The Girl with the Changewing...

By MiniDragonRen

Only the figure's eyes were visible, the rest hidden by a changewing cloak. Hiccup's jaw dropped as he realiz... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty one
Twenty two
Twenty three
Twenty four
Twenty six
Twenty seven
Twenty eight
Twenty nine
Thirty
Epilogue and Author's Note

Twenty five

1.2K 41 42
By MiniDragonRen

Hiccup's POV

I handed Freya her cloak and ignited Inferno. Several soldiers turned to me in surprise.

Leaping forwards, I attacked the closest one. The hunter lunged, scowling. He drew back and countered. With each movement the metal armour clinked. I slashed at his sword and cut the blade. I knocked him unconscious.

A small crowd had gathered. Soldiers and dragons were sparring, claws and metal slicing at each other. Dragons fell at the hands of dragon root. Gustav was fighting beside me, his hands gripped tightly around whatever weapon he could find. Between the chaos, I could just about make out silvery lines of changewings.

Someone threw an axe at me and I ducked. I jumped around, finding the assaulter. He narrowed his eyes and approached with a mallet. I lunged but he raised the metal. I took a step back, avoiding a swipe. His movements were slow and strong, like a bear. Gritting my teeth, I spun, swinging Inferno. He rolled to the side. I rushed forwards, but he kicked my stomach and I was thrown back.

A large hand grabbed my shoulder. My eyes widened and I thrashed desperately, stabbing backwards. I missed.

"Aaargh!"

The grip on me weakened and the soldier dropped down.

"Hiccup!" Astrid grabbed her axe from where the hunter's shield lay and pulled me into a hug. I relaxed, a smile forming on my face. A nearby roar cut the moment short.

Astrid darted from beside me with her signature battle cry. She swung her axe as fast as a speed stinger, disarming hunters. Snotlout and Stormfly followed her, attacking the hunters fearlessly.

Black scales appeared beside me with a slight purr. I grinned at Toothless. The whole team had arrived, fighting across the ship. Eyes narrowing in determination, I stared Ryker dead in the eye. I tightened my grip on Inferno, I stepping towards him.

Ryker began to laugh.

One by one the soldiers stopped. I could no longer hear metal clashing or jaws snapping: we had all turned to the cackling madman standing on the throne.

Freya was visible, no longer hiding in her cloak. Her eyes narrowed as Swiftstrike stood beside her.

But my attention was on Ryker.

He wiped a tear from his eye, slowly stopping his laughing. "You really think you can defeat me? Me, with my army of hypnotized dragons just waiting for the command? INTRUDERS!"

There was a horrific roar as the previously docile dragons recognised the signal. Thunderous bangs echoed through the ship. Metal doors were swung open as the hunters reached the cells.

"Chances of survival have reached single digits now," Fishlegs murmured.

"To the sky!" I ordered, leaping onto Toothless. Freya and Swiftstrike vanished and the Dragon Riders mounted their dragons.

Toothless and Skullcrusher fired at the dragon root weapons as everyone rushed back through the tight exit. We hurried after them, reaching the wider corridor.

It was chaos. Dragons were charging at dragons without a second thought in mad scramble. A wall of dragons blocked the exit, firing down on the battle. Dragon Hunters below were shooting at us, only just missing.

"Hiccup!" Dad called, flying over. "We need a plan."

I nodded. "We need to get Swiftstrike out - then Ryker can't rehypnotise anyone. The-"

"Where's the Dragon Eye?" Astrid shouted, tackling a fuming monstrous nightmare.

"Doesn't matter. Ryker needs Swiftstike. We get her away from him."

??? POV

He did it. Boss actually used the code 'intruders'. This was bad, bad, bad-

My limbs grew heavy. My posture straightened. Frowning, I tried to raise my arm, but the hypnosis was stronger. A numbness spread from my toes, up my legs, from my fingers and to my chest. My neck stiffened and I opened my mouth to scream -

But nothing came out.

My vision blurred. I began moving - no, I was being moved. I watched, helpless, as I rushed to grab a a bow and dragon root arrows.

The dragons were waking up. Their cries shook the vessel, matching my own internal struggle. Others like me were opening their cells. Without hesitation, they took flight, storming to different positions. Half took a defensive position in a wall of fire and acid. The rest charged towards Boss' chamber, towards his call.

My arms raised and aimed at a Dragon Rider. He dodged, the monstrous nightmare snarling.

I wanted to scream, to resist, to fight back. My body betrayed me as I fought a battle for a monster, attacking the people who where trying to stop him.

I couldn't hear. I could barely see, my sight darkening.

Viggo woulldn't have done this...

There was a ringing in my ears.

