The Cowboy and the Angel | โœ“

By moonkissedgirl

To him, she was the perfect definition of an angel. What would an angel like her want with a cowboy like him... More

Author's Note
Character Introduction
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Four

3.1K 132 91
By moonkissedgirl

"I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times over," Annalyn giggled, aiming a playful swipe at Dixie. "You and Jase are perfect for each other."

Dixie blushed crimson, taking off her cowgirl hat and fanning her face as Jason and Tavin walked around in the round pen. It'd only been a few weeks since her and Jason became a couple, but nonetheless their bond was strong and obvious to everyone. "Oh quit, Anny!"

Annalyn shrugged with an impish smirk. She smiled even wider when Leroy stepped into the pen with her "brothers." The short Mexican, with his olive complexion and coal black hair, looked almost out of place with the two cowboys. "Well. . . it's the truth."

Dixie gave Annalyn a look, wiggling her eyebrows. "I could say the same of you and Leroy."

Annalyn feigned shock, but her pink cheeks ruined her performance. "You know we're just friends!"

"If y'all are just friends, then I'm a fruit."

Annalyn laughed, watching after her Mexican man. "You might as well be a fruit then."

"I think Jason beat me to it already. He looks very nice." Dixie giggled, a sweet smile on her face.

Annalyn shook her head at her brother, who was all bright and cheery in a sunny yellow shirt. "Maybe if you're a banana."

"Well, I have you to know I find it very appealin'."

Annalyn did her best to hold in her laughter. One giggle from Dixie was all it took, sending her into a fit of laughter. They were having such a time they didn't notice the boys coming up.

"What're you girls cacklin' over?" Tavin asked, smiling at both of them.

Dixie and Annalyn looked at each other, a sparkle of laughter lighting their eyes.

"Girl stuff," they chorused together.

"In that case, amigas, count me out. How 'bout you, cowboy?" Leroy grinned.

"As long as it's girl stuff about Dixie gettin' married to me, then I'm all good." Jason dipped his hat with a devilish smirk.

Dixie was beyond pink, and Annalyn shook her head at him. "Jason Archer! Find you somethin' better to do than terrorize poor Dixie."

"Actually, he has somethin' to do," Tavin assured Annalyn before turning to his sister. "Cowboy here is gonna try and break Stoney. Y'know, that gray horse that none of us can break?"

When the girls shared a look, Annalyn thought she saw a flicker of fear in Dixie's eyes. She couldn't blame her. They had seen the damage that gray horse could do with the Harden's other ranch hands ever since her, Jason, and Leroy arrived for a visit.

Leroy caught the look too, throwing a reassuring grin at Dixie. "He'll be fine. He has the kind of luck when he gets bucked off the horse it's been broken."

Tavin nodded in full agreement. "That he does Leroy. He is the best bronco buster anywhere."

Jason rubbed the back of his neck. "Aw hush, Tae, I ain't the best. There's someone out there that's better than me."

"I ain't found him yet," Leroy pointed out.

"Are we gonna let Jase do his specialty, or gonna hold him up gabbin' all day?" Tavin shouldered Leroy. "Let's go get the horse re-saddled."

Jason shook his head. "I'm more than able to do that."

Leroy silenced his objection with a glance. "No, Cowboy. Let us do it so you can have some time to talk to your woman while you're still whole. You might be all broken up after this."

When Jason met Dixie's gaze, he saw the worry written all over her face. He grabbed her in a warm embrace even though the fence was between them. "Don't worry. I'll be alright."

"I trust you," Dixie whispered. She was more than worried, she was fearful. She knew just how dangerous trying to break a horse was. She used to do it all the time with Tavin. But that was until Ma was killed. "I love you."

Jason smiled into her hair, rubbing her back in small, tight circles. As much as he wanted to stay like this forever, he had a horse to break. He squeezed her as tight as he could with the fence between them. "I love you more, angel."

