XI - Spells Broken

The hustle and bustle of the castle excited Anne more than anything else. Her parents had been right. English court was quite different from the French one. Always, things were happening. There were knights jousting, having sword fights, drinking, dancing, and singing...the activity never ended. Of course, England was involved in more than one war and the people lived life to its fullest when they could.

Tonight there was a full ball that everyone would attend and Anne was excited to dance the night away with her darling, Henry Percy. He had followed her family here and sought her attentions almost every night, drawling his poems to swoon her. And his romantic efforts are well rewarded, she thought with a sly smile.

There were several intrigues about the court and Anne felt badly for King Henry VIII's Queen Catherine, who did well to ignore his covert flirting and chasing. It was almost as if she didn't mind. She doted on the princess and paid no mind to her husband's philandering. Anne wasn't sure, but she thought her sister had the king eating from her hand. Tonight would tell.

Mary's wedding had gone as smoothly as possible and she had looked beautiful, even if she had cried as she repeated the vows to her new husband. It was painfully clear that this was not a match she had wanted, but she carried through with it as any good woman would. Anne scoffed at the thought; she guessed that she was not a 'good woman'. She would do anything before she would marry a man she didn't choose. Luckily for her, she had Millie on her side. Briefly, she wondered where things stood with her own betrothal. She would have to ask Millie tomorrow as she got dressed for breakfast.

She looked around now at all of the noblemen and women as the band prepared to play. Anne watched from the side as the king prepared to dance with her sister. Shocked surprised caused Anne to cover her mouth as the two began to dance. It was no wonder the King had arranged for Marry to wed his right-hand-man. It kept her close to his side as well. The fact that King Henry was dancing with her now instead of his wife was more insult than Anne thought any Queen should have to bare.

Alas, Queen Catherine watched on with a smile plastered on her face. She nodded to her husband as she stroked the hair of their daughter. No doubt, she would use the girl later as an excuse to leave the ball. She often withdrew into her chambers early on nights such as these.

As the King and Mary danced to the music, Anne searched the crowd for her own Henry. She saw him across the room speaking with a pretty noblewoman and fought to push down a flare of jealousy. The other woman was laughing and stroking his arm. Anne's own mouth set firmly as she started to make her way over.

As she approached someone took hold of her elbow and gently turned her around. Before her very eyes, James Butler appeared with a large grin on his face.

"Surprise!" he said with a laugh.

Anne was lucky enough to recover herself with a smile of her own. "Why, Mr. Butler, surprise indeed." She raised her hand to his shoulder and gave a quick squeeze. She hadn't seen him since she had been told of their betrothal.

"Mr. Butler? Surely, you can call me James, given our current situation," he said with shining eyes.

Anne could think of no response in that moment and just smiled indulgently. "Shall we dance?"

"I would love to," he responded as he took her hand and lead her to the floor. And so they danced, and Anne could admit that he was a lovely dancer. Still, her eyes strayed to Henry as he continued to speak with the woman. They were still laughing. She bit her lip and wondered what in the world could have them laughing for such a long time.

"When do you think we will end up getting married?" James asked, drawing her eyes back to him.

"Why I haven't heard a date yet, have you?"