The Healer

By MISSCESANIA

Liliana West is a Healer from Sandovia. She was living her life peacefully until the son of a High Lord asked... More

The Day Everything Changed
Chapter 1: Chasing West
Chapter 2: Setting the Kindle
Chapter 3: The Start of Something New
Chapter 4: Comfortable
Chapter 6: Hubris Prince
Chapter 7: Bearing The Weight
Chapter 8: Company
Chapter 9: Ambush
Chapter 10: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 11: Officially Branded
Chapter 12: Day One Conflict
Chapter 13: Visitor
Chapter 14: Day Out
Chapter 15: Pay What You Owe
Chapter 16: The Warning
Chapter 17: I Trust You
Chapter 18: A Good Idea?
Chapter 19: Didn't See That Coming
Chapter 20: The Unexpected Guest
Chapter 21: Comfortable
Chapter 22: Stand up Against
Chapter 23: Sealed
Chapter 24: Duchess of Araenon
Chapter 25 : Surprisingly, Tea Helps
Chapter 26 : Shattered Pieces of The Past
Chapter 27 : Unexpected Pair-Up
Chapter 28 : To Protect
Chapter 29 : The Infiltration (Part I)
Chapter 30 : The Infiltration (Part II)
Chapter 31 : Hesitation
Chapter 32 : Long Live the Duchess
Chapter 33 : Home
Chapter 34 : Clear
Chapter 35 : The Promise
Chapter 36 : A Specter from The Past
Chapter 37 : The Pirate King
Chapter 38 : Truth
Chapter 39 : Judgement
Chapter 40 : Near the Coast
Chapter 41 : Attack
Chapter 42 : Right on Time
Chapter 43: Sacrifice
Chapter 44: The Beginning of an End
Chapter 45: Fated

Chapter 5: A Knight and A Snake

2.6K 152 5
By MISSCESANIA

THE STREETS WERE BUSIER than yesterday. The sun was about to set and lights are dangling from tree branches giving the place a good ambiance. There are a lot of people buying and selling things. Some are singing happily. Surely, the streets weren't this lively yesterday.

"Bakit maraming tao ngayon? It wasn't this crowded yesterday."

"Oh. There's a festival coming up tomorrow."

I looked at the twins who were walking beside me. They did what they said to be my escort. And it did not escape my eyes how Luca flirted with the women whom he sees on the streets. What's surprising is that he knows all their names.

"He bedded probably half of the women in this city." I heard Levi dahilan para manlaki ang mga mata ko.

"Come on. Baka isipin ni Lily pati mga may asawa, pinapatulan ko. I only flirt with single young ladies, you know." Levi grinned. I failed to contain my grimace. There are always men in this world like Luca.

"That doesn't sound nicer at all," I muttered and he cracked a laugh.

"There's a famous restaurant here." Napatingin ako kay Levi. He smiled at me.

"Exene is out having a meeting so it's alright if we eat out. And besides he doesn't care whether he eats alone or not." He said as if he's answering a question I didn't think about.

"He probably cares now, brother," Luca said. They looked at me with grins on their faces. I sighed.

"Lily of the West, what's your decision?"

"I'm fine everywhere."

"Then let's go there." Levi said and we walked down the crowded streets with females swooning over Levi and Luca. I have to admit they really are dashing to look at.

* * *

The restaurant was posh. Not that I expect them to bring me to an ordinary restaurant but this one's too grand. Too expensive. I groaned inwardly. Why did I let them choose? I haven't received my salary yet and here I am eating in a restaurant that would probably cost my whole month's salary back in Sandovia.

"I'm sure you guys know I have no salary yet, right?"

Luca propped his elbow on my head as if it is the most comfortable shelf.

"Don't worry, milady. The dinner's on us." He grinned dahilan para taasan ko siya ng kilay.

"What's the catch?" I narrowed my eyes on them.

"Come on. We just want to treat you dinner to welcome you to the manor. We didn't have a proper celebration. And besides, Exene would want this too."

"It's true, Lily. We're treating you dinner tonight." Levi agreed and I sighed. Actually, I want to suggest eating in a less expensive restaurant but it's their treat. Good thing I was wearing a dress.

The smell of the aromatic food was what greeted us when we entered the restaurant. I have never smelled anything so nice and appetizing before. A slim woman came to us and flashed her smile. I instantly knew Luca's going to hit on her later. Or maybe he'd already flirted with her before. Half the population, remember?

The woman guided us to a table big enough for the three of us. When I looked at the menu, turns out, they just serve traditional dishes. And I wasn't wrong about their prices.

"Oh, Your Grace. You flatter me." Muntik na akong masamid sa iniinom kong tubig nang marinig ang boses ng babae. There's no other man in this place with the title 'Your Grace'. Which means Exene Magnussen is here.

