Behind Boleyn

By traci_edmunds

Millie has her eyes set on the destruction of Christianity after witch hunts left her bereft. Years of movin... More

I - Millie
II - Every Girl Has Her Charms
III - Love, Angst, Heart of Stone
IV - Scattered
V: England
VI - Favours
VII - Essence of the Moon
VIII - Engagements, Engagements...Oh, the Boleyn Girls!
IX - Little Boy Blue
X - Secret Engagement
XI - Spells Broken
XIII - Lady-In-Waiting
XIV - Queen Catherine of Aragon
XV - Walking Into Walls.
XVI - Getting to the King
XVII - To Bite the Hand that Feeds You
XVIII - Magical Dusting
XIX - Dawn of New Beginnings
XX - Balancing a Broken Heart
XXI - The Letter
XXII - Power In The Blood
XXIII - Checkmate

XII - Indulgences! Indulgences for Sale!

125 19 63
By traci_edmunds

Whisperings of high tithes and fees for prayers reverberated through the poorer crowd as Millie entered the church. These mutterings were music to Millie's ears. They weren't complaints so much as moans of despair.

Frequent trips to town, and specifically to local churches kept Millie in touch with the people who would, perhaps, matter the most in her plotting. Those in power, of course, were important. However, having the will of the masses could play a vital role in things to come. She listened closely to the conversations between parishioners and priests.

"But Father, my husband was a devout Catholic man. We were here in church every Sunday. He made regular confessions. How can he be in purgatory?" This from a woman dressed in little more than rags.

"A week had passed since his last confession, Gertrude. I'm sorry to say that his soul is stuck indeed."

"I have little left, Father, and young children to account for."

"Alas, I cannot give indulgences for nothing," the priest whispered with a sympathetic expression.

Millie barely stifled a snort. What utter nonsense, she thought with disdain. But, I suppose fear of eternal burning is a powerful motivator. She wondered what it was like to live with such a terrifying belief about one's after-life every second of every day. Look what could happen if you died at the wrong moment. She watched on as the woman slumped, handing the priest her precious coins. They jingled as they exchanged hands. Like stealing from a wee lamb.

"Will this be enough?" the woman swallowed a sob as she asked, desperation in her eyes.

"I will see what I can do," the priest said as he put the coins in the folds of his cassock.

Sure, until next week, thought Millie, when the poor soul has a penny more.

This was not the only such conversation happening within the community chapel. There were a few priests about the space talking with grieving families. It was despicable. Millie spat on the church stairs as she left the building and headed to the market place.

Up ahead, Millie noticed a crowd and wandered over to it. A man was standing in the middle handing out pamphlets. She took one as it was handed to her and tucked it into her skirts. To be seen accepting one of these papers would not do. Indeed, she was certain it was an article of heresy. She would dispose of it as soon as her eyes took in the information upon it.

With hot hands, she unfolded the paper once she reached a secluded part of the town and it took a moment for her mind to understand what her eyes read. A certain Martin Luther was preaching against the very thing she had just witnessed. And more besides. Here was a priest who wanted more power for the people when it came to their god. Well, it's a start, I suppose, Millie thought with a shrug.

Letting the paper blow away in the wind, Millie carried on back towards the castle. She had heard enough misery out here with the commoners. It was some satisfaction that there was a growing unease that could be felt within the masses. Hopefully, it will grow in time, she thought with some resignation.

As she passed through the castle gates hurried whispers lead her to one of the many gardens within the palace walls. It was Wolsey, of all people, speaking with James Butler. They were focused on one another, sharing a rather heated exchange. With absolute discretion, she sat on a bench behind a shrub easily out of sight as she listened in on the conversation taking place.

"I cannot go through with it," James was saying.

"Do you know what I went through to make that arrangement happen?" the Cardinal demanded. He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Think of it as a good deed. Perhaps one Boleyn woman will be saved the disgrace of becoming an absolute whore of England."

James let out a whistling breath. "Good deed, Cardinal? This is my life we are talking about."

"You said you loved her, James. What I am to do?" Wolsey shot back.

James began to shake. "I had arrangements of my own! I...don't know what happened. It was as if I saw her and nothing else existed."

Millie smiled at this, for it was true. Nothing else had existed for James Butler. Only her Anne.

"Yes, well," the Cardinal sighed in exasperation, "be that as it may, the king has given the match his blessing. Unless something changes within the king's heart, you will have to follow through with the marriage."

The king's heart? Millie froze at the words. The king's heart.

A sniff brought her attention back.

"But Joan is heartbroken." Another sniff. "I...am heartbroken."

The Cardinal was silent for some time as James continued to snivel. Millie shook her head in contempt. How do these people rise in power? she asked herself in some disbelief.

Finally, Wolsey put his hand on James' shoulder. "Pull yourself together, James. For the love of God, people can't see you crying like a child. Over what? A woman, for Heaven's sake?" Wolsey shook his head. "I will see what I can do, James. But you best prepare yourself for these nuptials. I will do my best, but I don't see a way out of this."

James let out a sob and a loud sniff. He was nodding his head and was obviously working hard to get his emotions under control.

"What am I to tell Joan?"

"Tell her to get over it. People of your station do not marry for love," Wolsey said, his frustration with James growing. "You will wed Anne, and I'm sure Joan will have her own nuptials. Then the two of you can do what everyone in England does, and sleep with whomever you please. It's not that complicated."

James looked taken aback. "What?" He paused as the Cardinal's words sunk in. "Are you suggesting that I break my vows? I mean, I know people do...but you're a priest..."

