Destiny is Served

Oleh idet843

Kara is a struggling restaurant owner in the most famous city. Her father taught her everything he knew abou... Lebih Banyak

Destiny is Served-Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Author's Note
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Author's Note-2
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue

Chapter 20

28.7K 822 32
Oleh idet843

Chapter 20

-Secrets of the Past and Present-1

Logan Spector becomes the center of attention after making it known he and Kara already know each other.  Lauren keeps asking him questions and dropping innuendos about his relationship with Kara.  Her suggestive questions are making everyone uncomfortable.  She knows how Briana feels about Logan yet it hasn’t stopped her.  Kara glances at Braylin’s face to find it lined with a scowl.  Lauren’s questions have become disturbing.  He finally tells her she is being rude.   

The cocktail hour is ending, guest are slowly making their way into the main ballroom where dinner will be served.  Kara’s head hurts she needs to get away for a few minutes.  Braylin has a tepid hold on her arm for appearance sake.  He frowns when she starts to move away.  “Where are you going?”  He ask noticing her pull away. 

Surprised by his comment she answers.  “Does it matter?”  The scowl on his face grows deeper as he releases her arm.  Kara makes her way to the foyer not sure where she is going. 

“Hey Cinderella, are you lost?”  A voice says behind her.   

“What do you want Aaron?”  She turns around to face him. 

“Whoa, don’t take my head off.  I’m just here to beat up the bad guys, lookout for villains and maybe save the damsel in distress.”  He chuckles. 

Kara reaches her hand out to caress his cheek while giving him an uncertain smile.  Her affectionate gesture toward him is a surprise.  

“Wow, this is usually how my dream sequence starts.” 

“Aaron, are you ever serious?”  Kara relaxes dropping her hand to her side. 

“I’d like to be about you, but it seems I’m not the Hurst you’re interested in?   I don’t know why not, I’m extremely good looking, I have all my teeth and I’m not the scary one.  You do look beautiful tonight.  I would let you walk all over me in those sexy heels you’re wearing because I’m into kinky shit like that.”  He grins and winks at her. 

“Thank you Aaron.  Does it show that much that we can’t get along?” 

“Lester and I have a bet going on who gets the most compliments about how beautiful our date looks tonight except neither he nor I have a date.  You two kids need to stop fighting, you’re messing up our action for the evening.”  Aaron complains. 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t ask you to look after me.  How am I supposed to show everyone that I’m his girlfriend when we can’t be in the same room together for more than five minutes?” 

“Stop trying to reason with him.  Grab him throw him against the wall then kiss him like you mean it.  That always gets my attention.  I’d be happy to practice with you.   If…. you need to.   Uh-ahem.”   

He’s always flirting with her.  She decides why not it may be the only fun she has tonight.  Getting in his face, she runs her fingers around the edge of his collar, his bow tie suddenly feels tight around his neck.  Gripping his tux lapels she tugs him toward her while looking deep into his sapphire eyes. 

“And this works for you…..”  She responds in a seductive husky voice. 

He frowns, his words come out in a stutter.  “Some-Sometimes, one time…..maybe never.” 

“But you want me to try it?”  She pouts, her mouth inches from his.  She nuzzles his nose. 

“Ah….yeah, like I said.  We could practice.  If. You. Want.”  Now he doesn’t seem so sure of himself. 

“Mm hmm, I don’t think so.”   She releases his lapels giving him a little push away.  He releases the breath he was holding. “ 

"It’s not nice to tease Kara.”  Aaron relaxes his tensed up shoulders.  Kara giggles at his relieved look. 

He’s pained and relieved.  Visions of Braylin’s fist connecting with his jaw keep interfering with visions of what it would be like to kiss her.  His brother has no idea how lucky he is.  She’s definitely attracted to Braylin but she’s fighting it and so is Braylin fighting his attraction to her.  They are both taking this rivalry shit to a level it doesn’t need.  She’s the type of woman Braylin needs by his side.  She’s beautiful, smart and family obviously means something to her probably because she doesn’t have any. 

“Oh joy, Elise is here.  If the first boy I kissed in high school walks through that entrance I swear there’s a curse on me.”  Kara comments. 

“Ah yes, the hanger on, the parasite has entered the building.  She and Braylin have been, I don’t know I guess dating is the word I should use for the last few months.  She wants to be Mrs. Braylin Hurst you know.  I’m happy to say you’ve fucked up her dream.” 

“Yeah, well she’s still hanging all over him.  So does that mean you like me a little bit more than you like her?”  Kara lifts a brow in curiosity. 

