Resolutions (TP3)

بواسطة pseudoannie

(Complete) New Year's Day is a time for resolutions. Jack Harris, still mourning the tragic death of his wife... المزيد

Author's Note
1 - Resolutions
2 - Decisions, more decisions
3 - One step at a time
4 - Lost girl
5 - Snow Day
6 - I love you too, Dad
7 - Running to a happy place
8 - Thirty days
9 - Vacationland
10 - A really cute guy having lunch
11 - The Library Type
12 - You're not in Boston anymore
13 - Two Shoulders
14 - If Maddie thinks you're okay
15 - Dad's Day Out
16 - Meet me on the beach
17 - Spanx Me
18 - A storm is brewing
19 - Good Rory can come home
20 - Good size footprint
21 - Birthday Blues
22 - Fat and old and ugly
23 - The third wheel
24 - Another birthday
25 - What are friends for?
26 - Run for the prize
27 - Be careful what you ask for
28 - Nicole's daughter
29 - Perfect sense
30 - Casanova
31 - Everyone loves her
32 - Motherless children
33 - A sign?
34 - Only two
35 - A heart
36 - As soon as possible
38 - RORY
39 - JACK

37 - MADDIE

3.4K 272 25
بواسطة pseudoannie

Maddie woke early and immediately she smiled. It was her wedding day. She and Jack would be a family. Jack's wish to marry quickly came true. The Inn had an opening on the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend. It was a rush, but their guest list was small. Jack invited Adam and his friend, Gary. Maddie was glad Ryan came from Virginia. Jack and his brother were not close, but she had always liked the younger Harris brother.

Her guest list was longer. They limited their friends from The Point, but the Brenners and the Goodwins were invited as well as their parents' friends. She invited Laura and Tim, Lynn and Billy, Evie and Tom, and her library friends.

The day, Jack and Tom met again was hard, but once they acknowledged the past, they became friends. Tom had a special fondness for Emma having cared for her when she was so vulnerable.

Their wedding was also right before Maddie's parents were leaving for Florida. They planned to live in Maddie's house until their house was ready. It had more space than the condo. The newlyweds didn't want to share a room in the condo with Emma and Maddie's room was away from the kids.

Jack teased her. "You can make all the noise you want when I pleasure you."

Maddie couldn't wait to share a bed with Jack. They had never spent a night together but had two nights planned in a hotel in Portland for a mini honeymoon. She would be Jack's wife.

Her next thought was she felt a bit off. She had started to feel bad in the morning but was practicing mind over matter which had been working. The last thing she wanted was to get sick on her wedding day. Her only confidants about the baby were Jack, Evie, and Megan who had loads of experience. She hadn't even told her best friend and matron of honor, Laura.

Her mother was happy about the wedding but in private nagged Maddie about Jack not wanting a baby. Finally, in frustration, Maddie said, "Jack's in therapy to get over his anxiety. I think you'll get what you want." Sooner than you realize, Maddie said under her breath. They had agreed not to tell anyone until after the wedding and Rory would be first. Maddie was sure not even Peter knew. He would have freaked out more when she tripped running and almost fell. Luckily it was a day Jack was in Boston, because he probably wouldn't let her run anymore.

Maddie looked at her dress hanging on the hook. She couldn't wait for Jack to see her. It was beautifully simple but perfect. She had bought it off the rack. It wasn't a gown since they had planned a less formal wedding. The men were wearing suits. She also shopped with the girls. Rory was her bridesmaid, and Emma was to be her flower girl. Everything had fallen into place perfectly.

She walked into the kitchen to find her parents at the table. Her father looked at her. "You look a little green around the gills."

A fish reference, she smiled. Her mother said, "Leave her alone. Wedding jitters, she'll be fine once she's eaten."

"I'm not sure I can eat. Maybe just a piece of toast."

"And coffee, it'll be a busy day," her mother added.

"No! No coffee at least not just yet."

What she wanted was to go for a run or walk, but she couldn't see Jack.

She texted Rory and asked if he was around. When Rory responded he had gone out for a haircut, Maddie smiled thinking of how handsome he would look. She replied, she was going for a run and to keep him off The Point.

She didn't run fast, but the cool morning air felt refreshing. The exercise relaxed her. It was another example of how much her life had changed. She did her normal loop but stopped briefly at the beach to take it in. The tide was low and there were a few walkers sprinkled up and down her line of sight. The ocean waves gently kissed the shore. The sea was not rough, and she took it as a good sign for her future. The sun was also shining which made her smile. She breathed and felt better, even a little hungry.

She had to return home to shower because Laura was arriving. They had a busy day with hair and makeup. She smiled again thinking about what lay ahead. At almost thirty-eight, she was finally a bride and a mother. She floated the rest of the way home.

The day passed too quickly to be nervous. She had thought it would be miserable waiting for an afternoon wedding, but before she knew it, the girls arrived with Kelly dressed and ready. She took one look at them and thought mine. Then she silently thanked Nicole, as her love for Jack had evolved, so had her love for Nicole. She was indebted to the woman who gave her these children and who had loved Jack and cared for him before he became Maddie's. She had no jealousy towards her, only gratitude.

