough. And now Akiko has to live with witnessing my death, my mother has to live with never being home to stop it and my father has to live with knowing he killed his own daughter. All because I said nothing."

        You sat on the floor with images flooding your mind. "Miyuki," Yukine spoke in a soft voice.
        "We should give her some time alone," Yato announced. Footsteps headed in different directions and doors closed. When it was silent you felt a hand finally lift from your head and Yukine exited, leaving you alone.

        Shattered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.3K 3.2K 32
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024
859K 45.5K 32
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
198K 8.4K 59
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐢'𝐝 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞-𝐛...
268K 5.8K 32
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.