"Unbelievable. I thought he has a meeting today." Muttered Luca. Mukhang narinig din nila iyon.  Nakadekwatrong upo ito habang nakatingin sa table hindi kalayuan sa amin, where the Duke is seated together with a woman who's probably beautiful if she hadn't put on enough blush on to make her look like an overripe tomato.

"Maybe that's the meeting he's talking about." Levi sipped on his water.

"Wow. I thought he's that kind of man who's not interested in women." I muttered habang nakatingin sa mesa nina Exene. I heard the twins cracked a laugh.

"Men will always be interested in women, Lily. It's a matter of intensity. Exene's interest in women is not much. Luca's interest in women is perhaps what you call the most intense." Levi grinned. 

I narrowed my eyes at him. "And you?" 

He cleared his throat and looked the other way. "I and Exene belong to the same group." 

I shrugged and looked at the rest of the facilities in the restaurant. It really shouts extravagance. There are lots of people too. Hindi ko alam kung marami talaga silang costumer o ngayon lang dahil sa festival na gaganapin bukas. I guess I'll find out after tasting their food. 

"You too, Your Grace, is a fine-looking man. I am honored to have the Duke of Araenon having dinner with me." I heard the woman said. Exene's back was on us kaya hindi niya kami nakikita. So he's probably complimenting her. He can talk to women too, huh? I thought he would be kind to ignore women.

I leaned to Levi. "Is it alright if we are here? I mean, they are clearly flirting with each other. Is it alright for us to hear all of it?" 

"That makes it more interesting, isn't it?" Luca just grinned. Judging from the silence of my two companions, I know they are just listening to the conversation.

Dumating din and inorder namin and I indulged myself with the food. The first touch of the food into my mouth sent explosions of flavors. I have never tasted such good food before. There are lots in Sandovia but it is usually expensive. I savored the food and got lost in the moment that I did not notice Lucas and Levi stopped eating. I glanced at them and they are looking at my back. 

"What the hell are you three doing here?" Napaubo ako nang marinig ang boses na iyon. Levi immediately passed me the water. 

"Come on, En. It's not like we're not allowed to eat here. And besides, we did not know you'll be here with your.." Levi's eyes went to the woman beside Exene. "..acquaintance."

"Lily was inside the house all day and we figured it's nice to tour her around here so we decided to treat her to dinner to welcome her membership too." 

Napalunok ako ng laway. Why does it sound like they're making me an excuse? I wiped my mouth with my napkin. 

"It was nice of them to invite me out. We truly didn't know you'd be here." I muttered and gave the woman a small smile but she just stared at me. She doesn't like me. Point taken. I'm used to that.

I heard Exene sighed. "That's not what I meant. I mean I was surprised to see you three together." 

"You want to join, too, En?" Levi snickered and I heard Luca chuckled. I figured they must be really close to mock the Duke like that.

Exene ignored them and looked at me. "Be home early." Iyon lang ang sinabi niya bago sila lumabas ng restaurant. 

* * *

I was home before eight o'clock. It was not because the Duke said so. I just need to make my first medicine in the lab. I asked Levi and Luca if they have some of the plants and I needed and they said I can find them in the back part of the house near the wall. I know what they look like and I just needed to bring a flashlight because apparently, the back part they're talking about is a ten-minute walk from the house. Just how big is this manor?

Kung ano ang ikinagara sa harap, iyon naman ang ikinagubat sa likuran. Trees of various sizes were what greeted me at the back of the house. I am not really scared of dark places but the trees and the cold wind give an eerie ambiance. I've been to more dangerous forest. This is nothing. 

I breathed and started walking. Luckily, I wore a jacket. I didn't remember this city to be this cold. The canopy of the trees was so dense that it looked thrice as dark underneath them. I had a hard time walking on thick roots too. If this forest was dangerous, Levi and Luca should've warned me or didn't permit me to even go here in the first place. 

A few more strides and I reached the wall and indeed, naroon nga ang mga halamang hinahanap ko. Once the greenhouse is up, I will plant a whole bunch of these. I started picking up the plants I needed using the small knife I had. 

I was putting the plants on the basket I had when I heard a snap of a twig. Agad akong napalingon sa aking likuran. If there are wild animals here, Levi and Luca should have warned me about it. Or they have a sick sense of humor that they think it would be funny if I get chased off by some wild animal. I hate to think about the latter. But it would be impossible for wild animals to roam in this forest. I mean, this forest is big but not big enough for wildlife habitat. What I heard earlier must be a rodent or something.

