In Their Shadow

By Blue-Kitten245

Stuck behind the shadows of Naruko and Sasuke how will Yuma Ito deal with being in a team with his talented t... More

A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Fragmented Memory 1
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Fragmented Memory 2
Chapter 28: Chunin Exams Start!
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Fragmented Memory 3
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41: A Boy Capable Of Great Things
Chapter 42: A Festive Time For Regrets
Chapter 43: Happy Birthday
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Fragmented Memory 4
Chapter 51

Chapter 4

3.9K 106 39
By Blue-Kitten245

After Yuma was released from the hospitable for his head injury and several D ranks later, Kakashi decided to take team seven out for barbecue at "The Yakiniku Q", as a sort of anniversary gift, it having been a whole month since they have become Team seven, after all. He still had bad dreams of that one D rank mission were they had to capture that detestable cat, which belonged to the Daimiyo's wife. As they walked together down the streets of Konoha, many people waved and shouted words of praise to Naruko and Sasuke. Yuma just stared, jealousy filling his eyes as he became green with envy, while Naruko would wave to every other person who called her name, and Sasuke would remain stoic, ignoring the attention.

'Must be nice' Yuma thought filled with envy, eyeing his two teammates with jealousy.

Naruko turned to Yuma, taking notice of his staring, before smiling sheepishly.

"Sorry about this Yuma, me and Sasuke always seem to catch everyone's attention no matter were we go, it can get annoying sometimes, Ya know!"

Naruko says jokingly, attempting to lighten Yuma's mood. He just continues to look ahead, clearly annoyed at all the attention they were getting.

"Its fine, what else could I expect being in a team with the Hokage's own daughter, and the head of the Uchiha clans prodigal son?" Yuma states, his tone deeply sarcastic.

Sasuke turns his head, smiling haughtily.

"Awww, is the dead last jealous?" Sasuke asks sarcastically, lifting his eyebrows in a cocky manner. Yuma quickly gets tired of his arrogance.

"Just shut up!" Yuma yelled.

Kakashi eye smiled at the both of them, lazily chiding them while reading from his orange book, not even bothering to lift his head.

"Now you guys, don't start arguing, we have almost gotten to The Yakiniku Q, and i'd hate to have to change my mind because you three couldn't behave."

"Yes Sensei!" The three of them exclaim, Sasuke still smirking, Yuma frowning in distaste, and Naruko eyeing them worriedly, clearly uncomfortable with the thought of the two of them fighting.

After a short walk and countless bickering between Sasuke and Yuma, while Naruko acted as a mediator between the three of them, they had finally arrived at the restaurant of interest.

"Mmmm, you smell that guys? That's the smell of my wallet being drained for all its worth!" Kakashi jokingly states, gaining a smile from the three.

"Well you're right about that sensei! By the way Yuma, whats your favorite type of barbecue meat, I personally prefer the Pork!"

Naruko asks Yuma brightly, trying to be freindly.

Yuma flinches a tad, clearly still uncomfortable with being around Naruko. He doesn't hate her as much as before, having been around her more. He still doesn't enjoy being near her, but his extreme distaste for her existence has diminished just a bit. Being in a team with her has made him realize she's not the snobby rich girl he thought she was, but he still didn't like her overly cheerful personality, often finding it annoying and kinda draining to be around someone who's so optimistic.

"Actually Naruko, I've never had barbecue..."

Yuma states, looking incredibly embarrassed as he ashamedly looks down toward the ground. Naruko gives him a confused look before responding.

"Why not?"

That simple question was the root of why Yuma still had a problem with Naruko. No longer was it the fact that she housed the demon that took his parents life within her, he had come to accept that it wasn't her fault that it was sealed within her, and would often hate himself when he would accidentally refer to her as a monster in his head. No, what he hated about her was her being blind to the fact that compared to others, she had a rose tinted life. She didn't have to look on the streets for change whenever she mysteriously lost the Hokage's allowance, Scrub dishes in a red light district bar for a free meal, or beg for spare change. No, she led a life of endless praise from the villagers and lavished with gifts. He didn't hate her anymore, but he didn't like her either.

