Fifth Light (Sebastian Vettel)

By lacellak

Set in the 2014 Formula 1 season, this story follows Casey Larsen as she takes on her first year as a member... More

Chapter 1: How It Began
Chapter 2: Australia
Chapter 3: Travel
Chapter 4: Malaysia
Chapter 5: Thief
Chapter 6: Podium
Chapter 7: Kind-of Confession
Chapter 8: Bahrain
Chapter 9: Media Attention
Chapter 10: China
Chapter 11: Jealousy
Chapter 12: 3am
Chapter 13: Headquarters
Chapter 14: Movies
Chapter 15: Spain
Chapter 16: Perfect Fit
Chapter 17: Double Podium
Chapter 18: Celebrations
Chapter 19: Closer
Chapter 20: Admission
Chapter 21: Monaco
Chapter 22: Catching Up
Chapter 23: Revelations
Chapter 24: Decision
Chapter 25: Kimi
Chapter 26: New Friends
Chapter 27: Case of the Ex
Chapter 28: Cut Off
Chapter 29: Flight
Chapter 30: Public
Chapter 31: Girlfriend
Chapter 33: The Fight
Chapter 34: First Aid
Chapter 35: Ghost
Chapter 36: Girl Talk
Chapter 37: Germany
Chapter 38: The Veyron
Chapter 39: His Birthday
Chapter 40: Parents
Chapter 41: Sickness
Chapter 42: Overheard
Chapter 43: Win
Chapter 44: Anger
Chapter 45: Gone
Chapter 46: Sorry, Not Sorry
Chapter 47: Home Again
Chapter 48: Time's Up
Chapter 49: Change
Chapter 50: Prancing Horses
Chapter 51: New Beginnings
Chapter 52: Working Late
Chapter 53: Letting Go
Chapter 54: Thinking of You
Chapter 55: Ice Bucket Challenge
Chapter 56: Extraction
Chapter 57: Talking
Chapter 58: Suprises
Chapter 59: The Maserati
Chapter 60: Repairing
Chapter 61: Tricks
Chapter 62: Regret
Chapter 63: Loose Ends
Chapter 64: How It Ended
Chapter 65: Christmas Special

Chapter 32: Fans

9.3K 252 28
By lacellak

A/N - 28 December 2021: Wonderful readers. I am currently in the process of heavily editing and restructuring this story. I am currently up to here for my first round of edits (basic grammar and minor structure improvements). There will be several more rounds of editing after this but it should at least be much more readable as it is for now. Anything beyond this point however remains totally unedited and will not read as smoothly, as this story was first written around 8 bloody years ago. I am editing and progressing daily, so if you want, feel free to check back later and you can read it post-edit. If you choose to read ahead now though, many apologies in advance for the downgrade in writing quality!

Casey exhaled slowly as she stepped out of her taxi and looked towards the track. It was her first day back at work since the news broke and the first time she would see anyone from the team, aside from Evan & Jake, since they all found out. She wiped her palms against her uniform anxiously and set forth towards the garages quickly.

She passed a lot of people on her way through the main pit lane building. Some of them looked at her curiously while others didn't seem to notice her at all. Eventually, she rounded the corner into the Red Bull garage and walked straight towards her station to begin her installation routine. Only a small portion of the team were present, as she'd arrived a little earlier than she needed to. Mostly senior technicians and engineers were the only ones milling around. 

A little while after getting stuck in, her heart thudded as she heard the unmistakable noisy banter echoing down the back of the garage as the rest of the crew arrived. Suck it up Case.

"Well, fucking well!" Brand's voice boomed across the room as his eyes locked on her.

She turned her face away from him to hide her smirk.

"Casey Larsen. Our resident succubus," he continued, flailing his arms out wide. The crowd piling in around him were all murmuring and giggling.

"I knew it. I knew it! You knew I knew it!"

She finally broke out into laughter and turned to face him. Brand, flanked by Harry, Kyle, Elliott, Vikram, Jake, Evan, Martin, Nathan and several others were all slowly making their way to their stations, listening in intently and watching for her reaction.

She simply shrugged at Brand and turned back to her work.

"Oh hell no. I have so many questions!" he said with a menacing grin.

"What can I help you with, Brand?" she asked innocently, flicking through the notes on her clip board.

"How long?"

She looked around to find about 10 sets of eyes watching her from all around the garage and snorted, looking away again, "Don't you gossips have anything better to do?"

Brand scoffed, "Does it look like it? No. Spit it out!"

