III - Love, Angst, Heart of Stone

"Here she is now," Claude gushed as Anne approached her in the garden. She and her other ladies sat in a shaded part of the area with servants holding parasols to block the sun that was already filtered by the nearby trees. Still, one must maintain appearances. A small group of lords gathered off to the side, talking quietly among themselves.

Anne smiled graciously at her dear friend. "Your Highness, such a pleasure to see you this morning."

"Is it still morning, Anne?" Claude teased. "You must have stayed up late entertaining with your many talents. I hear you beat a duke in the game of chess!"

The ladies in waiting tittered and Anne gave a chuckle herself. She had, indeed, had a few good games of chess in addition to dice the preceding evening... among other things. "Yes, well, your Highness, I've had some wonderful teachers, as it were."

"Indeed," smiled the Queen, as her hand grazed the cross at her neck. Claude motioned toward the group of men who tried to look disinterested in Anne's arrival. "Look there," Claude whispered to Anne. "Quite the gathering of gentlemen for tonight's festivities. A few just arrived this morning."

Anne followed Claude's gaze. Indeed, there were a number of new faces in addition to those more familiar.

Claude beckoned to the men. "Here, here, gentlemen. Come and let me introduce you to my Lady in Waiting. I could speak of her virtues all day long... alas, it is nearing noon."

The men chuckled good-naturedly as they approached the ladies in the shade. Many eyes darted to Anne and then back to the queen.

"This is Anne Boleyn of England. Her father, Thomas Boleyn, serves the treasury of King Henry. And of course, her mother, Lady Elizabeth, is a lady in waiting for my friend, Queen Catherine. Anne has been with us here in France for a number of years now and she is an integral part of my household." Here Claude took Anne's hand and gently stroked its back.

Anne smiled at her friend as she took a knee and kissed Claude's hand in return. There was a deep admiration in Anne's heart for this queen, who had shown her kindness countless times. They enjoyed a unique friendship in a world at court, which was full of intrigue and silver-tongued liars. Their eyes met and their heads bowed to one another.

"It is a pleasure, indeed, to meet a lady spoken so highly of by our gracious Queen," one of the men offered.

"Anne, please meet James Butler, a lord joining us from Ireland."

"Butler?" Anne questioned with a squint in one eye. "I believe we are cousins, in fact, Your Majesty." Anne smiled as Lord Butler nodded with a laugh. "While we have never met, I remember your name from my studies."

"Indeed, Anne, we are cousins. I am impressed that you remember. It is a rather distant relation."

"But my lord, how could I not remember a loose familial connection to one so handsome?" She knew that her eyes sparkled with mischief. She shifted her eyes more demurely to the ground, acknowledging that she had been bold.

James chuckled as he shook his head. "I can see why you find such pleasure with this lady, Your Majesty. She is quick-witted in addition to having a mind for the game of chess."

"Indeed, Lord Butler, indeed." Claude looked past James to some of the other newcomers. "Anne, have you had the pleasure of meeting Henry Percy? I believe he hails from your same town in England."

Anne's heart began to race and her body broke into an uncomfortable sweat. Still, her face remained the picture of polite interest. "Why, no, I do not believe we have been introduced." She searched the few faces that remained after James. She passed over Henry as if she had never laid eyes upon him. She was satisfied to see that his mouth rested in a tense line. His eyes seemed desperate to make contact with her own. Still, she denied him what he wanted most – some sort of acknowledgment. Her gaze returned to him only after he took a step forward.