As Tavin and Leroy led an innocent-looking gray into the pen, Jason let go of Dixie. "I'll be fine, I promise."

Annalyn gave Dixie a big hug while Jason headed over to the horse. "He's gonna be fine. He knows what he's doin'."

"So did Ma," Dixie said softly.

Tavin and Leroy took off at a run, climbing out of the pen as Jason prepared to mount.

As soon as Jason hopped into the saddle, the docile gray became the perfect definition of utter chaos - snorting, spinning, and bucking furiously. The dirt being kicked up was so thick it surrounded the horse and rider, blocking the others from seeing anything but a flash of hooves. As the rampaging horse launched itself around the pen, they could see Jason hanging on for all he was worth. A few bucks later and Cowboy's Stetson went sailing through the air.

Amidst the fear, Dixie's heart swelled with pride. He was truly amazing to see on a bronco, but, with every kick the horse made, she held her breath.

Recollections of that horrible day flash through her mind. Her mother in a riding habit, determined to break a gray horse oh-so-similar to the one Jason was on. Tavin led it into the round pen and hightailed it so he wouldn't be in the way. The horse's frenzy, the bucks and snorts. Dust, so much dust. The smile on her Ma's face when the horse seemed broken and the fight was over. Then the look of terror as the gray suddenly bucked and she lost her grip. The final kick that snapped her neck.

"Dixie, look at him go!" Annalyn said excitedly. "That's longer than anyone else has stayed on."

Dixie jumped, letting go of a breath she didn't know she was holding. Focusing her attention on Jase, she saw his triumphant cowboy attitude as the horse began to give up. She could see that confident grin he was wearing on his face from her position along the fence.

After a few more kinks were worked out, Stoney settled down and walked around calmly. The cowboys cheered and whooped. Annalyn smiled and hollered her congratulations.

Dixie said nothing. Her attention was completely focused on the horse. She saw that wild look in its eye. She knew what was fixing to happen, her gut feeling never let her down.

Before she could act, Stoney bunched his muscles and gave a good kick and hop, knocking Jase loose from the saddle as dust rose up to cover the scene.

"Jason!" Dixie screamed. Her mind was in overdrive, flashing her back to nine years in the past. Somehow she scrambled over the fence and made it to Jason's side first. But instead of seeing Jason lying there in the dirt, she saw her mother with blood trickling from the corner of her mouth, eyes frozen open. Dropping to her knees, she cradled his head as she had Ma and sobbed while Stoney cantered around the pen.

"Dixie!" Tavin said firmly. "Get off him. He's fine, just got the wind knocked outta 'im. He can't get any air if you don't give him some room."

Tavin's reprimand brought Dixie back to the present. She opened her eyes to see Jason's beautiful blue ones staring at her with confusion and a bit of pain. She let go of him and scooted back. "I'm. . . I'm sorry. . . ."

Leroy hoisted her up gently, giving her a pat on the back. "No worries, sis."

The foursome sat back, watching Jason as he struggled to catch his breath. A small stream of blood flowed from a cut above his eye and he looked a sight.

"Shucks, Jase. You look like you've been rode hard and put away wet." Tavin shook his head as Jason began to breathe normally. "That horse did a number on you. He kicked ya didn't he?"

"Almost," Jason coughed out, swiping at the blood running into his eye. "I pulled my head back just in time and his hooves only grazed me."

"Thank God!" Dixie exclaimed. "You scared me half to death."

From down in the dirt, Jason gave a big ole cowboy grin. "Told you I'd be fine, Angel."

Tavin and Leroy laughed, sharing a look while Annalyn looked up at the sky in appreciation. Nearby, one of the ranch hands rode Stoney out of the pen without a hitch.

Dixie bowed her head, her voice quivering as she softly said, "God is so good."

"All the time," the others agreed.

"Aww c'mon darlin'," Jason cooed as he wiped his face with a hand. "Don't cry. I'm fine."

