Behind Boleyn

By traci_edmunds

Millie has her eyes set on the destruction of Christianity after witch hunts left her bereft. Years of movin... More

I - Millie
II - Every Girl Has Her Charms
III - Love, Angst, Heart of Stone
IV - Scattered
V: England
VI - Favours
VII - Essence of the Moon
VIII - Engagements, Engagements...Oh, the Boleyn Girls!
IX - Little Boy Blue
XI - Spells Broken
XII - Indulgences! Indulgences for Sale!
XIII - Lady-In-Waiting
XIV - Queen Catherine of Aragon
XV - Walking Into Walls.
XVI - Getting to the King
XVII - To Bite the Hand that Feeds You
XVIII - Magical Dusting
XIX - Dawn of New Beginnings
XX - Balancing a Broken Heart
XXI - The Letter
XXII - Power In The Blood
XXIII - Checkmate

X - Secret Engagement

141 28 52
By traci_edmunds

Henry Percy watched Anne through the window of her room. She was packing, getting ready to go to the English court. He knew she would do well there, and vowed to go along with her, even if no one knew except the two of them. Watching her when she was unawares was one of his favourite things to do. She was so beautiful; every expression that crossed her face warmed his heart. Every now and then she would do something that reminded him of one of their many nights together over the years. They had been in love since they were very young.

Henry's own father was the Earl of Northumberland, and he was his father's heir. While Anne came from a well-bred line of nobles, he knew that she would never be good enough in the Earl's view to bring into the family as his wife. Still, he was in love with Anne and held the naïve belief that this would be enough for the two of them to live a happy life.

He watched as she looked out the window and waved to catch her attention. Their eyes met and his heart warmed as Anne's face broke into a broad smile. She dropped what she was doing and he saw her leave her bedroom. He waited under the tree, anticipating the feel of her in his arms once again.

He was not disappointed a few minutes later when she ran towards him, throwing herself at him.

Laughter bubbled out of his chest as she nuzzled his neck. "How are you here, my love?" she whispered into his ear.

"Haven't I already proven that I would follow you anywhere? To the ends of the world, Anne," he replied sincerely.

She pulled back from his neck and kissed him solidly on the lips. "Once you find your way, I suppose," she said with a grin.

His arm jerked forward as Anne lead him to the pond over a slight hill near the wooded area of the property. She pushed him down under a tree and fell on top of him in a pile of material. He pushed her skirts down and looked into her eyes.

"I heard some news the other day. But I don't want you to worry about it, Henry," she began seriously.

His eye twitched. Conversations that started with 'don't worry about it' were never good. He said nothing, only waiting for her to carry on.

"Millie is going to handle things for us."

"You have such faith in your matronly servant, Anne," he replied with a squeeze of her shoulder. "What problem is it that your miracle servant is going to handle?" He listened while Anne told him about her betrothal. When she paused, he just continued to listen. His mind whirled. How could the woman he loved be engaged to another? It felt as if his heart was being ripped once more from his chest, like the day she had left for France with no word. Would she be forever stolen from him? Was love not supposed to win above all else? The poet within him railed against the injustice of it all.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" Anne asked with some desperation.

Henry shook his head in defeat. "What can I say to this? It is an arrangement of the King. What can I do?" He looked at their entwined hands. "Do you think this Millie can change anything?" he asked softly, not daring to hope.

"She can do anything."

Anne's confidence wiggled at him...breaking through his deep sense of loss. He felt the smallest piece of expectation rise within him. "If she is successful, we should wed, Anne."

Anne looked down to the ground. She wanted nothing more than to be with the man she saw before her. She could not deny her love for him. She had tried and failed many times. To marry him would be a dream come true. Already, she could see the adorable babies they could have and the life full of love and laughter they could lead. In addition to that, he was the heir to a great Earldom, certainly a good match for her family. But what about for his? Perhaps if they all worked hard to advance the family within the eyes of the king. Maybe then Henry's father would approve.

"I would love to be your wife, Henry," she said as she leaned in to kiss him.

He pulled back in shock, "What?" he asked in his surprise.

"I would love to spend my life with you. I love you," she repeated with a light laugh.

Henry could barely believe his ears. "Anne, you have made me the happiest man alive," he said as he kissed her lips with abandon. And Anne allowed him to kiss her and she kissed him back. They sat under the shade of the tree and enjoyed each caress.

Finally, Anne pulled away from his embrace. "We must wait, Henry. We cannot announce our intentions until the arrangements with James have been broken. It would be disastrous for my family were anyone to find out our plans."

"It would do neither of our families any good for this joyous news to circulate," he agreed. "Let us keep the news to ourselves for now then. How long before Millie can work her magic?"

