XV - Walking Into Walls.

"Nothing is for sure yet, so stay calm, Anne," Millie began that morning.

"I like the sounds of this," Anne said as she ate some fruit from the breakfast tray. She was dressed and ready to start her day with the queen. It had been months, now, since Anne had joined the queen's inner circle. Slowly, but surely, Anne had worked to change the queen's gaze from one of disdain to one of pleasure. This had taken painstaking patience on Anne's part. She would like to be on friendly terms with the pious woman. Anne thought she seemed kind and generous.

"Yes, well, I do believe that some plans may be in the making for other arrangements to be made. It seems our dear James has gone to seek help from his father." After reading the note intercepted by Peter some time ago, Millie had put the letter back on the Cardinal's desk. No sense in raising suspicion so early in the game.

"I hope his father has more influence than my parents."

"I'm quite certain he does, seeing as how he is an earl. Convincing his own father is one thing; however, Wolsey and the king are quite another matter." Millie was sitting beside Anne as they shared a morning meal by the window. The birds sang in the trees below. Millie enjoyed the sun on her face. It was almost as pleasant as the moon's rays. "Have you met the king yet?"

"He has come into the queen's room a few times, but he has paid me no mind. I usually sit in the corner, playing the lute and singing. Barely more than background noise," Anne said flippantly.

"Perhaps it is time you get noticed, Anne."

Anne jerked in surprise. "Why?"

"It is possible that the king will be more likely to hear your pleas if you are on friendly terms with him," Millie suggested. "I hear the king grants favours to those who hold his attention."

Anne took these words in as she stared into the sky. She closed her eyes. Millie couldn't help but think that Anne looked rather sad at this suggestion.

"You don't have to do anything with his attentions other than hold them, Anne. Just entertain him with your charm and good wit. He has others to fulfill his... appetites."

"I quite like Catherine, Millie. I don't want to...tread in her garden, as it were."

"I'm not asking you to do that, necessarily...but if you are comparing this situation to the one with Claude, things here are a bit different. King Henry rewards those who impress and flatter him. He loves to love those who adore him."

Anne was still quiet in her contemplation.

"The queen knows what he is like, just as Claude knew her husband. But she also knows that her role is to bare him a male heir. That is her role and her honour. Nothing can take that away from her. What you seek is a pittance in comparison."

Anne tilted her head as she consideredMillie's words. She wanted nothing more than to have her Henry Percy. Perhaps it would help to have the king's ear. "A little harmless flirting? A kindness and a bit of humour?"

"That is all. Something to help move things along."

"Remember what happened when I did this with James Butler?" Anne asked.

"Well, yes, but the king is a married man, Anne. The most he can do is sleep with you."

"Could I say no?" Anne thought about the large king. He was much much larger than her. She couldn't imagine his body on top of hers. It would likely smoosh her to death! Besides, she did not find his red hair very appealing.

"To a king? Only if you are very sly about it, my dear. You will have to play to innocence...or perhaps toa renewed sense of dedication to god."

Anne took this in too, like everything else they had spoken of.