“I like you a whole lot more than her or Lauren.  But my brother isn’t looking for a wife.”  Aaron confirms. 

“I’m not looking for a husband.  I just want to operate my restaurant in a safe location without sharks and whales swimming around waiting to take it away from me.”  Kara responds. 

“Cameron they are over here.  Oh my goodness, Kara why did you walk off like that.  You and Aaron need to come inside.”  Michelle says. 

“What happened?”  Aaron exclaims. 

“Nanna Rita happened.  She’s wants everybody inside at our table.  She’s upset that she’s the chairwoman for this event and her own family are scattered about.  No one is sitting at our table the first speaker has already started talking."  Cameron responds. 

“Where’s Braylin?”  Aaron notices that he’s gone from the spot he was in a minute ago. 

“He’s at the bar, Lester went to get him, now come on.”  Cameron takes Kara’s arm placing it on his outstretched one.  Aaron does the same with Michelle.  Just as they pass the gala entrance a couple comes through the door behind them.  They are late. 

“I’m going straight to the bar Mellie (Amelia).  You can find our table.”  James Monroe is telling his wife when he realizes she isn’t walking beside him anymore.  He stops walking turning around to see what happened to her?  

“What is it now Mellie.  We are already late, come on I can already hear the first speaker.  I’m sure there’s going to be a long line at the bar while they talk all night.”  He complains. 

Amelia (Mellie) is standing still with a stricken look on her face.  She’s holding one hand to her chest while she points in front of her with the other. 

“Kara…..is it her James?  Is that her with the Hurst men?”  Mellie (Amelia) says feeling anxious.

James turns around to look where she’s pointing.  There are four people walking ahead of them into the main ballroom.  He immediately recognizes the Hurst men then see’s that one of the women is definitely Kara.  James admires how beautiful she looks.  He knows they don’t see him and Amelia yet he’s glad.  

“I’m not sure Amelia, you forget you never let me around the poor girl so how would I know if that’s her?”  James turns around to walk away from his wife. 

Mellie (Amelia) goes in the same direction as James he turns around.  “Where are you going, I told you I need a drink?”  He says sternly. 

"James, I really think it’s her, I need you to come with me.  Please where is our table, is it close to the Hurst table.” 

“You know better than that.  We are on the other side of the room.  We haven’t sat near the Hurst table for the last few years.”  He says nonchalantly.

Mellie (Amelia) wipes the sweat from her forehead. With the stress of dealing with Liam maybe she’s seeing things.  She didn’t see Braylin walking with the woman, she was with Aaron and Cameron and his wife.  She could have been mistaken.  Maybe she’s Aaron’s date.  

Mellie (Amelia) goes in through a different door to find their table on the other side of the room.  James Monroe smirks watching her, after she goes through the opposite gala entrance he happily finds his way to the bar where he notices Braylin in a deep conversation with another woman.

The gala speeches have started.  The waiters are circling the tables leaving the first course salads for everyone to eat.  Kara is feeling self-conscious that the seat to her left is empty.  She can catch glimpses of Braylin talking to Elise.    Thankfully Lester is sitting on her other side.  He reaches out to squeeze her hand for reassurance.  As she glances around the room she can see the table across from her has Lauren and Logan sitting next to Briana at it.  Logan raises his drink to salute her.  He hasn’t taken his eyes off of her since he sat down. 

“Don’t let Braylin see that.”  Lester mumbles next to her. 

“What…you think I’m encouraging him?”  She turns to whisper to him. 

“You don’t have to do anything but look at a man Kara.  It’s encouragement enough when you acknowledge we exist.  You need to talk to Logan and tell him about you and Braylin.”  Lester informs her. 

“What exactly am I supposed to tell him Lester, there is no me and Braylin.  Do you see what I see over there, he’s not missing me?”  Kara comments seeing Braylin standing near the bar with Elise on one side having an animated conversation with him.  She keeps pulling on his arm while Lauren has left her table and is approaching them to get her share of Braylin’s attention. " I look more like your date tonight than his.”  

Before Lester can respond a salad is set in front of him.  The waiter quickly sets the next one down in front of Kara.  By the time he makes it around the table to the end he comes back to the empty seat.   “Excuse me ma’am, do you want me to leave the salad here?”  The waiter ask. 

Kara is looking up at him not sure what to say.  “Leave it.”  A voice behind the waiter says sternly.  Braylin slips in his seat.  The waiter excuses himself. 

She ignores him.  She eats her salad then listens to the speeches being given.  She can feel Braylin’s eyes on her in the noisy room.  She can also see that Logan is still watching her. 

