1. Macabre Marmalade (COMPLET...

By Snirion

The Knitting of the Realms changed the world forever and transported Todor Corpus three centuries into the fu... More

I (1.1)
II (1.2)
III (1.3)
IV (2.1)
V (2.2)
VI (3.1)
VII (3.2)
VIII (4.1)
IX (4.2)
X (5.1)
XI (5.2)
XII (5.3)
XIII (6.1)
XIV (6.2)
XV (6.3)
XVI (7.1)
XVII (7.2)
XVIII (8.1)
XIX (8.2)
XX (9.1)
XXI (9.2)
XXII (10.1)
XXIII (10.2)
XXIV (11.1)
XXV (11.2)
XXVI (12.1)
XXVII (12.2)
XXVIII (13.1)
XXIX(13.2)
XXX (14.1)
XXXI (14.2)
XXXII (15.1)
XXXIII (15.2)
XXXIV (16.1)
XXXV (16.2)
XXXVII (17.1)
XXXVIII (17.2)
XXXIX (17.3)
XL (18.1)
XLI (18.2)
XLII (18.3)
XLIII (19.1)
XLIV (19.2)
XLV (19.3)
XLVI (20.1)
XLVII (20.2)
XLVIII (20.3)
XLIX (20.4)
L (Epilogue)

XXXVI (16.3)

21 7 9
By Snirion

Todor woke up with Cassandra's pissed face in front of him.

"What the fuck happened here?" she barked in half angry, half worried tone.

"Midnight Breeze sent some goons to look for Ezezu," he said weakly. "I used combat potion and strength enhancing spell to fight them off. It was a bit of an overkill. Midnight Breeze underestimated me and I his desire to wreck this city apart."

"That is great, but now you are drained and weak as the kitten. That wouldn't be bad at all if this wasn't the morning of your first day at work," Cassandra said straightening up and putting fists on her hips. "You should have woken me up. Together we could have sent these clowns packing without you straining yourself so much."

Ezezu buzzed in his mind. I dispelled the strength enhancement and alchemical bonus as well, she informed him.

"Why would you do that?" he said out loud. Cassandra looked at him strangely, worry in her eyes. Todor smiled and pointed at his head before he mimicked talking with his palm. She squinted at him and then nodded.

Because, if I let both of those ravage your body for hours while you slept, you would be one big bruise by now. And woke with a craving to devour an entire cow. Now you will get back on your feet once you get some food in your belly.

"Well, it's great I have both of you to worry about me," Todor said mildly.

"What did the Maharoon said?" Cassandra's eager face warmed as she helped him get on his feet.

"That she dispelled the enhancement spell we used early. Now I can be good as new with just a large meal instead of being bedridden for an entire week," Todor explained. He took a sit on a bloody sofa letting out a sigh. The severed arm still decorated the seat next to him which reminded Todor that he murdered again. What was worse he felt nothing for those whose lives he ended prematurely.

"I'll call my half brother to clean this mess up and make bodies disappear. Order some food too. It's your big day, we can't let something little as multiple murders in your own home stop you from going to work," Cassandra rambled with a smile across her face.

"Most women would look for the nearest door right about now," Todor said sadly.

"Well, most women are not clan Warchiefs. Things like this happened in my life all the time," she reassured him.

At that moment Todor was sure he didn't want Cassandra to leave from his life. A warm feeling of care spread through his chest as he stared at her. It made him want to jump on his feet and grab her to slam a scorching kiss on that quirky smile. But he refrained from doing that, which was easier considering he would have trouble getting up. There will be time for that later.

Two hours after Todors stomach was full and his living room was free of dead bodies. Morgosh, antique pawn shop owner and Cassandra's half brother came with a couple of large half-breeds and drove them off somewhere. Large tattooed man didn't ask about what happened, only if he was happy with his book. Todor just nodded and with a promise he will drop by at his shop for a talk said their goodbyes. Which left him with bloody ruined living room but he could think about that once his first day at work goes smoothly.

