The Run ©2014 Sydney Wray

By sydneywrayy

"Who the hell are you?" A boy demanded. He had tousled, chestnut hair. His green eyes were wide with confusio... More

The Run
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Saving Elliot
Revision
Sequel?
Cover Contest!
Exciting Things!! READ!!
Huge News!!

Chapter 18

70.7K 2.5K 828
By sydneywrayy

A/N: Updates are now changed to Monday, and Fridays! Enjoy the chapter.

"Because you know I'm all about that bass! 'Bout that bass, no treble!" I sang, as we cruised quickly down the never-ending highway. Nathaniel was grinning, and took my hand that was grasped into a fist and being used as a microphone.

The song blared in the background, and he waited till the chorus again. He started to sing, the ripples in his voice clearly taking effect. "Because you know I'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble!" I laughed, as I watched him sing into my hand.

I reached over and scrolled the dial down, the music slowly softening. He was still smiling, as he put his arm once again on the steering wheel.

I studied his flawless features, and asked, "Are we almost there yet?"

He smirked, and glanced at me for a moment. "What are you, eight?"

I frowned. "Jerk."

He chuckled, and checked his phone. "We're actually.. five minutes away."

My stomach churned with nerves. I was finally going to meet my mom. He pulled off the highway, and took a left on red. "Were supposed to continue this road for about a mile, or two." The car entered a thick, beautiful bracket of overhang trees. I rolled down my window, and stuck out my head; looking up into the sky. The green leaves, speckled with revealed patches of sunlight, hung close to the car; but I knew it was only an illusion. I smiled, and returned my head.

As soon as I got my head back in, I caught Nathaniel's eye. He immediately whipped back around to stare at the road ahead.

I hid a smile, and we suddenly pulled into a road. Large houses sat acres from eachother, and my eyes widened.

Nathaniel gathered our surroundings. "Wow."

I nodded. "Wow is right."

The car rolled to a stop in front of a grey-bricked house, with flowers that burst from every corner of the steps. The doors, window frames, and garage doors were painted a slick, clean white. My eyes swept the perimeter, and I noticed that the lawn was cut evenly, possibly perfect.

"Maybe we have the wrong address..." I said, my voice quivering slightly.

He shook his head, quite perplexed himself. "Nope. This is it." And as if he didn't believe himself, he checked his phone and nodded to himself once he realized he was correct.

He gripped the steering wheel, and turning into the driveway. Once we arrived near the garage doors, I took a deep breath. I was quite. "I don't think I can do this." And looked down, clenching and unclenching my hands.

I suddenly felt his hand wrap around my tensed fists, and I instantly relaxed.

"Do you want me to come with you?"

I thought about this. Did I? He would definitely make it easier, but how could I answer questions about us? "No thanks. Just, come back in like an hour or so."

He nodded, and before I could rethink my decision, I quickly swooped in and kissed him on the cheek. Nathaniel looked surprised, and I got out of the car without looking at him. My cheeks burned with embarrassment, shielding my face from his vision.

I heard the car drive out of the driveway, and soon I was staring after him. I bounded up the steps, and took a deep breath. The air smelt of flowers, and fresh air. The aroma was so sweet, I almost stopped.

I rang the doorbell, running a hand through my hair and trying to untangle the knots that I had recently encountered. Moments later, no one answered the door, and I was starting to believe she was not home.

But suddenly, heavy footsteps sounded against the foyer inside and the door swung open. I began to smile, but it immediately slipped.