 Kevin is sitting at their table entertaining Kara and Michelle with his stories of them growing up together.  As they go through each course of the meal Kara begins to relax.  Kevin’s constant teasing of how the girls would chase after Braylin causes Braylin to defend himself.   

They finish their meal then watch as some awards are presented.  Braylin keeps his arm laying across the back of Kara’s chair.  He unexpectedly caresses her bare arm causing a shiver to run down her spine.  She turns around to look into his sensuous eyes.  She can’t figure him out.  He’s managed to move his chair closer to hers without her noticing it.  They are getting lots of attention from the table across from them.  Kara assumes that’s why he’s touching her.   After the awards are presented the guest mingle and there is dancing.   Kara excuses herself from the table, anxious to get away from him. 

Going to the bar she orders a cocktail.  One of the men that has been watching her all night walks over to her brushing his arm against her bare one as he orders a drink. 

“I won’t say I’m sorry I bumped into you.  I admit I have been watching you tonight.  You have such a look of sadness on your face.  You are one stunningly gorgeous woman but that pout should be a smile.”  He grins at her. 

Kara turns her pout into a small smile.  “Well thank you I think, I hope you recognize that I am a woman and not a thing to be possessed.”  She tells him.  

“Beauty and wit, hmm.  Carlyle Blevins, nice to meet you….” He holds out his hand. 

“Kara Santino.”  Kara shakes his hand.  “As in Santino’s restaurant.”  He questions. 

“That would be me.”  Kara responds. 

“I thought I recognized you.  I’ve eaten at your place, I thought you sold it.”  He queries. 

“Not yet, I’m still thinking it over.”  Kara tells him watching his brown eyes light up. 

“Well, if you’re still looking for a buyer, I can give you my card, we can discuss it over dinner next week.”  He pulls his card out to hand it to her. 

Embarrassed Kara looks around her seeing Michelle and Cameron on the dance floor watching her.  She takes the business card from him putting it in her purse. 

An arm slides around her waist pulling her against a hard body.  “Carlyle, you wouldn’t be hitting on my girl would you.”  Braylin’s hold on her is possessive, he kisses her neck while caressing her arm as he confronts the man.  Kara wants to scream at him, but she believes he’s just playing his role because another man is flirting with her.    

“Hurst, I should have known you would have claim on the most beautiful woman in the room.  “I’m sorry if I offended you Kara.  It is still a pleasure to meet you.  I hope to hear from you regarding our mutual business.”  Carlyle takes his drink walking away. 

“Braylin looks down at her cupped in his arm.  “Are you going to do this all night?”  He asks.  He wants to believe that she has no idea how stunning she is in the dress she’s wearing.  It looks like it was poured on her.  The way she’s looking at him now makes him want to take her upstairs to one of the hotel suites to ravish her.   

“I’m not sure what you mean, I was just getting a drink for myself.”  Kara innocently responds.  

I can do that for you.  You don’t go to the bar by yourself.  It’s an invitation for men to flirt with you.”   

“How would I know that you would do anything for me Braylin, you haven’t talked to me since we left the house?  Thanks for telling me I look nice in my dress and showing me so much attention.  It really makes a girl feel special knowing how much her boyfriend cares.   Oops, I’m sorry, you aren’t my boyfriend are you.  You were forced into this so I guess that means you have no say in who I decide to flirt with.   She rolls her eyes as she grabs her drink walking away swinging her hips. 

Braylin’s eyes scan the room.  He knows if he doesn’t show her attention other men will.  He looks to see where Carlyle went.  He is back at his table sitting down.  Walking back to his table he notices Kara is not at it.  Looking across the table from them he doesn’t see Logan. 

Amelia (Mellie) isn’t her normal calm self-tonight.  She keeps looking at her phone.  Zain has called her three times and so has Liam.  She’s sure something went wrong with the money drop off.  She’s also looking around the ballroom trying to see if Kara is really here.   

She tried to trick Zain into leaving an envelope full of money inside a hotel room at a five-star hotel to pay off Liam.  Zain reluctantly did the drop off as he was told without knowing who the money was actually for.  While coming off the elevator he saw Mrs. Sheffield coming through the hotel entrance.  He assumed that the money was for her.  Figuring this is his chance to find out what Amelia has gotten into he follows her.  He has no idea that she is Liam’s mother.   Zain pretends to take a call on his phone near a huge plant while he watches Mrs. Sheffield. 

She goes to the front desk.  He can’t hear what she is asking the representative.  Instead of getting on the elevator to go up to the room, she sits in a discreet seating area of the hotel watching people come and go for about an hour.  Zain can’t understand why she doesn’t go up to the room where he left the money.  She finally leaves, Zain follows her to where she parked her car but he is unable to follow her further.  Realizing she didn’t get the money he races back to the hotel going up to the room.  The money is still there, he takes the envelope.    

