The First Promise

There is some swearing in this chapter, too. And violence. You've been warned. But again, I wouldn't recommend skipping it. Let me know if it feels realistic or not and if I skip around too much or not.

----------

        "Nee-chan, where are mommy and daddy?" asked the younger version of Akiko. "They haven't been fighting as much, but mommy's rarely home. And daddy should've been home hours ago." Akiko sat beside you on your bed. Her hands fumbled with her nightgown and you could hear the exhaustion in her voice.
        "Mom got another job, Akiko-chan. She's busy with work. And dad-" You paused and thought it over. This would be the first time he would be coming home late, and it wasn't just a mere five-minutes late. You bit your lip, scrambling your mind for a six-year-old-appropriate answer. "He must have gotten held up at work, is all. Or maybe he got another job, too. I'll let you sleep with me tonight, alright? Now, go brush your teeth, Akiko-chan." The child nodded and walked out of your room. After a few minutes of silence you heard a door close from far off. You started pulling down the sheets of your bed, but froze upon a sound reaching your eardrums.
        A blood-curdling scream.

        You dashed out of your room and into the bathroom, but stopped at the sight. There was one thing that caught your eye. A deep red hand-print on Akiko's cheek. "You damn child! You're mother and I were fine before you came along. And now you're entering school, making life more stressful for us! Like we don't have enough on our hands!" You couldn't move. This behavior you have never expected from your father. Your parents were always caring and reasonable. It took a minute for you to take it in. But once he raised his hand again, you found your ability to move. You ran in front of Akiko just in time to take a smack to the side- enough to make you lose your balance.
        "Akiko, get out of here!" you yelled.
        "But-"
        "Go!" You watched Akiko run, until you took a hit the head, blurring your vision.
        "And it's not just her. Damn children! Your mother and I were fine, but now we have to worry about your schooling on top of everything else! You children are just a waste of time and money." You lifted your arms to block his flying fists. Your body trembled all over. The shouting killed your ears and your arms were screaming for a break. Tears were burning your eyes and fear rushed throughout your body. You took a slug to the face and were yanked up to your feet by your hair. You managed to see a blurred version of your father, hearing his heavy breathing. But then it hit you. The smell of alcohol.
        "You worthless shit," he muttered under his breath and slammed you back onto the floor, full force. He staggered out of the room, leaving you there to curl up in a ball and drench your nightgown. It felt like hours before you were once again able to steady your breathing and control your trembles. You rose back to your feet and looked in the mirror. With a brush in your hand you tackled your now messy hair. You had to make yourself presentable. To help calm Akiko. After brushing your teeth and wiping your final tears, you reentered your bedroom. Akiko was curled up in a ball under the covers with tears rushing down and a still reddened cheek.
        "N-Nee-chan," she whispered in a shaky voice.
        "It's alright, Akiko. I'm fine," you lied, slipping into bed.
        "I told you it's my fault."
        "It's not, Akiko. Dad just had a bad day and had a bad drink that made him say things he didn't mean. Don't blame yourself. Just close your eyes, it's late." You pulled her closer and gave her a reassuring smile, allowing your hand to stroke her hair until her eyes became too heavy. And soon, yours were too.

        Your eyes opened and the sound of little kids playing became audible. It was a quiet, morbid morning. You sat near the window, watching rain pour down. "Kichi." You were shocked to see Kazuma- you hadn't even heard the door open. "Breakfast is prepared."
        "Kazuma? Why was Bishamon's Regalia killed?"
        "Because she gave her blight,"he answered without emotion.
        "Who was her Regalia?" A hint of confusion appeared on his face.
        "You don't remember?"
        "What do you-"
        "It's rude to keep the others waiting." You sat there, continuing to stare at him for a few minutes longer before finally standing up and following him out to the table. Everyone was already sitting, everyone but one person. Bishamon.
        Breakfast was quiet and much less lively than usual. You weren't sure if it was just your extra sorrowful attitude or Bishamon's absence, but something was different. Yet another unfortunate change had occurred. When breakfast was finished you crept back into bed, wishing to end the questions shouting over each other in your head and save up energy for tonight.

        Your eyes cracked open to a lightened room. "Girls, it's time to get up." Your body tensed and you looked over to see your father in the doorway. His eyebrows were knit together. "Yori, how did you get that bruise?"
        "I bumped into something," you lied.
        "Must have been a hard hit. Are you alright?" You nodded in silence. "Alright... Well, make sure you get up. You have school this morning." As soon as the door closed you sat up and looked over at Akiko.
        "Why doesn't he remember?" Akiko asked, sitting up as well and staring at your darkened cheek.
        "The bad drink dad had- sometimes it makes people forget things. Akiko-chan, you can't tell anyone what happened. To you or to me. Mom and dad aren't bad people. They're still the same people as back then, they're just under a lot of pressure and have bad ways of dealing with it. But other people won't know that they're good people. So you can't say anything about it, alright?" She nodded. "If this happens again, I want you to run away. Go play with some friends or wait in my room, and don't say a word. I'll work hard in school so that I won't have to pay for college and in a few years get a good job to save up money. As soon as I can move out I'll take you with me. I won't let anything happen to you. I'll take care of you. I promise." You interlocked your pinky with hers. And with that, you both headed downstairs.