He tried to put the night escapade behind him and focus at the path ahead of him. Ignoring what the vampire said before he killed him was hard. While he showered, dressed and equipped himself the words sailed into his forefront. He wants to take over Moriganhold, Ezezu. That is big. I shouldn't have killed him. He might have had more information. He clamped the belt over the coat with sword and dagger on his left and pistol holstered below his right armpit. With the weight of the blades settling around his hips he glanced at the railgun. You don't know when golem or forest fires will spring up around you. Better bring it with you, Ezezu suggested which made Todor chuckle. He took her advice to heart and slang the weapon on his shoulder. Heavily armed and stocked up on potions he strolled to the subway entrance.

He cursed the Midnight Breeze from bringing those golem totting cultist into town. That left him without his prized car which forced him to use public transport on his first day to work. He hummed softly, ignoring the looks he got as he entered the train. Being heavily armed was not uncommon in the city. Flaunting it as he did was either a message don't mess with me or opposite, come here for a fight. He hoped people would see it as the first and not the second.

This metal snakes that slithers underground are fast, Ezezu proclaimed after five minutes of silence. Todor stifled a chuckle. Yeah very, useful form of transpiration, he agreed as he smiled at the little boy who was staring at his sword and dagger. The boy gave him a toothy grin in return.

The train stopped at the station that was two minutes away from the Governor's building in the very center of the city. Governer Holanador Muffonrox Belleroha Bloodbeak managed to somehow provide fertile ground for a modern metropolis to flourish while having the minimal police force. She accomplished that by pitting bigger gangs against each other in a sort of cold war. The order was maintained by gang soldiers in their own territory. Every one of which had their own code of honor or law. It worked somehow but if Midnight Breeze plans to overtake the city he must have planned something. He either has an army of bloodsuckers or he has something other in mind, Todor wondered idly as he walked towards the huge skyscraper that was Holandors headquarters.

He was summarily ejected from his train of thought when Ezezu mentally gasped in his mind. What kind of magic makes it pierce the clouds? She said in wonder. What are you talking about? Todor retorted grumpily, trying to relax his nerves. I thought something dangerous is coming at us. Ezezu sent a wave of sheepish embarrassment before speaking again. This building is so huge! I never saw such a thing.

Todor stopped in front of the Holandors headquarters and laughed out loud. Few pedestrians spared him a glance but quickly moved on when they saw his swords and a railgun on his back. Thank you for that, Todor said to Ezezu in his mind. For what? I was just being stupid, gawking at the sights of the city, Ezezu responded grumpily. It calmed my nerves, Todor retorted as he walked towards the entrance. Oh, sure. Laugh at the little ghost girl from the dawn of time, she said more warmly.

The Anadori guards at the door stood in his way, looking at him suspiciously.

"Do you have an appointment?" One of them asked taking out a tablet and swiping across the screen.

"I do," Todor replied simply, swallowing the sarcastic retort he had in mind.

"Name?" He asked in a tone that said he was sure he will not find it.

"Todor Corpus. Your new boss," Todor retorted in a deadpan voice.

"Tod ..." Guard recoiled looking at him, then at his weapons. The man tilted his head nervously before he took a phone out. He spoke quickly for a minute before returning his attention to Todor. "You can come in sir. Sorry for the delay. It's just protocol. The last floor, Governor is expecting you."

Todor strolled into the elevator and pressed the button for the last floor. Why are we in the broom closet? Ezezu asked curiously. The elevator hummed and it started rising. You'll see, Todor said to her cryptically. The doors opened and two women and one man entered. Ezezu gasped in understanding. This box is climbing the tower! She exclaimed in his mind, making it hard for Todor to keep his face straight.

The elevator dinged at the last floor and Todor strolled out. His mage sense quested outwardly from him, checking for dangers and anything unexpected. While his coats radar sent him data to his glasses providing with information he couldn't have otherwise. All and all, he felt confided that nothing can surprise him when he was on alert. Even so he still felt a slight unease when he walked to the counter.

Young Anadori male set there in front of the regular computer screen. He brought his yellow eyes at Todor and blinked.

"You are mister Todor?" he uttered in surprise.

"That is I," Todor replied flatly.

"Governor is in her office, you can come in right away."