"Because I could never afford it." Yuma answers her with attitude, annoyed at her obliviousness.

Naruko's eyes widen in realization, rubbing the back of her head, embarrassed of her stupidity.

" Oh, yeah, of course, I forgot..."

The atmosphere became awkward, neither Naruko nor Yuma able to look at each other. Sasuke quickly got annoyed at the both of them, frustrated at there souring the mood.

"Hey dead last, Idiot, stop staring at the floor and hurry before me and Kakashi-sensei leave you both behind."

"Shut up Bastard!" "Shut up Sasuke!"

Both Naruko and Yuma exclaim, irritated at his name calling. Sasuke smiles cockily at the both of them, secretly happy that he diffused the awkward feeling that had hung around of them.

As they walk into the restraunt, Yuma's mouth starts watering, clearly enticed by the aroma.

"I sure hope barbecue tastes as good as it smells." Yuma says, eyeing the the people who already had theirs as they bit into their food.

He rubbed his mouth, wiping the saliva from his bottom lip. Kakashi eyed Yuma worriedly.

'That's the look of a kid who's gonna empty my wallet, and here I was worrying about Naruko's appetite.' Kakashi thought with dread.

As they walked into the establishment, people turned their heads, admiring the sight of both the Hokage's daughter and the famed Uchiha. While Kakashi went up to the front to order, the other three found a two sided booth to sit in.

Slowly but surely, Yuma began to hear the other patrons murmuring.

"Do you see them, its the infamous Konoha Duo! They're so cool!"

"Look Mommy, its THE Sasuke Uchiha, he's so cool!"

"Wow dude, look! its Naruko Namikaze, I wish I was on her team, shes so cute!"

"Who's that other kid sitting with them?"

"Who cares, he looks so boring anyway."

"To think the esteemed Hokage's daughter and son of the Uchiha clans Head would eat with someone so lame."

"Who does he think he is? They could do so much better."

"It should of been me on Naruko's team not him."

"How dare he sit next to Sasuke! He should just dissappear."

The murmuring got worse and worse, as each person spoke near them. Yuma's good mood had immediately dissipated as he sat next to Sasuke. Sasuke and Naruko remained oblivious to the people looking at them in awe, probably zoning out due to being used to attention. Kakashi soon came over and sat down as well, the waiter coming and laying down plates of food. Naruko began wolfing down large portions as Kakashi shook his head.

Sasuke noticed Yuma hadn't took a single bite, as he turned his head, worried for his teammate.

"You okay Yuma? I thought you were hungry?" Sasuke asked inquisitively.

"I'm okay...I'm not really hungry anymore..." Yuma said standing from his seat as Naruko stopped eating, looking at Yuma worriedly.

"Yuma? where are you going?" Naruko asked as Yuma stood up, his bangs covering his face, making them unable to see his expression.

"I'm sorry, I'm just not in the mood to eat anymore." Yuma said, using a fake smile that hurt.

"Now Yuma, its okay if you don't want to eat, but please at least stay until everyone's done, this is a team outing after all." Kakashi said kindly.

"Fine sensei, i'll stay." Yuma stated before sitting back down beside Sasuke.

Naruko smiled, putting her pearly whites on full display.

"That's the spirit, after all, You're a valuable member of team seven!" Naruko exclaimed in a chipper tone, attempting to cheer Yuma up.

Unfortunately it didn't work and Yuma continued to look down at the floor, wishing he wasn't there.

...He never even had a single bite of the barbecue.

It was all darkness as far as the eye could see, and was the first sight that had greeted Yuma's eyes. He lifted his hands, but couldn't see them despite having felt himself move them. He shuffled his feet and looked down, but couldn't see the, despite feeling there movements. He tried taking a step forward, but found it impossible.

Yuma quickly became confused and scared, as he began to think he was blind, before hearing a strange sound.

w..is...ou...eek.

Yuma was now growing scared, he couldn't move his body and now he was hearing things, he froze as the voice spoke once more

wha...is...t...you...seek.

