Charade (IPKKND AU)

By phatisari

(IPKKND AU) Some relationships are tied in extraordinary ways. They begin with conflict. They grow in hatred... More

Teaser 1
Teaser 2
Prologue
Chapter 1: Catastrophe
Chapter 2: Cataclysm
Chapter 3: Calamity
Chapter 4: Casualty
Chapter 5: Chaos
Chapter 6: Caged
Interlude: Anguish
Chapter 7: Consequences
Chapter 8: Collar
Chapter 9: Careless
Chapter 10: Choices
Chapter 11: Clothes
Chapter 12: Crimson
Chapter 13: Collision
Chapter 14: Crescendo
Chapter 15: Confession
Chapter 16: Confection
Chapter 17: Cherished
Interlude: Ambush
Chapter 18: Conversation
Chapter 19: Candour
Chapter 20: Celebration
Chapter 21: Caught
Chapter 22: Colours
Chapter 23: Chhote
Chapter 24: Clarity
Chapter 25: Candid
Chapter 26: Cobalt
Interlude: Avalanche
Chapter 27: Catering
Chapter 28: Caress
Chapter 29: Compromise
Chapter 30: Closer
Chapter 31: Clandestine
Chapter 32: Crave
Chapter 33: Coax
Chapter 34: Catalyst
Chapter 35: Constellation

Interlude: Alchemy

14.5K 581 210
By phatisari

Author's Note: This chapter has been a long time in the making. Sharing it is both terrifying and exhilarating. Please be gentle.

Interlude: Arnav

The contract he was reading seemed to blur. Arnav rubbed his eyes, utterly fed up with the antics of the supplier they were currently in negotiations with. And his plans for the rest of the evening left little time for a careful read-through.

I already hate this blasted wedding reception and it hasn't even started.

In fact, he thought he hated the wedding altogether. 

Khushi had left the running of her dabba service to Shukla while she attended the festivities with the rest of the family, which meant that he no longer saw her during the day. Any hopes he'd entertained about evenings spent at their private poolside had also been dashed. Instead, she'd been occupied with Payal and the rest of the family - organising outfits and presents and whatever else was required - and came to bed only when exhaustion forced her. 

The combination of gruelling hours at work and an inability to sleep until she was in his arms meant that he was exhausted right alongside her. 

He stifled a yawn as Khushi stepped into the room holding a tray and shouldered the door closed behind her. The tray held a single cup and a plate of samosas. She smiled as she placed it on the table before turning towards the bathroom.

Affection surged in his heart. "Where's yours?"

She turned, expression quizzical.

"Where's your tea?" Arnav elaborated, "Am I to eat and drink alone?"

"I ... I didn't ... I have to get ready."

"Come here."

He pulled her into his lap, ignoring her small noise of surprise as he settled her comfortably. Then he stretched for the cup and held it to her lips.

"Drink some with me."

Her eyes didn't leave his as she sipped. Arnav cleared his throat as his body stirred.

Damn, I miss her.

"How did you spend the day?" he asked, bringing the cup to his mouth.

He tightened his grip as Khushi shifted her weight, "Di took us to the temple in the morning and then we shopped for a few last-minute things."

"Did you use the money I gave you?"

Khushi nodded, sipping again from the cup as he offered it. 

Arnav set the cup on the table after finishing the last of the tea, "What are you wearing tonight?"

"The sari I bought. Black with a pink border."

"I'm a dead man," he groaned. 

The blouse she'd picked was tiny. Almost non-existent. He felt himself harden at the mere thought.

Khushi giggled, "It's black. That way we'll match."

"Oh yeah?" he laughed.

He pulled her in for a kiss, liking the way her fingers dug into his shoulder. She gasped when he bit her bottom lip gently, allowing him to slide his tongue against hers. She was a balm to the tumult inside him. Her hands moved restlessly under his sweater, seeking entry into his shirt.

He allowed his own hands to explore. Her shoulders, her neck, her collarbone.

Khushi made a quiet sound, arching towards him in an unmistakable demand for more. And despite countless promises to himself to take it slow, he was powerless to deny her. First, Arnav adjusted their positions so she straddled him as he leaned against the back of the sofa. She gasped with surprise.

