The Middle Child

By laurenhouser908

She's the middle child in a family of nine, and she's almost always forgotten. So when a family moves next do... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 8

13.3K 430 23
By laurenhouser908

It's been two weeks since Alyson talked to the boys. She felt sad that they refused to talk to her. She'd texted them but none of them answered. Figures, she finally started to make some new friends but they don't seem to want to be around her.

She felt stupid. Just because she knew about them doesn't mean they'll want to around her. She knew it was too good to be true. She just wasn't meant for friends and even now she wasn't able to see the forest creatures since she'd be walking into skinwalker territory, alone. The thought was tempting but she had a young pup to care for.

Speaking of which he whined softly noticing her discomfort and waddled over to her. He nuzzled her softly. She allowed him on her lap her hands petting his fur unconsciously.

"You're such a good boy Kai," Alyson says laughing. He doesn't seem to growl and whine loudly. It's like he knows when to play around and when not to. He loves to play around in the blueberry bushes when Alyson has to check up on them.

Kai's been developing just as he should, faster than even she expected. He seems really smart too not that the other pups she'd met weren't smart but Kai was smart in a whole different way. It seemed the two of them were connected in every motion. Maybe this was something to do with her ability to speak to animals but she'd never had this connection to another animal before. She figures it's because he knows all they've got is each other.

"Want to go pick some berries?" Alyson asks looking outside the sky is dark. She can't seem to be able to sleep at night now ever since she'd met the Maikohs. So instead she tends to the blueberries at night. The pup gives a quiet howl.

"Let's go!" Alyson says. She scoops the pup up and climbs down the tree. Eventually, she'd have to figure out another way to get him up and down from the attic. She'd deal with it when it came, but for now, she'd just carry him up and down. He, however, was an ass about it. He'd wiggle and worm trying to get out of the bag.

"Give me a second boy! Jeez!" Alyson says letting Kai out of the bag as soon as she touches the ground.

"Remember to stay close!" Alyson called as Kai ran ahead of her. She took her time strolling down the bushes and checking on them. She heard Kai's excited barks as he ran around making sure to stay were Alyson could see him.

Alyson found a bush that had all its berries plucked away. Her eyebrows scrunch together in confusion. Her heart starts to pound. She hears Kai start to growl softly.

"Kai?" She calls looking around frantically. When she doesn't instantly see him, her blood starts to run cold. She could hear him growling softly. She ran to where the sound was coming from. She spots Kai having a staring contest with another wolf. It's unfamiliar.

"Kai!" Alyson says running and scooping up the pup.

"Who are you?" Alyson asks looking the wolf dead in the eyes. The wolf's hazy golden eyes turn to slits.

"I'm not afraid of you," Alyson says. She isn't in the least not after almost getting eatin' by Dustin. This Were was much smaller and definitely less scary. The wolf growls loudly. Kai squirms in her arms trying to hide. She places him in her bag.

"Honestly. You Weres are all the same, thick skulled and much too prideful," Alyson says. The Were growls louder.

"If you're not careful my family will spot you. Imagine having to explain that to your elders," Alyson says. The wolf growls even louder.

"I said stop it!" Alyson says her voice holding intense power and strength. It flows through her warming her body. The wolf feels it too and it's growl softens a bit.

"I believe you are trespassing. Your land is beyond the forest," Alyson says her voice frim. The Were growls again gaining more confidence. Man, this one was thicker skulled then Dustin.

"I suggest you leave me and my pup alone," Alyson says turning her back from the beast. She feels it get ready to pounce. Grabbing hold of a tree branch Alyson holds Kai close to her as she swings up into the tree before the Were can even touch her. She places the bag with Kai in it securely on the branch.

"Stay here good boy, I've got some stupid Were to handle," Alyson says dropping from the tree and behind the Were. Its coat was a chestnut colour and its eyes were golden slits.

"Are you a friend of the Maikohs? If so I suggest you back home or you might get yourself in more trouble than you're worth," Alyson says. The Wolf's posture stiffened at the mention of the Maikohs.

"Yeah, I'd suggest you run along now," Alyson says her body tight with instinctual fear, this was a wolf after all. The wolf seemed to chuckle and launched at her. As it did so a familiar grey wolf leapt onto him and stopped the attack.

Hayden's wolf form growled loudly and dangerously at the Chestnut coloured wolf.

"Hayden?" Alyson asks unable to stop herself.

"Are you okay?" Hayden asks his voice clearly full of rage.

"Yeah just shaken up is all," Alyson says gripping the tree branch and swinging herself up. She checks on Kai. He's shaking wildly. Alyson's eyes soften.

