Resolutions (TP3)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) New Year's Day is a time for resolutions. Jack Harris, still mourning the tragic death of his wife... More

Author's Note
1 - Resolutions
2 - Decisions, more decisions
3 - One step at a time
4 - Lost girl
5 - Snow Day
6 - I love you too, Dad
7 - Running to a happy place
8 - Thirty days
9 - Vacationland
10 - A really cute guy having lunch
11 - The Library Type
12 - You're not in Boston anymore
13 - Two Shoulders
14 - If Maddie thinks you're okay
15 - Dad's Day Out
16 - Meet me on the beach
17 - Spanx Me
18 - A storm is brewing
19 - Good Rory can come home
21 - Birthday Blues
22 - Fat and old and ugly
23 - The third wheel
24 - Another birthday
25 - What are friends for?
26 - Run for the prize
27 - Be careful what you ask for
28 - Nicole's daughter
29 - Perfect sense
30 - Casanova
31 - Everyone loves her
32 - Motherless children
33 - A sign?
34 - Only two
35 - A heart
36 - As soon as possible
37 - MADDIE
38 - RORY
39 - JACK

20 - Good size footprint

3.7K 287 45
By pseudoannie

Maddie was sad when Jack and Emma left. It made no sense for them to stay another night. Everything was normal between them after she kissed him. Wow, it was some kiss! It would take a while for her to forget it. She had to remind herself not to stare at his lips during dinner.

The only thing sobering her about the kiss was if he liked her, which she doubted he did, he was not ready. He was still coping with the loss of his wife and could never love another. She scolded herself, come on Mads, who said anything about love? Anything less than the real thing with Jack wasn't worth having, because it would ruin what she had now, a best friend.

Maddie went upstairs to strip the bed that Jack slept in. She resisted the urge to smell his pillow he used which would smell like him — masculine and clean.

How would Jack react if he knew some of the things that Rory had told her? Like he slept with Nicole's pillow and when the scent faded, he spritzed it with her perfume. The story made Maddie's heartache. He had changed a lot since he came back, but he still had a long way to go. She didn't see him carrying a pillow, so he had slept without Nicole's last night. There was little chance he fell asleep thinking of Maddie's kiss. Well, at least not in the way she wanted him to. She had lain in bed and felt his lips on hers. It was not a passionate all tongue, and teeth kiss. Still, it was intimate and was a really good kiss.

Relax Mads, he's your friend. You see him practically every day. She hoped these little pep talks would work because the last thing she wanted was to ruin their friendship.

By Wednesday she was missing Rory too. There was a knock on her door just as she was changing out of her work clothes. It was light out longer and warmer after the storm had pushed the cold air out.

"Hi, Maddie. Did you miss me?" Rory had a big smile.

"You know I did." Maddie pulled her in for a hug. "Did you have fun?"

"Yeah, but I missed the fun here. The storm and sleeping over. I can't believe Emma got to sleep in your old room before me."

"You can have a sleepover anytime you want as long as your father agrees."

"Gran wants to walk down to the beach. Do you want to come with us?"

There was no reason to hide her friendship with Jack from Kelly Harris. It was public Point knowledge already, since everything always was. Her friendship with Rory was as strong as the one she had with Jack.

"Absolutely! Let me grab my shoes and jacket."

As they stepped out of her house, Jack and his mother were walking towards them with the stroller.

"Maddie!" Kelly said.

"Hi, Kelly. There's been big talk about you visiting in April."

"I know, but Jack's here." She smiled.

Maddie had always liked Jack's mom. She was friendly and like Maddie loved all the kids. That was one thing that they had in common. Now they had three more things.

Rory was glad to be going home. She had the feeling of excitement Jack had talked about as they drove across the bridge into Maine. She and Gran were talking about the people she had met. It was weird her friends were Gran and Gramps' friends too. Gran told her about how Megan and Gramps liked to talk about history and how she was friends with Alice. Rory was having trouble counting up all the people she knew on The Point. Gran liked to hear about her school and her friends. She always liked to talk about school since she was a teacher. Although she taught younger kids, she understood school. Jack was pretty lucky to grow up with a mom like Gran. Crap, why did she think about moms. Stop Rory not today.