Todor nodded and walked briskly to the door. Without knocking he pushed the door and strolled in. The Governor's office was a large room with a nice view of the city. Holanador sat behind the heavy desk writing something with a pen. The familiar form of agent Hillard stood to her right shoulder. Both of their eyes focused on Todor.

"Ah, my new constable. I see you well equipped yourself. That is good," she said in her no-nonsense tone Todor remembered from her manor.

"I am here. And I came with a warning. Midnight Breeze is planning a coup," he said closing the door behind himself.

Governor looked at him sharply before shaking her head.

"None of that mister Corpus. I will not have you using your title as my constable to wage your private wars. I know you and Mister Breeze had your differences before but he assured him that ..."

"He told you a pack of lies. Two of his vamps together with two cultists and two humans showed up at my house last night and ransacked my living room in a search for my maharoon."

"How are you still alive then?" agent Hillard spoke for the first time.

"I murdered both vamps and cultists. One of the cultists was Anadori mage, the other was Morg warrior. I let two humans go back to send a message to Mister Breeze," Todor confessed.

The man laughed out loud.

"You can't possibly think Governor would believe such an unlikely story. We had a van parked outside of your home, they would have called if anything like that happened."

"Hillard, get out and contact the detail we had keeping an eye on our new constable," Holanador said in cold voice.

"But ma'am," the agent protested.

"No buts, get out. I will call you when I need you."

The man nodded and glared at Todor as he passed him on his way out. As soon as the door slapped shut behind him Holanador got up on her feet and started pacing.

"That is not good, Mister Corpus," she said calmly even though her body language betrayed her distress.

"Why? I hope you are not scared of that old vampire?" Todor prodded her. She stopped walking and sent him an ice glance.

"If it was just me I would have gone into his lair and cleared entire brood out," she said bitterly.

"So why don't you?"

"Because I need to run the entire city. And you can't run a city without money. Which Midnight Breeze has a lot," Holanador admitted sourly.

"Even so, if he gets over the line you must do something," Todor suggested.

"He is smart. Or I should say smart enough to dance that line without crossing it," she looked at Todor squinting slightly. "By the Saint Trinoxia's cunt, you reawakened your mana furnace," she exclaimed happily.

"I did, although my mana regeneration is abysmal," Todor said uncomfortably.

"That is good. We might have a chance of keeping this city as a bastion in the upcoming storm," she went back to her chair and started writing. "But don't make any moves against Midnight Breeze. I swear it if I hear you attacked or killed his people without reason I will come and personally slap some sense into you."

"I can't promise anything. I will say this, I will stay away from him and his men as much as I can," Todor said. For now. But if he gives me the reason I will rid this city of his taint. "One of his vamps confessed that Midnight Breeze was the one who invited the cultists into the city."

"That is great and all but do you have the proof?" Holanador looked at him and nodded. "Well, next time they come knocking and spilling beans don't murder them."

"Yes, ma'am," Todor replied tightly.

The door opened and Hillard poked his head into the room.

"What is it, Hillard? Told you to not come unless I call you," Governor said sternly.

"Yes, ma'am but ... Mister Breeze is in the lobby of the building and demands an audience."

Todor and Holanador looked at each other, understanding flowing through them.

"Will you behave?" Governor asked him.

"I'll do my best,"Todor replied, his jaw locking in place.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2K 808 99
Biblical Inspiration for today's Prayer Warriors!
2.7K 770 81
What would you do if you woke to find a door in your room? No, not an ordinary, well-behaved door that stays in the wall where it belongs, but one st...
227K 3.8K 59
𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ π–¬π–Ίπ—‚π—Œπ—‚π–Ύ 𝖦𝗋𝖾𝖾𝗇, 𝖺 𝗐𝖾𝗅𝗅-π—„π—‡π—ˆπ—π—‡ π–Όπ—ˆπ—‡π—π–Ύπ—‡π— π–Όπ—‹π–Ύπ–Ίπ—π—ˆπ—‹ π—‚π—Œ 𝖽𝖾𝗆𝖺𝗇𝖽𝖾𝖿 π—π—ˆ 𝗉𝖺𝗋𝗍𝗇𝖾𝗋 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝖬...
1.2M 88.6K 23
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series (But can be read standalone ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spr...