Tenebrous β†  Volturi Kings {1}...

By LiveLaughLoki

Rowan Ailes has always taken solace in the comfort of darkness. It was darkness that pulled her into its embr... More

Summary
Cast
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
010
011
012
013
014
015
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
034
035
036
037
038
039
040
041
042
043
044
045
Epilogue
Sequel Announcement

016

34.3K 1K 373
By LiveLaughLoki

"For the record, I think this is a very bad idea," Edward said, his fingers tight against the steering wheel.

I rolled my eyes from where I sat, sprawled out in the backseat. "It'll be fine, Ed. You know the wolves don't harm humans."

"Yeah. It's just Jacob," Bella inputted, reaching out to squeeze one of Edward's hands. He responded instantly to her touch, twining his fingers through hers.

"We won't be long, regardless. I don't want to make the guard too uneasy," I said.

He let out a sharp, unneeded breath as Jacob's car came into view. Jacob was leaned against the hood, clad only in jean shorts and sneakers. I wondered if his lack of a shirt was partially in his fruitless attempt at pursuing Bella.

Edward snarled at my thought, and Bella jumped. "What, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, sorry," he said softly. "Just one of Rowan's thoughts."

"Sorry," I said, as Edward's Volvo slowed to a stop. I swung out of it as soon as Edward put it in park, standing with him as Bella greeted Jacob.

I love Bella, but is she seriously oblivious to Jacob's thing for her? I thought, knowing Edward was listening.

He raised a shoulder in a shrug. "Your guess is as good as mine. Be careful down there, okay? And keep an eye on Bella."

"She's safer with me than you," Jacob drawled, his smug expression clearly irritating Edward.

I placed a hand on Edward's arm. "That's enough. Jacob, let's go. Bella let the secret slip, so we're only here long enough for me to chat with Sam and Jared."

"Fine," Jacob sighed, and I crossed the treaty line reluctantly to climb into Jacob's car. Jacob didn't drive nearly as fast as any of the Cullens, leaving Jacob ample time to complain about how much I "smelled like leech".

"Jacob?" I said, after the fifth consecutive time that he remarked this, "Kindly shut the hell up."

Mercifully, he left me alone after this and instead focused his attention solely on Bella, who didn't seem to mind. Still, the car ride felt very long and I was thankful when I was able to clamor out as soon as Jacob slowed it to a stop.

"You're that kid the Cullen adopted!" One said, after greeting both Jacob and Bella. He didn't seem quite as thrilled to meet me.

"That would be me," I drawled, refusing to be intimidated. I knew that was what they wanted. "Which one are you?"

"I'm Quill," he said. "Jake tell you that Sam and Jared want to talk to you?"

"Bella did, that's why I'm here," I said.

"This is Sam's house, you can come on in. He's on patrol, but Jared is here so you can hang out while you wait for him to get back," Quill said.

"Great," I said, doing my best to be friendly even as Quill mentioned that I stunk of vampire. "Yeah, that is what happens when you live with them."

"What's that like?" he asked curiously.

I shrugged. "Like any other family, except they don't eat or sleep. It was weird at first, but it doesn't bother me now. Plus, it helps to have them around when I'm doing homework."

"I never thought of that," he remarked, holding the door for me. I entered first, instantly getting the total attention of the room. Not many wolves were present: only four, including Quill and Jacob. "This is the Cullen kid, guys. Rowan, meet Paul and Jared."

"Pleasure," I said, offering them nods in turn. Jared returned the offered nod; Paul, however, simply snarled at me and brushed past as he headed outside.

"Seems friendly," I remarked dryly, willing my pulse to slow.

"He's not happy that Sam invited you here, don't take it personal," Jared said. "How long have you lived with the Cullens?"

"Four years, since I was fourteen. Best decision I ever made," I said, adamant in defending my family against their prejudice. "Sam supposed to be back soon?"

"Yeah, any minute now. He's out on patrol with Embry. They thought they caught whiff of some unfamiliar vamps earlier, and wanted to run an extra patrol this afternoon just to be safe."

I nodded, and was relieved when Jared struck up conversation with Quill, leaving me to take a seat beside Bella. A woman walked into the kitchen. She couldn't have been very old, perhaps mid-twenties at most. Her most distinguishing feature was the claw marks that tore down the side of her face. I knew better than to stare.

"Are you Rowan? Sam mentioned you might be coming down today, I hope everyone has been friendly," she said, offering me a kind yet hesitant smile. "I'm Emily."

"Everyone has been perfectly civil," I assured her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Bella's mentioned you before. Apparently your cooking is to die for."

She beamed, and I knew I had said the right thing since she pulled out a large bag of cookies and offered me one. "Just be glad I hid these from the boys, otherwise they'd be gone by now!"

"Thanks, they look delicious!" I said, taking one of the large cookies. I took a bite. It was soft and bursting with flavor, and I sent her a thumbs up of approval.

She laughed. "I'm glad you like it."

The door opened then, admitting entrance to a massive man who was trailed by a shorter, but no less intimidating, companion. I assumed this was Sam, as he made a beeline straight for Emily. The other must be Embry. He cast me a curious glance but said nothing, instead reaching for the cookies Emily left out.

"Rowan, I'm glad you could come down," Sam said. His voice was deep and rumbling.

"It's no trouble," I said, finishing the cookie with a large bite. His lips twitched upwards like he wanted to smile.

Instead, he addressed everyone else in the kitchen. "I need the house, please. Jared and I have things to discuss with Rowan."

There was authority in his voice, and while it had no particular effect on me the wolves immediately stood and left, trailed after by Bella. Emily too left the room after pecking Sam on the cheek.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, leaning back in my chair. They glanced at one another before Sam spoke.

