Starr Academy: Year One

By Katherin3Coitier

The Starr Academy is one of the most premier and exclusive school in the United States of America. So exclusi... More

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38

Part 1

111K 1.3K 285
By Katherin3Coitier

One

The end of the summer. Most would hate it and try to cram as much fun into their last few days as they could. Most would be out at the beach that was so close soaking up as much sun as their bodies could and they didn't care if they burned either. They would rejoice in that pain which meant they would look great for their school's homecoming.

Well... That was everyone but me. I didn't care. What was there to care about. My summer sucked. My friends had moved away at the start of it leaving me alone. Their parents moving them away. Far away.

I tried to take solace in the places we hung out at, but that never worked. I would just feel even more alone and more of the freak I used to be. The one my brothers would pin everything on or sucker into doing their chores.

I was that insignificant person again. Had been since the start of the summer. Had been the moment school got out and I was friendless. Since they had friends, everything was set on my shoulders or the house would have been a mess.

Everyday during the summer was the same. I'd wake to the sound of the shower squealing as my bedroom was right next to the bathroom. The walls were paper thin as if was a house built by crappy, cut every corner possible, construction company during the new deal that helped people get jobs they most desperately needed. That the company needed to make so many cheap houses for as little as they could. My bed so happened to rest against the wall that butted up to the bathroom.

I would get up and dress. Go to the tiniest kitchen ever and make breakfast for everyone. I was the designated house chef as my brothers would most likely kill us with their cooking. My mom was the one getting ready so she didn't have time to cook anything, especially for herself. My dad? He's in Washington state and we're in Virginia. A step-dad? He can't be bothered with the "womanly duties" as he puts it, so no...he doesn't cook.

My mom has three kids. Me being her one and only daughter. To be the next in line in my family to go into the medical profession. Its all I hear from my mom when she is talking to one of her friends when they as her what I wanted to be when I grow up. My grandmother and a few of my aunts are the same way.

There is one aunt that has actually asked me what "I" wanted to be when I grow up. She was the only one who really cared what I wanted in life. I told her I wanted to write and paint and be a fully artistic person. She smiled and told me not to lose that enthusiasm. She was my favorite aunt.

My mom and dad devoiced when I was two. They had a rocky love/hate marriage. Apparently they only got married when my mom was pregnant with my big brother by another man. They had dated off and on for years before they married. He did it because he loved her then and wanted to be a father to her child. That didn't work out that way very much.

They had two kids together. Me and my little brother. (I'm a middle child to boot.) We were a little over a year apart. From what I hear, I was expected, my little brother wasn't in the slightest. The reason they devoiced was because my dad thought my mom cheated on him and my little brother was the other man's. Not true by the way. My little brother was all his.

Back to my routine... After breakfast, I'm left all alone in the house as everyone went their own ways leaving me behind. No one asking if I wanted to join them if they were going to the beach. No one even glancing back to see if I was alright to be alone. Sometimes they even lock the top lock of the front door totally forgetting I was inside.

I'd spend time cleaning the house as there really wasn't anything for me to do but that. I'd do laundry. I'd dust every few days. I'd read some books. Since I'm dyslexic, it helps to keep reading and overcoming my disability so it wasn't one. I'd sometimes write my own stories just for the hell of it. If I was bored with nothing else to do, I'd watch TV.

Before everyone got home, I'd have dinner ready and waiting. Most of the time, dinner was cold when they got in. My brothers laughing with his friends and telling them they could have dinner there. Thankfully I knew to eat the moment dinner was ready or I wouldn't have anything to eat.

Again I would be ignored, forgotten. No one coming to my door asking how my day was. What I got up to. If I went out. I was their silent little Cinderella. Well...excluding the cinder part as we don't have a fireplace. I was the cook, the maid, the housewife minus the wife part.

Don't get me wrong, I like that they leave me alone. But... I would like that they gave a flying frack about me. That they just said hi to me when they got home. Is that too much to ask for? In my family, yes it was.

Yes. I know. I just did the Battlestar Galactica curse. I hate saying that other word. I hate cursing most of the time anyways. My step-father does it enough for all of us. And my brothers are just as bad.

Some days I would walk the ten minutes to the small patch of forest behind my old elementary school where my friends and I used to swing on the vines that hung all over the place. Long ago it used to be junk yard, but now it was a dismal patch of forest that has a rug between a three trees and broken bottles that were now weathered enough that they no longer had sharp edges.

Those days, I would climb up a vine and sit in another that made up a makeshift swing. I would remember how it was to have my friends there with me and we'd actually use these as swings for hours. I would feel my heart tighten and ache missing them. My old elementary school's name was perfect for it. Sherwood Forest. It had the forest thing right. The trees behind it were thick nearest the school. There was even a stream running through it. Too bad the stream was the storm run off from the street and the neighbors around here. I wouldn't suggest drinking any of that water even if you were homeless. You'd die for sure.

Now there was a week before my first day of high school. And I didn't have a friend there to greet me. I didn't feel optimistic for me going. My brothers' friends would laugh at me. My brothers wouldn't care to help me. Others would most likely laugh that I'm starting high school with my little brother.

I sighed. Its been like that my whole life and I blame my mom. I had started elementary school on my own. All by myself and I was fearless. I thought I would be fine, but that's not life. I was fine. It was worse. By the end of kindergarten, my teacher had me signed up for a "spiral" class. A class in between grades.

You see, what I hadn't known that first day was that my mom had slacked when raising me. She had taught my brothers the basic things they needed, but neglected to do the same for me. Where I should have known my ABCs, I didn't. I didn't even know my 123s like I should have. I was miserably behind.

