Chapter 22 - Trial and Error

"We seek excellence, by constant trial and error."

*Matthew*

We were on our way to where the trial would be, my wrist felt sore from the cuffs and the chain around my waist burned my skin with each movement I made. My jaw, which was definitely fracture, throbed with pain everytime I bit down.

Conrad held my upper arm, pushing me in the right direction. Raymond was on the other side, no emotion on his face. Alexandra was still in front of us, her body was up straight and radiating confidence as she walked. Yet she seemed tense as if she was afraid of what might happen at the trial.

I wanted to comfort her, tell her it would be alright, but I couldn't do that right now. I felt angry because I know I am the cause of all her stress and still she was nice enough to deal with it. I admired her for that.

People from her pack walked past us, some whispered to each other, some openly made rude remarks towards me and some just stood there quietly, a variation of emotions visible on their faces. Anger, despair, fear were all emotions showing in their eyes.

Women with children, turned and walked away quickly. Men tightened their grip on their wives, even standing in front of them as if I'd attack any moment.

I couldn't stand the looks anymore so I bowed my head and looked at the ground. I understood their fear so I wouldn't contribute to it any longer than needed.

We were heading in the direction of the woods. There was a visible entrance with a dirt path leading deeper into the dark green void of trees. As we walked down the path I could see small patches of sunlight stream through the leaves. Thick green mos grew on all the tree's bark and white flowers bloomed in open areas.

I decided that this path would've been beautiful on other days if it hadn't lead to your so proclaimed death. But it would be nice if your last scenery could be this before you're finally gone.

We kept to the path for another couple of minutes before we made it to big, rusted, iron gates which bared some sort of crest, which I assumed was the pack's. Two warriors stood in front of the gates, their faces serious and they stood with their arms crossed over their chest.

When they saw us coming down the path, they both turned around and pulled open the two gates to let as through. The bowed their heads as Alexandra walked past, then stood up straight when I was pushed in behind her. One glared me down and the other one had an annoyed look on his face. Conrad just pushed past them and told them to close the gate.

I scanned my surroundings, taking it all in. It looked much different than I'd imagined. The place looked like an old-fashioned courtyard, mostly made out of cobblestone. On the right and left side of the courtyard rose two stone pavilions lined with onlookers who had come to see the fight. At the opposite end there were stairs leading up at least twenty metres to a throne, made out of the same material as the pavilions.

On either side of the throne, there were six smaller stone benches. Three on the left and three on the right, each one occupied by an elder person in black robes. Four of which was men and the other two women.

Conrad pulled on my arm and told me to stop walking. Alexandra kept on going forward until she stood at the foot of the steps. She bowed her head to all the robed people then climbed the stairs towards the throne where she sat down. She waved her hand and the crowd became silent then nodded her head at Conrad, who pulled me forward to the middle of the courtyard.

There he forcefully pushed down on my shoulder making me fall to my knees, then he pushed the back of my head so I would bow.

I heard someone get up, then they spoke, "We are here today for the trial of Matthew Hunter. He is accused of trespassing on our land, attempt of escape and violence against our own. How do you plead?"