So Cruel, yet so Beautiful. [...

By Yoarozu

Book 1 - Storm Series Alexandra Storm The cruel and merciless Alpha of the Shallow Moon Pack. Queen of the we... More

Author Note
Prologue
Chapter 3 - Burning
Chapter 1: Darkness
Chapter 2 - Never Trust
Chapter 4 - Feel Something
On Hold...
Chapter 5 - Control
Chapter 6 - Full moon
Chapter 7 - Transition
Chapter 8 - Hide and Seek
Chapter 9 - Details
Chapter 10 - Realisation
Chapter 11 - Mercy
Chapter 12 - Story to tell
Chapter 13 - Defence
Chapter 14 - Thunderstorms
Chapter 15 - Call me
Casting Call
Chapter 16 - Routine Check
Chapter 17 - Feeling Better
Chapter 18 - Whiskey and Kindness
Chapter 19 - House Warming Gift
Chapter 20 - I Love You
Chapter 21 - Preparation
Chapter 23 - Truth Betold
Chapter 24 - Hello Brother
Chapter 25 - The Council's Order
Chapter 26 - Shopping Spree
Chapter 27 - Waltz
Chapter 28 - The Marking
Chapter 29 - Old Enemies Return
Chapter 30 - Blame
Chapter 31 - Loved and Lost
Chapter 32 - Last Goodbye
Chapter 33 - Silence is Key
Chapter 34 - Good Things Never Last
Chapter 35 - Corruption and Needles
Chapter 36 - High Hopes
Chapter 37 - Courage To War
Chapter 38 - Tortured Wolf
Chapter 39 - We All Lose Sometimes

Chapter 22 - Trial and Error

1K 43 5
By Yoarozu

"We seek excellence, by constant trial and error."

*Matthew*

We were on our way to where the trial would be, my wrist felt sore from the cuffs and the chain around my waist burned my skin with each movement I made. My jaw, which was definitely fracture, throbed with pain everytime I bit down.

Conrad held my upper arm, pushing me in the right direction. Raymond was on the other side, no emotion on his face. Alexandra was still in front of us, her body was up straight and radiating confidence as she walked. Yet she seemed tense as if she was afraid of what might happen at the trial.

I wanted to comfort her, tell her it would be alright, but I couldn't do that right now. I felt angry because I know I am the cause of all her stress and still she was nice enough to deal with it. I admired her for that.

People from her pack walked past us, some whispered to each other, some openly made rude remarks towards me and some just stood there quietly, a variation of emotions visible on their faces. Anger, despair, fear were all emotions showing in their eyes.

Women with children, turned and walked away quickly. Men tightened their grip on their wives, even standing in front of them as if I'd attack any moment.

I couldn't stand the looks anymore so I bowed my head and looked at the ground. I understood their fear so I wouldn't contribute to it any longer than needed.

We were heading in the direction of the woods. There was a visible entrance with a dirt path leading deeper into the dark green void of trees. As we walked down the path I could see small patches of sunlight stream through the leaves. Thick green mos grew on all the tree's bark and white flowers bloomed in open areas.

I decided that this path would've been beautiful on other days if it hadn't lead to your so proclaimed death. But it would be nice if your last scenery could be this before you're finally gone.

We kept to the path for another couple of minutes before we made it to big, rusted, iron gates which bared some sort of crest, which I assumed was the pack's. Two warriors stood in front of the gates, their faces serious and they stood with their arms crossed over their chest.

When they saw us coming down the path, they both turned around and pulled open the two gates to let as through. The bowed their heads as Alexandra walked past, then stood up straight when I was pushed in behind her. One glared me down and the other one had an annoyed look on his face. Conrad just pushed past them and told them to close the gate.

I scanned my surroundings, taking it all in. It looked much different than I'd imagined. The place looked like an old-fashioned courtyard, mostly made out of cobblestone. On the right and left side of the courtyard rose two stone pavilions lined with onlookers who had come to see the fight. At the opposite end there were stairs leading up at least twenty metres to a throne, made out of the same material as the pavilions.

On either side of the throne, there were six smaller stone benches. Three on the left and three on the right, each one occupied by an elder person in black robes. Four of which was men and the other two women.

Conrad pulled on my arm and told me to stop walking. Alexandra kept on going forward until she stood at the foot of the steps. She bowed her head to all the robed people then climbed the stairs towards the throne where she sat down. She waved her hand and the crowd became silent then nodded her head at Conrad, who pulled me forward to the middle of the courtyard.

There he forcefully pushed down on my shoulder making me fall to my knees, then he pushed the back of my head so I would bow.