From then on, I was learning at the level my little brother was learning at. And I've been the one to live with that. I'm known as the stupid one in my family. The slow learner.

It wasn't till my third grade teacher was wonderful enough to realize my learn problems. My mom had been un aware of my set backs. She seemed to not really care either. She cared with my brothers, but not me. It took that amazing woman of a humble teacher to take me under her wing to help me. That year I got back to spend with my peers. Or should I say my brother's peers.

Right now I'm sitting out on the porch just reading. The front porch is nothing but a four foot by four foot slab of concrete raised up for three steps and an awning. The only thing interesting about our meek porch was the iron railings that hold the awning up. They're the best thing about this house I think. Especially the swirl in between the black iron supports on the metal posts.

It hurt to read here, but at least I was outside in the nice sunlight. Not inside being the hermit that the lost of my friends have turned me into. I don't go anywhere any more. Besides the grocery store from time to time. Who was I going to have fun with? No one. Just myself. Which is so sad.

"Excuse me?" I slowly lifted my head up from the book I was ready and my eyes grew wide at the owner of that voice. A guy my age. A handsome guy my age stood right in front of me. I swallowed nervously at the sight of him.

His slightly dark brown hair had hints of rust and gold where the sunlight hit it. He had the most delicious hazel eyes that looked like a third of it was golden. Jade and gold mixed gloriously together. He was tall. Around six foot with muscles that showed through his tight t-shirt and jeans.

I shook out of my gawking when he smiled and raised an eyebrow. "Y-yes." I mentally kicked myself. I never was any good around the opposite sex since I turned twelve. Damn hormones.

He closed his eyes and chuckled lightly. He thought it was funny that I stuttered. He must think I'm a nerd for doing that. It wasn't my fault that I didn't know what to be around guys!

He opened his eyes looking right into mine. "I was wondering if you were Hope. Hope Lund?" Okay. That was weird that he knew my name.

"Um... Yes?" I grimaced at the lack of confidence in my voice. That was my name and I should be confident.

He cocked his head to the side. "You sure?" He sounded amused by the lack of confidence.

"Yes. Yes I am." I tilted my chin up more and spoke with confidence this time.

He grinned. "Nice to finally meet you. I'm Marek Knightly." He gestured to the step next to me. "Do you mind if I have a seat with you while I wait?"

I look between the spot and him. "Sure." I said confidently as I didn't want him to ask if I was sure again. He chuckled again before sitting down. He placed his elbows on the hard porch floor as he sat one step down like me. His legs stretched out before him crossed at the ankles.

I was sat with my knees up to my chest. Arms wrapped around them holding my book which has now been forgotten. I'm hunched over slightly so my slightly taller height can't be seen. I was born half of me being legs. I'm still that was to this day and been told I will always be.

"May I ask why you're here and know my name?"

He raised a shocked eyebrow. "Your folks haven't talked to you?"

My forehead scrunched. "They were supposed to talk to me about something?" I looked down to the ground in front of me and sighed. Of course they wouldn't find time to talk to me about anything. Even if it has to do with me.

"Wow. I've never heard of this happening. Someone not knowing and not prepared for this." Did I detect a hint of pity in that voice of his?

I looked over to him and he had his head hung back looking up at the tin roof of the awning. "Prepared for what?"

He glanced over with his eyes before he looked back up at the awning and shook his head. "Your folks need to tell you. I can't be the one."

I looked out at the street resting my chin on my knee. "Like they would talk to me anyways. Like they would find time in their busy lives to think of me." I whispered.

"I'm sure they just forgot." I felt him sitting up and drape an arm around my shoulder.

I lightly shrug his arm off and he takes the hint. "Sorry. I don't know you."

He nodded looking down. "I apologize." He turned his head and looked at me. "Have you had a good summer?"

I shook my head but gave no answer.

He sighed lightly. "I'm sorry. I know your school year will be better than that."

I leaned against the iron railing and looked at him. "How was your summer?"

It looked like he was fighting a smile. "It was alright."

"I bet you had a fun summer."

He shrugged and smiled. "It wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad." I knew he was down playing it for my sake. He looked back at the house. "Are you here all alone?"

I looked at him sideways. "Why do you want to know?"

He held up his hands in surrender. "Not in the bad guy sort of way. Just curious is all."

I smiled brightly when my cat, Night, came bouncing up the walkway and into my lap. I stroked her as she looked at Marek. She seemed to purr at him. He smiled at her. "She's a beautiful fully black cat. What's her name?"

I scratched behind her ears. "Night."

"That's a beautiful name for her. Can I pet her?" He asked and Night looked at me. I smiled and nodded.

We spent about an hour outside petting Night. Eventually we went inside and I made us lunch. Simple grilled cheese that I put sauteed onions in the middle up. It was nice having someone around and talking to me. I had missed it so much this summer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.5K 2.2K 25
The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted. The Mikaelson Academy for the Elite and Superior. Two schools. A decade-old rivalry. What happens when...
2K 49 56
[âš  UNDER MAJOR EDITING âš ] "W-why did you leave me?" I asked tears streaming down my face. "I'm sorry! I had to! I had no choice!" "Do you have any i...
609K 20.1K 47
HEIRS SERIES #1 ~Eres Academy~ Paige Bennet is a commoner. Wealth isn't in her vocabulary, nor is designer...
509K 12K 35
It's Hope's final year in Starr Academy. What does this year bring the newly single magical girl? If the first day of school would tell, her past wil...