After Leroy and Tavin helped Jason to his feet, he limped over to Dixie and pushed her chin up. "Look at me. I'm right as rain, see?"

Dixie searched his face, taking in the fierce, yet gentle, flame of protectiveness alight in his eyes. Even though he was injured, his number one concern was her. That realization plagued her heart. She ducked her head, emotions once again roiling inside of her.

"Come here, Angel."

Dixie looked up into his face again, tears pooling in her eyes and threatening to spill over. Her heart was warring with her mind, and the conflict was evident on her face. Half of her wanted nothing more than to launch herself into his arms and be held, while the other half restrained because he was hurting and she didn't want to cause him any more pain.

Jason reached out, pulling her into his arms. "What part of 'Come here' don't you understand?" he asked with a smirk and a wink, a teasing note in his tone. "Need to learn some submission, woman."

Leroy laughed. "You act as if she is your wife."

"She will be."

Dixie pulled back from Jason's hold to raise her eyebrows at him, her emotions now mostly under control. Or at least she hoped they were. "What makes you think I'd say yes?"

Annalyn stifled a giggle. "Hunny, we all know you'd say yes in a heartbeat."

Jason looked down at Dixie, his ardent eyes glowing with the depth of his feelings. "Do I really"--he bent closer, his warm breath tickling her ear and sending a shiver down her spine-- "have to tell you, Angel?"

Dixie wiggled, freeing herself from his grasp. She turned her back on him as her cheeks flushed. "No."

A sly smile curved Jason's lips. "That's what I thought."

Tavin crossed his arms, shaking his head. "That's plumb pitiful."

"What is?" Leroy asked, not picking up what Tavin put down.

"It's plumb pitiful," Tavin repeated, poking at Jason, "how Mr. Hotshot Cowboy here can reduce my sister into a blushin' wreck."

Annalyn crossed her arms, shooting a glare at Tavin. "And is there somethin' wrong with that?"

"Why yes, there is!"

"The only reason you think there's somethin' wrong with that is because you ain't got no woman interested in you. It ain't my fault you're not as good-lookin' as me," Jason teased, grinning and jamming his fingers behind his belt buckle. He looked even more handsome covered in dirt with a cut and dried blood on his head.

Tavin snorted, placing a hand on his hip and squinting at Jason. "You? Good-lookin'? I have you to kn--"

"Come on in, young'uns! Food's nice and warm, and y'all would do well to come and get it while it's hot," informed Charles from the open doorway, raising his voice to be heard.

"Pa!" Dixie exclaimed as she hurried to the door. "I'm supposed to cook dinner!"

Charles chuckled. "Whoa! Hold your horses darlin'! I know you were, but I wanted you to keep havin' fun and not have to worry about feedin' all of us. Did you forget that I know how to cook up some grub, too?"

"Good ole Pa," Tavin grinned as he walked up with Leroy and Annalyn, Jason limping between them.

"As I live and breathe!" Charles nearly gasped. He was thoroughly shocked to see Jason in such a dusty mess. "What in tarnation did that ole horse do to you, son?"

Jason dusted off his hat before slapping it down on his head, swiping at the dirt that smeared his once-yellow shirt. He gave Charles a tired smile. "Nothin' but what he's done to the rest of the boys, accordin' to Tavin. But the horse is broke, sir."

Tavin nodded. "That it is. Told ya he was the best there is."

"Don't that just beat all," Charles whistled, reaching into his pocket. Pulling out a small wad of dollars, he pressed them into Jason's hand. "Here you go, Jason, just as I promised you."

Jason met Charles' eyes. "Thank you, sir."

"Pa," Dixie said, gently placing her hand on Jason's arm, "I believe Jason could use hot food after all he's been through. May make him feel better."

"Food makes everythin' better for men,"Annalyn added with a teasing smile.

Leroy nodded vigorously. "You can say that again."

