The World Over

By Jemmaleena

William Cunningham the fifth and his father play a vital part in the furnishings of the titanic, thus securin... More

The World Over
Large Ships and Large Rocks
Run Away Child
The Express Letter
A Good Deed
The Date
The Twisted Circus
The Tour
Letters in the Past
The Devil at the Table
The House on Murray Street
The Burden before Christmas
The Decision of My Life
Dream to New York
Oceanic Sickness
Tragically Lost
Granddad Smith
Love My Family
The Green Woman
The Man with the Photo Business
The House in Westchester
Books On The Phone
The Perfect Place
Remember This Day
Bad News in New York Times
Back To England
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty

A Surprise Worth Diamonds

208 11 6
By Jemmaleena

Chapter Fifteen

      A Surprise Worth Diamonds

Edith’s POV

We stepped into our room, room number ninety-five and stood awestruck in the doorway. The room was filled of lavish reds and gold’s; expensive paintings hung on the walls and in the middle of the room was a large four poster bed, drapes coming down from the corners. I had never seen anything so rich and I felt so privileged, the way everything was set was pristine and I felt so out of place, but I was used to the feeling now, so I decided to ignore it. I mean even when I’m with William, i get the feeling.

William wandered past me with our luggage and set it down at the foot of the bed, turning towards me. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” He spoke softly, holding his hand out for me. I smiled and took his hand, which he used to pull me to his chest, his heat vibrating in waves around me.

“It is.” I replied, getting away from his embrace and walking around him to the luggage and opening it up, proceeding to put it all away correctly. Well, not all of it, just the right amount of clothes for the journey.

“Darling, you do not need to do that.” He told me, stopping my hand from hanging up a dinner jacket.

“I do, the creases will come out of the clothes this way.” I responded, taking his hand off my own and placing it on the hanger before placing it in our temporary wardrobe.

“No you do not, I will hire a third class passenger, I am sure they will appreciate the money.” He spoke from behind me.

I turned around instantly. “Do not be silly William, save your money! It will be quicker if I do it and it will be done the way I like it.”

He looked a little sad but he smiled none the less. “Sorry Edith. I just want you to be able to enjoy this lifestyle.” He told me and I let out a small aww.

“Thank you, but I am used to doing this all on my own and I would prefer it as well. Yes, I did not enjoy service, but that was because I was cleaning somebody else’s house. I am going to enjoy doing the same if it is for our house William.” I informed him, whilst folding some of his trousers.

“Okay then, but we do need to get you some more clothes.” He told me and I nodded my head. I was going to ask him that later on tonight. I hardly own any clothes, and those I do are torn and dirty.

“I was going to ask you if I could borrow some money to get some at dinner.” I chuckled but he frowned.

“Ask to borrow money? Edith, my money is now our money.”

I gasped. “William, I do not deserve it at all. Do not be so stupid.” I berated him but he still did not smile.

“Edith, I will want you to be my wife one day, and everything will be shared between us, so now we can start practicing. Please, I want to give you something in return for staying and coming to New York with me.” He replied and a smile appeared on my lips.

“Oh Mr Cunningham you do know how to say the right words sometimes.” I laughed as I patted him lightly on the stomach before going around him. “What time is dinner tonight?” I wondered as I grabbed another pair of trousers.

“It is at half past five.” He informed me, kissing me on the cheek before standing by the door. “I am going to talk to the captain, I shall be back soon.” He spoke and I nodded my head before he exited the room.

After folding the clothes, I looked through the clothes I had hung up for myself and went through them, to see which clothes I could wear, realising that none of them were suitable. William wandered in again and I tried to give him a nice smile of greeting, but could not. I did not want to embarrass him. “Are you okay darling?” William asked concerned and I shook my head.

“William, I cannot go to dinner tonight. I have no clothes that are suitable.” I told him, sitting on the bed, my back hunched forward, not wanting to look at him.

He lifted my chin up with his fingers. “Edith, I have found a shop on board that sell’s clothes. I have arranged for you to go around and choose some. I have already given them a sum of money so you can choose whatever you like.” He spoke and I gave him a huge smile. That will solve my problem of tonight and the rest of the trip which is great.

“Thank you.” I told him. “Can you show me the shop now?” I asked as I got up and dusted myself down, even if the chances of getting dust on my dress in this room are slim to none.