I heard someone get up, then they spoke, "We are here today for the trial of Matthew Hunter. He is accused of trespassing on our land, attempt of escape and violence against our own. How do you plead?"

I looked up from the ground and said loud enough so everyone could hear, "I plead innocent."

A murmur broke out amongst the crowd, clearly disagreeing with my statement. Alexandra once again lifted her hand and once again they fell silent. Then the guy from before spoke again, "Your statement shall be determined through the terms of battle. You will fight the opponent we have chosen for you in terms of your overall build. Your opponent will be, Sage Murdock. Opponent, you may step forward.

The guy, who I assumed was Sage, stepped forward, surprisingly it was the same guy who had questioned Alexandra when she rescued me out of my cell to take me to Lisa's. He seemed quite pleased with himself and the crowd cheered him on as he came my way.

Conrad pulled me back on my feet and unlocked the cuffs then he removed the chain from around my waist. I felt the burning subside around my waist, embracing the painless feeling for the short time I had it.

This time one of the women spoke, "It will be a battle to the death, the opponent is aloud to shift and use his wolf, the rogue may not. If he does he shall be executed for disobeying the rules. If the rogue kills the opponent, the rogue will be set free and will become a member of the pack. Fighters take your positions."

I took my stance and started memorizing my technique, Sage did the same. Alexandra stood up and said, "May the battle begin."

As soon as she said that Sage charged at me, ready to throw the first punch and land it. I dodged to the side nearly missing his fist. He growl clearly annoyed by my action and so he swung again this time landing it. Once again my jaw was in agony, but my adrenalin was pumping thus I didn't feel it immediately.

I regained focus and remembered my technique. As Sage came towards me I quickly pulled back my leg and kicked him on his side. He fell down and before getting up I punched him making him fall back down. I kicked him in his stomach making groan in pain. I took a step back to catch my breath.

Sage got up slowly, his body shaking with rage. He eyes started to change and he bared his fangs, his wolf was in control. He came running towards me, he wasn't using a technique anymore instead he used brute force to try and win the fight.

He was throwing punches and kicks from every direction so I couldn't block any of them. I was busy losing and there was no way I could gain the upper hand. I felt lost, should I give up or keep fighting? Alexandra would come and save me, but I want to win on my own.

What was I fighting for? I lost everything and everyone. Then I remembered what I was fighting for. I was fighting for a chance at a normal life with my new family, I was fighting for Alexandra. She is the only one I need in my life and this asshole won't be the reason why I stopped fighting.

A surge of energy entered my system, making me regain my strength. I felt like a whole new person, no pain holding me back anymore. I felt unstoppable, to say the least. Now all I had to do was knock him out, then it would all be over.

I deflected every punch and kick he threw at me and in return I started hitting him every chance I had. I decided I was going to end it all with a headlock. As he threw his last punch I grabbed his arm swung myself around until I was on his shoulders. He fell backwards like I had planned and as we lay there I delivered the knock out hit.

His body went still and his grip loosened letting go of my legs. I pushed him off me and slowly got up from the ground and walked towards the foot of the stairs. Everyone was quiet then one of the black robed guys asked, "Why didn't you kill him, Rogue? You have a chance at freedom."

Before I could say anything Alexandra stood up and answered for me, "Because he's not a killer and he's not a rogue."

A black robed lady then asked, "But what is he then, Your Majesty? If he's not a rogue or killer?"

Alexandra looked down at me and I gave her a smile and a slight nod. She smiled back at me and said, "He's my mate."

Gasps could be heard from the crowd, people yelled and the robed people looked at us in disgust. One then yelled, "Disgrace! Disgrace to your family and pack!"

Anger was written across Alexandra's face, she walked over to the man and grabbed the collar of his robe swung him around, making him lean over the edge. Everyone was quiet, holding their breathes in shock.

She then yelled at him, "How dare you speak to your queen that way! I should have you killed for your ignorance! If you would listen, you would understand! Now keep your fucking mouth shut and let me explain!"

The man whimpered a reply and Alexandra pulled him back again. He fell to his knees in front of his bench clawing and grabbing at it incase he was to fall off the wall.

Alexandra came down the stairs and stood next to me, just then she took my hand and squeezed it lightly. Alexandra looked at the crowd their faces still shocked. Alexandra then said, "Now it's your turn to explain."

I smiled at her before I spoke, "I am Matthew Hunter, from the Red Wolf Pack. You might know it because it was one of your neighbouring packs, few weeks ago it was attacked and destroyed by rouges, I was one of few survivors."