"It will take some time, she said," Anne whispered with some disappointment. It would feel like forever before they got to live out the fantasy they both shared. "It is hot," she whispered with a glance at the pond.

"Would my lady like to go for a swim?"

"Yes, in your arms," she sighed. Without a thought, Anne turned her back to him and he expertly undid the laces of her dress, kissing each part of her body as it was exposed. Within minutes, she lay naked before him, gasping as his lips danced across her skin. He knew her so well after all of their years together. She closed her eyes and enjoyed his attentions. When he stopped to take his own clothes off, she jumped into the pond.

Once they were in the water, their foreplay thrilled her to her core. She splashed him and he dodged the droplets by dipping beneath the surface, swimming over to her legs. He caressed her as he came back up to the surface, his nose going over each curve on his way up. She leaned her head back feeling every touch. His nose grazed her neck as he broke through the water and she slowly moved her head to meet his lips with her own. With a sigh, she accepted every part of him and she hoped that this would be what her life offered her every day for the rest of her life.

...soon, she thought, make this be mine soon.

~~

"I don't know if it's the best idea for you to go to court," Thomas said with a soft look in his eye.

"Father, I have been in the French court. I know how to behave appropriately. And don't you think I should learn how the English court works before I am wed?" Anne persisted. She hated to beg, but it was turning out to be her only choice.

"Your sister has the king's favour right now. You will have to avoid his eye."

"Father, I have no desire to catch the king's eye," Anne responded with some confusion. Surely the eye of her Henry Percy, the heir to a prestigious earldom was enough for her. Certainly, a rise for her family, and much better than Mary was getting.

"Very well, then, Anne. We are all going anyway, so you might as well join us. You will stay under your mother's watchful eye."

"Of course, Father," Anne agreed with a grateful smile.

"What's this then?" a voice asked from behind them. Anne turned to see that her mother had joined them.

"Anne was just talking about going to court," her father volunteered. Anne inwardly cringed as her mother narrowed her eyes. It was clear her mother hadn't spoken to her father yet. It was a good thing that Anne had approached him first.  It seemed her mother didn't really want her to go, and after speaking with Claude before departing France, Anne felt like she knew why.

"That is great news," Elizabeth murmured without much conviction. She wanted to save her younger daughter from the appetites of the king. Keeping her away from court had been the only way Elizabeth had seen to make that happen. Anne's quick wit, sweet demeanor and easy smile would make her a target, possibly to the detriment of Mary. Elizabeth could barely stand the thought. All three of them with the same man...

"I'm so glad you feel that way, Mother," Anne said with a smile that did not reach her eyes.

"We shall have to plan together," Elizabeth said, heartfelt. "Why don't we go for a walk in the garden, Anne? Your father is busy with his affairs."

With a nod, the two women left the study and headed outside, away from the prying eyes and ears of the servants.

"You really want to take your chances at court, Anne? You already have a good match with James Butler. A nice estate to raise a family. What more could you want?"

"I want to experience life," Anne persisted. "At least before I am squirreled away in some far away estate, never to be seen again."

"You hope for more," Elizabeth said with an understanding nod. "Are you ready to pay the price for more, Anne?"

Anne stopped walking and searched her mother's eyes and was surprised to see genuine concern.

"More is never free, Anne. I think it may cost you more than you expect."

"I can take care of myself, Mother," Anne said with an unintended sneer. "It's not like I have never been to court."

Elizabeth scoffed at her daughter. "Why do you think we sent you to Queen Claude, Anne? She is a gentle soul but she runs a smooth court. It is not the same in England."

"You don't think I can handle it, but I can, Mother. You just wait and see."

"Very well, then. I can see that you won't be swayed. But please, daughter, heed my advice and avoid the ever-searching eye of the king. There are other ways to have excitement at court."

Anne nodded her head in agreement, remembering the rumours.

"That's my girl." Elizabeth stroked Anne's hair lovingly before turning around and heading back to the house.

Anne chewed her lip as she watched her mother go. She would show her mother how one worked the court.

~~

A/N Thank you so much for reading. Please leave your comments and don't forget about that cute little star down there ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 305 21
Journey into the madness of Wonderland. Embark on an incredible adventure with the friends (and enemies) you make along the way. With The Cheshire Ca...
3.8K 1.7K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...
7.8K 895 80
How do you cope with learning that your mother was murdered before you were born, your father is a fairy hitman, and you wield the power to raise an...
7K 967 52
(13x Featured, Award Winner) She is ruthless. She is scorned. And her blood? The darkest shade of blue. *** When Queen Aravena basically life-threate...