She pretended to count on her fingers, with absolutely no intention of answering him honestly.

"Filthy liar! I'm still waiting!" Brand exclaimed.

"I saw it right back at the start of this year I reckon," Kyle piped in.

"When?" Brand demanded, turning his attention to him eagerly.

"We took 'em out, this one..." he motioned at Casey with his chin, "... and Evan, on their first Sunday night. Seb just decided to join us, first time he's done that in what, two years?"

"Very interesting," Brand said slowly.

"Oh yeah, I remember that! I even said to you at the time, you remember? All it took to lure Seb out with us was a pretty face," Harry added, joining in the conspiracy theory conversation.

"That's right. He only started hanging around us when you came along," Brand nodded, squinting at Casey. She rolled her eyes dismissively and stuck her pen between her teeth.

"I've got all day, Case," Brand continued, hands on his hips.

"No, you most certainly do not," Rocky said sternly, walking into the garage and winking at Casey.

She smiled to herself as Brand huffed and eased off his interrogation. She looked up to see Evan had joined her and was standing at her side, watching Brand smugly.

"Hey," he chirped, nudging her with his hip.

"Hey Ev," she replied, flashing him a smile.

"They'll do this all day, you know."

"Bring it," she murmured, jutting her chin out stubbornly.

---

Casey kept her head down all week, avoiding being caught alone and giving vague answers anytime the topic of Seb came up. The team were still quite happy to discuss the matter at great length without her input. By the time she clocked off on Wednesday afternoon, she'd heard so many theories about herself she wondered what they ever used to talk about.

The biggest day was yet to come: Thursday.

Seb would be at the track for the first time on Thursday to sign autographs and complete the track walk. It would be the first time they were in the same public place.

Casey poked at her dinner at the kitchen counter on Wednesday evening, thinking about what might happen the next day.

The apartment door clicked open and Seb let himself in, dumping his backpack against the wall and pulling his cap off.

"Hey." Casey said warmly as she looked up.

She put her fork down and slid off the stool before walking over to greet him. Seb pulled her into his arms and buried his head in her shoulder before letting out a muffled groan, "Today was shit."

"You've eaten right?" she asked.

"Yeah. But that was shit too." Seb grumbled.

Casey laughed quietly, "Come on then."

She lead him over to the couch and sat down. He flopped down next to her and rested his head in her lap.

Casey flicked through the channels before deciding on a random documentary and began running her fingers through his hair and down his neck, repeating the process over and over again. Seb sighed as he finally relaxed.

"You're really good at that." he mumbled.

"I'm good at a lot of things."

Seb snorted and shifted slightly to raise an eyebrow at her.

Casey soon learned that Seb could fall asleep pretty much anywhere, in seemingly record time. A skill attained from constantly being on the move, she suspected. He also needed to eat, a lot, and often, or his mood would take the hit. Casey tried not to let it slip how cute she thought he was whenever he threw a strop. Regardless of sleep or food, he always seemed careful to remain gentle with her, though anyone else was fair game.

She continued to stroke his hair for hours, procrastinating going to bed. She was too nervous about the next day and what would be waiting at the track for her.

What if she fucked up the pit stop under all the extra pressure? What if the media said horrible things? What if his fans hated her?

---

"Stop it."

Casey looked over to Seb in the driver's seat, confidently navigating between the lanes of traffic, "What?"

"Stop worrying, I can tell you're working on giving yourself a brain tumour." he said with a cheeky grin.

"Was it really the best idea to arrive together?" she asked, leaning her head back on the headrest and gazing at him.

He seemed even more peaceful than normal as they drove to track.

"It's like pulling off a band-aid. Let them take the pictures and then they'll move on to someone else." he said, nodding to himself.

"What if I screw up a pit stop?" she whimpered.

Seb shook his head and laughed, "You won't."

"I could!"

"But you won't. I trust you more than any of them. You have one of the highest timing scores all season and it's your first year."

Casey blinked at him and swallowed, "Well, no pressure then."

Seb smiled and reached over to grab her hand and pull it back to rest on his knee.

"Don't even think about it."

"Hang on, does this mean you've been spying on my stats?" Casey asked suspiciously.

Seb shot her a mischievous smirk and she slapped his knee.

"We're here." he said after a moment, pulling the Infiniti into a driveway.

"Oh god." Casey mumbled, turning her attention back to the road.

The driveway was long and lined with fans and marshals. Seb took it slowly and eventually they made their way to the parking bays. Casey took a deep breath and grabbed her backpack before slipping out of the car.