Nang itapat ko ang flashlight, sa kung saan ko narinig ang tunog, there was nothing but the trees and the dead leaves. I was about to continue what I was doing when I heard another snap. I don't get scared easily but being alone in a dense, dark and unfamiliar forest is another thing. I really hope that was just a small, harmless rodent.

Napatingin ako sa basket na dala. This should be enough. I can always get another tomorrow.

Dali dali akong naglakad pabalik sa dinaanan ko kanina. My footsteps were hurried and noisy against the dead leaves and twigs. I was about to step onto a huge root when someone grabbed me from behind and covered my mouth. 

I thrashed but the man is unbelievably strong. His grip on my arm was very tight but his hand on my mouth was enough to let me breathe.

"Quit moving too much. You'll get its attention." His voice was like the night—quite and dangerous. And I don't know this man and I don't know what he's talking about. Kaya naman gamit ang buong lakas ko, I stepped on his feet dahilan para mawala ang hawak niya sa kamay ko. I used my elbow to hit his face and I succeeded. He went off-balanced and I used that opportunity to run but he was quick. He grabbed my arm so hard and threw me into the nearest tree. The momentum caused him to fall down.

The next thing I heard was his groan and something hissing. I stood up from where I fell and grabbed the nearest stick I could find and pointed it at him, hoping it would be enough against a man as strong as him. It was a futile effort, I know but I have to at least try defending myself.

But he was not paying attention to me. He was rummaging through his clothes. I heard the sound of clothes tearing. He tore his sleeve and tied it on his arm.

"Who are you?" I demanded ngunit abala ito sa pagtali ng tela sa kanyang braso.

Don't tell me ...

"You're bitten by a snake." So that was the hissing sound I heard earlier.

He did not answer. Did he grab me earlier because he was trying to save my life?

"Damn it," I threw the stick away. Strangers be damned. I don't know this man but he saved me earlier and get bitten because of it. Kinuha ko ang tela na nasa kamay niya at itinapon iyon.

"I am a healer. Using that clothe will not, in any way, stop the blood flow. It's useless. The snake was probably scared of us too and was trying to defend itself so there should be a little venom injected or none at all."

"I think it was a Black Mamba."

I gave him a blank look. "This is not South Africa." I said and continued tying the clothe."Can you stand?"

"It only bit my arm, not my legs."

I ignored his remark and get the basket full of the flowers I collected a while ago.

"We have to get to the manor over there. I have to treat you immediately. We don't know if the snake is venomous or not. Do you work here?"

I said as I maneuvered over to giant roots. My companion, however, walked over them easily.

"I sometimes work as a gardener or a sword trainer. It depends on who needs me."

I wasn't sure if he was kidding or not but I don't have time to entertain any thoughts right now.

When we, at last, reached the mouth of the forest, I brought him to the infirmary.

"Lily of the West," I stopped rummaging through my vials when I heard him.

"You are the healer.  A pleasure to meet you. I am Davis Black. I am a member of the Duke's house."

"Yes, yes. Lie down and keep calm." I said as I got the vial I was searching for. I haven't been able to use this extract. It was from a plant only found in Sandovia which can be perfect for a painkiller.

I put three drops of the extract on a glass and added water. An undiluted solution of the extract can also be lethal.

"Here, drink this." I handed him the glass of water and he obediently drank it.

"That tastes terrible."

"Medicines aren't desserts. Give me your arm." Agad naman siyang sumunod. The wound is swelling a little.

"It was not a venomous snake. You've been walking earlier and you are still fine. If it was venomous, walking could have spread it on your bloodstream. I have no enough materials to check you properly. You must go to any medical facility so they can give you antitetanus. The wound may get infected."

He nodded.

"I am sorry. It was my fault why you were bitten anyway. If I just listened to you back then this shouldn't have happened."

"It's not your fault. It was my fault for tripping on the root. I'll go to the doctor immediately. Thank you for your service, Lily of the West. Have a pleasant evening."

I was about to tell him to just call me Lily but he already went out of the room.

"Lily of the West, huh?"

Since when did I have that name? And I was supposed to go with him to a hospital but when I chased after him, he was already gone.

How in the world did he disappear so fast?

* * *

Vote and comment! ☺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.7K 600 60
Living without knowing the mystery residing about the past was like living in the world with a blind eye. So, the search for the missing pieces of m...
19.6K 780 71
Bella Loreto o kilala rin bilang Campus Queen-a famous brat. She have everything na ika-iinggit ng lahat, except a good brain. Aside from being a 'Qu...
15.3K 642 34
She's living like forever, infinitely watching him die. This time, will finally be their last Hi and Goodbye.
31.1K 1.9K 68
A love between two people from two different world. === Dahil sa kuryosidad, nakulong si Chichi sa isang mahiwagang libro mula sa secret library. At...