"Kai, baby it's okay," Alyson says scooping the pup out of her bag and into her arms and holding him to her chest.

"Is Kai okay?" Hayden asks still watching the other wolf.

"He's just scared is all, he's never seen something so aggressive and rude," Alyson says putting emphasis on the word rude and staring pointedly at the unknown wolf.

"Sorry about that, Dylan can be an ass sometimes," Hayden says.

"He can't be as bad as Dustin," Alyson says, "What are you guys doing out this close to people?"

"We were hunting, but someone had to the one place we told him not to," Hayden says pointedly.

"Then had the nerve to try and attack me," Alyson says.

"He's still young, which means he's a complete idiot," Hayden says. The chestnut coloured wolf- who was staring between Alyson and Hayden confused- growled softly. Hayden paid him no mind.

"No wonder he was so sloppy," Alyson says. Dylan, as Hayden called him, turned to her and growled. At this Hayden turned around and gave a warning growl.

"Well, you seem to have your hands full. I better go. I'll see you around," Alyson says turning away and started to walk away.

"Don't go!" Hayden said his voice held so much emotion it made Alyson freeze. Her own emotions suddenly took over.

"Why? You all ignore me for two weeks and appear out of nowhere. What do you want?" Alyson asks her voice lacking her usual playful tone and is replaced with a wary one and tired one.

"I was actually coming to ask a favour of you," Hayden says not meeting her eye.

"Oh so now, you ask a favour out of me. Don't waste your breathe. I got the hint loud and clear when you all refused to have any form of contact with me. I understand completely, I'm just some human who was in the wrong place at the wrong time," Alyson said turning away from him again. He runs in front of her.

"The Skinwalkers are taking over the forest and there are many sightings of them in the town. Please, we-I need your help," Hayden says his voice pulling down the walls she had worked so hard to build over the past few weeks.

"Fine, but if I feel like Kai or myself are in danger I'm leaving immediately," Alyson says looking the wolf in the eyes coldly. Hurt passes through his eyes, she ignores it.

"I'll be back in ten, I need to feed Kai and pack a bag. Until then you better get that mutt under control," Alyson says walking away. Her heart pounded in her chest, her blood boiled.

Here she was hoping Hayden had just come to see how she was, but no he came to use her. And she was going to let him. She growled and climbed the tree. Kai was now calmed down and sleeping in her bag. She gently woke him up.