There were no press allowed around the Red Bull parking bays so it seemed eerily quiet. Like the calm before the storm. Seb got out of the car and grabbed his things out of the boot, throwing a bag over his shoulder before pocketing his keys and reaching out for her hand expectantly.

She shot him an anxious look before taking his hand. He quickly pulled her against him and leaned in, kissing her gently.

She wished they could just stay there, in the quiet parking lot... preferably for the entire weekend.

"Do you love me?" he mumbled against her lips.

"No. I'm in it for the money." she whispered back, kissing him harder. She could feel his lips curve into a smile.

He pulled away finally, "You're making me late."

Casey scoffed as she allowed him to lead her away from the car and towards the entrance to the restricted personnel zone.

---

Casey looked down and noticed her knuckles had turned white as she clenched Seb's hand tightly.

There were cameras everywhere. They walked through a series of buildings towards the pit lane. There were team personnel walking back and forth and Casey even spotted a couple of other driver's dashing about.

Casey was startled as an eruption of screams sounded on their right. A hoard of eager fans were pressed up against the fence, clamouring to get a look at the drivers as they walked in and holding out various objects in a desperate bid to get an autograph.

As Seb noticed them he veered off towards them, looking back at Casey and smiling reassuringly.

They were all yelling his name and squabbling for position as he approached the fence, reaching out and taking one of the pens offered to him. He released Casey's hand and slowly began signing piece by piece, taking a moment to say hello to each person.

Casey watched with fascination at the effect he had on them.

"Casey! Casey!"

Casey looked towards her name in surprise to find a young male holding out a magazine in her direction and a pen. Seb looked back at her and winked.

"Can I get you to sign this?" the guy asked eagerly.

Casey took a few steps forward and took his pen hesitantly, waiting for him to show her where he wanted her to sign.

"Sorry, I'm just..." Casey stuttered.

"An amateur." Seb interjected with a cunning smile. All of the fans around them within earshot laughed.

As soon as they had their autographs from Seb, the fans would turn their attention to Casey, hoping to get a bonus autograph from her. Casey struggled to comprehend that any of them wanted her autograph at all.

"You guys are so adorable." a young girl gushed as Casey took her Vettel cap and looked for a space to sign.

"Thank you." Casey said, blushing nervously, still bewildered by what was happening.

"He has been my favourite driver since forever and I'm so glad he's got you now. Take good care of him!" she continued, her eyes shining.

Casey chuckled and nodded, "I will."

"Can I get a photo with you?" she asked timidly.

Casey shrugged, feeling a little more at ease with this particular fan, "Uh, sure. Do you want him in it too?" she said, jutting her head at Seb a few meters down the fence.

"Oh my god, are you serious? Yes! Please?" she squealed, bouncing with excitement.

"Seb." Casey called.

Somehow, he still heard her over all the yelling and excited chattering of the rest of the fans around them. He looked back at her and smiled. She beckoned him over and the fans down his end of the fence all cried out in protest.

"She'd like a photo." Casey said as he stopped next to her and looked at the young girl Casey was standing in front of.

"Of course." he smiled happily. They stood either side of the girl and smiled as she held her phone out in front of them and took the photo.

"Thank you so much." the girl said, her voice suddenly becoming shaky as she gazed at Seb dotingly. After a few more signatures, they finally moved on towards the pit lane building.

"See, the fans aren't that scary." he murmured, hanging his arm around Casey's shoulder casually. The cameras followed them closely every step of the way, forcing them to keep their voices down as much as possible. "And I knew they would love you."

"Why?" Casey asked, looking up at him.

"Because you're different. You're part of the pit crew. You're talented and you belong here. You're not just another model or singer standing in the back of the garage looking bored."

Casey laughed and bit her lip as he kissed the side of her head. He seemed genuinely happy to have her at his side, out in the open. She hadn't known what to expect, but so far, so good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.9K 2.4K 78
Four time Formula 1 World champion Sebastian Vettel had been just 18 years old when his girlfriend, now ex wife's, younger siblings had been kidnappe...
55.2K 3.8K 81
Jessie was sweet, petite, sexy as hell and everything that Sebastian Vettel had ever wanted, but she was out of bounds, she belonged to another man. ...
95.4K 3K 23
[ SET DURING THE 2012 SEASON ] «The world is in your hands or it's at your throat.»
141K 3.3K 70
He's a 4 time Formula 1 World Champion. Having split with his long time partner and his career on the decline he's hiding away from the world. She...