The Healer

By MISSCESANIA

Liliana West is a Healer from Sandovia. She was living her life peacefully until the son of a High Lord asked... More

The Day Everything Changed
Chapter 1: Chasing West
Chapter 2: Setting the Kindle
Chapter 3: The Start of Something New
Chapter 4: Comfortable
Chapter 5: A Knight and A Snake
Chapter 7: Bearing The Weight
Chapter 8: Company
Chapter 9: Ambush
Chapter 10: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 11: Officially Branded
Chapter 12: Day One Conflict
Chapter 13: Visitor
Chapter 14: Day Out
Chapter 15: Pay What You Owe
Chapter 16: The Warning
Chapter 17: I Trust You
Chapter 18: A Good Idea?
Chapter 19: Didn't See That Coming
Chapter 20: The Unexpected Guest
Chapter 21: Comfortable
Chapter 22: Stand up Against
Chapter 23: Sealed
Chapter 24: Duchess of Araenon
Chapter 25 : Surprisingly, Tea Helps
Chapter 26 : Shattered Pieces of The Past
Chapter 27 : Unexpected Pair-Up
Chapter 28 : To Protect
Chapter 29 : The Infiltration (Part I)
Chapter 30 : The Infiltration (Part II)
Chapter 31 : Hesitation
Chapter 32 : Long Live the Duchess
Chapter 33 : Home
Chapter 34 : Clear
Chapter 35 : The Promise
Chapter 36 : A Specter from The Past
Chapter 37 : The Pirate King
Chapter 38 : Truth
Chapter 39 : Judgement
Chapter 40 : Near the Coast
Chapter 41 : Attack
Chapter 42 : Right on Time
Chapter 43: Sacrifice
Chapter 44: The Beginning of an End
Chapter 45: Fated

Chapter 6: Hubris Prince

2.7K 141 13
By MISSCESANIA

THE CLANGS OF SWORDS, the sounds of punches and kicks, sweaty male bodies and the shining sun was what I get for a view in the veranda of my own room. Apparently, my veranda gets a perfect view of the courtyard where the Duke, the twins and the man I just healed from a snakebite last night, Davis Black, was practicing sword fighting. If this is what they do every day, then I can understand why they need a healer. I sighed.

I sipped on my tea and flipped the pages of my book. I have finished brewing the plants I got last night. I still need to do the finishing process and then it will be done.

* * *

Later that morning, I was right to stay in the clinic. Exene Magnussen came in.

"You seem to begin to feel comfortable here." he started as he sat on the sofa. 

"I did as you told me to, Your Grace," I said, standing up. 

He gave me a look. "Didn't I tell you to call me by my name?" 

"You did and I've thought about it and decided it would be disrespectful."

"Address me as you would of a fellow healer," he said as he opened a book I placed on the table. 

"You are a healer?" 

He closed the book and placed it back on the table. "I worked in a hospital before I became the Duke. I was a doctor. I gave Davis the antitetanus last night."

So that explains why Davis Black is so cool about going to a doctor because the doctor he's talking about lives in the same house.

"Then why would you need a healer? To be specific, your personal healer?"

"I am into modern medicine, you are into traditional ones. I must say I was impressed by your own made medicine when you treated my arm back then. That's when I decided, I must have this woman working for me." 

I shrugged. "Alright, Exene. Why have you come here? Is there anything I can help you with?" 

He raised his right arm. "I sprained my wrist." 

I could've retorted he can heal that by himself since he's a doctor anyway but I don't do that to my patients. Agad akong nagpunta sa kung saan ko nilalagay ang mga nilikha kong gamot. A poultice would be better. 

"I heard what happened last night." 

Hindi ako sumagot. Is he going to tell me how stupid I am for going into the forest like that at night? 

"Tomorrow, I'll ask men to start constructing the greenhouse." 

I whirled into his direction. "I can wait. No need to hurry. It was just minor trouble anyway. And besides, I have enough plants already so --" 

"The greenhouse is meant to be built anyway so why prolong it? And I don't want to hear you go into the forest again and put yourself in danger. I don't want to hear my healer getting into trouble or else..." he trailed.

I narrowed my eyes. "Or else what? Is that a warning?" 

"No. A reminder. Now, your patient is in deep pain because of a sprained wrist. Are you just going stand there?" 

Prick.

I sighed and attended to his wrist which was in fact covered with a brutal violet bruise.

"Where did you get this?"

"I was pretty sure you were watching us this morning. We were having a practice and Black hit my wrist."

"I was not watching you. You happened to practice in front of my room's veranda."

He shrugged, suggesting he does not believe it. I intentionally pressed the poultice harder on his bruise that he groaned a little.

"My healer apparently has a short temper."

"I am not your healer. I am everybody's healer."

Another shrug.

"Will you quit that?"

"Quit what?"

"Shrugging. It's annoying to watch."

"I don't know if you're stupid or is it your nature to talk back to your employer?"