"C'mon bud its dinnertime. Then we're going on an adventure." Kai yaps excitedly at the mention of food. He doesn't need the bottle anymore and is eating soft meats and a few veggies. Once she made his meal she puts it on a plate. While he eats Alyson packs a bag full of necessities.

~~~~~~~

"Up," Alyson calls and Kai leaps into her arms.

"We're going to be with some big wolves and some new ones I suppose, I want you to stay close to me if you're walking on your own, Okay?" Alyson asks. Kai yaps and follows Alyson closely as she walks back to where she left Hayden and Dylan.

"You two ready?" Alyson asks.

"Yep," Hayden replies stretching from where he was laying.

"I've got a few questions," Alyson says.

"Shoot."

"How many new Weres are there?"

"Three Dylan here, Luca, and the eldest brother Nate, Dylan's 14, Luca is 18, and Nate is 20," Hayden says practically spitting the eldest's name.

"Are they all as rude as Dylan here?" Alyson asks.

"Most likely more annoying than rude," Hayden says.

"What exactly am I needed for?" Alyson asks she'd been leading up to this question as she watched Kai bat around a blueberry and chases it then waits for Alyson to come closer to chases the berry more.

"We need you to guide us the deepest part of the woods so we can find where all the Skinwalkers are," Hayden says.

"Aren't you guys like experts in tracking and stuff?" Alyson asks.

"Yes, but it's much easier if we get someone who knows the place to show us around," Hayden explains.

"Oh, and one more question, am I going to have to bridge with them?" Alyson asks warily.

"Unforuntitly so," Hayden answers. Alyson groans. They make it to the familiar clearing. Alyson raises an eyebrow.

"What? It's a good midpoint!" Hayden says defensively. She looks around and notices a large number of Weres around her. Before she could say anything an albino wolf jumps on her.

"Archerson!" Mason says challenging.

"Maikoh!" Alyson says her tone matching Mason's. The two unfamiliar wolves look at them surprised. One has emerald green eyes and a light blond colour to his coat. The other has a solid steel grey colour, much darker than Hayden's smoke grey coat. His eyes an icy blue.

Kai comes over and starts to bite at Mason.

"You better watch it! I've got a guard dog now!" Alyson says pushing the heavy wolf off her.

"Collin, good to see you," Alyson says to the multicoloured wolf.

"Good to see you too Alyson," Collin says.

"And how can I leave out my best friend, Dustin so good to see you again," Alyson says sarcastically. The midnight coloured wolf rolls his eyes and lays his head back down. Asshole Alyson thought to herself.

"Ouch! I thought I was your best friend!" Mason says faking hurt.

"I never said you were!" Alyson said laughing Mason joins in. "You two must be Luca and Nate."

They nodded, Alyson almost forgot they couldn't speak with her yet.

"Sorry forgot. Let's build a connect before I forget. And I swear if you two are as rude as your brother I'm leaving!" Alyson said giving a look at Dylan who sheepishly walks over.

"I can only do it one at a time and I need to make a physical touch. So don't freak when I touch you," Alyson says as trots between the three new Weres.

Alyson starts with the blonde one, She reaches out and puts a hand on his back. Closing her eyes she builds a bridge.

"Hello?" She reaches.

"Luca here!" He says like he's speaking into a radio.

"Gottcha, Over and out," Alyson says playfully. Dylan was next, she built the bridge with him quickly. Lastly was the steel grey wolf who she assumed was Nate.

She started to build a bridge and a sinking feeling washed over her. She ignored it and pushed the bridge to stay together.

"Nicely done, Angel," Nate says his voice deep and almost frightening.

"Don't call me that unless you want to die a slow and painful death," Alyson says to Nate her expression changing dramatically. Kai whined softy from his place next to her. Alyson got bad vibes from this guy.

"Alright now that that's done let's get going. Getting to the middle of the forest will take at least two days so be prepared for a journey," Alyson says petting Kai softly as she remains seated.

"Two days?" Dylan's voice rang surprised.

"Have you seen the size of this forest?" Alyson snapped at the boy. That seemed to shut him up.

"Everyone ready?" Nate asks. Alyson nods and stands Kai following her lead.

"Now I don't know about you all but I'm not in the mood to get killed tonight, so watch out for skinwalkers," Alyson says a mighty yawn escaping her mouth.

"You're warning us about Skinwalkers? You're the human here!"Dylan says.

"I may be human but you are a sloppy, uneducated, and just plain stupid werewolf. So I suggest you shut it or I'll-" Alyson is cut off by a howling noise from Kai. She feels fear in him and sees his body go ridged.

"Kai? What is it?" Alyson asks her head tilting slightly to the left. Kai's fur stands on end.

"Up!" Alyson says and Kai runs to her and jumps into her arms. She puts him in the safety of her bag, his head peeps out and she feels his quiver. She draws her knife and spins it expertly in her hands.

"I'm going to get the high ground," Alyson said not daring to udder an actual word. She grabs a tree limb and is in the tree in an instant. She manoeuvres them with speed.

"What do you see?" Nate asks.

"Nothing," Alyson says as she searches the from the tree line. A feeling of dread washed over her suddenly as her blood started to run cold. Skinwalker? she asked herself. Yes, but different than before.

Alyson gives Kai the hand signal to stay, he lays down but gives a soft whine.

"Skinwalkers from the north, but they feel different. More I dunno dreadful," Alyson says shuttering.

"What's that mean?" Dustin asks sharply.

"It means they're getting stronger," Luca says. Alyson preps herself as the skinwalkers lunge from every direction.

They're eyes glowing a sickly amber, human-shaped but with no heart in them. Alyson plunged her knife into a beast's head. She yanked back aggressively and whomped another with the end of the handle. Its skull was crushed. The wolves were taking them down left and right.

