Tenebrous ↠ Volturi Kings {1}...

By LiveLaughLoki

Rowan Ailes has always taken solace in the comfort of darkness. It was darkness that pulled her into its embr... More

Summary
Cast
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
034
035
036
037
038
039
040
041
042
043
044
045
Epilogue
Sequel Announcement

017

36.6K 1K 485
By LiveLaughLoki

When I was nine, I kept a stray puppy in a box in my closet and fed him the scraps I could spare. I named him Sunny and was able to keep him a secret two whole weeks before my father found out. When he did, he took me and the puppy out back forced me to watch as he shot Sunny straight between the eyes with the pellet gun he typically saved for troublesome rodents.

I felt the same shriveling, suffocating sort of betrayal now that I did then. It was like having the air knocked out of you after being punched a little too hard in the chest. Almost subconsciously I cloaked my mind to keep it out of Aro's reach as I sifted through my thoughts.

"Amore, we never would have-" Caius started, but I held up a hand and silenced him instantly.

"Just let me think on this for a second," I said, wiggling out of their grasp to pace my bedroom floor. I could feel their eyes follow me as I walked back and forth, back and forth, for several long minutes.

Finally, I sat down on the edge of my bed and stared out the window as I addressed them. "I'm not mad that you took wives. That I can understand. You've been around a very long time."

One of the three gave an unneeded, relieved sigh, but I wasn't finished. "However, I'm absolutely pissed that you decided to keep this from me."

"We weren't sure you were ready," Aro said gently, scooting over to sit next to me.

My eyes flashed as I looked over at him, voice icy. "That wasn't for you to decide."

"You're right, of course," Marcus said gently. Unsurprisingly, he was the first to apologize. "We should have told you right away, it wasn't right for us to keep this from you. Please forgive me, forgive us."

His face was earnest, the three of them obviously repentant, and I let out a sigh. "Alright. But if there's anything else you're not telling me that I ought to know, you had better tell me now."

"There's nothing else, we swear," Caius promised, looking utterly sincere.

"Our wives are already gone, we sent Sulpicia and Athenodora away as soon as we met you," Aro said.

I raised my eyebrows. "Now my adding skills may be a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure that's only two. Last time I checked there are three of you."

Aro cleared his throat and Caius looked distinctly uncomfortable, and I wondered if I had broached some sort of taboo subject. If Marcus's suddenly despondent face was anything to go by, I probably had.

"Didyme was killed a thousand years ago by a rogue vampire that managed to slip into the walls of Volterra. Our guard was not quite so powerful then," Caius said delicately once it was evident that neither Aro nor Marcus were going to elaborate. "She was Marcus's wife and Aro's younger sister."

"She was not my true mate but still very dear to me, as a friend and confidante," Marcus said, cutting into Caius's explanation. "Though she was nothing compared to what you are to me."

"None of them are," Aro added, relief momentarily flickering across his features. It must be difficult to talk about his sister, and I decided to drop the subject.

"Tell me more about the castle," I said, settling back down on the bed. Only when the three had curled themselves back around me did one speak.

"It's beautiful and large. We each have our own wing, as do you, and you're free to come and go from any of them as you please," Aro said, content now that I had unveiled my mind to him once more.

"We'll have at least one guard with you at all times while you're still human. While we don't anticipate any danger, you are still in a castle full of vampires and one of us cannot be with you at all times," Caius said.

"I think it's a good chance for you to bond with them," Marcus said. "Your relationships with your current guard already seem rather positive, they like you."

"Really?" I asked, surprised. "But I've barely spoken to them."

"They are around you enough to know your character, mia cara," Aro said.

"I never thought of that," I conceded. "I want them to like me, not just follow my orders because I'm one of the leaders or whatever."

"Eloquently said," Caius quipped, laughing when I rolled my eyes at him. "But I don't believe you have to worry about them disliking you. They were skeptical at first, but I don't doubt that they will grow quite fond of you."

"Good," I said, feeling very much relieved. Unbidden, a yawn escaped my lips.

"Bedtime, I think," Marcus said, smiling gently.

"I'm fine!" I protested, but another yawn escaped me.

"We'll be here when you wake up, don't worry," Caius said, pressing his nose to my cheek affectionately. "We don't want to keep you from getting proper rest. You should sleep."

"Fine," I mumbled, settling back farther in the pillows and dropping my head onto Marcus's shoulder. "You guys stay, though."

"Of course," Aro agreed at once. The three shifted, curling closer around me, and it wasn't long until I drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

With graduation the only thing standing in the way of me and a summer spent in Volterra, I decided to spend my free days showing my mates to some of my favorite places in Forks and Port Angeles, including a day spent on the beach that was made easy due to Washington's perpetual cover of clouds.

Before I did any of that, however, there was something else I wanted to do: introduce them to Bella. Properly.

Caius was less than impressed by this suggestion. "Why is it you want us to meet her? She means nothing to us."

"She's my best friend, Caius, that's why. And you guys didn't have the greatest first meeting. I'm not asking you to be bosom buddies or anything, just civil," I said patiently.

He relented, and meeting no resistance from Aro or Marcus I invited over Bella the afternoon after their arrival.

Are you sure this is a good idea? I snorted when I read her text, as that was the only way to get hold a private conversation in a house full of vampires.

You'll be fine, I've extracted a promise of civility from all three of them. I texted in response. Plus you're already on your way, it's a bit late to cancel.