He nodded his head and I linked my arm through his as he escorted me out of the room and up to the top deck. The strong wind and smell of the sea hit me and it was stronger than what I had ever smelt and felt by the docks. He took me towards the inside where there were a few people that were sat drinking tea. They nodded their heads in a polite gesture as we passed them. “Do you know that woman over there?” William whispered whilst pointing discreetly to a heavily set woman in the corner alone. I nodded my head to show him I saw her. “Her husband died last year of a heart attack. Three weeks after his funeral, she married some other man and he left her for being cold-hearted two weeks before Christmas this year. Due to the death of her first husband, she is a very rich woman, but nobody will go near her.” He informed me as we walked out of the room and through to another one.

I laughed. “Where do you hear these things?” I asked as we wandered up a corridor.

He smirked, “my mother knew a lot of people.” He chuckled and I smiled.

“You sound like a woman.” I scolded playfully and he flashed me a smile before taking me inside a room.

“Here, the woman is called Florence, or Florrie for short and she will do anything you say, so enjoy it.” He told me. “I will meet you at the room before dinner starts.” He ended before exiting the room and leaving me standing there alone, not knowing what to do.

A woman came out of a door in the top right corner of the room; she was wearing a cream with black pinstripes dress which had a shawl that tied in a huge bow at the front, just below her neckline. She smiled at me. “You must be Edith Cunningham?” She asked and I stood shocked. Cunningham? Had he told everybody that? “Still used to the married name, it is normal.” She continued to smile and I nodded my head just going along.

“Ahh yes, I keep forgetting sometimes.” I replied smiling myself.

“So, William told me that you need some new dresses, do you want to follow me?” She informed me, walking into the room she had just exited and I nodded my head following her. I closed the door behind me and the room was filled with dresses and suits of the latest fashions. “So, what do you like?” She asked and still stood in awe at all the beautiful dresses that I could take a pick of.

I wandered over to one side of the room and let my hand glide over them softly as I took them all in. It was doing this that made me realise that now I was a woman of money. It was hard to grasp, I had always been a poor, dirty girl with no dreams. Of course I dreamed of finding a prince, but I was not deluded enough to believe I was actually going to find one. But now I have and it feels so nice to have somebody by my side.

I stopped at a rose pink lace dress with beige dressing underneath to not reveal anything. It was beautiful. I pulled it out from between the various other dresses and put it against the length of my body, admiring its beauty more. The sash that went around the waist was the same rose pink but it included a silvery touch, tied together by a burgundy chrysanthemum flower that was obviously fake but gorgeous nonetheless.

“Please may I have this one?” I asked and she nodded her head as she wandered over to me.

“I love this dress. It was shipped to my shop from Paris.” She replied. “My husband and I are immigrating to New York to open our own clothing store.”

“I am sure you will do great with these dresses, they are all so pretty.” I told her. “What will the clothing line be called?” I asked. If we are to stay in money, I would love to buy more clothes off her, she is really good.

“Cherie. It means dear in French, but it is such a beautiful word that when my husband called it me in French once, I fell in love with it.

“It sounds beautiful.” I agreed. She took the dress out of my hands and placed it in a bag carefully, hanging it on a rail that had no dresses on.

I looked through the dresses that I had not quite got to, and picked out a further four dresses, all various colours. “I will get some help with dresses Madam, please just wait.” She told me, but before I could protest, she was out of the room.

I sat down on one of the cotton, lilac chairs with mahogany legs and back, waiting for her to return with some girl or boy who was trying to earn a few pennies.

A few moments later, so wandered in through the door, a little girl that I seemed to recognise following. “Mam, this is Harriet.” She informed me and the little girl curtseyed me making me feel self-concious.

“Harriet, there is no need for that.” I told her. The woman placed the dresses onto the girl’s arms which were held out and warned her to not move her arms or she would not be paid. The girl was not any older than eight years old and I felt so sorry for her. “Thank you for the dresses.” I thanked the woman before exiting the room with the little girl.

“Mam, where is your room?” She asked timidly and I gave her a warm smile.

“Room ninety-five.” I replied. “What is your room number?” I asked.

“I do not know, my mum and dad do though.” She told me.

“Are you all going to New York?” I asked and she nodded her head.

“Oh yes Madam, we have been to Paris and London and they are so magical!” She cried a huge smile on her face.