She heard a yipe and looked around panicked. Dylan has been cut by one of the Skinwalkers. He was turning back into a human. Alyson ran to him, yanked off her hoodie, and started to apply pressure. She knew the guys would cover her.

"Am I going to turn?" Dylan asks scared, his voice quivering.

"I don't think so, I've only seen them turn when you die," Alyson says. Putting pressure on the wound. She needed her bag it had medical supplies in it. She looked at Kai he was sitting uneasily outside the bag.

"Kai, push the bag off the branch! Hayden grab it and bring it over," Alyson commands as blood pools between her fingers. Kai's small body struggles with the much heavier bag but manages to get it off the branch. Hayden quickly picks it up and runs to her.

"This is going to hurt a lot, put this in your mouth," Alyson says putting a clean hand rag into his mouth.

"So you won't bite off your tongue," Alyson says grabbing the alcohol and pouring it into the wound. He squirms a bit and yelps in pain. She grabs a needle its thread already attached and begins to sew up the wound. The cries of the Dylan fall on deaf ears as Alyson focuses on making her stitches pierce through the skin and pull it back together. She stopped counting the stitches after 20. She finished the stitches and placed gaze over it then an ace bandage over that. Her eyes never left the ripped portion of his side.

"Am I done?" Dylan asks his face red and tears streaming down his face.

"Yes," Alyson says cleaning up her mess and looks around. When did they finish off the Skinwalkers? Had she really been that focused? Then she realized something, Why could she see Dylan's bare chest? The thought hit her suddenly and she blushed harshly.

Of course, he was naked, wolves don't wear clothes! She thought to herself. She didn't want to see anything she wasn't supposed to so she pulled out a blanket and averted her eyes as she covered him with it.

At this she heard Mason's laughter, "it's about time you realized!"

"It's not funny!" Alyson says her blush running deeper and she throws a stick at him, This only makes him laugh more.

"But seriously he's not gonna become one of those things is he?" Alyson asks her face concerned as she looked at the now sleeping Dylan.

"No, he's a Were and the only way he can get turned is if he died. But say if you got scratched then you'd become one," Dustin says. Alyson felt her blood still in her veins. If she were to get so much as a cut she'd be dead or even worse a skinwalker.

"Good I promised him he wouldn't turn," Alyson says standing. Kai catches her attention he's seated next to Hayden. Looking at her uneasily and whining softly. She kneels and opens her arms for the pup. He comes running to her instantly.

"Good boy! You did so well!" She says petting him gently.

"You know the way you treat him I'd almost forget he's a wolf," Collin says laughing. Alyson sticks out her tongue at him.

"So, what now?" Alyson asks.

"We'll have to wait here while he heals. The sun will be rising soon anyway, we need to transform back soon," Luca says.

"Please tell me you guys have like back up clothes or something?" Alyson asks.

"In the bags," Dustin says and Alyson notices the small bags on their sides. She sighs with relief and plops back down on the ground next to the young Were.

"Go ahead, I'll guard while you guys go transform," Nate volunteers. Hayden stiffens.

"I'll wait here too, One of us won't be enough if a Skinwalker comes out of nowhere," Hayden says sitting down next to me.

I suddenly realize how cold it is out here, my jacket was out of the question. It was now covered in Dylan's blood, though I had long sleeves under it I was still cold. My blanket was the only thing covering Dylan's bare body and I didn't want to move that an inch.

"Alyson, Can I ask you some questions?" Nate says his grey fur blending in with the night.

"Sure," Alyson says holding Kai closer to her for warmth and to make sure he was safe.

"How'd you know how to do that?" he asks his eyes soft yet his tone was serious.

"What do you mean? Is what I did wrong? I figured he was still human so he'd-" Alyson said rambling and her teeth start to chatter.

"No I mean you instantly ran over and, figured out a plan to save him. How?" Nate asks.

"Well, I have eight siblings so keeping a cool head when in danger is natural for me. Secondly, I was in a high school the offered a veterinary training, so I learned how to stitch wounds," Alyson says her body freezing now. Hayden seemed to notice and laid close to her. His body heat rolled off him instantly making Alyson warmer.

"Whow, that's so cool. Not only can you fight like a badass, but you know medicine too!" Nate says winking at her," You're the total package! The looks, the badassness, the personality. Damn." Alyson's cheeks burn and Alyson could practically feel the anger radiating off Hayden. He let out a low primal growl, Kai joins the growl too, both pointed towards Nate.

"Hey! Stop it! I'm too tired to deal with you two fighting!" Alyson says her voice serious and drained.

"Alyson you seemed tired," Hayden says his voice worried.

"You'd be correct about that," Alyson says yawning the newfound warmth of Hayden was making her sleepier. Before she knew it she'd fallen asleep leaning on Hayden's warmth. Her arm wrapped protectively around Kai holding him close to her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137 1 17
He saved her from a terrible car accident when she was a just kid but she still lost her parents. She has no memory of that night but when he comes b...
2K 70 3
Part witch, part wolf, just wanting to be human. Accepted by none. ~~~~ She has lived most of her life an outcast simply due to the circumstances...
468K 17.1K 54
So Mari is the eldest child, at the age of nine she watches as her mom and dad are slaughtered by the rogues pack, Her pack is small but come from a...
181 52 11
After civil war breaks out amidst political turmoil, three sisters must survive on their own. A journey to find safe haven, the sisters find more tha...