Then everything went black.

**

Gustav's POV

I darted out of the captain quarter towards the dragon cages.

Please be here, please be here, please be here-

The hypnotized dragons were firing at me, but I used a dragon-proof shield to defend against them.

Before I could reach the last cages, a thunderdrum blocked my path. It opened its mouth, preparing a blast. I ran out the way. Growling, the dragon hurried after me. I tightened my grip on the stolen shield and faced it. It thundered forwards. My eyes narrowed. With each step the ground shook. I tensed, focusing. The thunderdrum charged, mouth wide.

Wait for it... now!

I pushed off. The jaws clashed shut beside me. I rolled, crawling away. It snarled and spun, thrashing its tail. I ducked. Furious, it fired. The blast hit me and I screamed. I was thrown back.

"Ow..."

I slowly stumbled up, clutching my side. The thunderdrum roared, turned and flew away.

I grit my teeth. "Guess I'm not that much of a threat, huh?" I took a step forwards but pain shot through my side. I gapsed, falling onto the wall.

"Was it that bad?" I muttured, moving slightly.

Before I could recover, I felt hot breath on my arm. Tensing, I turned. A large dragon - that had not left its cell - glared at me.

I grinned. "Fanghook! I was looking for y-" The smile dropped from my face as fast as it came. Fanghook didn't react; he just breathed on my neck. My brows furrowed and I twisted, despite the pain, to face him.

"What... what's wrong?"

No repsonse.

"Wait... you were hypnotised to be still? That has to be it! Is that why you don't look as grey?"

No response.

"All right buddy, stay easy there. I just need to give you a blow to the head, then you'll be all right." I grabbed the shield. "Sorry buddy."

There was a slight bang and he collapsed. I ran my fingers over his dry scales, noticing the lack of further deterioration.

"Gustav!"

I froze. Behind me, Snotlout was fuming.

He crossed his arms. "Now is not the time! Get your dragon and go help!"

I nodded. "Yes sir!"

**

Hiccup's POV

Toothless flew as fast as he could, making the sharp turns that only a night fury can. But the ship was too small for this many dragons to fly easily.

I studied the barricade of dragons at the end of the corridor. They hovered, firing at anyone who approached. There were two layers, the back replacing the front ones that got hit by a rare stray arrow.

I pulled at my hair. There was no way to get past them. They couldn't be distracted, bribed or trained due to the hypnosis. My eyes landed on Ryker. I narrowed my eyes. Surely, a man as self-centered as he is would rather let his enemies escape then to be captured.

"We need to make him feel threatened," I murmured. "He'd never let himself lose to Freya... I know you don't like her, but we need to find her now." Toothless grunted, but began to echolocate. When he found her, we shot forwards.

Before we could reach her, a monstrous nightmare dived at us. We rolled and fired but it blocked the blast with its wing. Its glossy eyes were fixed on Toothless. Growling, he shot twice, knocking the dragon back. It screeched, darting around, scratching at Toothless' wings. Toothless howled, smacking the monstrous nightmare in the face with his tail. It fell to the floor, wings wide.

"That was close," I murmured, catching my breath. Shaking himself slightly, Toothless continued flying towards Freya.

I could only see occasional glimpses of her face. Toothless caught up.

I leant forwards. "Wait Freya!"

She paused, turning to face me.

"I have a plan."

*

I scanned the battle desperately for Dragon Riders that could help Freya. She had just left to distract Ryker, but she wouldn't be able to take him on by herself.

"Astrid!" I called as Stormfly flew past. She turned towards me.

Her brow furrowed. "What's wrong?"

Hurrying towards her, I replied, "Help Freya scare Ryker. We need him to call off the dragon wall."

She paused. "Are you sure?"

"Not really, but its our only chance."

Astrid glanced towards the end of the ship. The dragons blocking the exit hadn't shifted at all.

"Wait... where are they?"

***

Eek! What will happen to Freya?

Will the Dragon Riders triumph?

What did you think of this chapter? I tried something new because I'm not very good at writing large scale battle scenes. Any constructive criticism would help!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 212 31
Hiccup is different. Everyone knows that. But what they don't know is just how different hiccup is. Hiccup is part dragon, not just any dragon, a Nig...
91.6K 3.2K 35
(Complete) When Hiccup and the others are on a mission to free dragons from dragon hunters, they encounter something they never thought they would. A...
41 2 4
You have likely seen it all before, Hiccup gets chosen to kill the Monstrous Nightmare but instead of staying to try and prove to his village dragons...
62.4K 1K 27
Yes, it's another one of these but I really wanted to do another one and hopefully better than the other one. "What if we left for good?" "What do yo...