Shut up. That was the last text I received before she arrived, and I chuckled quietly as I slipped my phone into my pocket.

"What's so funny?" Marcus asked curiously. He laid with his head in my lap, eyes closed.

"Bella. She's going to worry herself to death about this," I told him.

"She's here!" Emmett bellowed, quite unnecessarily as we were all in the same room.

"Yes, thanks for that," Caius drawled, sending him an exasperated look and standing in one smooth motion. He had been sitting on the floor, leaning against my legs as I intermittently combed my hand through his hair.

Aro had disappeared off to speak with the guard half and hour ago, though he reappeared in the living room with a smile fitted easily onto his face. "Our young Bella is here!"

"Be nice," I reminded them, mostly for Caius's benefit, as I stood up myself.

Said vampire huffed. "I promised."

"I know," I said, giving his arm a squeeze before bouncing over to greet Bella, who had just entered. She was holding Edward's hand tightly but attempted a nervous smile as I approached to hug her.

"Hey, Ro," she greeted, and I detected a slight tremble in her voice.

"Hi Bells." I gave her a beaming smile. "Come on in. Don't worry, they don't bite."

Emmett laughed loudly at my joke, but seemed to be the most amused out of all of the present company. "Nice one."

"I try. Bella, meet my mates, Aro, Caius, and Marcus. The introduction is unnecessary, I know, but I figured turning over a proverbial new leaf might be good," I said.

"That doesn't change our previous ruling," Caius added, earning himself a glare that left him suitably chastened.

"It's so good to see you again, young Bella," Aro said, beaming.

"We're glad to see you're in good health," Marcus said.

I looped my arm through Marcus's and leaned against his shoulder. "Why don't we sit?"

"That would be great," Edward said, shooting me a smile.

Did you even try to ease her worries? I directed my thought towards him, and he simply offered me a resigned shrug as he all but dragged Bella towards the sofa.

In the end, it was an awkward encounter that I didn't want to relive. Aro seemed to hold a different opinion, which he voiced as soon as Edward and Bella had left a little over an hour later. "She is a nice girl. And such gifts!"

"Almost as good as mine," I said, grinning.

"Your gift is truly remarkable, mia cara. You will be a force to be reckoned with after your change, I am sure of it," Aro said. "Doubtless you won't need the protection we'll give you."

"I don't think she will need to protect herself from anything, Aro," Caius said, looking suddenly uneasy. I rubbed my thumb across the inside of his wrist in a calming gesture and he settled.

Marcus didn't look as bothered by Aro's statement as Caius was. "But it does not hurt for her to be able to."

"No, of course not. But she shouldn't have to," Caius retorted.

Sensing something akin to an argument brewing, I decided to steer the topic back towards its original course. "But Bella isn't so bad, is she?"

"No, she is not," Marcus said. "Her bond with Edward is incredibly strong, as ours is with you. Impressive for a human."

"A very powerful shield, even as a human," Aro mused, still fixated on her gift.

I shook my head in bemusement. "Anyway. What say you to a walk?"

"I say yes!" Aro said, clapping his hands together in delight, and that was that.

The days passed quickly, and before I knew it graduation had arrived. Alice was in a frenzy, and I didn't even see the dress I was wearing under my gown until it was time to put it on.

"Alice, I can't wear this, it barely covers my butt," I complained.

She winked. "Exactly! It'll drive those mates of yours up the wall!"

"You're a perv, you know that? Rose!" I called, desperate for backup.

She appeared instantly, giving Alice a reproachful look. "Rowan is not going to wear this."

"Well what is she supposed to wear? There's nothing else here!" Alice complained, sorting through my closet rack of perfectly good dresses.

"Why not this one?" I suggested, pulling out a modest, forest green dress that fell just above my knees.

"That's so last season! Blue is in right now, Rowan! Just trust me and wear this!"

"Five minutes!" Esme said, poking her head into the room. "That's a nice color. Are you comfortable with it being so short, or has Alice coerced you?"

"Coercion. See, even Esme thinks it's short!" I exclaimed triumphantly.

"Well, the green clashes with the colors of your gown! Yellow and blue with green?" Alice pointed out, looking incredibly smug.

I let out something close to a growl. "I hate you. I hate you so much."

"I knew you would wear it!" she half-sang before flitting down the stairs.

"You look beautiful," Rose said, sending me a smile. "Let me help you step into your gown."

"Thanks," I said gratefully, allowing her to help me slip it on before pushing my feet into the four inch heels Alice had provided. "At least my legs look great, I guess."

"You're so grown up," She whispered, smiling at me in the mirror. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you. For everything," I said, hugging her tightly.

"Of course, sweetheart. Now let's get you graduated, huh?" she asked, tapping my nose with a finger.

I grinned. "Let's do it."

Edited 4/16/2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

315K 14.9K 34
The Volturi is in shambles. The kings are barely on speaking terms, the guard is divided, and Rowan is caught in the middle. With the threat of the R...
199K 6K 21
"𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐲 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐜𝐨𝐨𝐧". 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐚�...
3.2M 82.5K 111
She's got the eyes of innocence, The face of an angel, A personality of a dreamer And a smile that hides more pain, Than you can ever imagine. #1 bel...
519K 15.5K 41
"If I hug you are you going to eat me?" "My brothers would be very unhappy with me were I to do so." "That was really a ye...