Gran must have sensed she was quiet. "I bet some days are still hard."

"Yup, it's just if I think about her. I want to think about her and remember her and love her, but not cry."

"Sweet girl, I have the same problem. I loved your mother, just like I love you. The day they married was one of my greatest days ever because I got a daughter and granddaughter all at once. That's the special thing about your mother, so many people loved her. You and Jack miss her most, but we all miss her."

It felt good to know that others loved and missed her mom, but they could go on with their days just fine. Even Mimi, her own mother, could function. That was one of Courtney's favorite words. First, you need to function, she'd say.

Jack ran out of the house when they pulled up and gave her a big hug. It had only been since Saturday, but she missed him. Then she watched as he hugged his mother. She looked so small in his arms. He was once her little boy. The cottage surprised Rory when she walked inside. It looked like Jack had moved a lot more stuff into the porch.

Jack said, "I thought we could go eat up the street. Everyone was glad to hear that you were coming."

They ate lobster rolls and people stopped by their table to talk to Gran.

"Can I go see if Maddie wants to come to the beach?" Rory asked, but she was halfway out of her seat and didn't wait for an answer.

Maddie greeted her with a hug. She really liked Maddie's hugs. She needed Maddie's soft hugs. There were others on the beach. She saw Cassie sitting alone away from the others. When Cassie looked their way, she jumped up and ran to Rory.

"You're home!" Cassie shouted.

Home, Rory thought, this was home. "I just got back before dinner. What have you been doing?"

"Nothing really. The storm ruined half the week."

"I missed all the fun."

"Fun? It wasn't fun. It rained and rained. At my house, the generator is only for the heat, the fridge, and a few lights. It was so boooring!"

"Cass, why didn't you just read?"

"That's all I did!"

Rory wasn't reading as much as she used to. With friends to hang around with, she had less time to read. She still loved it, but she liked other things too.

"I guess I should go back before my Dad gets mad. My Gran's visiting. Later."

"Let's hang out tomorrow. Okay?" Cassie asked.

"Okay!"

When she went back Gran asked, "Is that your friend? I'm not sure I know her."

"That's Cassie."

Maddie said, "Cassie is on Sandpiper."

They walked down the beach until Emma needed to go to bed. Instead of coming over, Maddie waved goodbye and walked to her house leaving Rory disappointed.

The next day she walked over to Cassie's house. Both her parents were at work so they were alone. It didn't surprise Rory when the boys showed up. Did Cassie's parents know that Cole came over while they were at work? It was a little weird to be sitting there while Cassie and Cole made out. The bus was bad enough. Sam got up and went into the kitchen and motioned for Rory to follow.

"What do you think they're going to do in there?"

"Not much. His mom will kill him if he did anything more than kiss. My dad taught me to respect girls."

Rory wasn't ready for kissing, but she liked Sam. "Did you like the storm? I missed it."

"Where were you?"

"I went to both my grandparents' houses. First, my mom's then my dad's."

"I went back to see my Nona over February vacation. We only go home once a year."

"We moved too, but not that far."

"Why did you move here?"

Rory told him about her old school and house and Gran's cottage and Jack spending his summers at the beach. Sam listened. "My dad was happy to get away when we moved to be with Alison."

"Is that what you call your stepmother?"

"Yeah. I had a mom. I like her, but she's not my mom."

"My dad adopted me when I was six. The one who... you know... made me, took off as soon as my mom found out she was pregnant. Technically, I have no parents except my dad is like the greatest dad in the world. He takes care of me and my sister better than anyone thought he could. Well, except he sucks at cooking."

"Oh, man! My dad too. I'm surprised we didn't starve. We ate a lot of pizzas."

"We still might starve. If it weren't for Maddie."

"She's nice. I met her the first time I came here. She gave me a book."

"That sounds like Maddie." Rory smiled thinking about her friend.

"What's going on there? Are they dating?" Sam asked.

"No, my dad is still too sad to even think about anything like that."