"I don't know about y'all," Jason started as he made his way through the door, "but I'm gonna get me some of that good-smellin' tucker while the gettin' is good."

"Nooo!" Tavin bellowed, charging in after Jason with Annalyn at his heels. "If you get there first, we won't get none!"

"Last one in is a rotten egg!" Jason chanted from the kitchen.

Leroy grabbed Dixie's hand. "Come on, little lady! Can't have you bein' the rotten egg."

Charles shook his head as Leroy pulled Dixie along to the kitchen where the others were squabbling over the food. The young'uns were making quite a ruckus, but the sound was like music to his ears. Oh how he missed those days!

***

"Where are you goin', Matthew?" the slim, graying woman called to her husband as she washed dishes at the sink.

"Outside to get some fresh air, hunny," Matthew answered as he pushed the brown Stetson further down on his head and tugged on his boots.

She arched a brow, her brown eyes full of concern. "Shouldn't ya wait until Jason and Leroy get back, or at least Laramie and Cohen?"

An easy smile lit up Matthew's sickly features. As much as he would love to wait and spend some time with his older sons and the twins, he knew they wouldn't let him do what he wanted to do. "I'll be just fine. Don't you worry about me none."

"Don't be too long, ya hear?"

Matthew tipped his hat in reply as he hobbled out the back door and down the steps. He breathed in deep, filling his lungs with the sweet, crisp air on his way to one of the smaller barns. How he missed being outside in the wide open, with the wind on his face and the plush grass beneath his feet! If only he hadn't gotten so sick. . . .

"Here's your horse, Mr. Archer!"

Matthew smiled at the cheery young man at the entrance to the barn holding the reins of an Appaloosa mare. "Thank you, John. You have no idea how much you've made this ole man happy!"

"Anythin' to help, sir," John smiled. "Here, let me help ya up."

With John's assistance, Matthew was astride the pretty mare in a jiffy. "Thank ya for everythin', young'un!"

"You bet!" John called after him, waving in farewell.

Matthew's face was nearly split in half by a giant grin as he slowly rode by a field scattered with horses. It'd been a long while since he'd been out to see just how well the Double A Ranch was doing, and he was soaking in the sights like a sponge. To his left a pasture held a few expecting mares, while the pasture on his right housed the newly-broken horses, among them was Stoney. He gazed at everything in appreciation, pride welling up in his heart with every step the horse under him took. Jason had done such a fine job with the ranch since he had been terribly ill, and he was plumb proud of him.

Once past the pastures, stables, barns, round pens, and the bunkhouse, Matthew urged the mare into a ground-eating gallop. The sky zoomed past him in a bluish blur as he raced toward a small cluster of trees hiding a sparkling stream. Lifting his face to the sky, he decided there was no better feeling in the world than being on the back of a horse on such a beautiful day.

Matthew's joy was abruptly cut short. The saddle violently slid sideways and dumped him out. His back hit the ground and he winced as a rock stabbed into his backbone. He writhed, trying to free his foot from the stirrup, but to no avail. He was stuck, and he wasn't strong enough to pull his foot out.

Before Matthew had time to think of another way to get free, his head made contact with a rock, knocking him out cold. He was dragged over the rough terrain as the mare ran, a wound on his head leaving spots of blood behind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.2K 1.3K 6
*COMPLETED* Willa Baker moved to Spurs, Wyoming without any reason. She did this a lot, even has a child she found she she never had a true home. Th...
209K 9.8K 29
Tylee Jackson lives on a 100,000 acre ranch, outside of Sundance, Texas, that she runs herself. She is very shy and gets social anxiety easily, her b...
307K 12.8K 22
Jonathan Woods is upset when his late grandfather throws in a last minute stipulation into his will that either him or his sister must get married an...
4.1K 394 18
ON HOLD - Ellis Sutton, the sweet and caring Instagram influencer, has never felt the need to be romantically involved with a man despite her online...