"I talk back to arrogant people."

"I am a Duke, you know."

"And you told me to regard you like how I regard another healer, remember Exene?"

"You're witty. I can see why Emerich Sardon is after you like crazy."

"He likes to collect women, just like what I told you before. He's not into me because I am special or something. He probably wants a healer as a wife. He had a painter wife. There was also the dancer one—the one you see at clubs wearing only high heels—"

"That's interesting. Wearing only high heels, huh?"

Gusto ko siyang sapakin.

I sighed exasperatedly. "That's not the point! He collects women of all kinds and I don't want to be part of that collection. Even if they punish me or execute me, I won't allow it." I said and finished tying the poultice.

"So that's why you ran away? To Oregon?"

"It wasn't my plan to come here anyway. It's just that ..." I trailed and sighed.

"I went to the West after that night he told me about it. But then I found out I have become a wanted person in Sandovia. Everybody is looking for me to give me back to that asshole in exchange for a very generous ransom." I saw him examine the poultice I did on his wrist but I know he's listening.

"I was waiting for the ship to set sail to the North—"

"The North Court? Varsis City?"

"Not there. Not one outsider has seen Varsis City and lived to tell the tale."

"Maybe nobody ever attempted," he said as he looked at the map on the infirmary. It was there before I moved in and it kinda looks nice so I decided to keep it there on the wall. It's a world map.

"Anyway, I was going to set sail to Carnes. But some people recognized me on the posters and ran after me. So I went inside a cargo ship that led me here."

Tanging tango lang ang naging sagot niya before he stood and straightened his clothes. I was about to go back to the shelf when I felt his hand around my wrist. Agad din niya iyong binitawan nang tingnan ko iyon.

He cleared his throat, "Today's the festival. Want to roam around?"

I was about to say yes when I realized he's a Duke. When he goes into the town center, many people will pay attention to him. Will it be okay if they saw me with him?

"You're hesitating."

"Just you and me?" I asked. His eyebrow shot upward which made me instantly jealous. I've always wanted to raise my brow like that but I can't do it.

"Is there any problem with that?" He faced me fully, crossing his arms, scanning me with those sharp eyes.

I crossed my arms too. "I don't want to be branded as the Duke's 'woman' when they saw me with you."

He blinked and then laughed. He actually laughed. What's wrong with what I said? It's better to be cautious than suffer the consequences later.

"They'll know you're not when they see you."

My eyes immediately narrowed. "And what's that supposed to mean?"

He leaned dahilan para mapaatras ako. His eyes traveled down to my body. "That you're not my type." He leaned back, smirking before I could think of punching him.

I gave him a dirty look before I put my vials down and removed the apron I was wearing.

"Fine,"

"Fine what?"

"I'll go with you."

He eyed my clothes in silent question. I eyed him too while removing my hair tie and let my hair down on my back, combing it with my hands.

"I'm not changing clothes to match yours. I'm going out with these clothes."

"I wasn't saying anything."

"You were about to."

"Do you always talk back to people?"

"Only to arrogant people, remember?" I said before I walked out of the room. I heard him followed.

* * *

The streets were merrier than yesterday. People are scuttling around. I can hear vendors shouting discounts. To my surprise, nobody paid attention to him. He seems not to mind it though. He was calmly walking in the streets. Some people would bump into him and they would recognize him and they'd say sorry. Some would recognize him and would bow and say their greetings. But mostly are busy to pay us attention. I was glad about it.

Sometimes when I was walking too far from the Duke, men would come close and outright ask for my name. I've encountered the same situations before and know how to handle it smooth. But sometimes Exene would walk close to me enough to say that I am with him and nobody would bother come close. It saves me the bother, I must say and I was thankful for it.

"You look like you're used to situations like that." He muttered after one guy came close and asked for my name. I looked at him.

"What situations?"

"Guys hitting on you." He said as he brushed something from his coat.

"There's a lot of them back home."

"That means you're attractive." He gave me a sideways glance and a small smile. I narrowed my eyes.

"The last time we were talking, you were explicitly telling me I'm not your type."

"I was just saying you're attractive," he paused and faced me. "That does not change the fact that you're not my type."

I wonder what's going on in that arrogant mind of his. I put my hands on my hips and leaned forward to his face. "I am not, absolutely not, and will never try to fit with your type of woman."

He shrugged as if suggesting me to do whatever I want.

"Have you always been a prick?" I asked out of my frustration.

"Heard that many times." He said as a matter of fact.

"You'll probably hear more if you continue to stick to me."

He gave me a sideways glance with a smirk on his face.

"Indulge me."

Napapikit ako ng mariin at naunang naglakad. He's unbelievable. I heard him gave a throaty chuckle dahilan para mapalingon ako sa kanya. I gave him a look and he started walking towards me. I was very well aware of the attention he's hoarding but he seems not to care about it. Not that I care about it too.