"Yeah, my dad was too and then one day he told me he had a girlfriend and he wanted us to move."

"Did you freak out?"

"Yeah, but it turned out mostly okay. My dad is happy."

"I don't know if my dad will ever be happy. I can't imagine him with anyone except my mom."

"But he's a guy. You know, guy's needs." Sam raised his eyebrows up and down.

"Oh gross! You're talking about my dad. He's not like that. Well, he was with my mom. I've got a little sister to prove it."

If he was going to like someone could it be Maddie? Rory couldn't imagine him ever even kissing anyone.

"Hey. We talked and neither of us got upset."

"Yeah, because you talked about parents doing it. So did you hang out with Cassie and Cole all week?"

"Nah, Cole and his sister just got back. They went to Disney World with their Dad. I've never been."

"Me either. I doubt they'd let my family in because they wouldn't want sad people ruining the happiest place on earth." Sam smiled, but it was a sad smile. Rory sighed. "I should go since my Gran's visiting."

"I'll walk with you." Sam offered, and Rory nodded and smiled.

Jack didn't know how badly he needed his mother until she arrived. After she spent her entire summer helping him when Emma was born, he pulled back trying to care for his kids on his own. He isolated himself from almost everyone, including his own mother.

They had always been close. Even when he was working crazy hours, Nicole would have his parents to dinner at least once a week. Those dinners stopped with Nicole. His Mom tried, but he did a good job at avoiding her.

While Rory was at Cassie's, they sat and watched Emma play. She was comfortable with her gran even though she didn't see her nearly enough.

Jack said, "Mom, I'm concerned about summer. We'll kill each other. I can see it now, Dad trying to read while some stupid show is on for Emma."

"It is cramped."

"I would buy a house if there was one. Alex is on the lookout, but they're hard to come by."

"So you're really planning to stay?"

"I think so. Rory's happier. I have friends. It's been good. If we decide it's not right, we could still summer here, so a house would make sense." He wasn't sure if he was convincing her or him.

"Jack, have you noticed the new condominiums they're building just over the causeway across from the inn?"

"They're hard to miss when you drive by, but I don't want a condo and I'd like to be on this side of the causeway."

"No, I don't imagine you would, but your father does. When we retire, we plan to move up here, but he doesn't think this house is right for winter. He doesn't want to shovel and you know, he's always hated mowing the lawn."

"He made us do it."

It was another chore he and Ryan fought over. Jack wasn't sure what his mother was telling him.

"Our plan has been to live here even though you never visited Maine and your brother. You know we're lucky if he comes north for Christmas. He's definitely not vacationing in Maine. Anyway, I was struggling with selling this cottage."

"You're thinking of selling this house?" he asked in disbelief.

"We were toying with the idea, but when you asked to stay, we changed our minds. I'm not one-hundred percent sold on living off The Point, but it's only a quarter of a mile across the causeway."

"If you wanted to sell, I could buy it. Why didn't you ask me if I wanted it?" He felt excited and slighted at once.

"You haven't shown interest in Maine in years. You've been here twice since you met Nicole. I honestly didn't think you cared."

"I may not have, but I do now. If you and Dad decide this is what you want, I'll buy this cottage and get Alex to do what he does. We'll just need to move out while the building is happening."

They could find an apartment in town. His mind went into full gear.

"If you wait until fall, you can stay at the condo. You know, I haven't decided for sure, but next year might be my last year teaching. We've talked about it. Your Dad wants to write and I can always substitute if I'm bored."

"If you need money..."

"It's not about money. It's about being certain we want to leave Boston, but having our grandchildren nearby might be the right incentive. Maybe we can convince Pam and Bill to move too."

"I'm not sure about that." Jack laughed. "Mom, I'm excited. I haven't felt like this in a long time!"

"I know, dear, I know. I think your father is available, I'll try calling him now." She walked into her bedroom.

Jack heard her muffled voice, and his mind went into overdrive. First, talk to Alex. He was afraid staying over the summer wouldn't work, but now it might not matter. As he waited for her to come out of the bedroom, his excitement turned to nerves.