Laura bounced around like the Energizer Bunny. Maddie was convinced Laura was more nervous than she was. When she put on her dress, she felt some butterflies, especially when she looked in the mirror. She recognized herself, but knew eight months ago this version of her would have been a stranger. Her first tears came when her father, dressed very handsome in his suit, saw her in her dress. He looked like a man who just realized his baby girl had grown up. He had forgotten the last twenty years of her adulthood.

She understood because even in the past seven months Emma was growing faster than she thought possible. She smiled at the little girl dressed in her tights and fancy shoes which she didn't like. She consistently called her, mumma. She was no longer Maddie to her smallest step-daughter. Maddie knew Rory chose not to teach her mommy or momma, and she was proud of how she had ensured their mother's memory.

She laughed as they tried to take photographs with her bridal party. The little one would be a challenge all day for Alison. Sam's stepmother was a photographer and was available at short notice.

Maddie felt like she had just returned from her run and they were piling in cars to go across the causeway to The Inn. She looked at the time on the dash. In just fifteen minutes the music would play and she would walk towards Jack. Her belly flipped, and it had nothing to do with nerves. It was only excitement.

He stood waiting for her with his best man Adam by his side as she walked down the small aisle created by the rows of chairs. He was beautiful, and his eyes were sparkling. His smile was serious, and she wondered if he might cry. Finally, she felt her father's arm let go and her hand was in Jack's. The ceremony was short. They responded to traditional vows. Both were afraid they would cry otherwise. She didn't know about the old Jack, but she loved how he could cry. It made her love him more. She hoped they had very few new reasons to cry in their life.

It was a blur, and suddenly Jack's lips were on hers. He kissed the bride, and she felt herself melt into him. All around them were the happy faces of their friends and family, especially their Point family.

Jack whispered, "I love you, Mrs. Harris."

She selfishly wished they could leave. Instead, they greeted well-wishers, took more photographs and then it was time for the toasts. The toast could only go two ways and she hoped the only tears she shed were of laughter. Laura was first and because hers focused on Maddie and how lucky she was to find a hunk like Jack after a string of losers. Someone yelled out, "Not Drew!" There was a roar of laughter. It was touching, but mostly light-hearted. Then it was Adam's turn, he focused on Jack, his friend not the widower. He told some funny stories of how they had become friends at MIT and referred to Jack as a geek which was far from the truth. Jack laughed, and she squeezed his hand. It was a happy day, and she hoped Nicole was smiling down on her - on them.

To her surprise, Jack stood and spoke. "Maddie and I just want to thank all of you for being here today. Both Maddie and I woke up on New Year's Day and decided independently we needed a change. Maddie had decided she would rather be single than with what's his name." The room filled with laughter. "I knew Rory, and I needed a change. I had no plan, but within a few weeks, we decided to sell our house and move away somewhere. Truthfully although I believe it was fate, the decision to move to The Point was out of desperation. The house sold quickly, and we had been advised not to make a permanent move. So staying in my parent's cottage was as temporary as it got. I also kept remembering I was happiest during my teenage years when I was here. I just wanted Rory to be happy.

"Then Rory found the library, and I discovered my old friend, who I never would have believed was a librarian. Maddie, the day I walked into that library and saw you, I felt for the first time in a very long time I was home. You instantly took two wounded birds under your wing and helped to heal both of us. I know it took me longer than you to realize what we have is love, but as everyone knows I loved you first!"

Maddie laughed through her tears. Thankful she was smart enough to get a lash tint instead of wearing mascara. He continued, "Fate has brought us together and I know we had help from an unlikely source. So thank you for loving me and my daughters. Everyone raise a glass to my wife, the amazing, beautiful, wonderful Maddie Harris."

Maddie stood and embraced Jack and they kissed, not a preamble to future activities, but a tender I will love you forever kiss. Jack held her as they danced to their song which Jen had picked for them that summer. Maddie remembered eating a few bites and Jack encouraging her to eat more.

"What did you eat today?" he whispered.

"I could barely eat half a piece of toast this morning, but later I had my egg whites after my run." He looked at her expecting more. "That was it, then we were getting ready and..."

"Eat. You're making me anxious. You need to eat for my baby," he whispered.

It sent shivers down her spine. She wasn't sure if it was his words, my baby, or his breath on her neck, perhaps both. So she ate because she loved him and didn't want him to be any more anxious than he already was about her pregnancy.

After saying too many goodbyes to count including to Rory and an exhausted Emma, who was being cared for by Kelly. They left and Jack said, "Finally! I can't wait to have you all to myself. I hope you aren't tired."

Maddie laughed. "No, I plan to be in bed for the next thirty-six hours."

"Really? Me too!" Jack laughed.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

54.4K 8.7K 49
(Complete) Lacey Sherman hasn't been searching until her sister intervenes. When she drives to the coast of southern Maine, she finds more than expec...
175K 18.9K 100
(Complete)Patrick Bennett promised his wife lots of things before she died. He lied when he agreed to look for love. Two years later, he is ready to...
276K 9.6K 25
Misbegotten. Illegitimate. Mistake. Bastard. A product of a shameful affair, Sofia Colins, is a constant reminder to her family of the terrible mista...
35.9K 2.7K 15
(Complete) Michelle and Rob had lost one another to the pressures of their careers and life. Could Christmas on The Point help them find a spark and...