"Hello? Is there someone there" Yuma asked, fearful and unsure if he wanted to know the answer.

...

It was now silent, Yuma quickly became paranoid, trying desperately to move his body before he began shouting.

"Look I don't know who you are or where I am, but i'd suggest you-?!"

Yuma quickly stopped shouting as directly in front of him, two yellow lights that looked like eyes without a pupil or sclera, stared right into his own eyes.

WHAT IS IT YOU SEEK?

The voice shouted into Yuma's face, deep and baritone, as it posed its question to Yuma.

"Wh-What?" Yuma stuttered, scared of the sudden voice and piercing yellow eyes that looked as if it stared into his soul.

I ASK YOU, WHAT IS IT YOU SEEK, WHAT IS YOUR DESIRE?

The set of yellow eyes repeated itself, staring into Yuma as if looking into his very soul.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about! Where am I. What is this place!" Yuma shouted, no longer terrified, quickly becoming pissed.

DESIRES, DREAMS, GOALS, WHATEVER IT IS YOUR KIND CALLS IT, I WILL HELP YOU MAKE IT A REALITY.

"I don't understand, what are you?!" Yuma yelled, now frustrated with all the questions the voice was asking.

...I SEE, YOU'RE STILL TOO WEAK TO ANSWER MY CALLS IT SEEMS.

"What calls! What the hell are you talking about!" Yuma was now screaming, clearly annoyed at whatever it was that was speaking too him.

The Yellow eyes then faded away, causing Yuma to flinch a bit at its sudden departure.

COME BACK WHEN YOU ARE READY TO RECEIVE MY "GIFTS". RETURN WHEN YOU ARE READY, ONLY THEN WILL I BESTOW UPON YOU POWER TO TURN YOUR DREAMS INTO A REALITY.

"Wait?! You haven't answered a single damn question, what the hell are you, why did you call me here, where am-?!" Yuma stopped as he felt as if he were falling out of the darkness.

His body began to feel heavy, like a rock tumbling down a hill. Yuma began screaming as he felt as if he were falling from some high place.

GOODBYE YUMA ITO, I HOPE I SEE YOU SOON. IF YOU EVER NEED POWER, THEN COME BACK WHEN YOU'RE PREPARED.

With those final words, Yuma was dismissed from the black abyss.

〰️➿〰️

Yuma woke up, covered head to toe in sweat, terrified of what had just happened. He gripped the top of his head, severe pain filling him.

'Was that a dream, I was asleep? It felt so real!" Yuma said as he looked to his head, seeing a noodle cup to the left of him.

Frowning he picked up the cup, throwing it into the trash can behind himself.

'I guess a bad dream is to be expected, I ate too much of that garbage last night.'

He stretched his arms out in front of him, before settling them down beside himself, frowning at his poor excuse for a bedroom before sighing.

'Come on Yuma, its a mission day, so quite your frowning and get to work! Besides knowing Kakashi, it'll probably be another D rank, easy money'

With that final thought, and finishing his morning routine, he was off.

...Little did he know, that the mission that Team seven would be assigned today, would not just be a simple D rank.

〰️➿〰️

The first thing that greeted Yuma's eyes upon opening the door to the missions office was the sight of Naruko screaming into her fathers face.

"Not another one dad! How many D ranks will you send us on!" Naruko yelled to Minato, Sasuke nodding his head wanting to know himself, as Kakashi just gave his trade mark eye smile.

"What's going on?" Yuma asks.

Naruko looks to Yuma, before giving Yuma a large smile, looking at him as one would a savior.

"Yuma thank Kami your here, listen Dad says he wont let us go on a C rank unless he thinks you're ready for it, tell him he has nothing to worry about" Naruko exclaimed.

Yuma looked to Minato, head palming himself while giving Yuma an apologetic smile.

"Sorry that is the first thing you have to walk into. My daughter keeps thinking i'm holding your team back from C rank missions because of you."