"And a realist, James. People do what they must to survive. Confess your sins and ensure you leave your family enough money to pay for your Indulgence. You have nothing to fear; men such as yourself do not go to Hell," the priest used a conciliatory voice, trying to ease the conscience of the man before him.

Millie could see James nodding from the corner of her eye, which rolled after she heard the Cardinal's words. He was smooth, she had to give him that.

Figuring there was little more to hear from this conversation, Millie quietly got up and continued her walk towards the servants' stairs. Anne would be rising and she enjoyed their morning talks. As she rounded a corner, she saw a maid carrying some food towards Anne's rooms. With barely a word, she relieved the woman of the load and carried it into her lady's chamber.

"Time to rise, Anne," Millie sang as she entered the room with breakfast. She was met with a giggle that could only mean one thing. "Anne?" She watched the bed sheets rustle, clearly, two bodies were underneath the covers. "Anne! What is the meaning of this?" Millie quickly put the tray down and ran to the bed. "Anne, I barely made it in here before another servant of lower station. All would be lost!"

Finally, Henry Percy poked his head out of the sheets, looking sheepish.

Millie's eyes narrowed and her lips pursed in disgust. "Oh, it's you. Why are you still here? Are you trying to ruin everything?"

"Of course not," he said with a smile.

"We are going to find a way to wed," Anne whispered, still beneath the covers.

Millie gave a low chuckle. "Of course," she soothed, "But until that time comes, you cannot be seen like this. I'm shocked that you would risk such exposure."

"Maybe it would move things along faster," Anne suggested.

"The only thing it would do is anger powerful people. The king has plans, and until those plans change, you two must follow your scripts, as it were. Do as you're told. Gain the king's favour. It's not so hard. People of your station do it all of the time."

Henry raised his eyebrows from the bed and looked down at Anne. "You're right, she is a force to be reckoned with!"

"I know. But she's always correct in her words. You must leave without being seen. And quickly, I imagine."

"Imagine, indeed. You are acting like a couple of amateurs." Millie huffed with some frustration.

Getting Henry out of the room unseen would not be easy at this time of day. In the early hours of the morning, perhaps others would turn a blind eye. But it was nearing noon and the castle was beginning to bustle. The gossip would be unmanageable if it started.

Millie eyed the window. They were two stories up where they were and bushes swayed in the gentle breeze below. It was not unreasonable for him to go that way since they overlooked a deep pond. No eyes would see him fall.

Henry followed her gaze and gasped as her plan dawned on him. "Uhh...you aren't serious."

A smile slowly pulled at Millie's lips as she turned her eyes to him. Without ceremony, Millie pulled him from the bed. "Where are your clothes?" she demanded.

Henry suddenly looked alarmed, his wide brown eyes filled with panic as he tried to find his clothes and watch Millie at the same time. He was a strong man, but also chivalrous. He was both shocked at Millie's actions and her strength. With shaky limbs, he gathered his clothing from beside the bed and bent over to put his pants on. Unfortunately for Henry, he was very close to the open window and Millie took the opportunity.

Muttering a spell softly under her breath so that no one would hear, Millie gave a quick flick of her finger in Henry's direction. His foot got caught in his pant leg and he began to tumble towards the window. One more push should do the trick, Millie thought as she flicked her fingers once more, repeating the spell under her breath. And with that, Henry did fall through the opening.

"Henry!" Anne gasped as she jumped out of the bed.

Millie sensed that in this moment all could be lost with Anne. If Henry were to die in his fall, Anne might not be the same. She bit the inside of her cheek as she summoned a great deal of the moon's essence into her hands and released it in Henry's direction. As if a gust of wind had come by, Henry veered slightly and fell into the pond below.

"Oh, thank Heaven's!" Anne said as she sagged with relief. She turned from the window to look at her maid.

Their eyes met - Anne's fiery, Millie's cool and collected. Anne knew who had the real power in the room.

"I won't do that again," she said with a slight quiver in her voice.

"I would say so," Millie said firmly with a lifted brow. "Let us remember that you are a woman of French upbringing. For goodness sake, no French lady would ever be caught in such a position!"

Anne nodded and had the decency to look chagrined. "You're right."

"Now then, let's forget this ever happened. What would you like to wear today?" Millie turned around and without another word, she got a dress for Anne to put on. As she hung it on the privacy screen, she saw Anne watching out the window. "He will be fine," Millie whispered.

Anne turned to nod at her friend. "I know." Then she broke into a slight smile. "It was a rather ridiculous sight."

Millie smiled back. "He tried so hard to get his pants on."

"He almost had them...except his foot..." Anne's smile was broader now.

"Now, now, Anne. The poor man must be a sight."

"He's lucky he didn't die."

"Yes. He's lucky, indeed." Millie said with a tight smile. Millie walked over to the window to watch Henry as he pulled himself out of the pond. She let out a chuckle. He waved up at her and ran off into the castle once more.

Millie had her work cut out for her.

~~

A/N Hi! Thank you so much for reading another chapter! Things are about to get interesting! :) If you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to vote  - and comment, too, if you like! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 305 21
Journey into the madness of Wonderland. Embark on an incredible adventure with the friends (and enemies) you make along the way. With The Cheshire Ca...
3.6K 155 34
"He is more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. He's always, always in my mind. Not as a pleasure to myself...
24 1 45
In this epic story, you'll meet dangerous dragons, vicious villains, and hellishly helpful heroes. Several of the characters in this story will be bo...
8.6K 81 26
what if the then duke of York fell in love with the rightful heir of Dutchbergland ? what if he loved her more than he love himself ? what if he wa...