As Zain is leaving the hotel he never sees Liam entering through another entrance.  Liam goes up to the hotel room to pick up the money Amelia is supposed to give him.  It’s not here.  Liam becomes frantic, he tears up the room looking for it.  Sitting on the bed he calls Amelia (Mellie) several times but she doesn’t answer.  In a fit of anger he leaves two menacing messages.  In the last one he threatens her. 

Zain also leaves her a message letting her know the money wasn’t picked up.  Amelia (Mellie) doesn’t read her messages while she is at the gala.  She’s afraid someone could see her reading them.  She finally sees two of the Hurst men.  A look of smug complacency is on her face when she sees that Braylin Hurst is in attendance.  She likes looking at the much younger man, she’s extremely attracted to him.  She has wantonly approached him on two occasions.  He’s not with anyone right now, he looks delicious in his midnight blue tux.  She spends a lot of time thinking and planning how to seduce him and right now she’s like a bitch in heat.   

“Aaron, where’s Kara.”  Braylin finds his brother flirting with a blond near the bar. 

“Is it her turn to get your attention now Braylin.  Man you’ve been occupied all night.  I’m not a babysitter or a relationship counselor but Bray just because you haven’t shown any appreciation for that body in that dress doesn’t mean other men haven’t.  I think she’s with Logan.  He asked her to dance but I don’t see them on the dance floor.  He looked like he wanted to eat her up.  She said other than us, he’s the only person she knows here.  They’ve got some serious history the way they were looking at each other.  Hey, find her yourself.  She’s not my problem anymore, you took her away from me.”  Aaron irritably responds. 

“When are you going to stop saying that?  I didn’t take her.  She doesn’t want me anymore than she wants you. She’s counting the days when she can get away from me.”  Braylin rubs his fingers across his eyes in frustration.  He looks around the room but he doesn’t see her or Logan.  

Aaron is watching his older brother’s face.  He believes Braylin likes her more than he wants to admit.  They always seem to be having some tug of wills with one another, all it seems to do is frustrate both of them.  The air between them stays sexually charged whenever they’re together.  He doesn’t understand why they haven’t slept together yet to get it over with. 

“Bray, why are you going through this?   She’s a beautiful woman, she looks hot tonight.  Most men can’t keep their eyes off of her.  Whether this is real or not, you’re able to at least touch her without her removing a limb.  I haven’t seen you show her much attention tonight.  Women like that shit, you let Logan walk in here, the guy’s all over her.  Bray he is flirting with her, he gets her to laugh and smile.   That should be you.  Don’t tell her I said it, but she’s a good woman.  She belongs with us.  Don’t fuck this up and let Logan take her away from you.”  Aaron finishes his drink then slams it on the bar.  Squeezing his brother by the shoulder he walks away toward the blonde he was talking to earlier. 

The bartender sees Braylin leaning on the bar, he comes down to ask him if he wants a drink.  Taking a few seconds to think about it Braylin nods his head no.  He turns on his heels walking past Elise not really seeing her.  She reaches out for him putting her hand on his chest trying to get his attention but he keeps walking brushing it off.  He sees a set of patio doors in front of him he heads straight for them. 

The doors are unlocked, he walks out to the veranda.  It’s cool he breaths in the fresh air.  He’s got to get a grip on what he’s doing with Kara they are barely speaking to each other.   When they get back to the house tonight he’s going to have a talk with her, tell her how he feels.  They need to work things out between them.  He really doesn’t want her to leave him. 

Walking to the edge of the veranda he leans over the wrought iron bars to look below.  There’s a couple on the lower level.  The man is holding the woman in his arms.  His hand is caressing her cheek, he bends his head to kiss her, their lips meet. She keeps her hands at her sides.  She doesn’t look like she is into it but she’s not pushing him away either. 

What he sees makes him angry, he’s leaning on the bar so hard he feels the pressure on his stomach.  He recognizes the dress, the shoes and the bracelet on the woman’s wrist. It glistens and twinkles from where he’s standing.  It was really meant as a peace offering.  He wanted them to start over but the conversation went horribly wrong. 

The woman steps away from the man to walk away.  He grabs her arm pulling her back toward him.  He says something to her, she smiles.  Braylin recognizes that smile although he hasn’t seen one of them directed at him tonight.  He can’t hear what they are saying.  He looks around the veranda seeing some steps going down a few feet away.  He hurries down them.  When he gets to the bottom he quietly walks around the corner to stand behind a pillar trying not to be seen. 