He traced patterns at her waist, "Ssshhh, I've got you."

Twisting her hands between them, she looked down as her cheeks reddened. Arnav stilled the motion by placing his hand over hers. And then, as she watched, he unrolled his sleeves in a series of swift motions before stripping off his sweater. Khushi's eyes seemed to ignite with desire when he guided her fingers to his shirt and helped her unbuttoned it. Her reaction fueled his own. Her trembling fingers explored, her eyes hooded and her breath coming in pants. She traced his nipple. He throbbed.

Sometimes he felt that words only got in the way when it came to Khushi. And certainly, it seemed that way as he pulled her closer to kiss along her jaw and under her ear, finding the sensitive spot she liked so much.

I missed you.

Instantly, she went limp, clutching his sides as she buried her face against his neck, her breath hot on his skin. She whispered his name. Cupping her breast, he savoured the small noise she made as he circled the hardened peak he found easily through the fabric. 

She moved her hips, seeking friction, and his desire threatened to escape the chains that bound it.

"Haaarrriiii Praakkaaassshhh! Hello, hi, bye-bye, what's the point of all these servants if none are ever around when you need them?"

They froze. Fear crept into her eyes as she looked at him in the sudden quiet. But the bustle of Mami's footsteps disappeared down the corridor without stopping.

"Shit," he breathed, realizing their door wasn't locked.

He gathered Khushi close, threading his fingers into her hair as she trembled against him, still breathing hard. It was a long while before he could think properly.

"Better start getting ready," he kissed her cheek. "We have to leave soon."

Standing her on her feet, Arnav locked the door so they could get ready for the function in privacy. When he turned back, however, he saw that Khushi hadn't moved.

"What's wrong?"

She shook her head, hiding her face with her hair as she went to the wardrobe. Within seconds, he was next to her and lifting her chin so he could see her eyes.

"Khushi?" his heart stilled as he noted tears, "What happened?"

She hid in his chest instead of answering, her embrace tight and her silence bewildering. He rubbed soothing circles onto her back as he replayed the last few minutes, trying to understand what had changed. His hand slipped down to her hip. She trembled as her breath caught. He considered her reaction with a frown before sliding his hand up and around to rest where her ribcage ended. Another tremble.

Clarity slammed into him.

He had learned, in the months since she'd first fallen into his life, to restrain his desire with a will of iron. To keep it tightly within his control, to take things at her pace. He had learned, somewhat clumsily, to read her signals: when she needed space and when she was ready for more. He had learned not to push for more than she was willing to share.

But right now, she wanted more.

His body pulsed at the prospect even as his mind asked whether it was wise.

"Khushi ..."

She pressed closer, her fingers clawing into his skin. Aware that she was vulnerable, drugged by the strange alchemy of lust, Arnav tried to step back. But he was undone when she made a small sound, almost a moan. There had been another time when she'd been this willing to explore the desire that burned between them. An evening that still haunted him with the promise of what it could have been.

Arnav led his wife to the sofa, leaving her briefly to close the curtains and shut out the view of where he'd left her on Diwali

Never again.

Then he returned to her, settling on the sofa and pulling her down so she straddled him, exactly as she'd been before he'd allowed them to be interrupted.

"I'm not leaving you," he brushed his lips against hers. "I'm here."

It was what she needed. She kissed him -- hard -- and he opened his mouth to let her explore as she wished. When her hands fluttered over his shoulders before finding their way into his shirt, Arnav groaned and took control of their kiss so he could taste her again. Her touch -- which had earlier been soft and tentative -- became possessive and demanding as she grew bolder. He swore into her mouth.

She was wearing one of the new outfits, the ones with an overcoat that tied in front over a sleeveless dress. Air froze in his lungs when he tugged on the knot so it fell open. Khushi closed her eyes as he slid the material off her and dropped it carelessly next to the sofa. Then he ran his hands up and down her arms before leaning up to press light kisses to her neck.

"Does it ache?" he whispered into her ear. "Do you need me to make it better?"