"Are you uncomfortable?" He asked and I looked at him.

"I was uncomfortable since the very beginning. Don't you think it's too late to ask that?"

I heard him chuckle. "I should remember that you're used to getting attention yourself."

Before I could even mutter a reply, I was cut off by a shout far ahead from us. I know Exene heard it too as he was already rushing towards the commotion. Great. I stalked—ran after him.

People were already gathering around the cause of commotion and then I saw it. A girl, probably not older than twelve is sitting on the ground, crying.

"This girl is a fraud. I already paid the things I bought but she still asked for payment." A man, bald on the head but bearded man, hauled the girl up using her dress' collar. I was about to run and stop it when an arm stopped me. Exene. He walked closer.

"Do you think I am stupid—"

"You did not pay. My brother can tell everybody too. If there's a fraud here, it's you!"

"You bitch!" He raised his arm and was about to slap the girl when Exene stopped him, holding the man's arm with his uninjured hand. I am hardly surprised by how he does it. 

"Haven't you heard in this city, hitting a woman is considered a very shameful crime. You could end up marching this whole city without any clothes with a dog leash on your neck. Unless you have a valid reason to do so. So, pray tell, what is your reason for hitting this poor little girl." He said it with dark humor that I felt a shiver ran down my spine. 

"Who the hell are you?" The bald man said yanking his arms from Exene's grip. He let go of the girl too causing her to fell right into the ground. I ran to help her. 

"I'm guessing you're a tourist here. Anyway, I don't want any commotion here. Just pay the girl." Exene said coolly and put his hands on his pockets as if doing so will prevent me from seeing how he clenched his fist and how he itches to punch this man right in the face.

"Why the hell would I do that? Who are you to tell me what to do?" The man was seething. I don't know why he hasn't attacked Exene yet. But when I looked at the Duke, I understood why. Exene was just standing but he was standing in a scary calm stance, exuding a calm yet dangerous aura--a thing powerful men like him could pull off. He may be lacing his words with humor but the bald man is smart enough to know that Exene is serious.

"Ah. That. God, I really hate to introduce myself." He whispered but enough for her to hear. "I am the Duke of this city. Now, was that enough? Pay the girl or I'll have your head."

"You're kidding me."

"Unfortunately for you, no. I'm not kidding. Pay the girl. Now, let's not waste time here. I'm not particularly fond of collecting bald heads." 

To her surprise, the bald man just laughed. He threw his paper bag full of apples and ran to Exene's direction. Everything happened too fast. Too fast that I wasn't even able to shout for Exene to watch out. Words died in my mouth as I watched the bald man slowly fell down on the ground, clutching his stomach, eyes wide. When I look at Exene he had one of his feet up. Did he just knee the man in the stomach? 

"That was a waste of energy," Exene muttered, rather bored. 

"What will you do with him now?" I asked as I looked around. People were clapping their hands to their Duke. Exene wasn't particularly fond of the attention. He looked at the man and crouched down, holding out his palm. 

"Payment, now."

The man reached for his pockets, hardly able to move his arms. His face was red, either from fury or pain, I don't know. He handed Exene the money and  Exene let out that sarcastic smile and stood up. I helped the girl stand up, she's not crying anymore but a streak of tears is still visible on her face. She muttered her thanks and went back to her stall. 

"I should really have guards right here." 

"You don't have guards?" He's a Duke. He should have guards, right?

"We can handle it just with ourselves but I think I need some. Maybe twenty or so." He said thoughtfully. Women, who were watching the commotion earlier are still there, swooning over their Duke. I can't blame them. The Duke has fine genes, I must say. His dark hair, slightly tousled by the wind, was long, almost covering his eyes. He has a tan complexion, probably because of their habit of practicing whatever they want to practice under the sun. And his eyes were a deep set of brown, almost golden, and they are staring right back at me. I almost jumped.

"Is there something wrong with my face?" He asked. I shook my head and nodded towards the group of girls behind him.

"They're gawking at you," I said at agad naman siyang lumingon sa mga babae. Hindi na ako nagulat when he waved at them and showed them his 'ever dashing' smile as what most women would describe.

I rolled my eyes. This man is the exact opposite of humble. He's the epitome of arrogance. I heaved a deep breath.

Not that I care, anyway.

* * *

A/N: I've been busy reading stuff, so, sorry for the late update. Enjoy! Vote and comment! ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 71.7K 47
Eerrah Ferrer loves causing trouble to the extent, sending students to Hospital does not bother anymore in order to get another expulsion from her cu...
17.1K 667 52
She was young when she was separated from her father. Until the day comes when the father and daughter meet again. And she will meet a man who captiv...
14.7K 600 60
Living without knowing the mystery residing about the past was like living in the world with a blind eye. So, the search for the missing pieces of m...
25.8K 1.3K 42
For some reason, Ciara, the goddess of Death left the Abadon or known as the lower realm and went up into the Mortal realm. She was hoping for a new...