Logan runs his hand up Kara’s bare arm.  “If you’re cold I can warm you up.”  He nuzzles the side of her face as a breeze blows her escaped hair softly away from her shoulders. 

“Logan please, I need to go inside.  You know I’m not here alone.”  She responds. 

“He’s not looking for you Kara.  He’s got his harem here tonight.  They aren’t concerned with you, he doesn’t usually keep one woman around for more than a month.”  Logan jokes. 

“I guess you haven’t read the papers Logan, we’ve been together now for several months.  We’re the new hot and heavy it couple in the society pages.  We can’t seem to keep our hands off of each other to let the tabloids tell it.”  Kara replies. 

Logan hugs her while laughing.  “Oh really…..that’s why you’re here with me…..in my arms.”  He laughs while still holding on to her. “Darling he hasn’t looked your way or put a finger near this beautiful body of yours tonight.   Now you see with me, every man here would know they could look but not touch.  I like seeing that beautiful smile of yours.  I know how affectionate and loving you are.  I know to get one of those special smiles you give I would have to do things like this.”  He kisses her on the nose she blushes. Her long lashes sweeping her face as she looks up at him with those gorgeous hazel eyes shining in the moonlight.  “Or maybe something like this.”  He nuzzles her neck dropping little kisses on her collarbone.  She sighs biting her bottom lip.  

Braylin has both his fist clinched at his sides, his heart beats faster, a deep scowl lines his face.  He stands in the shadows watching Logan do the things he wants to do to her.  After she told him about the Monroe offer on her land, he admits he didn’t handle it well. He didn’t expect her to intimately know the one person he doesn’t want near her.  His mind starts racing, the way they are talking to each other maybe she does want to rekindle their relationship.  He’s torn between leaving them alone and staying to see how far this goes. 

Kara presses her hands against Logan’s chest.  She’s happy to see him but she’s not ready to start anything up with him.  There was a time when she welcomed his teasing and kisses.  His friendship means a lot to her.  She doesn’t want to hurt him again but she also likes the affection he’s showing her especially tonight.  He’s right, she was so starved for it after her father’s death.  She felt so alone and scared she welcomed his attention when he came along.   Now that she’s going through this ordeal with Braylin she’s confused.  Logan wants her for herself.  She’s not sure what Braylin wants. 

“Logan please, this isn’t right.  I’m with Braylin.  I….I….shouldn’t let you touch me like this.  I need to go inside.”  Kara looks into his brown eyes he has that same look she saw two years ago when she left him. 

“It’s alright Kara.  I want you to understand and know something first.  I lost you once before because you needed time to heal.  It was difficult for me to do but I’ve given you that time.  I won’t apologize for getting carried away tonight after seeing you for the first time in two years.  It has to be meant for us to meet again.  I still want you and he’s taking you for granted.  He’s a Hurst, it’s what they do with women they know no other way to be.   I’ve known them a long time Kara, he will use you to get what he wants then toss you away like the rest of them.  You know me, I still have your ring it’s waiting for you.  My cards are on the table love, you decide but I’m not backing off unless you tell me to.”  Logan kisses her on the forehead then walks away. 

Kara stands in the spot with her arms wrapped around her looking at Logan’s back.  She takes a step forward reaching her hand out then draws it back to cover her face. 

Braylin grabs the wall behind him.  His stomach is in knots.  That lone tear trickling down her cheek right now is burned in his mind.  What the hell happened tonight?  He wasn’t away from her that long or was he.  He can’t go to her now, she’ll know he was ease dropping on their conversation.

***Thanks for Reading.

For clarification, Amelia (Santino) Monroe is known as Mellie in her new life.  Her husband James and Zain still call her Amelia.  You can guess why she is known by a different name.

Lots of new charachters have been added to the story.  Comments are always welcome.  I'll try to answer questions as best I can without giving away to much of the future of the story.  Please remember to vote for it, thanks 

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

1.3K 85 47
Like every other book worm, Tamina used to have that dream where a man would swoop in and buy that desired book, and that is how she meets Brandon. N...
83.5K 1.9K 80
You & I are one big It's complicated Leon King a young CEO and also the hottest bachelor in NYC. Girls throw themselves at him some just to be in...
216K 4.9K 30
A problem she couldn't run from... Taylor's mom died in a house fire trying to save her and now she's stuck living with her 'dad'. She can't...
Chaos Oleh Veronica

Pertualangan

4.8K 605 26
Taylor's father disappears one day and she takes it upon herself to find him and in the process, she loses almost everything that she had. *** When T...