Chapter 30: Public

Casey didn't say a word. She just held his gaze silently, waiting for him to speak.

"You shouldn't have had to see any of that. I never meant for any of it to happen," he began, his deep blue eyes boring into hers as he spoke.

"I should have pushed her away last night. I know that. I was stupid. So stupid. I was just so surprised it was even happening in the first place."

Casey had to look away as she felt her eyes starting to sting.

"I didn't want any of this Case, please believe me. She just turned up in the lobby earlier, I don't even know how she found the right hotel."

He started to feel pathetic, trying to convince her of his innocence.

"Nothing happened, nothing would ever happen," he finished lamely, not knowing what else to say.

Her lips parted and his gaze flickered to them. He desperately wanted to feel them against his skin again.

"You didn't ask her to come here?" she whispered calmly.

"No! The only things I asked of her were to stop, and to leave," he affirmed determinedly, "Ich liebe dich, only you," he finished quietly. He wanted to lean in and kiss her, show her he meant it, but he hesitated, not confident enough that she wouldn't push him off.

She bit her lip, still avoiding his gaze. He wiped the last remaining tear trail away with his thumb.

"I thought the worst," she admitted quietly, gazing straight ahead as if focussing on something in the distance.

"I know," he replied sadly, "But I hope one day you will trust me enough to know I would never intentionally do anything that would hurt you."

She closed her eyes as he pulled her body sideways into his chest, letting him hold her against his sweatshirt. He felt so warm in the otherwise icy air. She finally gave in, running a hand up his torso and resting it against the side of his neck.

He stroked her hair and stayed quiet, keenly aware that she'd just shown a hint of affection. He'd been forgiven.

"Please don't ever cut me off like that again, Case," he mumbled sadly after a while, "I can't stand it."

She finally pulled away and sat back against the wall and meeting his eyes. He looked so horribly hurt and drained, making her feel sick with guilt for ignoring him for so long. He hadn't deserved it.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, looking down.

"I just need to know you're there," he said, reaching forward and gingerly taking her hand. She nodded slowly and looked away.

"Not knowing where you were, not knowing what you were thinking, having no idea when you'd speak to me again... it fucking hurt," he explained gently, "You've become everything to me. You can't just take it all away again without letting me talk to you."

Casey's throat made her feel like she'd been swallowing knives. She'd ended up hurting him so much more than he'd ever hurt her.

"I'm sorry Seb, I didn't know what to do."

"Next time hit me, yell at me, anything! Anything but cut me off," he chuckled with a sombre smile.

He suddenly got to his feet and pulled her hand gently, waiting for her to follow suit. She sighed and wiped her face with her sleeve before standing up beside him. He instantly engulfed her in his arms, holding her extra tightly. Likewise, she slipped her arms around his waist and buried her head in his neck, her heart thumping as she found herself back in her favourite place.