I paused, there was silence, so I continued, "I ran and trespassed onto your land in getting away from rogues. And I know what you might be thinking and I'm not asking you to trust me, I just need you to give me a chance to prove myself to you. I owe you my life because if it wasn't for your pack, I would be dead."

I heard them start whispering to each other until Conrad and Raymond came walking towards us.

They stood next to Alexandra and Conrad said, "Raymond and I have had the time to get to know Matthew and trust me I was hesitant at first. I never fully trusted him until I saw a different side of him. He is no cold-blooded killer and I've learned to trust him."

"We all feel the same way about rogues. We all know they destroy everything in their paths, but sometimes you have to have a little faith and trust the person who's gone through the same things you had. That's why I trust Matthew," Raymond added.

Alexandra said finally, "Please, if your Alpha could trust the one thing she hates most you can do it as well. Give him a fair chance and he'll prove to you that he's no threat to any of us. I beg you, please."

Silence, was all we got in reply, but then someone stood up from the crowd. It was a girl about eighteen, her blonde hair was braided like Alexandra's and she had bright green eyes. Then she spoke, "I'll give you a chance."

As she said those words another person stood up and said, "Me too." Then all of a sudden one by one people stood up and agreed to give me a chance. They all looked at me and bowed their heads to show their respect.

I looked at Alexandra and she looked at me, her eyes filled with pride and joy, she was smiling. She wrapped her arms around my neck pulling me into a hug and I put my arms around her waist, holding her tightly. I heard her whisper, "We did it."

I whisper back, "Yes, yes, we did. Thank you, Alexandra." She just held on tighter then before.

People started leaving the pavilions and went back out the gate. Cheerful conversations went on and some just left with a smile.

The blonde girl, who had stood up first, came walking in our direction. I let go of Alexandra and she went and gave the girl a hug. She told the girl something then they came towards me.

Alexandra then introduced us, "Matthew, this is Avery Roe. The girl I took in when I was eighteen." My eyes widened at the sudden realisation, this was the girl Alexandra always talked about.

She stretches out her hand for me to shake, "Hello, Matthew, it's nice meeting you."

I take her hand, "Hello, Avery, nice meeting you too. I've heard a lot of great things about you. Thank you for what you did today, it means a lot."

She looks away, shyly, "No problem, I know I'd want someone to help me when I'm in that type of situation."

Then she turns to Alexandra and says, "I have to go, I have some work to do before tonight. I wouldn't want to miss dinner."

Alexandra smiled at her, "Of course, I appreciate you helping me today. I couldn't have asked for anyone else. Thank you, Avery." She pulled Avery in for a hug, as they both stood there I could feel the bond between them.

Avery left shortly after and Alexandra's attention was back on me. Now we were the only people left in the courtyard. I put my arms around her waist, as she places her hand on my cheek making me lean into her touch.

I sighed before I spoke, "How am I going to prove myself? What could I do to make them see that I'm not a threat?"

She spoke softly, "You have a second chance, Matthew. Now we can live normally and if time calls for it, you can prove yourself to everyone. But if you asked me, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone except me, which you already have. Don't let the pack get you down."

"I won't, not as long as I have you," I reply and lean down to kiss her. The kiss was soft, but as it deepened I winced as the pain in my jaw returned.

Alexandra the said, "Maby before you can prove yourself to anyone, let's get you fixed up first."

♧♧♧

HOLY HELL!! WE HIT 1K READS!

I'm so happy, Thank you so much for all the support. It means so much to a small writer like me. I never thought we'll get this far.

So Cruel, yet so Beautiful has always been a big dream of mine and it's becoming more real every chapter I write. I know I might update late or maby I won't update at all and that's things I'm working on because I love this story so much.

We would never have gotten here if it weren't for each and every one of you who has contributed to this story.

And as always, I hope you liked the chapter please vote, comment and share.

Thank you guys♧
Love you guys♡
Thea

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.7K 1.6K 37
⚠️DISCONTINUED ⚠️ Book #1 in the 'Moon' series ~ The moon pack is the most powerful of them all. But every single member was slaughtered hundreds of...
1.9M 82K 55
Scars... Some are worn on the outside and read like a book, others are hidden on the inside, unseen but shape every fabric of our being. Alpha Chris...
2.6M 76.6K 48
#40 in werewolf -/-/- #55 in werewolf 4/18/2018 #71 in werewolf 11/18/2018 Book #1 of the 2&2 novels I didn't see it coming. Well physically I cant...
284K 13K 44
Complete. Rootbridge Pack - Book one. She's on the run. He's living a normal life. She's being chased by shadows - haunted by memories. He's just ha...