Despite her bright blush, she nodded, pressing even closer.

He smiled, kissing her jaw, "Then I need you to be very quiet."

He worked his way down, kissing and licking her skin until he met the neckline of the dress. She whimpered as he slid his hands up her stomach, her breath hitching and then stopping altogether as he reached his destination. Her head fell back as she arched. He shaped her with his hands. Her sounds became louder when he found her nipples through the fabric. 

Fuck.

Leaning forward, he took her into his mouth and sucked through the dress as he unzipped it. Khushi moaned into his shoulder as he slid it off her shoulders and bunched it around her hips. Then he attacked her bra, taking only a moment to admire the pink lace before it joined the overcoat on the floor. She was gorgeous, her eyes closed and her head tipped back as she gripped his shoulders.

Taking her nipple into his mouth again, he rolled the other between his fingers. He watched her. When she bit her lip to muffle herself, he pressed his lips to hers and swallowed her sounds of pleasure instead. Her answering kiss was messy, her hands unfocused as they moved over his body. She stroked her nails across his stomach, her touch both agony and delight. 

He said her name against her mouth, unable to stop the rocking motion of his hips as he sought friction. A low moan was her only response, the heavy silk of her hair sliding across his skin as she moved with him. Placing a hand on her knee, he savoured her tremble as he worked up her thigh. She made a small, begging sound when he paused, driving him towards his destination until he touched her through the thin tights she wore. Khushi said in his name amidst inarticulate noises.

Realizing that she wasn't going to last much longer, Arnav slipped his hand into her waistband. He slid a finger along and inside her just in time to feel her contract. She cried out sharply as she fell, dropping her head to his shoulder as he circled his thumb around her to extend her pleasure.

She calmed slowly, her body limp in exhaustion and satiation. The general bustle of the household filtered into their silence. He became aware of just how not-quiet they'd been.

"Arnav?" her soft murmur interrupted his thoughts.

His heart sped up at the realisation that she'd taken his name without the -ji outside of their intimacy, but he forced himself not to react.

"Hmm? You back with me?" he teased instead.

His grip tightened as she hid her face and groaned in embarrassment.

"What were you about to say?" he prompted when it became clear that she wasn't going to continue.

"You really don't want me to wear the black sari?" she curled into him, sounding sleepy.

He thought back to their earlier conversation, "No, it's fine. It's perfect for the reception. And like you said, we'll match."

Khushi didn't reply. He looked down to see that she'd closed her eyes.

"Babe, don't fall asleep. We have to leave soon."

She moaned a protest, snuggling closer. He smiled.

"Okay, I'll tell Di we aren't doing."

"No!" she stirred, "I have to go with Jiji."

Arnav quirked an eyebrow, "With your Jiji, not with me?"

"Hush!"

He pulled her back down when she started to get up, kissing her softly before helping her back into her dress. Hurrying to the wardrobe to gather her things, Khushi blew him a kiss before disappearing into the bathroom. Arnav tried to banish the images that ran through his head as he imagined her under the water. It was not helping his ... situation. Instead, he forced himself to think of contracts and spreadsheets until he could walk again.

At the wardrobe, he fished out a small parcel that had gone untouched since he'd brought it home a few days ago. He pulled out a black tie with a single dark pink stripe running diagonally across it. It was not much, but it would match the sari perfectly. Then he selected his suit and shirt — all varying shades of black as his wife had predicted — and was contemplating how Khushi would react if he tried to join her when a knock sounded at the door.

"Chhote! Khushi-ji! Are you ready?"

Arnav hurriedly buttoned his shirt and smoothed down his hair before opening the door. Di seemed ready to go.

"Does Khushi-ji need any help?" she craned her neck. "And look at you! You haven't even changed!"

He stepped outside and closed the door so she wouldn't see the few clothes still piled around the sofa, "We're running a little late, Di. Just a few more minutes."

She eyed him sceptically, "Okay. We'll go with Nani, Mami and Mama, and you two can come with Aakash and Payal-ji."

When she was gone, Arnav tidied up their clothes before knocking on the bathroom door, "Khushi? Are you okay?"

A short pause, and then, "Yes!"