The door revealed Walter.

~~~~~~~~

I took a small step back, confusion running through me like it was part of me. I was scared. "What are you doing here?" I demanded.

He grinned, revealing ugly, cigarette-stained teeth. "I've been waitin' for you."

I made a face, and mentally tried to think of a way to escape quickly. Nathaniel was probably half way down the road by now, and I could definitely not catch up. I tried to keep my cool, because Walter was dangerous. And judging by the look of his stance, he was drunk. "What do you mean?" I asked, trying to stall. Taking a tiny step back, I felt the edge of the step.

He laughed, and I mentally cringed. "What are you, stupid? I've been waitin' for you!" And quicker than I could process, he lunged forward and grabbed me. His grip tightened willfully on my upper arm. "Come on inside, Lindsey. I'm gonna give you a lesson."

He spun himself around so I was in front of him, a position in which I could not escape. Tears started to prickle, but I breathed evenly as he shoved me inside. He shut the door behind us, and I heard the deafening sounds of multiple locks. Was it just me, and him? Or were his other friends here too? I thought horrifically.

He guided, more like forcefully pushing, me across the beautiful room and through a door-leading to what I thought was the basement. I stared at the ground, concentrating on not collapsing onto my face. Seconds later, after climbing down the winding, carpet staircase, we reached a cement cellar which looked like it was half finished. Stray pipes, and tubes hung from the ceiling, and I studied my surrounding area. In the corner, one man stood, arms crossed. My stomach was filled with nerves, and fear. What should I do?

"So this is the girl?" The nameless person asked, as his voice gave off a deep, gruff accent.

Walter laughed behind me, a whiff of his alcohol-soaked breath fanning me. I cringed, and let him push me into the middle of a room. A wooden chair sat, along with a rope.

I couldn't help myself from snorting. "Classic." I looked at the man across the room, and said, "What, did you guys watch all the horror movies?" I clapped my hands. "Congrats."

Walter growled behind me. "Still haven't lost that sarcasm, have you?"

I laughed. "Never."

I was shoved forward, my smile fading as I was forced onto the chair. Walter stood in front of me, and wrapped the rope around my waist.

I mentally chuckled. This kidnapping plan was becoming humorous. He hadn't even tied back my arms, which left me free free to untie myself. I snorted once more, but soon pulled a straight face when he eyed me.

"Aren't you gonna tie back her arms?" The man asked.

Shoot.

Walter sighed, and came closer to me. Once my arms were tied back tightly he stood back, surveying his 'masterpiece.'

"Paul, come here." Walter motioned to his partner-in-crime.

The man, Paul, stepped forward and nodded. "Well you could-" he stopped, once he caught a glimpse of Walters face. He swallowed,"It's perfect."

Hah.

"So you do know why we did this, right?" Walter mused, while he circled me. Okay, now I was starting to get nervous.

I shrugged. "Why, O' brilliant one?"

He glared at me, his stubbly hairline come forward in centimeters. "You thought your mother would be here." He grimaced. "God knows, considering your behavior, how awful she must've been."

I gritted my teeth together, my hand clenching behind me. "Don't you dare talk about my mother. You never even knew her."

He mockingly laughed. "Honey, neither have you."

A shocking conclusion hit me. He was right.

"Now. Let's get to the real question. Why, on earth, did I do this?" He asked, still pacing while he clasped and unclasped his hands.

I stayed quiet, not answering.

"Because, sweetheart." He paused for effect, and I faltered, suddenly remembering Nathaniel. How long have I been here? Would he even find me? "I want my revenge-"

"How old are you, ten?" I interrupted, trying to stall.

He continued as if he didn't hear me,"And to do this, I am going to do everything you did to me."

I mock-laughed. "What? Get you kicked out of your only shelter? I'm sorry you have to live on the streets."

"Could you just shut up!" He strongly said, his voice raising.

I shrugged. "I could."

Walter readjusted his collar, his face red. "First up," he stopped, and held out a hand to Paul, "A beer bottle."

Paula grabbed a bottle that was hidden in the dark, and handed it to Walter. In one swift motion, he slammed the bottle on top of my head as the glass shattering around me. I jumped from the sound, and sudden physical contact, but got nowhere considering I was strapped to a chair. Beer dripped from my hair, and I gagged from the scent. A warm, trickling trail of something dripped from my forehead, none other realizing that it was blood.

Walter was close to my face, and I spit on him with such force. He closed his eyes, and wiped my saliva from his cheeks. "You've just earned yourself another bottle, sweetheart."

Sweetheart. I almost forgot about Nathaniel. Where was he?

And again, Walter was handed another bottle-that one being soon deposited onto my head with more force than the last one. I bit my lip, starting to sob.

"Next, on our list." He continued, pacing again. I just stared straight ahead, not meeting anyone's eyes.

"Who was the woman in Virginia, than?" I yelled.

He stopped, and shrugged. "Money is the key ingredient, in bribing people."

I shook my head. This isn't happening. Blood trickled around the frame of my face.

"Next. You ruined my relationship with Hellen. Now, I'm going to ruin yours."

I met his eyes. "I don't have a relationship."

"Oh really? What about your friend, Lavender? I know your close."

I growled. "Touch her, and I'll make sure you pay."

He threw up his hands. "Who's in the chair, again?"

I ignored him.

"Anyway, say hello to your new home."

"Excuse me?"

He smiled, and leaned close to my face. "I'm gonna keep you here. You don't have real family, and your files are destroyed." I thought back, remembering I had destroyed them.

"Your a nobody."

That stung, but than my phone rang, piercing the hair. I froze, hoping it was Nathaniel. Walter cursed, "You have a phone?"

I snorted. "What teenager doesn't?"

"Give it to me."

I scowled. "No."

The ringing continued.

"Give it to me, dammit!" He yelled.

"No!" I yelled back.

He slapped me across the face. "Give it to me. Now!"

I scrambled for the phone with my fingertips in my back pocket, and let it drop to the ground, but not before pressing a button I hoped was the answer key.

He grabbed it, and stuck it in his pocket. "You should learn to listen to what your told, Lindsey."

"What are you talking about, old man?" I sneered.

"That is how you became a foster kid, isn't it?" He inquired, a grin pulling across his face which made it seem like he was keeping a secret.

I didn't answer.

He raised an eyebrow, "Lets get something straight. No one cares about you, and no one ever will. Your a hideous, ill-mannered kid. The only reason I can keep you here, is because no one cares about you. Lavender can be bribed, like your 'Aunt,' " he made air quotations, "was in Virginia."

A tear slipped out of my eye, but I bit my tongue to stop the flow. "Your wrong."

"No. I'm not." Laughter erupted from Paul, and Walter. I stared at the ground.

"Lindsey. Don't move." A voice came from the bottom of the stairwell, and I looked up-hope striking me.

Nathaniel stood there, anger clearly written on his attractive face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 5.8K 34
"Dark-haired, green eyed, and standing at a height of five-six, Blaire Richman is still reported missing. If you have any information, please don't h...
170K 4K 40
"Don't look at me like that. I promise I will make you feel like a queen, when living here." He said looking straight through me. He came closer and...
192K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...
6.4K 1.3K 72
"I..." "Stop it!" he shouts, stopping me in mid sentence "I hate you." "B-But why? Why do you hate me?" "Oh! You know the reason." "If I would've...