Yuma was now getting irritated. Not only did he have a terrible nightmare, woke up with a throbbing headache, but now he was being reminded of his status as "Weak link" already. He was tired, tired of people underestimating him, tired of being considered lesser than Naruko and Sasuke, tired of being pitied.

...Tired of being in their shadow.

He marched himself directly in front of the Hokage, intent on making his case clear.

"Are you?" Yuma asked.

"Excuse me?" Minato asked, unprepared for Yuma's sudden act of bravado.

"I wanna know if you're holding us back because you see me as a weak link in team seven? because if so, i'll prove you wrong!" Yuma said, determined to prove to the hokage that he wasn't a weakling.

Minato gained a strange glint in his eye before responding.

"Yuma, let me make one thing clear, I have never considered any shinobi in my village as a "weak link" as you call it, I believe that given enough time, effort, and attention, any shinobi can achieve what I have." Minato states with conviction.

Yuma looked at Minato dead in the eyes, too petrified by Minato's sudden tone shift to move or make a response.

Suddenly, as quickly as it had arrived, Minato's serious tone disappeared, as he smiled at Yuma.

"And that's why, I have changed my mind."

Naruko's eyes seem to sparkle with glee, a huge smile covers her face from ear to ear.

"Wait?!do you mean-!"

"I will be giving you three the C rank mission you so desperately crave." Minato says giving his daughter a kind expression.

"Wait! what, do you mean?" Yuma asks, quickly catching onto what he had done.

Minato gives him a hard to read expression before responding with a questionable smile.

"Whats wrong Yuma, you said it yourself remember, you'll prove me wrong, right?" Minato said, giving Yuma the kind of smile one would give to someone who made a major mistake, and they would now exploit that persons mistake to the fullest.

"Yes! Thank you Yuma! You're the best!" Naruko said, suddenly hugging yuma from behind, before he shoved her off.

"Wait but I didn't mean-"

"Seems you're good for something after all, dead last." Sasuke said, giving Yuma a look of respect.

Yuma sighed, realizing that there was no longer any point into denying it, the damage already done.

"Now now you guys, settle down, I still have to explain your mission." Minato said, gaining the threes attention once more.

"Your mission is to travel to the land of the waves and help a bridge builder complete construction on his bridge." Minato said.

"Alright! Which bridge builder will we be helping?" Naruko asked her father, before Minato grinned.

"Come on in!" He yelled, facing the door leading out into the hallway.

A tall old man with gray hair, a goatee, and a straw hat walked in. Looking at three of them, he's eyes widening in realization when looking at Naruko and Sasuke, before completely looking over Yuma with disinterest.

"I'm happy to know that a Uchiha and the Hokage's very own daughter will be guarding me while I build my bridge, but who's the last kid, he doesn't look like much."

The old man griped, his eyes settling on Yuma. Yuma looked at him, becoming quite pissed, before calming himself when Kakashi patted Yuma's head.

"I assure you that my genin is more than qualified to protect you, you have my word." Kakashi says.

The old man spits on the ground before putting his hands on his waist, Pride shining in his eyes.

"The names Tazuna, the great bridge builder from the land of the waves! I'll be counting on you four protecting me while I build my bridge, remember that!" Tazuna yells, before stomping out of the room, clearly drunk.

Minato smiles sheepishly for a couple seconds before looking to the four seriously.

"You all have your orders, now go out and get ready for you're mission, grab anything you think you'll need, then show up at the village gates in an hour, now go, except for you Kakashi, stay here for a bit."

"You got it dad! We'll complete this mission without fail no matter what!" Naruko exclaims confidently.

"Yeah,and if the dead last gets in any trouble, then will be sure to bail him out, right Yuma?" Sasuke says while nudging Yuma in the shoulder, agitating him.

Yuma scowls at Sasuke, clearly annoyed.

"Would you just piss off!" Yuma yells before Naruko grabs them both by the ends of their shirts, dragging them out of the room.

"Why did you ask me to stay behind?" Kakashi asks, curious as to why he would be asked to stay behind.

Minato gives Kakashi a serious look before handing him something.