"We're taking Aakash and Payal," he informed her.

"Okay," the door swung open, "I'm ready!"

His eyes travelled down her body. She was breathtaking in black and pink. And that blouse really was tiny. Arnav ran a finger across her cheek, watching the way she closed her eyes and struggled to breathe. Her mouth was pliant and encouraging under his. Khushi shuddered, deepening their kiss, and the situation he thought he'd dealt with came back in full force.

Oh hell.

"Babe," he broke away. "I really need to shower."

"Oh!" she blushed. "We're late!"

Arnav smiled. Some days ago, her nonchalance about his situation by the poolside doors had birthed a suspicion that she was unaware of the mechanics of his body. It was now confirmed. 

"Ten minutes," he kissed her cheek. "Be ready."

He stripped down with the bathroom door locked behind him. His grin refused to go away. Desire still raced through him like wildfire, ignited anew by her sari. He made a quick decision as he stepped into the shower stall and braced himself with a hand on the wall. The other went to work as his mind replayed taking off her dress. Her pink bra framing her breasts. Her soft moans when he'd taken her into his mouth.

Her head falling onto his shoulder, her hair a midnight waterfall. Her nails clawing at his skin, desperate and wild. His name on her lips.

Her heat, silken with her need.

"Fuck," he closed his eyes.

Her sharp cry. The clench of her body around his finger, again and again and again.

He spilled with a low groan.

True to his word, he was out ten minutes later, dressed in slacks and a shirt. Khushi fiddled with a makeup kit as she sat at the mirror. Meeting his gaze in the reflection, she pouted.

"I don't know what to do with half of these things."

He approached with a frown, "Should I call Payal?"

"No, I'll just go without. We're running late."

"Give me a minute," he murmured. "Close your eyes."

She eyed him suspiciously before complying. He used his fingers, quickly dipping into the kit to swipe colour across her eyelids and pat rouge on her cheeks and lips.

"Okay," he announced when he was done.

Khushi turned warily to her reflection and gasped.

"Where did you learn that?!" another suspicious look.

Arnav snatched his tie from the bed after wiping his fingers on some tissues. "I work with models every day, Khushi. Almost done?"

She quickly applied kajal, "Done."

He shrugged into his waistcoat and jacket. Running to the bed, she slid into the shoes that waited while waving a small black and pink handbag at him.

"I bought this today!"

"It's nice," he changed his shoes and gestured to the door, "Make sure you have your phone. Let's go."

He noticed something missing as she hurried over.

"Sindoor," he reminded Khushi.

"Hai Devi Maiyya!"

In the ensuing flurry of activity, she dropped the pen she liked to use. Arnav snatched up the small golden pot on the table, "Come here."

She stilled, wide-eyed as he pinched the powder. A heady sense of love and possession rushed through him when he filled the part of her hair. 

"Arnav-ji ..."

Taking a deep breath to steady himself, he spoke softly. 

"When you look at me like that, it makes me think you don't know that I'm in love with you."

He pretended not to notice the way she'd frozen in shock and bent to kiss her. "Don't destroy me, Khushi."

Her bottom lip quivered.

"Don't ruin all my hard work by crying," he turned towards the door.

She caught up with him before he'd taken five steps along the corridor, and wrapped her hands around his bicep.

"I don't know anyone there," she worried.

"The whole family will be there," he dropped a kiss to her hair, "and I'll stay with you as much as I can."

He bent to whisper in her ear as they rounded the corner and saw Aakash and Payal waiting on the couches downstairs, "And later tonight, maybe we can practise being quiet again?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.3K 2.3K 5
#1 in Romance on Oct 2018...#6 out of 7K in 2017 on March 2019/ . A heartfelt thanks to All for making it happen... A Story of a man who broke all th...
333K 13.3K 49
It is a love hate story. When two people fall in love but their surrounding is just filled with hate... they do fight with their love but is it enoug...
18.6K 1.6K 10
They met at very wrong time but they end up together?
372K 14.6K 45
Arnav and Khushi are in deep love but time will do them apart as incidents fall in place but they will find happiness and closure as clarifications a...