“You do not need to call me Madam, Harriet.” I spoke as we entered my room. How she knew where my room was I do not know. The ship had only been in the waters for four hours. She must have been doing these favours to earn money. It was only last week that I was as desperate as her, but it seems a lot longer than that. A lot has happened in a week, all for the good. I still want to find my mother and father, but I also need to keep my life moving forward. I cannot stay in Southampton, living on the chance that my mother and father will turn up, when they might not find me. Especially when there a lot of better chances for me that I may indulge in.

Harriet placed the dresses carefully on the bed and I found a bit of change on the side so I gave her two pennies, to which she beamed at me. “Harriet, who else are you with?” I asked nicely.

“My mum, dad and Brother Peter mam.” She replied. “Thank you ever so much for the pennies.” She spoke gratefully and I smiled.

“Thank you for carrying my dresses.” I responded. “Now you best get going or your mother and father might start worrying.”

She nodded her head, speaking another thank you before exiting the room and closing the door. It must be a coincidence that she is named Harriet and her Brother Peter like my dear uncle and aunt.

I placed the dresses carefully into the wardrobe, but left the rose and beige one out, as I wanted to wear that one tonight.

I walked into the bathroom that was placed on the side of our room and filled the bath up with water. It was an ivory white and it was gorgeous. After I had my bath and had dressed myself in my bathrobe I wandered back into the room and changed carefully into the dress. Once it was on, I stood in front of the full length mirror and saw myself looking like royalty for the first time. I am definitely going into Cherie again when we get to New York and she manages to buy her shop. That place is going to be so good once people realise how good her clothing is.

As I was sat at my dresser, deciding on what to do with my hair, William walked in and gave me a warm smile. “Dinner is ready in half an hour, darling.” He told me.

“How has your day been?” I asked as I put it up into a high bun and placed a bandeau on top. It was made by the French and it made my outfit complete.

“I met with the Captain and he told me that we were to sit with him at the table because my father’s company helped with the Titanic. I did not tell him, but he recognised my last name.” He told me.

“That sounds nice.” I told him. “I met a lovely little girl named Harriet when she helped carry my dresses from her room to ours. Which if I may ask, why did you introduce me to the woman as Edith Cunningham?”

 He gave me a small smile. “It has a nice ring, does it not? And I did that to stop whispers. We do not need them.” He informed me and I had to agree, it did sound nice and just rolled off of my tongue.

“I agree, just took me by surprise.” I replied before getting up and linking arms with him once again.

“You look wonderful.” He complimented making me blush.

“Thank you.”

We both walked down the deck on the starboard side for a few minutes and all I could see in the darkness was the ocean. The wind was still as strong but it was nice and it kept reminding me that I was actually going to New York and America with William to start a new life. He had left Charlotte Darlington just for me and it felt nice that somebody wanted me.

“I love this feeling.” I spoke.

“What feeling is that?” He replied.

“The feeling of having everything, I am going to New York with the man I love and it is such a nice feeling in my stomach.” I told him and he smiled before turning me to face him and going down on one knee, making me gasp.

“Edith, I know it is soon, but I feel like you are the one. Please will you be my wife?” He asked with a face full of worry and hope. I could not form any words so I nodded my head and a huge smile broke out onto his face as he brought me into his arms and spun me around. “Thank you so much Edith.” He cried ecstatic.

“Once he finished I pulled away, I should be the one thankful.” I replied but he shook his head.

“You just made me feel like the luckiest man on Earth.” He informed me, still smiling and I returned the smile. He placed a finger onto my married finger. It was a gold band with a huge blue sapphire in the centre and it weighed a few pounds but it was gorgeous.

“When did you get this?” I asked, still in shock.

“I bought it just before we left for the ship, while you still slept, I went to Loveday’s jewellers.” He responded, my arm linked back through his. “Should we go to dinner now?” He asked and I nodded my head.

Up until this moment in my life, this had to be the best day ever. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.6K 3.6K 47
" The darkness closed in around him, like a shroud of silence. Veeranshu's eyes fluttered open, and he was met with an unfamiliar ceiling. Groggily...
28.8M 915K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
18.4K 186 132
The ancient saying goes: Most generals come from Guan Xi, while ministers come from Guan Dong. He Lisa was born to be a Star General. She was merely...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...