"Here, read this." Minato ordered.

Kakashi is handed a an envelope with a file inside, he stands there reading it before his look of confusion shifts to one of business.

"...Understood. I will carry it out without fail."

After that, Kakashi walked out of the room, off to prepare for the mission.

〰️➿〰️

After all of team seven plus Tazuna arrived at the gate, they all began the journey to the land of the waves. Many hours passed as they walked through the plains of the land of fire. Naruko, being as energetic as she was, quickly became bored of the never ending walk and began telling Yuma of her many attempts at trying to prank Sasuke.

"And then, there was that one time I tried mixing glue in Bastards tooth paste, but he was able to tell the difference! It wasn't fair!" Naruko complained.

"Yeah, because i'd totally be stupid enough to not tell that my tooth paste suddenly doesn't smell." Sasuke said, smirking at Naruko.

Kakashi just nodded his head to their senseless conversation, clearly not listening. Tazuna had a goofy grin on his face, his body rocking back in forth. He brought his jug of booze up to his head, clearly inebriated.

"Hey old man, do you always get drunk like that?" Yuma asks rhetorically, disgusted by Tazuna's boorish behavior.

"I don't need any chastising from a kid thank you verrry much" Tazuna say's, wobbling from foot to foot, almost unable to walk.

"Jeez, no wonder you need people to protect you, anyone could kill you if this is how you behave at your construction job." Yuma states, shaking his head in disappointment.

"No respect for your elders eh? You know back in my day, we would-" As quickly as the conversation began, it soon devolved into nonsense due to Tazuna's drunken ravings. Yuma shook his head once more, unable to deal with the old mans drunken ramblings.

The long walk continued for several hours, at times boring, and at others annoying. Naruko would often stop to look at something that caught her interest, and Sasuke would have to drag her away so that they could continue. After what felt like days, they finally began to near the Fire country border that led to wave country.

"How much longer before we arrive to the border Kakashi-sensei?" Naruko asked, groaning loudly from boredom.

Kakashi looked at her with a eye smile before commenting.

"Don't worry, we've almost arrived, just a couple more hours and we'll finally make it to Water Country." Kakashi said to Naruko, patting her head.

"Hmm..." Naruko made an inquisitive sound causing Kakashi to look at her in confusion.

"Is something the matter Naruko?" Kakashi asked.

"Its nothing, its just..." Naruko started before stopping, looking at Kakashi confused before continuing

"It hasn't rained at all since we began traveling so why?"

Kakashi looks at her worriedly.

"Why what Naruko?"

Naruko hesitates, pondering if she'll sound stupid before answering him.

"Why was there a puddle back there if it hasn't rained for days?"

Kakashi's eyes widen slightly, he looks behind them and sees the puddle she was talking about.

Out of nowhere, Kakashi pushes Naruko away from him before yelling to Sasuke and Yuma.

"Sasuke! Yuma! protect the bridge buil-?!" Before he could finish, a sickle wrapped itself around his body before slicing him to ribbons.

Two men appear from the aforementioned puddle before looking at Yuma, Sasuke, and Naruko darkly. Yuma began shaking in fear, unable to grasp the quick and bloody death that had just befallen their sensei.

"One down, three to go" The two ninja chuckled darkly before lunging at the unprepared genin.

'I just wanted a simple D rank mission.'

With that final thought, the plains quickly became a battlefield.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 79 13
"Please don't leave me." "I have to." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Miki Uzumaki. A girl who's feared by the village hidden in the le...
25.6K 626 16
Sakura get's kidnapped by the Akatsuki because they need a medic ninja. Little did she know Sasuke was in the Akatsuki now. She thought she was over...
28.3K 1.1K 89
Have you ever heard of Naruto Uzumaki? The hero of Konoha, the host of the nine tails, the defeater of Kaguya Otosuki, the friendly ninja which dream...
41.5K 1K 72
Indra Uchiha is Sasuke's younger brother named after their ancestor. Due to his exceptional abilities he was put in a grade higher , being in the sam...