"First, we want to ensure that the Cullens are not harming you in any way," Sam said, his arms crossed and face serious.

I shook my head vehemently. "No, no, never. They saved my life, and they've never given me any reason to fear them. Plus, would they really let me come down here if they were hurting me? They know they can't cross the line with me."

Jared nodded. "Fair enough. Second, you know the particulars of the treaty, do you not? The Cullens cannot change you."

"I am aware," I said, carefully minding my words. I didn't want to give away my new position as queen of the vampire world. "If I am to be changed, then it will be of my own choice, and I will do it in a way as to leave the Cullens blameless of the affair."

"If that is the case, will you hold the same treaty with us as the rest of your family?" Sam asked.

"Yes. I will not be a threat to the lives of your people."

"Good," Jared said. "The unfamiliar vampires we smelled earlier, do you know anything about them?"

"A bit. They're no threat to you, they know not to cross the border," I said.

Sam looked suspicious, but did not press forward. "Very well. Take care that your family keeps the treaty."

"I will," I said, standing. "It was good to meet you."

"I'll drive you back to the border," Jared offered. "Bella will probably be here a bit longer."

"That would be great. Thanks."

I texted Emmett to meet me at the border, and he drilled me with questions as soon as we were safely on our way. "What did the mutts want?"

"To make sure you guys weren't hurting me and to remind me that you can't change me or you'll break the treaty," I explained. "Basically what I was expecting. They're not quite so bad, though, besides Paul. Though I don't think we'll ever be bosom buddies."

Emmett laughed. "Yeah, I doubt it. I'm glad you're okay, Ro."

"If anything happened, I could just use my gift. But thanks," I said, shooting him a smile. He returned it, hand reaching out to ruffle my hair as he pulled into the drive.

The weeks flew by, and before I knew it graduation was barely a week away. Finals were over and I was now looking forward to seeing my mates again. They were scheduled to arrive in two days, and with my constant giddy happiness and anticipation Jasper had taken to me like a second shadow, appreciating the positive emotions I was exuding.

"We're so excited to see you, mia cara," Aro told me during our nightly phone call.

"Two days," Caius said, and I was able to hear his smile through the phone.

"But who's counting, right?" I joked, grinning.

"Us, of course," Marcus said.

"Rowan, I need you!" Alice popped her head into my room. "Come with me for a second? Sorry to interrupt."

"No worries. Alice needs me, though I'm sure you heard her," I told them, rolling off of my bed and onto my feet to follow her.

"We did. Would it be better if you called back?" Marcus asked, forever considerate.

Alice nodded at me, so I agreed. "That would be great. I'll call you back in five."

Once the call was ended, I tucked my phone safely in my pocket as Alice skipped merrily down the hall. "So what did you need, Alice?"

"You'll see," she sang as we came upon the stairs. "Okay, close your eyes."

"I'm not closing my eyes as I go down the stairs, Alice. That's how humans break their necks."

She rolled her eyes. "I won't let you fall. Just trust me."

"That seems dangerous," I remarked dryly, but consented and closed my eyes. "Why do I have to do this?"

"Please just bear with me," she said, laughing as I squawked when she scooped me up and brought me down the stairs.

"Alice, what the hell-"

"You can open your eyes now!" I was placed back on my feet, and when I opened my eyes all indignation towards her vanished at the sight in front of me.

"Aro, Caius, Marcus! You're early!" I shrieked, tripping over my feet in my haste to get to them and tumbling straight into Caius' arms.

"I missed you," he murmured in my ear, swiftly kissing my temple before releasing me to greet his brothers. I wrapped Marcus in a hug first, and he drew in a breath of my scent.

"It's so good to see you," he said.

"You too. I missed you," I told him.

I greeted Aro last, taking the hand he offered to share my thoughts. He spun me into his chest, laughing as I did.

"What are you doing here two days early?" I asked, once everyone had settled in my bedroom. Caius and Marcus were on my either side, much to Aro's displeasure, though he was satisfied when he finally settled with his head resting on my stomach and the rest of his body draped partially over my legs.

"We settled a dispute sooner than we thought and wanted to surprise you," Marcus said, stroking a hand through my hair. I was half-lying on his chest, lulled by the vibrations of his voice.

"It's been agony without you," Caius murmured lazily, his nose pressed into the crook of my neck.

"He's been insufferable," Aro informed me.

I laughed slightly, amusement heightened as Caius pressed himself even more snugly into my side. "Agony," Caius repeated, his voice muffled.

"Will you be coming straight back to Volterra with us after graduation?" Marcus asked.

"That's the plan," I said.

"Fantistico," Marcus said, pleased.

"There is, perhaps, something we should inform you of first," Aro said, sounding slightly hesitant.

Caius propped himself up at this. "Aro, is now..."

"She deserves to know," Aro said, propping himself up as well.

I narrowed my eyes. "What haven't you told me?"

"Tesoro, we have lived for a very long time," Marcus said gently. "We assumed we would never find you, so after a time, we chose to... take wives."

There was a moment of stiff silence in which I processed what I had just been told. And then, "You did what?!"

Edited 4/16/2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 3.6K 25
"You shouldn't have come" Β° Β° Β° After leaving the Cullen and her brother, Irene is travelling around the world, running away from the Volturi. Leavin...
266K 7K 27
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have gotten inside him, or into the air all around him. She had be...
80.9K 1.8K 18
Rowen is the elder more methodical and calculating half sister of Isabella swan. While Bella was whisked away to live with her mom ReneΓ©. Rowen staye...
1.9M 49.7K 98
she had high hopes she would have a great ending to her life, but moving in with her dad and falling in love with a boy she shouldn...