She appeared with a smile on her face. "He's thrilled. I'll go look this afternoon. He's taking the train in the morning. Oh, Jack! This is so exciting to be able to be closer to my granddaughters... and my son." She added the last bit with a wink.

"Mom, I'm running up the street a minute, do you mind?" He nodded towards Emma.

"Go! Right, Emma darling!"

He felt bad for keeping his mother from seeing Emma. She was her biological grandchild, and although she accepted and loved Rory, Emma was special. Especially since unlike Rory, she knew Emma and cared for her when she was a baby.

Jack hoped Alex might be having a late lunch, but he wasn't. He asked Rick to pass a message on for Alex to stop by. He bought a couple of whoopie pies because they were his mom's favorites. Then he spent the afternoon antsy waiting for Alex.

When Rory came home, he told her the news. Her face lit up. "Really. We can live here? Are we going to make it nice like Megan's house?"

"Yes, to all those questions."

Jack was happy Rory was pleased. Things were working out, and he silently thanked Nicole. He felt like she was taking care of him. Jack didn't practice religion, but he believed in God and heaven and was certain his wife was there. She was too nice to have gone anywhere else.

His mother came back very excited. "They're not cheap, but they're beautiful. More than one is almost move-in ready."

"Mom, this cottage is worth a lot. I'll pay you the going market rate. I insist. I don't want Ryan saying I took advantage of you... again."

"Oh Jack, ignore your brother. You two have always competed with one another."

Jack and his younger brother haven't been close for years. He lived in Virginia and was a broker specializing in wealth management. He was a workaholic and a confirmed bachelor, but Jack trusted him with his own money. Jack's issue with Ryan was he had zero compassion when Nicole died. He didn't come to her funeral and then he complained about their mother giving up her entire summer to help with Emma. Christmas day was the only day Ryan ever bothered to come home.

"Whatever." He disregarded her comment about her other son. Ryan would know how much he paid when Jack requested for him to liquidate and transfer the funds. "I'm guessing Alex will know the fair market value. I can have Ryan wire the money to you."

"Let's wait for your father, okay, but I don't want to take advantage of you."

"Mom, you know money is the least of my concerns. I've money from selling that house."

"You never liked it did you?"

"I liked it because Nicole did. Without her, I hated it."

It was after four when Alex's truck pulled in the drive. Jack went out to meet him and Jen. "Hey, Jack. I got a message. What can I help you with?"

"My parents are considering selling to me and if that happens I want to know what my options are."

Alex' face lit up. "Let me look around."

Jack watched him as he walked around the house and slid under into the crawl space.

"If you include your back porch, you have a good size footprint. Your lot is also bigger than most. You can get a decent house, that's if it's what you want. You should come to see ours, just to get some ideas."

Jack loved Alex' house, especially his office. Alex said, "Jack you could have an office and more with the space you have. It all comes down to what you're willing to spend."

"We'd need to wait until fall."

"Good, because I'm booked now and this fall would be perfect for me to be working closer to home."

Alex looked at his pregnant wife and Jack felt like a kick in the gut. Jen must have sensed it, because she used a voice as annoying as when she was thirteen. "Oh God, does this mean I'll see you constantly."

Jack recovered and smiled. "Worse for me to have to see you, brat."

Alex said, "What the hell? Are you two ten or something?"

Jen smiled. "Something."

Jack needed to get a grip. He couldn't freak out when a husband was excited about his pregnant wife, even if it brought it all back in vivid color.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 9.5K 43
(Completed) When Patricia's daughter comes to her battered, she has to look at her own past as she helps her heal. As she focuses on mothering, she b...
35.7K 2.6K 15
(Complete) Michelle and Rob had lost one another to the pressures of their careers and life. Could Christmas on The Point help them find a spark and...
1.1M 5.1K 8
WARNING: CONTAINS MATURED CONTENT!!! IF YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T DEAL WITH THE EXPLICIT AND TRIGGERING SCENES WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK, THEN PLEASE, THIS BOOK...
44.1K 4.2K 28
(Complete) Rumors aren't new to the beach community. When an unidentified couple is seen kissing in the shadows and a beautiful stranger arrives the...